Camp report 8/6/14 A Look at the Roster WRs; Offensive Line

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Here is the next group of players in the synopsis:

WRs (11)

81 Kenny Britt 6'3 215 6 Rutgers

Kenny Britt at this point is the biggest steal of the off season in the entire NFL. As long as he can stay healthy, and his knees hold up, he will be the WR this team has looked for since the days of Holt and Bruce. Big, physical receiver, who brings a lot of emotion to his game. He is the unquestionable leader of this unit, being both the #1 cheerleader for each and every WR on the field, and its most talented receiver. He just carries himself like an NFL receiver, and his attitude has rubbed off on the other guys.

83 Brian Quick 6'3 220 3 Appalachian State

Whether it’s been the influence of Britt, or just being more in tune with what it takes to deliver on the talent that garnered the 33rd pick of the draft, Quick has been the biggest surprise of the entire training camp. It’s not just that he is making plays, its how he is doing it. In the past, if he made a mistake or dropped a pass, he would put his head down and look for a place to hide. This year, he has a swagger about him that makes anyone who see it, realize HE now believes he belongs. More importantly, Bradford seems to trust him. He is often the first option, as opposed to the last in previous camps. Crossing fingers and hope it finally happens for this kid.

11 Tavon Austin 5'8 174 2 West Virginia

If it is at all possible, he looks to be playing faster this year. Getting reps both outside at WR and in the slot, especially when Britt and Quick are on the field. Also being seen on a semi regular basis in the backfield, and getting reps in the run game. I am a little concerned that many of his reps are between the tackles which exposes him to more hits than necessary. Obviously, he will be the primary Punt Returner, and will be as dangerous as ever in that role.

12 Stedman Bailey 5'10 193 2 West Virginia

Being paired with Austin in 2 WR sets, he has continued his development. Seems to be establishing a comfort level with Bradford, and should be part of the mix once he returns from his ill-fated suspension. Still appears to be a core contributor on Special Teams, and actually may be missed there as much or more than on offense.

13 Chris Givens 6'0 198 3 Wake Forest

Givens seem to have lost some of the luster in the eyes of the coaching staff. His reps have been greatly reduced, and he is clearly behind all four of the guys already mentioned. He has come on in recent practices, and seems to be finding his stride. But it looks as if he will be a role player this year, being spotted in certain packages. It would take someone to suddenly have a major setback for Givens to make a significant jump on the depth chart. His route tree is still limited, and it still very gun shy running any routes over the middle. Unless this improves, he will be used in a limited role.

18 Austin Pettis 6'3 207 4 Boise State

Working in tandem with Givens, Pettis has also seen his reps decrease this year. He still shows a certain comfort level with Bradford, but I think he will find it difficult to get on the field. In previous camps, he was “the vet” and was given many of the 1st unit reps. Not the case this year, and it’s pretty apparent his role has changed. He is still a presence in the Red Zone, and may find his reps in those situations. Once his 6’3 fame is what set him apart from the other WRs on the roster. That isn’t the case anymore. While I think his roster spot is safe, it wouldn’t surprise me if he ends up being the odd man out.

19 Justin Veltung 5'11 182 1 Idaho

Veltung seems to be taking advantage of being the last of the holdovers from last year’s roster among the WRs. He is currently backing up Austin in the slot, and is one of the guys being given a hard look as a return man on Special Teams. He has flashed some good hands and has made plays when called upon. Still a longshot to stick on the 53 man roster, if they do in fact keep an extra WR through Bailey’s suspension, that leader at this point appears to be Veltung.

16 Emory Blake 6'0 196 1 Auburn

In much the same position as Veltung, he has gotten most of the 2nd unit reps, while also getting some work in the slot when Veltung sat out the past few days. Best hope for him would be another year on the Practice Squad.

87 T.J. Moe 6'0 200 1 Missouri

Until this week, he has been buried on the Depth Chart, shainng 3rd unit reps with guys like Harris and Franklin. Has stepped up since the Scrimmage on Saturday, and has had his best two practices this week. He may have the best hands on the team, catches EVERYTHING thrown in his direction. While he doesn’t possess great straight line speed, his biggest asset is his quickness. He routine gets open on crossing routes and has the ability with the ball in his hands to get extra yards after catch. At this point, I would say he has to have some WOW moments in the Preseason games, to have a chance to stick. Special Teams contributor, of all the UDFA WRs, he has the most upside.

