Cardinals @ Seahawks...Best outcome for Rams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
On outsiders take. I am thinking an AZ win would be better. Here's why. The Rams beat AZ in AZ. They should be able to do it at home. Although nothing is a given. The AZ stretch of Eagles, Vikings and Packers, they should lose at least one of them. AZ beating Seattle will take them down a notch. Then all the Rams have to do is tie the Cardinals for the division. First tie breaker is head to head. Second is games in the division. All you need to do is look at how an AZ win affects those. Remember, they are two games between the Cards and Hawks yet. The Rams are the only undefeated team against their division opponent so far.
I'm in full agreement with you. All of this talk about the Rams controlling their own destiny, I would rather be 1 game down to to AZ with them coming to the dome instead of being close as hell to the Seahawks and having to win in their house, plus I hate them and their fans A LOT. Of course, this is all assuming the Rams win the games they are supposed to, which is an unknown at this point. I also think AZ will drop another game, maybe two as they do have a pretty rough schedule coming up. Bad thing about that tough schedule is they have the luck of playing the Bengals, Packers, and Vikings at home, and we have no clue what Eagles team will show up. All of that said, I still think it will be best if they beat Seattle. I can smell one of those late season charges coming out of the Seahawks.

Big Willie

Starter
I am taking option E. It is a combination of option A plus a loss by Minnesota. This improves our chances at a wild card berth too. I would have said Atlanta too....but apparently they have a bye.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Rams are good either way as long as they win vs. the Bears and keep on winning.

That said, I'd rather Seattle win this week vs. Arizona as if gives the Cards another conference loss and brings them down a peg closer to the group, putting more pressure on them.

Last edited:

DVontel

Rookie
Outside of that turd that was dropped against Washington, the only teams the Rams have lost to out of the division were winning teams, and the games were close, so I wouldn't count on them losing against those losing teams. Could happen, but I doubt it. Also, Chicago, Tampa, and Lions are home games, where the Rams pretty much take care of business, especially against weaker opponents (see San Fran and Cleveland). I'm also getting tired of reminding people that we had 3 freaking starters on defense out last week against Minnesota, and that offense took advantage. I know the Rams would have won that game with Quinn and McDonald playing at the very least.
Those are still OOD games, whether those teams have a winning record or not, man. Something Jeff Fisher is known for is bringing it for games in the division just to struggle out of it. Does margin of victory/loss really matter all that much? Take a look at Indy for example. They got destroyed by Buffalo & NYJ & barely slid by a mediocre Tennessee team, but what happens soon after? They beat a previously stout Denver team. Look at Atlanta too. They sweep the NFC East, but then lose to a Blaine Gabbert-led team who had no weapons to speak of at all. I would put Chicago & Tampa Bay on par with Washington.

You could be right, you could be wrong about the last statement. MIN probably could have won by a bigger margin if Teddy never got hurt on that drive. Who knows? Because we're just speaking hypotheticals here.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
What's your take? Nuclear weapons? Natural disaster? A plague? :)
Here's the set-up....

Current NFCW standings:
Arizona 6-2(1-1)
St Louis 4-4(3-0)
Seattle 4-4(1-1)
San Fran 3-6(0-3)

What's the better outcome here? Losing to Minnesota sort of F'd up the wildcard thing...still alot of football to be played, but the Rams may have to win the division to get in.

OPTION A
An Arizona loss combined with a Rams win would look like this:
Arizona 6-3(1-2)
St Louis 5-4(3-0)
Seattle 5-4(2-1)
One game back of AZ with a 2 game lead in the division record.

OPTION B
A Seattle loss combined with a Rams win would look like this:
Arizona 7-2(2-1)
St Louis 5-4(3-0)
Seattle 4-5(1-2)
2 games back of AZ with a 1 game lead in division record.

OPTION C
Obviously any combination of our rivals' game and a Rams loss to the Bears is not good. A Seattle win/Rams loss puts us in 3rd place.
Arizona 6-3(1-2)
Seattle 5-4(2-1)
St Louis 4-5(3-0)

OPTION D
While an AZ win/Rams loss keeps us in front of Seattle by division record alone.
Arizona 7-2(2-1)
St Louis 4-5(3-0)
Seattle 4-5(1-2)

Bottom line is, of course...the Rams must beat Chicago to keep pace. I'm going with OPTION A.
Being 1 game back of the Cardinals will put some pressure on them to keep winning, with both the Rams & Seahawks right on their ass...not to mention the 2 head-to-head matchups left on their schedule.

