Case Keenum 3-1

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
@Elmgrovegnome

Keenum is not Alex Smith level if that's what you are claiming. I'm not expecting the next Rams QB to be league MVP like A-Rod (that would be nice of course) but I expect him to be better than what the ceiling of Keenum is. Keenum hasn't accomplished much outside of STL. He's got us some wins, but we don't win much when QB's put up what he put up today. I'm not knocking his performance today. He played mistake free and managed well but if the team is ever going to take a step out of mediocrity it will need a QB that can take over games every once and a while. If the best you can hope from your QB is 200 yards and 1 TD while praying he doesn't make any turnovers, then you are going to need to have an amazing defense that plays up the level of outstanding week in week out. In the NFL this is difficult if not impossible due to injury, natural regression, salary, and personal changes in staff and players.

Keenum has done well and won games, but there have been plenty of QBs to come into spot duty and win a few, then go on to flame out. Kevin Kolb, Austin Davis, Tim Tebow, Jason Campbell, Bruce Gradkowski, and currently guys like Gabbert or Brandon Weeden in Houston now, or Hoyer in Houston and Cleveland.

The point is, it would be a mistake to go into next season with Keenum penciled in at the #1 QB spot.

How do you know his ceiling? Will he be a top ten QB? Duobtful. Does a team with a good running game and great defense have to have a top ten QB? Ask Trent Dilfer.

And how can you tell Keenum cannot be at Alex Smith's level when you cannot realistically compare them. Smith has years of experience starting and was not good at times. Keenum has 8 starts over three years. Maybe he just needs a real chance?

Ram Man

Rookie
It is more likely than not that Case Keenum will be playing for a different team next year. It boils down to player contracts and roster spots available. Assume that there will be roster spots for 3 quarterbacks next year. The team will have a new QB on the roster when the regular season starts next year. There is little chance of the Rams staying 100% with what they have at QB. Either a decent veteran quarterback or a 1st or 2nd round draft pick quarterback will take one of the 3 QB spots. Not sure which direction the team will go in for the new quarterback but if they go with a veteran quarterback, it'll be one that is brought in to start with a contract to reflect that.

Nick Foles ain't going anywhere next year. His contract and performance are such that he can't be traded. Cutting him would trigger about $7-8M in dead money depending on whether he got the June 1st cut designation. That's a lot. The cap benefit to cutting Foles would only be the avoidance of his very low 2016 base salary of $1.75M. That's it. In summary, big dead money hit if Foles gets cut and little benefit in avoiding his low 2016 salary.

Sean Mannion will be on the roster next year. He is a developmental 3rd round pick that the team sees potential in. Young, no-name developmental quarterbacks who never play have no trade value. Mannion is obviously more valuable to the Rams than to anyone else. It is very unlikely the Rams will cut him to create a roster spot for another QB. He'll be given the opportunity to learn and progress which is wise given the situation.

Keenum has no contract for next year. He is the most likely candidate to be gotten rid of to create a roster spot for another quarterback. He is the only Rams QB with any trade value. The Rams may end up getting a 4th or 5th round pick for him. If not they'll cut him at some point before the season starts.

Tough break for Keenum, but the team is going to try and upgrade the QB spot either in the draft or via free agency. Keenum will be the odd man out.

jjab360

Legend
It is more likely than not that Case Keenum will be playing for a different team next year. It boils down to player contracts and roster spots available. Assume that there will be roster spots for 3 quarterbacks next year. The team will have a new QB on the roster when the regular season starts next year. There is little chance of the Rams staying 100% with what they have at QB. Either a decent veteran quarterback or a 1st or 2nd round draft pick quarterback will take one of the 3 QB spots. Not sure which direction the team will go in for the new quarterback but if they go with a veteran quarterback, it'll be one that is brought in to start with a contract to reflect that.