15 Austin Franklin 5'11 189 R New Mexico State

Franklin has shown flashes of athleticism that makes you think he could eventually play at this level. Way too inconsistent in his route running, and his hands are average. With another year, if he can find his way to another training camp, he may develop. But as will be the case with many of these UDFA, not this year.

10 Jordan Harris 6'2 215 R Bryant University

He just hasn’t gotten enough reps in camp to get any kind of feel for his ability. Which might be all you need to know about his ability. Another camp body who likely won’t survive the first wave of cuts.

Offensive Line (16)

Tackles:

77 Jake Long 6'7 322 7 Michigan

Maybe the biggest piece of the 2104 puzzle. A healthy Jake Long will allow everything and everyone else to fall into place across the O-Line. He appears to be right on schedule (if not ahead) to be on the field for the 2nd or 3rd Preseason Game. His workload has gradually increased, with him participating in the majority of the practice the past two day. Still limited somewhat in the 11 on 11 team stuff the second half of practice, he is in on most of the running game drill they have been running this week.

He looks like he is moving well, and even got dinged on his surgically repaired knee at practice yesterday, came up limping, took a few steps and it was like, OKAY, got that out of the way, my knee is good.

72 Joe Barksdale 6'5 326 4 LSU

Barksdale is as consistent as it gets. The best thing you can say about an Offensive Tackle is he doesn’t get noticed very often. While the defensive scheme has been overwhelming at times with all the blitzes, Barksdale hold his own. In the one on one drills, he really shows up. Should continue to improve as the season gets underway. Just one more piece of what could be a vastly improved unit.

64 Sean Hooey 6'9 304 1 Cincinnati

Maybe the most improved lineman in camp this year, he is noticeably bigger. At 6’9 and 300+ lbs, he is long and has issues with speed rushers. But his reach help him recover, and seems to be entrenched at RT and his skill set may be limited to that side of the ball.

73 Mike Person 6'4 299 4 Montana State

Very versatile lineman, has seen reps at both Guard and Tackle most recently being used at LT on the 2nd unit. Somewhat undersized, and gets physically dominate when inside, as enough athleticism outside to have a chance. At this point, has the inside track to one of the final roster spots.

66 Mitchell Van Dyk 6'7 313 R Portland State

Tall lanky, not strong enough to stand up to NFL pass rushers. Will benefit greatly from a year in an NFL weight room. Has decent feet, and has been given a look at LG this week, more as a fill in with players sitting out practice.

62 R. J. Dill 6'7 310 1 Rutgers

One of the last players brought in, has the size to be considered a potential NFL lineman. Not much else. Routinely beaten on the edge while getting 3rd unit reps at RT. Depending on the injury situation with other players on the line, he may survive the initial cut, but not much more than a camp body.

Guards:

79 Greg Robinson (T/G) 6'5 332 R Auburn

Has shown all the athleticism that garnered him the #2 pick in the NFL draft. Highly reported his day to day activity in getting reps at both LT and LG. Once he gets settled at LG, he has all the signs of being an over powering force inside. He physically manhandles guys, and while he still struggles sometimes with the mental side of things (false starts), and still isn’t playing full speed, once he settles it, the sky is the limit.

76 Rodger Saffold (G/T) 6'5 332 4 Indiana

Another player who’s health is vital to the success of this offense, he showed last year he can be a dominant Guard, and will solidify the interior of this O-Line. Versatile, and has worked more at LG than at his projected RG spot, once Long gets back he should be able to get consistent reps at the RG position. Coming to camp at 332 lbs, it shows. Much bigger, but still quick on his feet. One of the leaders of the unit.

69 Davin Joseph 6'3 313 9 Oklahoma

He appears to be recovered from his knee issues. Has missed ONE day of practice, and has taken virtually EVERY snap at RG with the starters. Has a reputation for having a nasty streak about him, in the way he plays the game, it shows in how he attacks his man. Should provide valuable insurance in the event they experience the past health issues on the starting unit. Not saying it will happen, but It wouldn’t shock me either, if they started the season with Joseph at RG, and Saffold at LG.