Go Seahawks on Sunday.
yay1.gif
I personally, and I'm sure I am not alone, want to see them both get Beat-Up really, really, BAD!! But to me there is no other option than to take 'Option A'! We play everyone in the division one more time, The Cards at home, the rest on the road, so let me just say ...

captain-obvious-south-park.jpg

" Plan A it is!!"
GO RAMS!!
_flamethrower_.gif

addon.jpg

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
On outsiders take. I am thinking an AZ win would be better. Here's why. The Rams beat AZ in AZ. They should be able to do it at home. Although nothing is a given. The AZ stretch of Eagles, Vikings and Packers, they should lose at least one of them. AZ beating Seattle will take them down a notch. Then all the Rams have to do is tie the Cardinals for the division. First tie breaker is head to head. Second is games in the division. All you need to do is look at how an AZ win affects those. Remember, they are two games between the Cards and Hawks yet. The Rams are the only undefeated team against their division opponent so far.
I agree totally with this thought. Let Arizona help knock Seattle off and the Rams take care of their own biz ... then we still have a great shot at both division and/or WC spot

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
@Raptorman has a good point.
However, I would rather see AZ lose and keep the division closer together in the win/loss column. This gives us a better chance to write our own destiny.
It's Option A for me.

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
Ultimately, it comes down to the Rams. Win and you don't have to worry about the other teams.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Really wouldn't underestimate Chicago, Baltimore(pretty much has played everyone tough, despite their record), & even Tampa Bay as of late. Especially with the way you guys have been struggling with teams out of the division.

I agree and I'm not at all. Should win in no way means lock. But if the Rams find a passing game by some miracle, and stay healthy, they can probably play just about any team in the NFL close. If Rams lose one of the games I listed, they are probably done for the season.

RamzFanz

Damnit
IMO, this is what it all boils down to:

Who is the team that is probably underrated, going to make a run, and has the schedule to do it?

Between the Cards and Hawks who was playing at their peak the first half? Who has a schedule they can beat at their peak?

To me, and there could be a lot I don't know about the teams, I think the Cards are peaking. They are a solid team that no one takes lightly, but I see 4 losses minimum the second half of the season. I think the Hawks were not peaking, playing below their talent, missing talent, and their major weakness, their o-line, is getting better.

Even WITH a Seahawks loss tomorrow, IF the Rams play very well going forward winning 5 of the next 6, I would project the NFCW will come down to Rams winning in Seattle December 27th, which sucks. Say what we will, that is a place playoff hopefuls go to die.

For those saying you want the Rams destiny in their own hands, I'm betting in the end that means a Hawks loss to the Cards. If Hawks win tomorrow, Rams may never have a chance to play them for the NFCW lead and our last hope may be to both beat them in Seattle and a Cards win over them at home.

For the record, the only thing that would chap my ass more than the Rams not winning the NFCW is watching the Seahawks jump up and do it. If the Cards win the NFCW, fine. We can take care of business with them postseason. That scenario doesn't bother me in the slightest because the Rams / Cards deserve it. If the Rams don't make the playoffs, I want the Hawks to go down with us and I will wear red for the post season.

Rainram

Starter
This has nothing to do with the Rams beating them, we may have to either way, this is about changing the dynamics going forward. Unleash a team to an easy schedule with one less loss or lower down the team with a much easier schedule.

This win over the Hawks may be as important as the win over Min would have been.

I am conflicted;
  1. I hate the Seahawks real bad
  2. Seattle has a very favourable schedule with the next 5 of 7 at home
  3. It's best to always control your destiny, so a Seattle win is best for that scenario
  4. AZ might have the harder schedule, but if they beat Seattle in Seattle they seem good enough to keep winning
In the end, I think it's always best for the teams in front of you to lose.

Those two comments sum up both sides quite well.

No way Arizona doesn't lose AT LEAST two or three on their remaining schedule. Seahawks could legitimately run the table. I want distance from the defending NFC Champs whose only losses this year are 3 road games against the Pack, Bengals and Rams, one home game with a Panthers comeback. The Seahawks are a better team IMO...I would love for them to add a loss...especially a Divisional one (which all but guarantees us the tie-breaker).

RamzFanz

Damnit
Those two comments sum up both sides quite well.

No way Arizona doesn't lose AT LEAST two or three on their remaining schedule. Seahawks could legitimately run the table. I want distance from the defending NFC Champs whose only losses this year are 3 road games against the Pack, Bengals and Rams, one home game with a Panthers comeback. The Seahawks are a better team IMO...I would love for them to add a loss...especially a Divisional one (which all but guarantees us the tie-breaker).

It's a tough call. No one wants the Cards 2 games out 9 weeks in, but if the Hawks win this, I think a lot of this board is going to get a nasty wake up call 3-4 games from now when Rams fall behind after a Cinci loss and no Hawks sure loss in sight.