Nick Foles ain't going anywhere next year. His contract and performance are such that he can't be traded. Cutting him would trigger about $7-8M in dead money depending on whether he got the June 1st cut designation. That's a lot. The cap benefit to cutting Foles would only be the avoidance of his very low 2016 base salary of $1.75M. That's it. In summary, big dead money hit if Foles gets cut and little benefit in avoiding his low 2016 salary.

Sean Mannion will be on the roster next year. He is a developmental 3rd round pick that the team sees potential in. Young, no-name developmental quarterbacks who never play have no trade value. Mannion is obviously more valuable to the Rams than to anyone else. It is very unlikely the Rams will cut him to create a roster spot for another QB. He'll be given the opportunity to learn and progress which is wise given the situation.

Keenum has no contract for next year. He is the most likely candidate to be gotten rid of to create a roster spot for another quarterback. He is the only Rams QB with any trade value. The Rams may end up getting a 4th or 5th round pick for him. If not they'll cut him at some point before the season starts.

Tough break for Keenum, but the team is going to try and upgrade the QB spot either in the draft or via free agency. Keenum will be the odd man out.
Incredibly insightful for a first post, but if Keenum flat out outplays Foles or Mannion in TC and preseason, I don't think you can justify keeping the lesser QB if you actually care about winning games.

Ultimately, depending on what kind of new QB we sign or draft, we probably end up trying to stash Mannion on the PS or just bite the bullet on the Foles contract, he's proven to be worth next to nothing at this point anyway tbh.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sounds like you agree with me. I didn't say the Rams would be undefeated...I just think they would have won one or two more games had he been the starter all year. But we all know about hindsight.....

Maybe. My only issue is...maybe we win 1 or 2 more games that we didn't win but do we still beat the Cardinals? Foles made some pretty major plays in that game.

Ram Man

Rookie
Incredibly insightful for a first post, but if Keenum flat out outplays Foles or Mannion in TC and preseason, I don't think you can justify keeping the lesser QB if you actually care about winning games.

Ultimately, depending on what kind of new QB we sign or draft, we probably end up trying to stash Mannion on the PS or just bite the bullet on the Foles contract, he's proven to be worth next to nothing at this point anyway tbh.

Mannion is a 3rd round QB. He'd be picked up by another team within 24 hours of being placed on the Ram's practice squad. Unfortunately, Mannion to the practice squad is not an option.

Foles is due a $6M signing bonus if he's on the team on March 18th. The Rams will make their decision on whether to trade, cut or keep him for the season LONG before any preseason games get played.

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2015/11/21/9747852/the-implications-of-nick-foles-contract-extension

The team will need to open up a QB slot for a new quarterback. To do that the Rams will have to get rid of one of their current QB's. The logical candidate is Keenum.

I suppose the team could try and force one of the existing QB's to go on injured reserve with a promise to bring them back during the season. That's risky but might be a possibility as a means to open up a roster spot for a 4th QB.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mannion is a 3rd round QB. He'd be picked up by another team within 24 hours of being placed on the Ram's practice squad. Unfortunately, Mannion to the practice squad is not an option.

Foles is due a $6M signing bonus if he's on the team on March 18th. The Rams will make their decision on whether to trade, cut or keep him for the season LONG before any preseason games get played.

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2015/11/21/9747852/the-implications-of-nick-foles-contract-extension

The team will need to open up a QB slot for a new quarterback. To do that the Rams will have to get rid of one of their current QB's. The logical candidate is Keenum.

I suppose the team could try and force one of the existing QB's to go on injured reserve with a promise to bring them back during the season. That's risky but might be a possibility as a means to open up a roster spot for a 4th QB.

Foles's roster bonus is guaranteed. But they should cut him anyways. Only saves $750,000 but his roster spot is worth more.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
How do you know his ceiling? Will he be a top ten QB? Duobtful. Does a team with a good running game and great defense have to have a top ten QB? Ask Trent Dilfer.

And how can you tell Keenum cannot be at Alex Smith's level when you cannot realistically compare them. Smith has years of experience starting and was not good at times. Keenum has 8 starts over three years. Maybe he just needs a real chance?

