Can't Sam + Rams Just Restructure?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BadCompany

Rookie
Everyone wants to draft a franchise QB next year. .That's a great idea except if it was that easy every team would have two. Or the Wilson in the third crowd? Why waste a third when when we can get a Brady in the sixth.

The Rams are in a bad place. They may not get what they want in the draft, a guy that can start game one or even next season. They might not get what they want in Fa. The options on the team now may not be options next year.
Unfortunately a demimshed Bradford might be a option.

I tend to agree. I don't think the Rams are going to be bad enough to get into to the top five of the draft, so unless they get really lucky we probably arent going to get a franchise QB that way. A good QB perhaps, and perhaps that's all we need, but its not going to be a sure thing. A re-habbed Bradford versus Christian Ponder the Second? Aside from Ponder-version-2 being more likely to stay on the field (a big consideration no doubt) I'm not sure you are getting the better quarterback. They might be better off drafting a LB/Safety/CB/whatever and signing somebody to compete with Sam out of training camp. A Sanchez type. Trust me, I'm not thrilled with the idea, but it might come down to that.

But I have to ask again, what was the point in drafting Gilbert? If they STILL don't think he is the future then they would have been better off drafting a special teamed or depth at that spot, no? Maybe they do think Gilbert can step in next year and replace Bradford but I'm guessing they might be the only ones. Which again begs the question of why even draft him if you don't think he can be used in the very situation you drafted him for.

Unless I'm wrong and Gilbert really is the answer for next year?

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I tend to agree. I don't think the Rams are going to be bad enough to get into to the top five of the draft, so unless they get really lucky we probably arent going to get a franchise QB that way. A good QB perhaps, and perhaps that's all we need, but its not going to be a sure thing. A re-habbed Bradford versus Christian Ponder the Second? Aside from Ponder-version-2 being more likely to stay on the field (a big consideration no doubt) I'm not sure you are getting the better quarterback. They might be better off drafting a LB/Safety/CB/whatever and signing somebody to compete with Sam out of training camp. A Sanchez type. Trust me, I'm not thrilled with the idea, but it might come down to that.

But I have to ask again, what was the point in drafting Gilbert? If they STILL don't think he is the future then they would have been better off drafting a special teamed or depth at that spot, no? Maybe they do think Gilbert can step in next year and replace Bradford but I'm guessing they might be the only ones. Which again begs the question of why even draft him if you don't think he can be used in the very situation you drafted him for.

Unless I'm wrong and Gilbert really is the answer for next year?

I have no idea why they drafted Gilbert other as a developmental guy. Maybe next year he was going to be the backup if he progressed. The kid has talent, but compared to Bradford in his first camp it's night and day. give him some time. He outplayed Manziel in the last game. So yeah maybe next year he can compete for the starting job. But right now Bradford on one leg still is a better QB.

You can find QB's all through the draft, some of the later round guys have the physical skills they just needed refined.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
But I have to ask again, what was the point in drafting Gilbert?

Well, he's on the team so I guess he'll get a shot at some point. With the Bradford injury, it seems he's wandered down to 3rd in the depth chart behind Hill and Davis.

I can't help but re-channel some of my draft frustration. I was kinda hoping for a QB around 3rd or 4th. 5 QBs were taken in the first 2 rounds (Bortles, Manziel, Bridgewater, Carr, Garrapolo), none in the 3rd, then the run on the decent guys started at 120 in the 4th and continued through the 6th with with Logan Thomas, Savage, Murray, McCarron, Mettenberger, Fales, Wenning (who?). Boyd... and then Gilbert. We could have had any of those guys instead of either Tre Mason or Mo Alexander. Gilbert was the last QB taken in the draft. "Raw". "Tools". "Project".

I was thinking at the time that the Rams must have all the confidence in the world in Bradford and his knee. Geez, this just SUCKS!!!

~~~

Y'know, on game day, I'll put on my brave face and root for the Rams to win regardless of who they put at QB. Hill surely is an upgrade over Clemons, right? Fine. "We will rally around Shaun Hill..."

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Geez, Coach, relax.

I dunno about anyone else, but I only brought it up because I wasn't sure if the injury guarantees/settlements counted against the cap if they occurred prior to the first game of the season.

Just tryin' to have some conversation, man. You bring good info. Here, have a nice cup of tea...

tea_cup_small.jpg

Tea? No. This is where I'm going. Y'all are welcome to join.

Screen%20Shot%202012-01-09%20at%2010.16.01%20AM.png

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Why is everyone so set on hanging on to Sam? It sucks he got hurt again but how many more injuries and losing seasons have to go by before we throw in the towel on this dude? Cut your losses and move on. No sense in being so loyal to a guy who really hasnt done jack crap
Who do you suggest they have play QB? A rookie who has no clue about the NFL and the offense, trade the farm for a guy who can play in the NFL but does not know the team or offense, or a guy they have years and millions of dollars invested in while developing a future starter???

It is easy to say move on if you are ready to see another 3-5 years of losing

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I like the idea of restructuring but Sam's going to have to take a major pay cut, and he's going to have to earn his starting job back from whoever we bring in as competition.

If he can win a job and start for less than that inflated cap figure, then more power to him.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Well, it's ugly, no doubt about it.

I know I'll be paying attention not only to College QBs, but NFL Free Agents. Like if Mark Sanchez gets any reps, for example...
Just some names....and not all of them....
OREG.png
*MarcusMariota
6-4, 215, Oregon
FSU.png
2. *Jameis Winston
6-4, 235, Florida State
UCLA.png
3. *Brett Hundley
6-3, 227, UCLA
STNFRD.png
4. *Kevin Hogan
6-4, 228, Stanford

MICHST.png
5. *Connor Cook
6-4, 220, Michigan State

My favorite is Kevin Hogan..I also like the kid at Oregon St.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I think the Rams would be nutz to cut S.B. Why can't they just restructure for 2014, lower the cap hit, and build-in a longer term, but heavily incentived deal that takes-into account Sam's injury and potential inability to play. Why is the only option to keep him on his current deal, or cut him? Seems like there is lots of gray area, and given Kevin's close relationship with Tom Condon, that they could hammer out an arrangement which makes sense for all sides and protects the Rams' downside.

I agree 100% man. I hope it happens. I think the reality is if we plain cut him SOMEONE will give him a chance next year. Say what you want but the kid has talent. Whether or not it's been fully shown or not can be argued all day. I believe he was going to have a monster year.

Man this sucks.

Robert

Rookie
I have to agree with most of you, even though he is injury prone if we can work out a new deal im all for keeping him. That being said I still think we draft a qb with our first pick even if we need to trade up to get a good one. Apparently the 2nd surgery is a lot harder to come back from and takes more time. Bradford can teach our rookie qb a lot without being rushed back to the field right away. Worst case he is ready to be a backup during the early part of next season and if the rookie qb is struggling we have a guy that can step in and knows the offense more than anyone. Yes there is a possibility he gets hurt right away again and at that point I think his career is over. The Rams cut him and Bradford becomes a analyst for nfl network. I would much rather have that then to completely give up on him and he turn around and have 5 good years with another franchise. Don't forget Greg Reid has torn his ACL twice and is still playing. Looking at him now you probably would never know doesn't mean he wont get hurt again and I know he is not counted on like Sam Bradford but its not impossible to make a comeback. I would rather have a injury prone Sam Bradford as my backup in the future and take a chance then to let him go.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Greg Reid has torn his ACL twice and is still playing

True. And very much like Bradford, he didn't know he'd torn his ACL until he was informed at some combine-like event, told he wouldn't be permitted to participate.