It's looking like Lynch may be out or playing hurt which may be the opening the Cards need, damn it.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
But in all seriousness, the best option by far is for the Hawks to get another loss. I want that disgusting team out of the playoffs this year.
A win by Arizona is by far better for the Rams.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
For me, it comes down to AFTER this game, which team you have faith in.

Whomever you have faith in needs to lose.

As for me, based on schedule and venue, I have more faith in Seattle, thus I'm rooting for the Cards. I think based on the Cards' schedule and the fact that we have one more game against them in our house, I'm okay with them beating Seattle.

However, with Seattle losing, it all, but eliminates them from the playoffs short of them running the table, something that's actually possible, though not probable. All the more reason to root for the Cards. If the Rams are a part of losing to the Hawks and Seattle runs the table, they'll win the division at 12-4. NO ONE here wants that. Having them sit at 4-5 firmly in third place is a much better deal especially because it's entirely possible that all three of the teams trying to win the NFCW will finish with identical records be it 11-5 or 10-6.

With Seattle's easier second half schedule, seems pretty straight forward that they need to lose for them to be either eliminated or to reduce their win total. If the Cards are good enough to go 6-2 with their schedule, they'll deserve to win the division even if we beat them again. If that happens, I don't want to lose out on a Wild Card to a surging Seattle team that has a second half schedule set up for a run.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cards lose and the Seahawks are tied with us in w/l and have an easy going of it going forward for the most part. The Cards entire w/l this season is against losing teams. Seahawks will get up if Cards let them and we barely beat them in our house in a dome.

Cards will come down. Seahawks are in a prime spot to win a lot of games just like the Rams.

This has nothing to do with the Rams beating them, we may have to either way, this is about changing the dynamics going forward. Unleash a team to an easy schedule with one less loss or lower down the team with a much easier schedule.

This win over the Hawks may be as important as the win over Min would have been.

Frankly, I think it's bullshit that Seattle has 5 of their final 8 at home. That all said, they still have to beat Arizona twice, Pittsburgh, us, and Minnesota. And two of those games aren't home games. That's not an easy stretch. We can beat them. If this team wants to make the playoffs, they should want to take down Seattle in their place. We owe them an ass whooping there.

ohiorams

Rookie
Wait, watch and see. This wont take shape for a month. I wont be surprised if Cardinals beat Seattle and then beat Bengals but slide after that

RedRam

Pro Bowler
:poop:
I personally, and I'm sure I am not alone, want to see them both get Beat-Up really, really, BAD!! But to me there is no other option than to take 'Option A'! We play everyone in the division one more time, The Cards at home, the rest on the road, so let me just say ...

View attachment 11066
" Plan A it is!!"
GO RAMS!! View attachment 11067

View attachment 11068
I hope they beat the crap out of each other so severely that they run out of ice! Get them thinking, "Do I really want to do this for a living?"
:sneaky::boxing::double::shooting::wabbit::mrburnsevil:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
IMO, this is what it all boils down to:

Who is the team that is probably underrated, going to make a run, and has the schedule to do it?

Between the Cards and Hawks who was playing at their peak the first half? Who has a schedule they can beat at their peak?

To me, and there could be a lot I don't know about the teams, I think the Cards are peaking. They are a solid team that no one takes lightly, but I see 4 losses minimum the second half of the season. I think the Hawks were not peaking, playing below their talent, missing talent, and their major weakness, their o-line, is getting better.

Even WITH a Seahawks loss tomorrow, IF the Rams play very well going forward winning 5 of the next 6, I would project the NFCW will come down to Rams winning in Seattle December 27th, which sucks. Say what we will, that is a place playoff hopefuls go to die.

For those saying you want the Rams destiny in their own hands, I'm betting in the end that means a Hawks loss to the Cards. If Hawks win tomorrow, Rams may never have a chance to play them for the NFCW lead and our last hope may be to both beat them in Seattle and a Cards win over them at home.

For the record, the only thing that would chap my ass more than the Rams not winning the NFCW is watching the Seahawks jump up and do it. If the Cards win the NFCW, fine. We can take care of business with them postseason. That scenario doesn't bother me in the slightest because the Rams / Cards deserve it. If the Rams don't make the playoffs, I want the Hawks to go down with us and I will wear red for the post season.
I pretty much agree, except I would rather be dead than Red!! ( to use the Old expression!!)

RamzFanz

Damnit
Frankly, I think it's bullcrap that Seattle has 5 of their final 8 at home. That all said, they still have to beat Arizona twice, Pittsburgh, us, and Minnesota. And two of those games aren't home games. That's not an easy stretch. We can beat them. If this team wants to make the playoffs, they should want to take down Seattle in their place. We owe them an ass whooping there.

Well, fair enough. Steelers are without Bell and Ben may be playing hurt though.

I guess we wait and see how it plays out.