Camp report 8/6/14 A Look at the Roster WRs; Offensive Line

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would agree with CoachO post here. Very well said(y)

I see seven sure Ram master roster OL'ers with Wells & Barnes @ OC. Joseph, Saffold & Robinson @ OG's. Barksdale & Long @ OT's. I do expect 10 OL'ers maybe 11 (due to the serious recent injury history to the above listed five of the seven)to be on the finale master roster.

With top reserve young vet center Tim Barnes being able to play three interior OL posts & Robinson able to work @ left OG/OT diminished Boudreau's need for a back up OG very low....not good for ORG Travis Bond who has surprised most but the Rams already have Saffold & Joseph & even Barnes who could fill in here. IMO Bond needs to show he can handle the ORT post too to seal the deal on making this roster. If Bond could succeed in that he would be the #8 Ram OL.

Undersized Mike Person can play all five OL posts! Another plus is he is one tough dude who from what I can find has no injury history in college or in NFL. Another good thing going in Mike's way is he is consistently lining up as the Rams #2 OLT thus far in 11 days of camp sure helps his cause & value if Barrett Jones is IR'd, Person's ability to play center also will increase his value. I would say he is in a good position here.

The lost of center Barrett Jones due to injury is not a big deal to me. Barrett could go IR then return back after the bye like Scott Wells did last yr. Right OT Sean Hooey plays basically one position just like Joe Barksdale does. Hooey's size alone @ 6-9 305 pounds & still growing will bring interest for the future plus add that ORT Barksdale is a UFA after this season...Boudreau has a high need for bona fide reserve @ ORT. If Barksdale was to go down the only real OL'er that could be inserted @ this post is Saffold....Saffold is not that good @ ORT!

So @ this time this is how I see our OL:
ORT- Barksdale/Hooey
ORG- Joseph/Bond
OC- Wells/Barnes
OLG- Saffold/Robinson
OLT- Long/Person

Practice Squad: OT Mitchell Van Dyk & OC Demetrius Rhaney

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
Guys, they haven't even taken one snap in a preseason game, and you are already worrying about worst case scenarios. If they get to the point where they lose 3 starters all at once, it won't matter who they have as backups. They will be so limited in what they can do scheme wise, it will be 2012 all over again.
I think Dahl is still out there waiting for a call. If it gets that bad.

PolarBear

Rookie
Great report coach, as usual. I'm the main Rams writer over at B/R (very prestigious, I know), and I can't tell you how great it is reading all the reports from you, Hammer, Nick Wagoner and Twitter. It really helps me stay in the loop so I can avoid sounding like an ignorant fool. I wish I could shake your hand, but I can't make any of the camp practices this year.

Just out of curiosity, how do you get to attend all the practices? Are you retired?

Also, I know you said Tavon looks faster than ever...but are you at all concerned with Quick and Britt getting more 1st team reps than Tavon? I think a lot of people have their hopes tied into TA having a breakout year.
If you are the main rams writer, shouldn't you go to the practices?

Alan

Legend
How dare you not have Veltung in the top 5 @CoachO !:mad:
Seriously though, another great job and it's going to be really interesting to see who wins the Bond vs Person battle to be the 9th or 10th man.

PolarBear

Rookie
Great report coach, as usual. I'm the main Rams writer over at B/R (very prestigious, I know), and I can't tell you how great it is reading all the reports from you, Hammer, Nick Wagoner and Twitter. It really helps me stay in the loop so I can avoid sounding like an ignorant fool. I wish I could shake your hand, but I can't make any of the camp practices this year.

Just out of curiosity, how do you get to attend all the practices? Are you retired?

Also, I know you said Tavon looks faster than ever...but are you at all concerned with Quick and Britt getting more 1st team reps than Tavon? I think a lot of people have their hopes tied into TA having a breakout year.
I looked you up out of curiosity, because I was interested in your Rams articles and find this....
http://bleacherreport.com/users/110512-steven-g-garcia
Steven G. Garcia

• ABOUT
      I am a life-long fan of the San Francisco 49ers. I grew up living across the street from the 49ers former Headquarters Facility in Redwood City, Ca. I went to my first NFL game in 1985, it was the Superbowl in Palo Alto, California at Stanford Stadium. I don't remember much but my parents entrenched me in this Franchise since I can remember. I have been a Season Ticket holder for six years now and I follow the team on a day to day basis.

I started writing for the Bleacher Report because I believe I can provide good analysis and opinion on what is going on with the franchise. Being an MBA graduate, I love the business side of the NFL and would love to one-day work for the league or as a beat writer for the team. Wish me luck and thank you for reading my blog, please leave feedback and comments as you see fit.

