Can't Sam + Rams Just Restructure?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Thing about extending him is that there is no guarantee that his rehab will have him available to play for the regular season next year. That means adding dead money to future years against the hope that he comes back and doesn't suffer a 3rd ACL. And how much of a cut does he take? Does anyone think Condon will advise an 80% pay cut? That's likely the range it'd take...

I have no idea what the Rams are thinking. That said, while I FEEL for the young man as a Rams fan, as someone of Native heritage and just generally as a human being, this is a business decision and the business decision seems pretty simple.

Rams save $10 million by releasing him prior to the season.

None of this will stop me from praying for his speedy rehab and his safe return if that's what he chooses to do. But putting him on IR and keeping all that salary on the cap? I just don't see how that makes any business sense.

ViperLjs

Rookie
I think the Rams would be nutz to cut S.B. Why can't they just restructure for 2014, lower the cap hit, and build-in a longer term, but heavily incentived deal that takes-into account Sam's injury and potential inability to play. Why is the only option to keep him on his current deal, or cut him? Seems like there is lots of gray area, and given Kevin's close relationship with Tom Condon, that they could hammer out an arrangement which makes sense for all sides and protects the Rams' downside.
After 4 season-ending injuries in 6 years, the front office must operate under the assumption that he won't be available, which means you would have to cut his pay to backup-levels to make it even possible. In addition, we would have to draft or sign a starter candidate at the position; would the team want to create an automatic QB controversy by having a 1st round pick and Sam on the roster? Doesn't seem like Fisher's style. Bradford would also have to agree to come in and compete without the guarantee of a starting job, which I'm not sure he'd be willing to do.

Add the injury risk, the cap hit, and the human element together, and I'd frankly be shocked if he was still on the roster come 2015; there are just too many factors working against him at this point. It really bums me out, because I've always been a big Bradford supporter, but at some point you have to face the reality that his health is too big of a liability.

dhaab

Rookie
It's kInd of scary how many fans here actually believe Bradford is STILL potentially going to be good going forward. I used to believe this nice guy would be a great NFL QB, but those days are LONG gone now. Time to cut bait, folks. Sam made a ton of money and he put together a few nice seasons, but his days as a solid starting QB in the NFL are gone.

SWMO Fan

UDFA
Name
Mike
As a big Bradford Mom I think he should retire. Medicine has come a long way, but QBs get hit, and two ACL surgeries is bad enough. He made plenty of money, why risk having to spend it from a wheelchair?
I have to agree. Financially, he is set for life - why take the risk of playing again? And signing him to a "prove it" contract is very short sighted. While he is trying to prove it; if he doesn't make it, then that just sets the team back another year. Sadly, Sam's time has come and gone.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Thing is, Bradford has a full year to recover now. There's no way it was torn as bad as last time either. So rehab will be easier. This definitely isn't his last year in football.

They are going to surgically repair an already surgically repaired ligament. It's going to be twice as bad of a recovery. Just because the injury isn't as bad as last time, doesn't mean the recovery time on a second surgery in less than a year will be shorter.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
He can be released but it has to be an injury settlement and he has to clear waivers.... Just like isiah pead

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Even if they had to work out a settlement, considering he's still on his rookie contract under the old CBA, I dunno what those rules were.

I'm not coming at this from a personnel standpoint, just a cap standpoint. So, I'm trying not to pay attention to the debate about the merits of Bradford, atm.

ViperLjs

Rookie
It's kInd of scary how many fans here actually believe Bradford is STILL potentially going to be good going forward. I used to believe this nice guy would be a great NFL QB, but those days are LONG gone now. Time to cut bait, folks. Sam made a ton of money and he put together a few nice seasons, but his days as a solid starting QB in the NFL are gone.
I don't necessarily agree with this. I think his time with the Rams is done, but I bet he starts again for someone down the road, unless he decides to retire.

Philly5

Rookie
I have to agree. Financially, he is set for life - why take the risk of playing again? And signing him to a "prove it" contract is very short sighted. While he is trying to prove it; if he doesn't make it, then that just sets the team back another year. Sadly, Sam's time has come and gone.

Makes no sense for Bradford to sign a prove it contract given the long term health risk.

Makes no sense for the Rams to keep him in the mix, from both a roster and financial stand point.

Fisher being non committal said it all.

Ram_Fan

Rookie
Name
Ken
If they restructure or resign him. I hope they don't pay him like a franchise QB, but more as a reasonable price. We can use that money some where else.

