Camp report 8/6/14 A Look at the Roster WRs; Offensive Line

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Yeah, lol, Gerwel should write about the rams on ROD more if he is a writer for the rams

Maybe he's making the switch. Before I knew about ROD, I always used BR and turfshowtimes for all my rams news. Got sick of BR because all the debate was useless banter and ppl taking shots at each other. And 9er fans, cards fans, and hawks fans coming to the rams side to be trolls. And you get your account frozen if you try and defend yourself and the team lol. It's a joke. That's when I found ROD, I stopped going over there. Here, everyone is chill and respectful of each other and you don't get the trolls from the other teams.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Coach, if you were GM would you try and extend Barksdale now? The guy isn't dominate, but he is very solid and a good player.

I haven't read past page 1 yet, but this crossed my mind too.

The best rosters have guys like Joe on them quietly doing a damn good job. And...for an offensive lineman, that's a compliment.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Great report coach, as usual. I'm the main Rams writer over at B/R (very prestigious, I know), and I can't tell you how great it is reading all the reports from you, Hammer, Nick Wagoner and Twitter. It really helps me stay in the loop so I can avoid sounding like an ignorant fool. I wish I could shake your hand, but I can't make any of the camp practices this year.

Just out of curiosity, how do you get to attend all the practices? Are you retired?

Also, I know you said Tavon looks faster than ever...but are you at all concerned with Quick and Britt getting more 1st team reps than Tavon? I think a lot of people have their hopes tied into TA having a breakout year.

Any opportunity to write is a good opportunity. I enjoy B/R and there is good stuff to be found by good writers like yourself!

(y)

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I don't see them keeping 4 OT's, especially given the flexibility that having Saffold and Robinson there gives them. The other thing working in Person's favor is his ability to play ALL five positions, and if Jones in fact does miss any more time, that could play into it. I just don't see Rhaney as much more than a PS guy at this point.
Wow, has Person gotten any reps at center that you noticed?

My biggest concern with Wells is his injury history, so that could work out I guess.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow, has Person gotten any reps at center that you noticed?

My biggest concern with Wells is his injury history, so that could work out I guess.

He has only taken snaps with the QBs in the pre practice stuff. Hasn't needed to take any during the team drills. I get all the commentary about Wells, and his recent injuries. But can we at least let the guy take a live snap in a game before we start to shovel the dirt on his grave. I would imagine that this coaching staff has a pretty good handle on what he is capable of doing.

The injuries he has suffered WHILE a member of the Rams have been sort of flukish. He gets his foot stepped on in the opener in Detroit in 2012. And last year he gets hurt in week 11. Whats so interesting to me, is we are finally "worrying" about who the BACKUPS are going to be, and not fretting over who will we get to start!!!!

Two words.... Quinn Ojinnaka!!!

CoachO

Hall of Fame
do u think he can handle it. Wouldnt it be smart to see what G Rob could do @ Lt in a real game just to see if he is at least decent @CoachO

I think, its time to leave Robinson focus on playing LG. I would feel much more comfortable with Person, who has taken regular reps there to be able to do the job. My gut tells me they are really going to try and run the ball Friday, and focus on the play action passing game to slow down any pass rush that Ryan might want to bring.

PolarBear

Rookie
Coach what do you expect blitz wise on Friday from Williams, vanilla or regular season? Thanks.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Coach what do you expect blitz wise on Friday from Williams, vanilla or regular season? Thanks.

While I don't think he will get overly exotic, he will certainly blitz more than you would expect for Game One of the Preseason.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
if these offensive parts actually come together this year to their potential (guilty of being a homer last year...) then the offense could be very potent. definitely in the top half DARE I day a 10 spot in the league.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
He has only taken snaps with the QBs in the pre practice stuff. Hasn't needed to take any during the team drills. I get all the commentary about Wells, and his recent injuries. But can we at least let the guy take a live snap in a game before we start to shovel the dirt on his grave. I would imagine that this coaching staff has a pretty good handle on what he is capable of doing.

