Can't Sam + Rams Just Restructure?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Is there precedent for something like this?

Sam Bradford's career as an impact starting QB in this league is finished. He will get cut, rehab, attempt a comeback with another team, and hold a clipboard only if he can come back. I feel horrible for Sam, but 2 ACL surgeries in less than a year is practically a death sentence. The Rams would be crazy to keep him, let alone extend him at this point. You have to start worrying about quality of life now.
A contract can be structured with the flexibility so that if Sam can't recover there is no big money at stake. This way, he gets the chance to come back as a Ram, if he starts and can play, he get X dollars, if he serves as a backup, he get Y dollars, and if he can't rehab he gets Z dollars (which might just be a token amount).

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
I don't mean to be cold but if the Rams cut Bradford don't they get like 10m in cap space? That'd buy some qb help from somewhere I'd think. Granted the lists of possible and available qbs are an imperfect group but the Rams front office needs to do what they have to do. The situation sucks. But it's time to make a play.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't mean to be cold but if the Rams cut Bradford don't they get like 10m in cap space? That'd buy some qb help from somewhere I'd think. Granted the lists of possible and available qbs are an imperfect group but the Rams front office needs to do what they have to do. The situation sucks. But it's time to make a play.
They could restructure, have the option to keep Bradford, and still get the cap space. It's not a zero-sum world.

AZRamsFan93

Calm down their chief. I made an assumption because he walked off with significantly less agony in his demeanor. I'm not pumping sunshine into anyone's ass(although you might be into that kinda stuff, who am I to judge). Were all upset about this. I was just stating that we shouldn't act like he won't ever play again.
Sorry, I am tending to overreact today.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm not sure of the cap ramifications of an injury settlement, but I'm guessing that it counts against whatever cap savings you would have had.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
they CANNOT just cut him. HE is INJURED and would have to come to an injury settlement. Which I already talked about. IF you were Bradford, what incentive would you have to reach a settlement>? He will be placed on IR. Which is what happens if a settlement cannot be reached. A settlement is in place to benefit BOTH parties. The player gets his settlement which allows him his release to be picked up by another team for the same season. Assuming his injury is not year ending. It benefits the team in that they can release the player and not have to carry him on IR.

In the absence of that settlement, the player is placed on IR. And last time I checked, it takes BOTH parties to reach a settlement.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Sorry, I am tending to overreact today.

Everybody is man. I apologize as well. This REALLY sucks and I'm trying to convince myself that everything will be okay. The whole lease situation, being terrible for many years, and now our QB is out for the fucking year. I love my Rams and I want them to stay in St.Louis. I guess you could say I'm a little nervous about it.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
they CANNOT just cut him. HE is INJURED and would have to come to an injury settlement. Which I already talked about. IF you were Bradford, what incentive would you have to reach a settlement>? He will be placed on IR. Which is what happens if a settlement cannot be reached. A settlement is in place to benefit BOTH parties. The player gets his settlement which allows him his release to be picked up by another team for the same season. Assuming his injury is not year ending. It benefits the team in that they can release the player and not have to carry him on IR.

In the absence of that settlement, the player is placed on IR. And last time I checked, it takes BOTH parties to reach a settlement.

Geez, Coach, relax.

I dunno about anyone else, but I only brought it up because I wasn't sure if the injury guarantees/settlements counted against the cap if they occurred prior to the first game of the season.

Just tryin' to have some conversation, man. You bring good info. Here, have a nice cup of tea...

tea_cup_small.jpg

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Geez, Coach, relax.

I dunno about anyone else, but I only brought it up because I wasn't sure if the injury guarantees/settlements counted against the cap if they occurred prior to the first game of the season.

Just tryin' to have some conversation, man. You bring good info. Here, have a nice cup of tea...

tea_cup_small.jpg
Is that chamomile? Get that weak stuff outta here and get me some Liptons.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Liptons? I'm not even a tea snob and I don't drink that mess...

BuffaloRam

Pro Bowler
Thing is, Bradford has a full year to recover now. There's no way it was torn as bad as last time either. So rehab will be easier. This definitely isn't his last year in football.
Unfortunately, you sometimes need a bone graft second time around to ensure that the new graft can be attached to strong bone. That's why the failure rate for an ACL reconstruction the second time around is at 50-50

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Well, it's ugly, no doubt about it.

I know I'll be paying attention not only to College QBs, but NFL Free Agents. Like if Mark Sanchez gets any reps, for example...

I mean, if the Rams really play well on D and establish that running game as well as have our receivers step up and still win 9 games (I hope to win a fair bit more, but we'll see), we'll be a VERY attractive team for a FA QB to want to come to if he wants to win right now.

St. Louis would be "that place" where FA QBs would want to go where the setup is perfect... player coach, solid ownership, great D, very good OL, weapons on O...

All this is presuming Shaun Hill doesn't have a career year which I think he just might have...

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
According to ESPN's medical advisor, it takes much longer to recover from a 2nd tear.

ACCORDING to ESPN still thinks Sam Bradford's ACL is fine from there great reporting

cracengl

Rookie
I think they'd be wasting a golden opportunity to find a young early round talent who is cost controlled and hopefully capable of seeing game action more than 5 games in 2 years. I think one of the problems with drafting Sam when we did was that the rest of the team was decimated and nearly devoid of talent. So, we spent the entire time we had him trying to put something that resembles a talented group of players around him. And I think this year is the first year you can even say that it is the case. Where would Russel Wilson be if he swapped scenarios with Sam? Let's find someone who can develop their talent while handing the ball off and letting the defense keep them from having to do too much and go from there.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i think thomas davis, the linebacker for the panthers had 3 acl tears in 3 seasons. everyone thought it was all over for him. but he came back and he played well for the last couple of years.

all hope is not lost.

however sam must come back on a prove it deal and the rams must draft a qb they think can start almost straight away. if sam comes back and can play, great. the rookie can sit and learn. if sam gets injured again the rookie is there to take over.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
At this point I think we should cut him after the season is over. He's expensive enough as it is, but I just can't trust a QB who has had 2 ACL surgeries and hasn't played in a regular season game against complex defenses in almost 2 whole seasons. I love Sam and wish him the best, but he's just not worth it at this point. Maybe he can come back on a small deal to.compete, but I'm not comfortable having to rely on Sam staying healthy and playing well after these injuries anymore.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
While Bradford is under the bus think we can get him to check the muffler?

It might seem a good idea to some of us that he take a injury settlement grab his ping pong table and retire in hopes he won't have to use a cane to walk when he's forty. He probably won't do that since he is very competitive. He will want to play again.
Just supposing this but he's IR'd this season and a mutual deal is struck for next year. The Rams won't count on him nor will he count on being able to play.
Hell he might never be able to pass the physical for any team. His career might be over no matter.
But from the Rams stand point it would be advantageous to have him around till after the draft at least.

Everyone wants to draft a franchise QB next year. .That's a great idea except if it was that easy every team would have two. Or the Wilson in the third crowd? Why waste a third when when we can get a Brady in the sixth.

The Rams are in a bad place. They may not get what they want in the draft, a guy that can start game one or even next season. They might not get what they want in Fa. The options on the team now may not be options next year.
Unfortunately a demimshed Bradford might be a option.