How do I know his ceiling? I don't necessarily, but I can make a pretty good guess based on his physical limitations and previous performances. Keenum isn't going to reach the level of Smith's consistency or ability. Alex Smith is more physically talented than Keenum and has consistently performed year in year out for the Chiefs. He may be underwhelming at times, but his ability to scramble and accuracy is better than Keenum's and even Smith needs help. That said, his track record backs him a whole lot better. What evidence do we have that Case is going to be able to put in consistently good games for this team? Consistency is what separates bad QBs from great ones. He did very well against the Bucs and did just enough against Seattle. What about the Ravens game where he looked like he didn't belong on an NFL team? The Lions game where he had a pick and 124 yards with a QB rating under 60? Good thing Todd took over for him. Just over 100 yards and a touchdown against the Hawks isn't going to take you far unless we're talking about those being running back numbers. I don't mean to rag on the guy, but his production doesn't indicate that he can be a franchise type guy or consistently move the team to the playoffs or even winning records if not for immense talent on both sides helping.

Does a team with a good running game and great D have to have a top ten QB? No. Asking Trent Dilfer isn't going to help me answer that. The difference being that Dilfer didn't have just a great defense, he had a historically great defense. A team that will forever be remembered as having one of the best defenses ever. It's getting harder and harder to have defenses like this and it's not like things like this are easy to maintain. Didn't the Lions have an amazing defense last year? Some would say they were historically great in run defense and had a ball hawking secondary? That fell hard this year. Dilfer's 12 TDs to 11 INTs wouldn't cut it in today's league. Keenum hopefully wouldn't put up such awful stats, but who knows. He's got a nice streak going here and the wins mask any deficiencies we would peck at had he lost the games, but that doesn't mean they aren't there. I like Case, but he just can't be trusted with the starter job out the gate next year. Back-up and spot starter is where he most likely needs to stay.

I know you're probably going to say he could get better with a full off-season and more O-linemen and weapons, but that can be said for almost anyone. Then the question is, how much better can he get? I don't think the improvement will be worth passing up a good QB prospect. I just feel like it would be best to draft a QB high and think he has a better chance of leading a team to consistent success than a undrafted QB who has bounced between a couple of teams and put up decent at best numbers when filling in for an injured or under-performing starter. Who would you rather place your faith with? I find it hard to believe we found this diamond in the ruff type guy that can keep us afloat. More likely, he's a good stop-gap like the previous QBs I mentioned, not the next Brady, Hasselbeck, or even Bulger. Besides, why stick with barely scraping by at the most important position in football, when you can take a chance at getting a franchise type guy at that spot? If you don't have a QB you think can be your unquestioned starter for the next 10 years or so, then why not look for someone you think can be?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If he was 6'5", would your opinion be different?
And had a cannon, and great anticipation....I need a strong arm, and a guy that processes information quickly....You gotta be able to stretch the field...Case's arm doesn't really allow that.

Dieter Brock won some games, too.
Dieter Brock...ROY.....it is what it is....ahahahahahahah...and I loved Dieter....Rutledge too....and Jack Kemp's son....Hell, I liked Haden...

Case just proves, any decent QB would win with the way this defense plays sometimes...in fact, decent QB play, makes the defense look better...So, don't go overboard, it is what it is....

Somebody said it above, due to Foles extension, it makes retaining Keenum a luxury..Foles probably stays to be the backup...A rookie and Mannion battle for the starter position....

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
And had a cannon, and great anticipation....I need a strong arm, and a guy that processes information quickly....You gotta be able to stretch the field...

Well how exactly are you planning on getting that guy? That's Andrew Luck!!!
QBs like that don't come around all that often and when they do, you need the first or second pick to take them...

If we have a shot a getting someone like that, I'm all in...
But if we dont, I'll take Keenum keeping us in games and making the necessary plays to win over a developmental guy who is more likely to fail than to work out, because that's the way it usually goes with QBs who are not top 15 picks.

