Camp Report 8/4/14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Camp Report 8/4/14

Players not participating: Pat Schiller; Kadeem Jones, Jarrid Bryant; Janoris Jenkins, James Laurinaitis, Trey Watts; Barrett Jones, Rodger Saffold; Brian Quick; Michael Brockers; Kendall Langford; Brandon McGee

Christian Bryant has been activated from the PUP List and took part in his first NFL training camp practice today.

Sammy Brown dressed and participated in unit drills, no team drills

Isaiah Pead dressed, and participated in unit drill as well as Special Team drill, no team drills (offense)

Jake Long and Scott Wells participated in the unit drills, got their most extensive work to date.

James Laurinaitis sighting, IN A WALKING BOOT

Today’s Attire: SHOULDER PADS and shorts

Offense:

1st Unit: Started team drills with Long , Robinson, Wells, Joseph, Barksdale

· This unit got more reps in live drills and seem to be progressing.

Defense:

1st Unit: Long Carrington; Donald; Quinn; MLB- Dunbar SLB- Ogletree; WLB- Armstrong; Johnson; Woodard; McLeod; McDonald

· With Laurinaitis out, Dunbar took all the reps at MLB, with Armstrong taking the WLB reps

· With Jenkins and McGee out, Woodard took his reps, Joyner back in at Nickel.

· When Brockers and Langford out, Carrington and DONALD stepped in with the “1’s”

2nd Unit: Hayes Harlan Conrath Sims Steward Bates Wilson Reid Gaines C. Davis Alexander

· With Armstrong moving up, Lawrence Wilson moves up to take the WLB reps with Bates and Steward at the other 2 LB spots

· Reid got his most serious look moving up to reps with the 2’s.

Theme of the day: It was Hot, and tempers were short

· A Couple of skirmishes broke out, with the biggest one involving LaMarcus Joyner. He came up and popped Pettis and the offense took exception to it. Pushing and grabbing ensued with Barksdale “hog-tying” Joyner and the masses all coming together.

· Greg Reid took advantage of his opportunity working with the 2nd unit, and was “hitting” people in what was supposed to be a non-contact 7 on 7 passing drill.

o In response to that, Alec Ogletree could be heard YELLING to the offense, “no apologizin for competin!”

· Armstrong worked over Harkey in the 7 on 7 drill, following him back towards the huddle running his mouth. Only to be intercepted by Coach Fisher who had a nice “friendly” chat with him about his nonstop antics. Coincidently, there were no other incidents of trash talking from Mr. Armstrong for the duration of practice.

o I heard from someone that his antics are wearing thin, especially with the offense and the chippiness is not unexpected. Look for this to continue if Armstrong doesn’t calm down.

Special Teams:

Punt Coverage

1st Unit:

Gunners: Pead and Bailey

B. Cunningham Armstrong Steward McQuaide Sims Bates Harkey C. Davis Hekker

2nd Unit:

Gunners: Blake and McLeod (McGee was not dressed)

Alexander Sabino Wilson Hus Brodine A. Hill Mason Daniels Hekker

Running Game:

They worked for an extended time on a drill with the O-line split and running the football. This was the first time in this year’s camp they dedicated any full unit work on the running game.

· On one side of the field they had the Right side of the line (Barksdale, Joseph Barnes) with Kendricks and J. Cunningham, and RB (rotated B. Cunningham and Mason)

· And on the other side of the field, was the Left side of the line (Long, Robinson and Wells) with Cook, Harkey and RBs (Stacy and Reynolds)

· The offensive line was dominant for much of the drill. They opened holes, and had plenty of push.

2nd Unit took their turn

· Travis Bond is the real deal in the running game out of the RG position. Once he locks on to his man, he routinely drives them 4-5 yrds off the LOS.

· JoLonn Dunbar is still quite good against the run

· Daren Bates is learning to play MLB and learning quickly

CAMP OBSERVATIONS:

During one on one passing drills there were a few noteworthy items

· Cody Davis just makes plays.

· Kenny Britt just out muscles most anyone in the secondary and will not be denied

· EJ Gaines can cover

· Rodney McLeod never quits on a play

· Tavon Austin just turns guys in circles

· Austin Pettis is still a Red Zone threat

Greg Reid had his first INT in 11 on 11 drills. Stepped in front of a quick out and pick SIX.