60 Travis Bond 6'6 330 1 North Carolina

A big & powerful guy, he has been locked in at RG with the 2nd unit since the second day of training camp. Moves well for his size, and is a dominant run blocker. One of those guys when he gets his hands on you, it’s over. Has been a pleasant surprise for me. Could be a guy who manages to make the team, especially if they keep 10.

70 Brandon Washington 6'2 318 2 Miami

One of the holdover from last year, he has missed some valuable time sitting out the past week. His days may be numbered, as I think they have brought in players that have passed him up. He stuck in the past, because he was the best of what was a very thin group, and that’s not necessarily the case now. If he gets back on the field, he could compete with Bond for the last spot.

68 D.J. Morrell 6'6 325 R Old Dominion

Another of that last group of players brought right before camp started, like Dill, he is not much more than a camp body. Doubtful he survives the first cut.

Centers:

63 Scott Wells 6'2 300 11 Tennessee

Another key component on THIS YEAR’S offensive line, he has missed significant time for the 3rd straight training camp. Along with Jake Long, he is working his way back into the mix, getting substantial work in teams drills this past week. Having Wells on the field will be a key, as his experience lining up next to Robinson will go a long way in bringing the talented rookie along. Wells looks good in drills, and his experience will allow him to step right in. He can be effective in pas protection, and with the two big bodies on each side of him, should be much better in the running game in getting to the second level.

61 Tim Barnes 6'4 306 3 Missouri

Has received more reps than anyone on the entire offensive line. With Wells being limited early in camp, to now having Jones M-I-A, Barnes is on the field A LOT. He is bigger and stronger this year, and looks much more confident. He should provide dependable depth at Center, and can play guard if needed. Very good as a shot gun center, he is showing why he has now been in an NFL camp 4 straight year. Also included on the 1st unit Kickoff and FG/XP units.

67 Barrett Jones 6'4 306 2 Alabama

He came to training camp as one of the most polarizing players on the team. He benefited from his time in the weight room, and reshaped his physique and looked much more like an NFL lineman than he did last year. He was involved in a daily rotation with Barnes for the backup center spot, but has been injured, and hasn’t been on the field since before the scrimmage. His injury may be more serious than anyone is admitting to, and I wouldn’t be surprised to hear he finds his to IR.

65 Demetrius Rhaney 6'2 301 R Tennessee State

This team’s last player picked in the NFL draft, he shows surprising athleticism. He has gotten a look at both Center and Guard, he has had his moments, both good and bad. Seems to have the strength to hold up to the bigger bodies of the NFL, but struggles against the quicker guys (Donald). Should be a guy who they have interest in adding to the Practice Squad.

Last edited:

StevenG-BR

Rookie
Great report coach, as usual. I'm the main Rams writer over at B/R (very prestigious, I know), and I can't tell you how great it is reading all the reports from you, Hammer, Nick Wagoner and Twitter. It really helps me stay in the loop so I can avoid sounding like an ignorant fool. I wish I could shake your hand, but I can't make any of the camp practices this year.

Just out of curiosity, how do you get to attend all the practices? Are you retired?

Also, I know you said Tavon looks faster than ever...but are you at all concerned with Quick and Britt getting more 1st team reps than Tavon? I think a lot of people have their hopes tied into TA having a breakout year.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Good stuff Coach.

So our starters are:
LONG
ROBINSON
WELLS
SAFFOLD
BARKSDALE

If Long goes down:
SAFFOLD
ROBINSON
WELLS
JOSEPH
BARKSDALE

If Saffold goes down:
LONG
ROBINSON
WELLS
JOSEPH
BARKSDALE

If Wells goes down:
LONG
ROBINSON
BARNES
SAFFOLD
BARKSDALE

If Long and Saffold go down? Whats your take there?
If Long, Saffold and Wells go down what does it look like?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great report coach, as usual. I'm the main Rams writer over at B/R (very prestigious, I know), and I can't tell you how great it is reading all the reports from you, Hammer, Nick Wagoner and Twitter. It really helps me stay in the loop so I can avoid sounding like an ignorant fool. I wish I could shake your hand, but I can't make any of the camp practices this year.

Just out of curiosity, how do you get to attend all the practices? Are you retired?

Also, I know you said Tavon looks faster than ever...but are you at all concerned with Quick and Britt getting more 1st team reps than Tavon? I think a lot of people have their hopes tied into TA having a breakout year.