AZRamsFan93

Thing is, Bradford has a full year to recover now. There's no way it was torn as bad as last time either. So rehab will be easier. This definitely isn't his last year in football.
How can you possibly say that it wasn't torn as bad? I am sure you, like the rest of us, have no idea.

The orthopedic surgeon on ESPN said that a second surgery on the same ACL takes twice as long to recover and that there is only a 60% chance he will ever be as good as he once was. You may be right that this isn't his last year, but please stop trying to blow sunshine up our ass.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Have I fallen into the twilight zone, or is this place sounding an awful lot like another forum? Can we please hold off until the body is cold before we all start debating Bradford's fate? All this guy did was work his ass off to get back.. and for whatever reason another freak injury has devastated him and this fan base. But trying to argue the merits of his "future" can wait? Please1

AZRamsFan93

Have I fallen into the twilight zone, or is this place sounding an awful lot like another forum? Can we please hold off until the body is cold before we all start debating Bradford's fate? All this guy did was work his ass off to get back.. and for whatever reason another freak injury has devastated him and this fan base. But trying to argue the merits of his "future" can wait? Please1
As you know, football is a tough sport and injuries are an everyday reality.

Sam Bradford did not die. He is still a rich young man. I feel bad for him and his chosen career but we don't all need time to mourn.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
How can you possibly say that it wasn't torn as bad? I am sure you, like the rest of us, have no idea.

The orthopedic surgeon on ESPN said that a second surgery on the same ACL takes twice as long to recover and that there is only a 60% chance he will ever be as good as he once was. You may be right that this isn't his last year, but please stop trying to blow sunshine up our ass.

A member of my immediate family is an orthopedic surgeon (who started out in sports medicine) and this is what they basically told me (feel free to take it however you'd like):

Bradford will never be as good as he once was. Physically it's just not possible.
It would be miraculous if he even came close.

They put the odds of a significant recovery at 20%, and that was for college level or recreational athletes.
For athletes attempting to compete an elite level it would be less than 10%.

Obviously everybody else doesn't agree, but I think it's time for all parties concerned to move on.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Thing about extending him is that there is no guarantee that his rehab will have him available to play for the regular season next year. That means adding dead money to future years against the hope that he comes back and doesn't suffer a 3rd ACL. And how much of a cut does he take? Does anyone think Condon will advise an 80% pay cut? That's likely the range it'd take...

I have no idea what the Rams are thinking. That said, while I FEEL for the young man as a Rams fan, as someone of Native heritage and just generally as a human being, this is a business decision and the business decision seems pretty simple.

Rams save $10 million by releasing him prior to the season.

None of this will stop me from praying for his speedy rehab and his safe return if that's what he chooses to do. But putting him on IR and keeping all that salary on the cap? I just don't see how that makes any business sense.

Why do they have to make that decision NOW? They will place him on IR, and let the dust settle before deciding anything. They cannot just outright release him without some sort of injury settlement, and if you were Bradford, why would you settle for anything less than your salary?

This isn't a case where a player takes an injury settlement to get his release (rather than going on IR), then find other employment that same season. He will be placed on IR, get paid, and they will revisit his situation in the offseason.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Can a vested veteran be released while injured? Doesn't he have to pass a physical first or work out some sort of injury settlement?
Yes, they have to negotiate an injury settlement *if he were to get released*.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes

Calm down their chief. I made an assumption because he walked off with significantly less agony in his demeanor. I'm not pumping sunshine into anyone's ass(although you might be into that kinda stuff, who am I to judge). Were all upset about this. I was just stating that we shouldn't act like he won't ever play again.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think the Rams would be nutz to cut S.B. Why can't they just restructure for 2014, lower the cap hit, and build-in a longer term, but heavily incentived deal that takes-into account Sam's injury and potential inability to play. Why is the only option to keep him on his current deal, or cut him? Seems like there is lots of gray area, and given Kevin's close relationship with Tom Condon, that they could hammer out an arrangement which makes sense for all sides and protects the Rams' downside.
That would be fine by me. Even if other people are appalled at the suggestion, I'm not. But with one caveat. This team has to plan as though he'll never take another snap no matter what they do. I had a little tinge of doubt that he could make it through this season, and he didn't even make it TO the season. The Rams, despite their affinity for Bradford (totally warranted by the way) have to more or less operate under the assumption that him playing is not an option anymore. If they can sign him to a competition contract next year and bring in legitimate competition, then that would be ideal. I'd love nothing more than for this to be his last injury ever. But if it's not, then there better be a great plan B.