I don't see a journeyman who will be available who possesses those traits either. They all have holes, just like Keenum does.
The difference is CK knows this offense, these players and has shown to be up to it thus far.

Again, I'm not ready to anoint him and if he can be upgraded? Great. But if there is a surefire WR or TE or DE, I'm taking that guy.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Good post to prove one of my main negative points on why Nick Foles must go.....no way you gain and go ino the 2016 season with Foles in your QB trio. The Rams team looses big if you are forced to keep Foles & then forced to dump Keenum.....sad sad shameful end of story! Case Keenum is the better product!

We beat Seattle in Seattle:shocked: who is a playoff team.... without Barron, Quinn, McDonald, Ogletree. Playing with two back up DE's(Sims/Hayes) & without our 3rd DT (Fairley). Bates in for Barron & Alexander in for TJ.

Last edited:

Big Willie

Starter
Maybe. My only issue is...maybe we win 1 or 2 more games that we didn't win but do we still beat the Cardinals? Foles made some pretty major plays in that game.
Agreed, he was special that day. We lose that game but win the Minnesota and Pittsburgh games. While we are not in the playoffs, we still have a chance going into the SF game.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
How do I know his ceiling? I don't necessarily, but I can make a pretty good guess based on his physical limitations and previous performances. Keenum isn't going to reach the level of Smith's consistency or ability. Alex Smith is more physically talented than Keenum and has consistently performed year in year out for the Chiefs. He may be underwhelming at times, but his ability to scramble and accuracy is better than Keenum's and even Smith needs help. That said, his track record backs him a whole lot better. What evidence do we have that Case is going to be able to put in consistently good games for this team? Consistency is what separates bad QBs from great ones. He did very well against the Bucs and did just enough against Seattle. What about the Ravens game where he looked like he didn't belong on an NFL team? The Lions game where he had a pick and 124 yards with a QB rating under 60? Good thing Todd took over for him. Just over 100 yards and a touchdown against the Hawks isn't going to take you far unless we're talking about those being running back numbers. I don't mean to rag on the guy, but his production doesn't indicate that he can be a franchise type guy or consistently move the team to the playoffs or even winning records if not for immense talent on both sides helping.

Does a team with a good running game and great D have to have a top ten QB? No. Asking Trent Dilfer isn't going to help me answer that. The difference being that Dilfer didn't have just a great defense, he had a historically great defense. A team that will forever be remembered as having one of the best defenses ever. It's getting harder and harder to have defenses like this and it's not like things like this are easy to maintain. Didn't the Lions have an amazing defense last year? Some would say they were historically great in run defense and had a ball hawking secondary? That fell hard this year. Dilfer's 12 TDs to 11 INTs wouldn't cut it in today's league. Keenum hopefully wouldn't put up such awful stats, but who knows. He's got a nice streak going here and the wins mask any deficiencies we would peck at had he lost the games, but that doesn't mean they aren't there. I like Case, but he just can't be trusted with the starter job out the gate next year. Back-up and spot starter is where he most likely needs to stay.

I know you're probably going to say he could get better with a full off-season and more O-linemen and weapons, but that can be said for almost anyone. Then the question is, how much better can he get? I don't think the improvement will be worth passing up a good QB prospect. I just feel like it would be best to draft a QB high and think he has a better chance of leading a team to consistent success than a undrafted QB who has bounced between a couple of teams and put up decent at best numbers when filling in for an injured or under-performing starter. Who would you rather place your faith with? I find it hard to believe we found this diamond in the ruff type guy that can keep us afloat. More likely, he's a good stop-gap like the previous QBs I mentioned, not the next Brady, Hasselbeck, or even Bulger. Besides, why stick with barely scraping by at the most important position in football, when you can take a chance at getting a franchise type guy at that spot? If you don't have a QB you think can be your unquestioned starter for the next 10 years or so, then why not look for someone you think can be?