When you say "breakout year", it sounds to me like you are using Fantasy Football stats as a measuring stick for success.

I am not concerned about them getting more reps than Tavon, and honestly it would benefit everyone concerned if that indeed is the case. Its not about the reps, it's about the manner in which they are divided. Tavon will be the BIG PLAY guy, but to think he needs to get 10 offensive touches a game to make a difference is naive. The more success Quick and Britt have, will only benefit Tavon, by giving him more space to operate in. Also, keep in mind, the overall approach on offense will not lend itself to any of these receivers having huge "breakout" years in terms of catches and yards. Just my take on it, but there also should be more big play opportunities off of play action.

Also, with this defense, teams SHOULD be punting the ball back to us more frequently. He will have plenty of opportunities to make plays.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Always appreciative of the info coach....Great look at these players without seeing them....Hoping Bond makes the team but it's a lil crowded.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
oops! edit fail...welp, I can give ya some more props, the MAN at BR wanna shake your hand! LOL

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Good stuff Coach.

If Long AND Saffold go down.....

ROBINSON
BOND
WELLS
JOSEPH
BARKSDALE

If Long, Saffold AND Wells go down.....
ROBINSON
BOND
BARNES
JOSEPH
BARKSDALE

that would be how I see it panning out.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Good stuff Coach.

So our starters are:
LONG
ROBINSON
WELLS
SAFFOLD
BARKSDALE

If Long goes down:
SAFFOLD
ROBINSON
WELLS
JOSEPH
BARKSDALE

If Saffold goes down:
LONG
ROBINSON
WELLS
JOSEPH
BARKSDALE

If Wells goes down:
LONG
ROBINSON
BARNES
SAFFOLD
BARKSDALE

making me nervous already...lol

jjab360

Legend
4ed75ac8e9b5f.preview-300.jpg

:(;)

On a side note there are just way too many results if you search "Sam Bradford sacked" in Google images.

BD-TomCat

Rookie

I'm not coach but Tavon natural spot is the Slot the rams will move him all over the field though and get great Value from him this year

FRO

Legend
Coach, if you were GM would you try and extend Barksdale now? The guy isn't dominate, but he is very solid and a good player.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Reading this gets me excited. Bond and Joseph give us real solid depth at guard. How lucky were we that Joseph was still sitting around waiting for a call after the draft?

FRO

Legend
Remember when we had Hunter Ojinnakka Turner Dahl and Richardson as our starting 5? So glad those days are behind us.

FRO

Legend
Reading this gets me excited. Bond and Joseph give us real solid depth at guard. How lucky were we that Joseph was still sitting around waiting for a call after the draft?
I know both Saffold and Robinson can play OT, but I wish we had a quality 3rd OT on the bench.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I know both Saffold and Robinson can play OT, but I wish we had a quality 3rd OT on the bench.

I hear ya, the depth behind the starters is pretty bleak. I would be confident with bond and Joseph plugging in. Hooey or Person, not so much. Maybe some team will cut another Barksdale we can grab this year after cuts.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Yeah, thats why i asked CoachO about any scenario where Long, Wells and Saffold cant go.
I would assume that GRob plays LT(dubious at this point), Bond at LG, Barnes at C, Joseph and Barksdale. Thats a sketchy left side. I wonder if it would be smarter to move Joseph over to LG next to GRob. Obviously we all hope it doesn't come to this worst case scenario...but lets not fool ourselves, history says that Long, Wells Saffold won't play a full season.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Keep it coming,better than many of the reports of people who get paid

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Yeah, thats why i asked CoachO about any scenario where Long, Wells and Saffold cant go.
I would assume that GRob plays LT(dubious at this point), Bond at LG, Barnes at C, Joseph and Barksdale. Thats a sketchy left side. I wonder if it would be smarter to move Joseph over to LG next to GRob. Obviously we all hope it doesn't come to this worst case scenario...but lets not fool ourselves, history says that Long, Wells Saffold won't play a full season.

Guys, they haven't even taken one snap in a preseason game, and you are already worrying about worst case scenarios. If they get to the point where they lose 3 starters all at once, it won't matter who they have as backups. They will be so limited in what they can do scheme wise, it will be 2012 all over again.