Camp Report 8/4/14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Thanks Coach and that's why I love preseason games because you get to see how guys respond to live action. Hope some of the guys can get back especially Brian Quick who IMO can use the success in preseason to catapult him for the regular season.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I love these reports. Best camp coverage by observers, unfiltered.

It's wise of coach to remind us these are practices. It's one of many data points in the player evaluation process.

Thank you CoachO for the effort!

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm curious to know about Christian Bryant as well. Maybe I'm dreaming but for some reason I thought he actually participated in some form of practice yesterday.
Did you Miss the bullet point where mentioned he was activated from the PUP list?

He participated in the one in one drills and all of the unit drills.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Did you Miss the bullet point where mentioned he was activated from the PUP list?

He participated in the one in one drills and all of the unit drills.
That's where I saw it! I read the report shortly before going to bed and couldn't figure out why I thought Christian Bryant was getting some work in.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
That's where I saw it! I read the report shortly before going to bed and couldn't figure out why I thought Christian Bryant was getting some work in.

He was VERY limited in what they allowed him to do. He tried to sneak his way onto the field for one of the Special Teams (punt coverage) and they got him off the field.

He had a couple of reps in the one on one drills and did fine. I would love for him to get some extra work in and get caught up as much as possible over the rest of camp. He is quite behind, missing ALL of the OTAs, and the first two weeks of camp. But when all is said and done, he may end up being the best of the group of young safeties they brought in.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
How has Harlan looked? I catch a mention of him here or there in twitter reports but can't imagine with the Rams Dline depth that he stands a chance of making the team. Is he PS worthy?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
How has Harlan looked? I catch a mention of him here or there in twitter reports but can't imagine with the Rams Dline depth that he stands a chance of making the team. Is he PS worthy?

Its so hard to get a gauge on him. He flashes some quickness off the ball. But he has been lined up next to Donald for much of the team stuff, and anyone would look like they are stuck in the starting blocks compared to him.

He wins his share of one on one battles, but as you mentioned, would be the shock of training camp if he were to make this roster. As far as the PS, long shot at best. I would think there are other guys, including DL guys who would be considered ahead of him even in that regard. Westbrooks, or Sam (although doubtful they would get thru waivers)

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I think he looks better this year. It has been reported more than once that he is bigger, and stronger due to his working out and being forced to work on his upper body. He has plenty of zip on his throws, and seems to be very confident in making throws he seemed hesitant to make in the past. Also, he is showing much more confidence in guys like Quick and Bailey. In previous camps, he only looked at Quick as a last resort. Now he is often his first option. They have been on the same page on a few "Sight adjustments" which was unheard of before now.

Unless there is a major setback, I expect him to be as close to 100% come Sept 7th.
This is a great answer...and thanks, and thanks to Dr for asking. I have no problem with Bradford on anything. Bad O line, below average Wr's pretty much every year of his career. That has changed, and so will the results. He ain't no Tony Banks!

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Sounds chippy.

May be a good time for an appearance from Jeff Fisher's ice cream truck.

TGZ

Rookie
Name
Dylan
Coach in your opinion, who has had the better camp? LaMarcus Joyner or EJ Gaines?

I ask partially because of the reports I've read and also because of the admittedly very unofficial team depth chart.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Coach in your opinion, who has had the better camp? LaMarcus Joyner or EJ Gaines?

I ask partially because of the reports I've read and also because of the admittedly very unofficial team depth chart.

Don't read too much into the Unofficial Depth Chart. They don't have a position listed for the Nickel back.

I think they are having similar camps. For different reasons. They both have shown the individual skill sets that show why there were drafted. Gaines obviously is a better "pure" corner. While Joyner has more upside as an overall player. But if you are expecting Joyner to be a CB, as in on the outside covering WRs, it won't happen. Gaines, on the other hand, can and will have be the main depth guy in both the CB and the Nickel?

They both have a tremendous football IQ, in that they understand how they need to play to be successful. I expect both players to be very good fits in Williams scheme.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
I like what I'm reading about Gilbert and Bond. Excited to see them play in preseason along with our backups at running back.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Great report and great questions/answers in this thread, thanks for the efforts. Best offseason reading for those of us who can't be there and see the action. I can't wait for Friday!

BD-TomCat

Rookie
Coach looking at Chris Long long in video interviews He Looks A Lot bigger how has he looked in camp not much mention of him

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The thing about Bond, at least for me, I would like to see if he can get some work at OT. If there was enough there to prove serviceable as a utility T/G, it would increase his value. They need to find someone who can supply depth at OT, we have plenty of depth at G.
'
I agree CoachO ...did you forget something on your report today? I sure like these reports from you:bow:

If Travis Bond were to show that he could at least perform well enough @ RIGHT OT & ORG behind Barksdale & Joseph then IMO Bond would seal the deal & secure him a spot on this master roster. Just to show you I do read your reports fully ;)I was looking for information as to how that second team OL came out? :(

Other ORT's like Van Dyk, RJ Dill & Sean Hooey from your previous reports were the main Ol'ers currently working @ ORT.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
'
I agree CoachO ...did you forget something on your report today? I sure like these reports from you:bow:

If Travis Bond were to show that he could at least perform well enough @ RIGHT OT & ORG behind Barksdale & Joseph then IMO Bond would seal the deal & secure him a spot on this master roster. Just to show you I do read your reports fully ;)I was looking for information as to how that second team OL came out? :(

Other ORT's like Van Dyk, RJ Dill & Sean Hooey from your previous reports were the main Ol'ers currently working @ ORT.

What did i forget?

UkRam83

UDFA
CoachO thanks for all your camp reports. It's great getting a read on how we might be progressing all the way over in the UK.