Now don't misunderstand us here. Nobody is saying the Rams don't need a QB. Many have already said that the offseason is uncertain and the Rams are not guaranteed to get a ready made QB that is better than Keenum is all. And if that is the case (no pun intended) then Case is better than Foles and has the team winning. In citing his starts this year though, I can easily say he is steadily improving and we really don't know how he would look given the chance to start for a season. Nobody thought Wilson would be as good as he is. Maybe Keenum can be better than expected too. Not many had faith in Romo developing. If Keenum is half of what Wilson is then that could be good enough. The Rams were not far from making the playoffs this year. A field goal here and a field goal there and they are in the hunt. I think with Keenum inserted much earlier that they may have made it. He makes the needed plays and doesn't let the gimme's on the field like Foles. I think he can do just enough.

Will that win a Superbowl? Probably not, but coupled with better line play and especially better run blocking for a healthier Gurley and maybe it would be enough. Mortgaging the future for a QB is risky and waiting on a developmental guy probably wont help next year.

Memphis Ram

Legend
That's a hell of a way to look at all of that... picking out the parts you like.

He threw a TD pass over Sherman, at Seattle in the rain, the noise, and it proved to be the difference.
With preparation, he played a near flawless game in prime time on Thursday night.
Against Detroit he did all that he was asked to do.

You can say THE RAMS won those games(not Keenum) but show me where he did anything to lose them?
Show me where his presence hasn't made a positive impact on those wins.

Personally I don't think it's a coincidence that we had not won at Seattle in 10 years and the last guy who did was Bulger. I think it's because Keenum played better at Seattle than any QB we've had since Bulger...

Oh please. Picking out parts I like. I just provided basic stats to show that the team isn't winning on his arm. You are the one picking out parts you like.

And no one ever said that his presence didn't make a positive impact on those wins. He didn't make the mistakes that others have made. However, to go on and on as if he was the main reason for these victories is ridiculous.

And I'm not down on Keenum, but how can one not see that the defensive score and the defense holding Seattle to only 17 points had a lot to do with ending that losing streak as well. Notice that neither has happened previously either. And AGAIN, the others had no threat of Gurley or Austin (used as effectively) either to take the pressure off them.

Last edited:

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Now don't misunderstand us here. Nobody is saying the Rams don't need a QB. Many have already said that the offseason is uncertain and the Rams are not guaranteed to get a ready made QB that is better than Keenum is all. And if that is the case (no pun intended) then Case is better than Foles and has the team winning. In citing his starts this year though, I can easily say he is steadily improving and we really don't know how he would look given the chance to start for a season. Nobody thought Wilson would be as good as he is. Maybe Keenum can be better than expected too. Not many had faith in Romo developing. If Keenum is half of what Wilson is then that could be good enough. The Rams were not far from making the playoffs this year. A field goal here and a field goal there and they are in the hunt. I think with Keenum inserted much earlier that they may have made it. He makes the needed plays and doesn't let the gimme's on the field like Foles. I think he can do just enough.

Will that win a Superbowl? Probably not, but coupled with better line play and especially better run blocking for a healthier Gurley and maybe it would be enough. Mortgaging the future for a QB is risky and waiting on a developmental guy probably wont help next year.

I agree on Keenum over Foles at this point. The Idea of going back to Foles is not appealing to me at all (though I don't agree that if we played Keenum all year, that this would be a playoff year, though you aren't explicitly saying that). That said, our only options are not Keenum vs. Foles. We aren't guaranteed to get a better QB than Keenum in the offseason sure, but chances are that there are plenty of better QBs in the draft than Keenum.