The injuries he has suffered WHILE a member of the Rams have been sort of flukish. He gets his foot stepped on in the opener in Detroit in 2012. And last year he gets hurt in week 11. Whats so interesting to me, is we are finally "worrying" about who the BACKUPS are going to be, and not fretting over who will we get to start!!!!

Two words.... Quinn Ojinnaka!!!
No, don't dis the Quinn!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not shoveling dirt on Wells. Quite the opposite, I value experience at center more than anywhere else on the line, thus my curiosity.

And you're right, it's a nice problem to have wondering who your third option at center is. But seriously, this is as excited about the offensive line as I have been since the GSOT and you can't blame a guy for that!

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
Seems to me Wells will be the weak/fragile link....eek

StevenG-BR

Rookie
If you are the main rams writer, shouldn't you go to the practices?

Not unless I get paid for it. I get paid to cover the games... not the practices.

I'm a J school student and a hospital employee also. And I live three hours away. So, yeah...

Alan

Legend
CoachO procrastinating:
But can we at least let the guy take a live snap in a game before we start to shovel the dirt on his grave.
Nope. I've already rented a Skid Steer loader for the job and time is money CoachO.

PolarBear

Rookie
Not unless I get paid for it. I get paid to cover the games... not the practices.

I'm a J school student and a hospital employee also. And I live three hours away. So, yeah...
Oh, Well be sure to post your articles on ROD and other thoughts.(y)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think Dahl is still out there waiting for a call. If it gets that bad.
Man I loved the way Harvey played ORG for us ! You may be right & Fisher did say the door was not shut on Harvey's possible return. However Harvey now next birthday will be 34 & only plays one position ORG. I am sure the rams would have to consider what happened to Harvey the last two years too.

Rams released him in March due to Harvey's poor overall health of a injured leg in October of 2013 & never started again. It was a bad grade 3 strain of the knee but the lower leg (Ankle) became an issue too as it wore on. Harvey had surgery on the ankle in late January of 2014, as usual said it was just a clean up job. Same was said about Wells when he first signed with the Rams & that clean up job has robbed the Ram OL of Well's services in many games & it still is giving him issues now in camp. The year before Harvey ended up on the IR with frayed torn Biceps from the elbow:confused:.

Lots of things have happened to the Rams OL since Harvey's released......most of it all very good! Rams have moved forward light-years from when Harvey started his last game for the Rams.....#1 Rams discovered a fabulous jewel of a Right OG in Rodger Saffold. So impressed Snead went out & resigned him to a nice size contract to play Right OG. #2 Snead also went out & signed former all pro Right OG Davin Joseph who is bout 4 yrs younger than Harvey, Joseph has cemented himself in @ ORG since camp began. #3 Snead used the overall #2 first round pick on an OL'er who is slated to start @ OG. Finally #4 Snead signed a 6-6 330 plus pounder WWC from the Panthers who has played surprisingly well @ Right OG. After all that I feel comfortable in saying that between those four Ram OL'ers there is not a inch of room left for a old used up 33 yr old Harvey @ the right OG post. Boudreau has that OL post well covered as he should.:)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think, its time to leave Robinson focus on playing LG. I would feel much more comfortable with Person, who has taken regular reps there to be able to do the job. My gut tells me they are really going to try and run the ball Friday, and focus on the play action passing game to slow down any pass rush that Ryan might want to bring.

Agree here too, seems to me that the very big talent Greg Robinson ....but still a very green in terms of the NFL & short on college game experience likewise add to that Robinson came from a basic offensive OL playbook in college.......One has to think Boudreau's plan would be to get Robinson all the possible pre season game experience @ left OG.

Person has been getting most all the second team action @ OLT....Person was a Four-year starter @ OLT in college. You will see he is smooth on feet in pass protection but undersized for any heavy interior run blocking work. Person is in his 4th TC & pre season since being drafted in 2011. If Person can not prove serviceable @ LEFT OT in pre season then his future with this team gets real cloudy. Boudreau needs to get Person under some fire @ OLT & Robinson the same @ OLG!