• Please tell me I have the wrong man, I find it unsettling the main BR Rams writer is a 49er fan.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
How dare you not have Veltung in the top 5 @CoachO !:mad:
Seriously though, another great job and it's going to be really interesting to see who wins the Bond vs Person battle to be the 9th man.
My guess, to be honest with you, is they could easily keep both. Person's bigger competition could come from Sean Hooey as the extra OT for the 10th spot.

Alan

Legend
CoachO liking Person:
My guess, to be honest with you, is they could easily keep both. Person's bigger competition could come from Sean Hooey as the extra OT for the 10th spot.
Another likely scenario in my mind would be keeping 4 Ts (Hooey and Person and only 3 Gs with Jones (if he makes the team) being the 4th G and 3rd C. What do you think?

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I think they'll keep Jones for depth at center.

Not sure they keep both Hooey and Person though.

Not with two guards that can play tackle.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
Thanks for the report Coach.

Given our recent history with Wells, the most positive part of this report for me is the development of Barnes. With the presence of Saffold and Joseph, the a Rams seem to have a good contengency plan for all the other positions on the line but center. And Jones seems to be having some trouble staying on the field.

With as many games as Wells has missed the past couple years, it's not difficult to wonder how quickly the center of the future might become the center of the present. You'd obviously love to have Robinson learn between Long and Wells, but that may not be a possibility.

Barnes could be really key.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I think they'll keep Jones for depth at center.

Not sure they keep both Hooey and Person though.

Not with two guards that can play tackle.

There is no confirmation on the injury , but I am not counting on Jones to be in mix.

Last edited:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Another likely scenario in my mind would be keeping 4 Ts (Hooey and Person and only 3 Gs with Jones (if he makes the team) being the 4th G and 3rd C. What do you think?

I don't see them keeping 4 OT's, especially given the flexibility that having Saffold and Robinson there gives them. The other thing working in Person's favor is his ability to play ALL five positions, and if Jones in fact does miss any more time, that could play into it. I just don't see Rhaney as much more than a PS guy at this point.

Last edited:

Alan

Legend
Well I'm a little late to the party. I didn't even know the latest on Jones. Possible back injury eh? Poop! I have to rethink this now. I see why you're saying that now @CoachO .

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Well I'm a little late to the party. I didn't even know the latest on Jones. Possible injury eh? Poop! I have to rethink this now. I see why you're saying that now @CoachO .

I dont know the extent of his injury. So commenting on it anymore would be pure speculation.

Lesson

Oh, really?
IIRC, wasn't Hooey that was leading to problems when Clemens was in at QB in the preseason in Cleveland? How much different does his game look?

Also, thanks again for doing this CoachO. Your reports are very in depth and your effort is greatly appreciated.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
IIRC, wasn't Hooey that was leading to problems when Clemens was in at QB in the preseason in Cleveland? How much different does his game look?

Also, thanks again for doing this CoachO. Your reports are very in depth and your effort is greatly appreciated.

Hooey was one of the first guys to stand out to me on the very first day of camp. Its obvious he spent plenty of time in the weight room this off season. Aside from being 6'9, he is now well over 300 lbs, and looks to be much stronger at the point of attack. While he has some early struggles vs, Michael Sam, once they put pads on, that seemed to level out. The thing about him, he is limited to the RT spot. He struggles with speed rushers, but has gotten better with using his length and reach to recover.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I looked you up out of curiosity, because I was interested in your Rams articles and find this....
http://bleacherreport.com/users/110512-steven-g-garcia
Steven G. Garcia

• ABOUT
      I am a life-long fan of the San Francisco 49ers. I grew up living across the street from the 49ers former Headquarters Facility in Redwood City, Ca. I went to my first NFL game in 1985, it was the Superbowl in Palo Alto, California at Stanford Stadium. I don't remember much but my parents entrenched me in this Franchise since I can remember. I have been a Season Ticket holder for six years now and I follow the team on a day to day basis.

I started writing for the Bleacher Report because I believe I can provide good analysis and opinion on what is going on with the franchise. Being an MBA graduate, I love the business side of the NFL and would love to one-day work for the league or as a beat writer for the team. Wish me luck and thank you for reading my blog, please leave feedback and comments as you see fit.

• Please tell me I have the wrong man, I find it unsettling the main BR Rams writer is a 49er fan.

You have the wrong guy. I like bleached report. Gives me something to read. The main rams writer is Steven Gerwel. Not sure who this Garcia guy is haha. But Gerwel has some pretty solid articles.

PolarBear

Rookie
You have the wrong guy. I like bleached report. Gives me something to read. The main rams writer is Steven Gerwel. Not sure who this Garcia guy is haha. But Gerwel has some pretty solid articles.
Thank God, I searched steveng and bleacher report and i got that. I would be pissed off if a 49er writer wrote on the rams.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Thank God, I searched steveng and bleacher report and i got that. I would be pissed off if a 49er writer wrote on the rams.

Yeah for real, we would have had to revoke his ROD membership for being a fraud.