I don't have faith that Keenum can improve into a player to lead this team to the playoffs. Mortgaging the future is risky, but so is hoping that Case is going to develop into... What exactly? top 20 quality? What is enough for the Rams to get by? Lets say that Keenum becomes that good. Lets say that gets the Rams to a wildcard spot if he does "just enough". We would have to hope he would develop into that type of guy, while also hoping that the defense maintains or gets better, then hope the O-line and receivers improve along with Gurley getting better as well. What if something goes wrong? Natural regressions? players lost to injury? players lost to salary? We have a lot of hope and potential yet a small margin of error. Having a better QB can improve how much the team can fall off. If any of the things I listed goes wrong, Then Keenum needs to go beyond just enough. He might be just enough for this team at the level they are preforming at now, but he may not be just enough next year. Then what happens in the years after? Is it Keenum or the team that's at fault if the Rams under perform next year? Would you stick with him again? It's impossible to think that all the things we are good at will stay the same and all the things we are bad at will improve yet that's the mentality many fans have, myself included sometimes. The fact is the Rams are more than likely going to be worse in some aspects that they currently good at and then you have to hope what they are bad at currently will improve enough to over come that.

Currently bad on offense, the passing game in particular. Currently good on defense. If the defense falls off do you think Keenum and the rest of the offense will improve enough to save the season? Maybe Keenum can. be better than expected. Maybe. I don't see it. There's most likely a reason Keenum hasn't had sustained success and a consistent job in the NFL outside of back-up. His wins recently have been nice, but he isn't going to be lighting the world on fire any time soon. Keenum is the answer for next week. After that, I wouldn't look to him to be a 16 game starter.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Oh please. Picking out parts I like. I just provided basic stats to show that the team isn't winning on his arm. You are the one picking out parts you like.

And no one ever said that his presence didn't make a positive impact on those wins. He didn't make the mistakes that others have made. However, to go on and on as if he was the main reason for these victories is ridiculous.

And I'm not down on Keenum, but how can one not see that the defensive score and the defense holding Seattle to only 17 points had a lot to do with ending that losing streak as well. Notice that neither has happened previously either. And AGAIN, the others had no threat of Gurley or Austin (used as effectively) either to take the pressure off them.

Haha I'm quite aware of what the defense did. I'm not some douchebag Seattle fan that doesn't understand football. The defense was fantastic. If this thread was about them then the title is a bit misleading isn't it?
Picking out parts I like? I can't see how I'm guilty of that and you aren't. It's both or neither.

And yes, you said the Rams won, not Keenum. I guess that would be true of every player who has ever played team sports, wouldnt it? And if that's the case, which it is, why say it unless the intention was to downplay his impact on the win? Is there some recent history of young QBs playing well in Seattle, in the weather, that I'm unaware of? I saw a QB who operated an offense the way it's designed. If He isn't airing it out on the road against the Hawks for 300 passing yards, forgive me if I'm perfectly ok with him only getting us a "W".

Athos

Legend
Well how exactly are you planning on getting that guy? That's Andrew Luck!!!
QBs like that don't come around all that often and when they do, you need the first or second pick to take them...

Bridgewater....Carr.

There are a handful of QBs worth taking a shot at.

Goff
Lynch
Cook
Wentz
Brisset.

Those are 5 intriguing QBs. More than most years. Good mix of pro-style and spread too. Each have some very good qualities to like in a QB. Fast processing, excellent touch on the ball, mobility (nearly all of them), rocket arm, above average arm, etc.

This team hasn't earned the right to pass up on QB talent that falls into their laps or is in reasonable reach of a trade-up.

We've had garbage or heart break at the position for far too long to merely settle.

And there's something to be said of having a QB to manage and "just get you by" and a QB who can, at least, have a handful of games a year where he can take over when the run game or D struggles.

This teams offense is garbage still because of the passing and if we didn't have an elite HB in Gurely and instead just had Mason and BamBam, we'd likely only have 2 or 3 wins. Keenum hasn't exactly improved these numbers.

31st in passing yards
31st yards/attempt
31st in TDs
31st in passer rating

While actually giving up the fewest sacks in the NFL. That is truly astounding.

Only 2 teams are playoff bound with a rating under 90. One, DEN, has a legit top five D. Houston plays in a sorry ass division.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed, he was special that day. We lose that game but win the Minnesota and Pittsburgh games. While we are not in the playoffs, we still have a chance going into the SF game.