It is becoming increasingly obvious, this team needs someone else to play against. The Preseason Game vs. the Saints can’t get here soon enough.

Last edited:

A55VA6

Legend
Great work, Coach. I can't agree with you more. Friday can't come soon enough!

RustyRay

Rookie
From all the camp reports outside of Britt few on the O talk much, while on D the unit loves to chat, Ogletree now Joyner...and of course Armstrong. Jenkins and Tru have been known to jaw as well.

Read something that Harkey crushed Armstrong later on after a catch did you see that Coach?

PolarBear

Rookie
I really love Bond too. I can't wait to see him again in person tomorrow. In a year or 2, Once Robinson takes over at LT, I hope Boudreau has him groomed and prepared to take over at guard so we don't have to draft a guard. I would love to see Stacy running behind Robinson and Bond on the left side. They are maulers.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I really love Bond too. I can't wait to see him again in person tomorrow. In a year or 2, Once Robinson takes over at LT, I hope Boudreau has him groomed and prepared to take over at guard so we don't have to draft a guard. I would love to see Stacy running behind Robinson and Bond on the left side. They are maulers.

Yes, that would be nice. Great to see the rams doing things the right way now.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
From all the camp reports outside of Britt few on the O talk much, while on D the unit loves to chat, Ogletree now Joyner...and of course Armstrong. Jenkins and Tru have been known to jaw as well.

Read something that Harkey crushed Armstrong later on after a catch did you see that Coach?

I have to make a comment. I watched the first part of practice intently, and the depth chart info is accurate. I met up with a long time friend, and most of the 11 on 11 team stuff the second half of practice was half watched. LOL I saw the exchange between Pettis and Joyner, but not much else.

FRO

Legend
This will be a physical team. Like hearing the aggression.

CoachO

Hall of Fame

The thing about Bond, at least for me, I would like to see if he can get some work at OT. If there was enough there to prove serviceable as a utility T/G, it would increase his value. They need to find someone who can supply depth at OT, we have plenty of depth at G.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Coach-O, thanks again just as the others have stated.

With all the trash talk and pushing and shoving and pinching and gouging and hitting and biting, the one thing I love the most is that Coach Fish has control of this team! He knows when a dressing down is needed and is not afraid to do so. To anyone!

He is a great leader in my book.

Veteran Ram

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Thanks Coach. Always appreciate it.

How did Carrington look with the 1s? I think he might have a good chance at doing some damage in the nickel defense if he plays well.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Great report as always CoachO.

Just curious on how Donald and Carrington looked with the #1's today since thats the first extended time against them?

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Thanks Coach. Always appreciate it.

How did Carrington look with the 1s? I think he might have a good chance at doing some damage in the nickel defense if he plays well.
Damnit!!! Beat again by mere seconds lol.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Great report as always CoachO.

Just curious on how Donald and Carrington looked with the #1's today since thats the first extended time against them?

nothing special to be quite honest.

Donald is going to be a special player, but he is still is gonna have those rookie days.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
Thanks Coach.

Kind of a bummer, it sounds like this was a big running day and they were missing Saffold, Brockers, Langford and JL.

Hopefully they'll be a bit healthier as camp goes on.

stlramscar

UDFA
Thanks for the report coach, Greg Reid is my long shot favorite to make the team,your earlier reports on him really disappointed me cause I watched the guy at FSU and I saw the talent. He may be short but he is VERY physical corner,so him hitting people and getting a pick 6 doesn't surprise me at all.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Thanks Coach.

Kind of a bummer, it sounds like this was a big running day and they were missing Saffold, Brockers, Langford and JL.

Hopefully they'll be a bit healthier as camp goes on.

Guys, as much as I love reporting on these practices, let's not lose sight that they are PRACTICES. Don't read to much into one practice. At this point in camp, its more about how the TEAM is coming together, and what they are working on AS A TEAM. Its much less about the individuals at this point other than to report who is moving around the depth chart. But as everyone should be able to tell, with all the players on the sidelines, even that can be misleading.

Sorry to burst the bubbles of some, but there is NO WAY Greg Reid is getting 2nd team reps if Jenkins and McGee are out there. There is no way that Armstrong is getting 1st unit reps if Laurinaitis os not in a walking boot. I know there are A LOT of people who don't want to believe that. But it is what it is.