Can't Sam + Rams Just Restructure?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I think the Rams would be nutz to cut S.B. Why can't they just restructure for 2014, lower the cap hit, and build-in a longer term, but heavily incentived deal that takes-into account Sam's injury and potential inability to play. Why is the only option to keep him on his current deal, or cut him? Seems like there is lots of gray area, and given Kevin's close relationship with Tom Condon, that they could hammer out an arrangement which makes sense for all sides and protects the Rams' downside.

Irish

Starter
I think the Rams would be nutz to cut S.B. Why can't they just restructure for 2014, lower the cap hit, and build-in a longer term, but heavily incentived deal that takes-into account Sam's injury and potential inability to play. Why is the only option to keep him on his current deal, or cut him? Seems like there is lots of gray area, and given Kevin's close relationship with Tom Condon, that they could hammer out an arrangement which makes sense for all sides and protects the Rams' downside.

Is there precedent for something like this?

Sam Bradford's career as an impact starting QB in this league is finished. He will get cut, rehab, attempt a comeback with another team, and hold a clipboard only if he can come back. I feel horrible for Sam, but 2 ACL surgeries in less than a year is practically a death sentence. The Rams would be crazy to keep him, let alone extend him at this point. You have to start worrying about quality of life now.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
That's the best course of action I see, let them restructure and try again and see if you can get off the snide, but leave room for the team to still move on if you can't. He's got talent, but if he can't put it together than Sam can't argue that he doesn't deserve a pay cut. Provides competition for a new guy and Bradford has incentive to get it all on the field.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I think that would be great for the team and give Sam a chance to still come back and be a viable option for the team. I really hope they do not cut him.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Thing is, Bradford has a full year to recover now. There's no way it was torn as bad as last time either. So rehab will be easier. This definitely isn't his last year in football.

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
Why is everyone so set on hanging on to Sam? It sucks he got hurt again but how many more injuries and losing seasons have to go by before we throw in the towel on this dude? Cut your losses and move on. No sense in being so loyal to a guy who really hasnt done jack shit

V3

Hall of Fame
The greatest ability is availability.

Sam doesn't have that. Unless this deal is for league minimum, why bother. Are people still maintaining that he's not injury prone? If you can't count on your QB to be ready EVERY week, he's not worth it.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I think they release him and sign him back at a prove it contract! Would be good business practice and I'd think Sam would do it! Hope so! If no, then sayanora Sam!

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I agree with the idea. I'm not ready to throw Bradford into a dumpster just yet. He came back looking better than ever and it is possible that he could do it again! At this point, I'm sure he would consent to a pay cut in exchange for a future here.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
Why keep a guy that keeps getting hurt? How many times do u have to get burned before u say ouch? I had high hopes for the guy but I knew if he had any major injury he was done here. It's been 5th and he has never put it together all is not his fualt, actually none is his fault but it is what it is. But on a second thought to bring him back on a peanut deal I wouldn't complain as long as we DRAFT a qb high

V3

Hall of Fame
Thing is, Bradford has a full year to recover now. There's no way it was torn as bad as last time either. So rehab will be easier. This definitely isn't his last year in football.

According to ESPN's medical advisor, it takes much longer to recover from a 2nd tear.

MarkMyWords

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mark
The thing is, they don't have to decide now. Is there any reason to cut or extend or whatever now compared to after the season? Sam isn't going to give back any money, nor would anyone else including me.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Is there precedent for something like this?

Sam Bradford's career as an impact starting QB in this league is finished. He will get cut, rehab, attempt a comeback with another team, and hold a clipboard only if he can come back. I feel horrible for Sam, but 2 ACL surgeries in less than a year is practically a death sentence. The Rams would be crazy to keep him, let alone extend him at this point. You have to start worrying about quality of life now.

I cant see a precedent for it - but I cant see a precedent for such a talented QB playing as a back up. The problem a lot of teams will have if they bring him in as a backup is that he'll win the job of the starter because he's so talented! So because of injury he can't get paid - but he's still going to be useful to have around in case he can stay healthy.

Philly5

Rookie
As a big Bradford Mom I think he should retire. Medicine has come a long way, but QBs get hit, and two ACL surgeries is bad enough. He made plenty of money, why risk having to spend it from a wheelchair?

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
It just seems to make too much sense. For both parties.
Sam stays a Ram an
The thing is, they don't have to decide now. Is there any reason to cut or extend or whatever now compared to after the season? Sam isn't going to give back any money, nor would anyone else including me.
If he gets cut, losses more.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Why is everyone so set on hanging on to Sam? It sucks he got hurt again but how many more injuries and losing seasons have to go by before we throw in the towel on this dude? Cut your losses and move on. No sense in being so loyal to a guy who really hasnt done jack crap

Can a vested veteran be released while injured? Doesn't he have to pass a physical first or work out some sort of injury settlement?