True. But if Keenum and the Rams hadn't lost against Baltimore, we're in the same scenario. ;)
(To be fair, if Fisher hadn't let him play with the concussion, he might not have fumbled the ball which led to our loss)

Memphis Ram

Legend
Haha I'm quite aware of what the defense did. I'm not some douchebag Seattle fan that doesn't understand football. The defense was fantastic. If this thread was about them then the title is a bit misleading isn't it?
Picking out parts I like? I can't see how I'm guilty of that and you aren't. It's both or neither.

And yes, you said the Rams won, not Keenum. I guess that would be true of every player who has ever played team sports, wouldnt it? And if that's the case, which it is, why say it unless the intention was to downplay his impact on the win? Is there some recent history of young QBs playing well in Seattle, in the weather, that I'm unaware of? I saw a QB who operated an offense the way it's designed. If He isn't airing it out on the road against the Hawks for 300 passing yards, forgive me if I'm perfectly ok with him only getting us a "W".

I listed stats for each game. You talked about one pass in one game, doing what he had to do in another, and his performance vs. the Bucs.

The title isn't misleading. It makes little sense since it is a team sport. And pointing that out doesn't downplay his role. It merely puts his role in perspective.

And I'm not sure about any recent history of young QBs playing well in Seattle. But, I also can't recall any Seahawks loss where the opposing team's young QB OR even veteran stud completed only 14 passes for 103 yards. In fact, the same is true whether this occurred in Seattle or in that team's own home stadium.

BTW, I'm perfectly fine with the team getting a win, too.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I agree on Keenum over Foles at this point. The Idea of going back to Foles is not appealing to me at all (though I don't agree that if we played Keenum all year, that this would be a playoff year, though you aren't explicitly saying that). That said, our only options are not Keenum vs. Foles. We aren't guaranteed to get a better QB than Keenum in the offseason sure, but chances are that there are plenty of better QBs in the draft than Keenum.

I don't have faith that Keenum can improve into a player to lead this team to the playoffs. Mortgaging the future is risky, but so is hoping that Case is going to develop into... What exactly? top 20 quality? What is enough for the Rams to get by? Lets say that Keenum becomes that good. Lets say that gets the Rams to a wildcard spot if he does "just enough". We would have to hope he would develop into that type of guy, while also hoping that the defense maintains or gets better, then hope the O-line and receivers improve along with Gurley getting better as well. What if something goes wrong? Natural regressions? players lost to injury? players lost to salary? We have a lot of hope and potential yet a small margin of error. Having a better QB can improve how much the team can fall off. If any of the things I listed goes wrong, Then Keenum needs to go beyond just enough. He might be just enough for this team at the level they are preforming at now, but he may not be just enough next year. Then what happens in the years after? Is it Keenum or the team that's at fault if the Rams under perform next year? Would you stick with him again? It's impossible to think that all the things we are good at will stay the same and all the things we are bad at will improve yet that's the mentality many fans have, myself included sometimes. The fact is the Rams are more than likely going to be worse in some aspects that they currently good at and then you have to hope what they are bad at currently will improve enough to over come that.

Currently bad on offense, the passing game in particular. Currently good on defense. If the defense falls off do you think Keenum and the rest of the offense will improve enough to save the season? Maybe Keenum can. be better than expected. Maybe. I don't see it. There's most likely a reason Keenum hasn't had sustained success and a consistent job in the NFL outside of back-up. His wins recently have been nice, but he isn't going to be lighting the world on fire any time soon. Keenum is the answer for next week. After that, I wouldn't look to him to be a 16 game starter.

Maybe Jrry is right and they could start Connor Cook right away. Maybe Goff too, but you most likely sit Lynch and Wentz, I don't think Goff starts Immediately personally. Plus highly picked QBs are not guaranteed to succeed at all much less right away. LeNnon better e r t than Keenum? Who else is out there? It is real easy to just say get a better QB.