Camp Report 8/4/14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the report coach, Greg Reid is my long shot favorite to make the team,your earlier reports on him really disappointed me cause I watched the guy at FSU and I saw the talent. He may be short but he is VERY physical corner,so him hitting people and getting a pick 6 doesn't surprise me at all.

See my previous post. Don't get overly excited about his chances just yet. With Jenkins and McGee sitting on the sidelines, he got a chance. But there is ZERO chance he stays there when they come back. Sorry, but that's just how it is. And BTW,, his pick six was vs, the 3rd unit.

Last edited:

FRO

Legend
Guys, as much as I love reporting on these practices, let's not lose sight that they are PRACTICES. Don't read to much into one practice. At this point in camp, its more about how the TEAM is coming together, and what they are working on AS A TEAM. Its much less about the individuals at this point other than to report who is moving around the depth chart. But as everyone should be able to tell, with all the players on the sidelines, even that can be misleading.

Sorry to burst the bubbles of some, but there is NO WAY Greg Reid is getting 2nd team reps if Jenkins and McGee are out there. There is no way that Armstrong is getting 1st unit reps if Laurinaitis os not in a walking boot. I know there are A LOT of people who don't want to believe that. But it is what it is.
Would you rather have Reid or Daniels on the final 53?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Would you rather have Reid or Daniels on the final 53?

Daniels,,, and that's saying alot for me, cuz i am not a huge Matt Daniels fan. But he has worked his way on to many of the ST, where Reid is no where to be found on any of them. But I also find it telling that Matt Daniels is still noticeably behind Alexander on the depth chart at the SS spot.

PolarBear

Rookie
I would like to add something Hammer Said in today's report...
"will say I loved Gilbert before the draft and love him even more at watching him at camp...looks like a solid late1/2nd rd pick from practice..right now a steal...raw but really flashes..made a great sidearm throw to get around a pass rusher today, moves very well in the pocket and is making better decisions with the ball and making solid throws in tight windows..."
Are you as high on Gilbert as Hammer, Coach0?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The thing about Bond, at least for me, I would like to see if he can get some work at OT. If there was enough there to prove serviceable as a utility T/G, it would increase his value. They need to find someone who can supply depth at OT, we have plenty of depth at G.
Any idea why he's not used at OT? That's what he came out of college as....You said his athleticism was up to par, maybe to give Hooey & Van Dyk a chance to prove their worth? Or some deeper plan/meaning.....

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Any idea why he's not used at OT? That's what he came out of college as....You said his athleticism was up to par, maybe to give Hooey & Van Dyk a chance to prove their worth? Or some deeper plan/meaning.....

I would say that makes sense, except VanDyk is not taking reps at LG with Saffold AND Barret Jones on the sidelines. With Person back at LT

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I am beginning to get worried about Armstrong. It seems he is mentioned in every report, but not for his playing ability.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
"will say I loved Gilbert before the draft and love him even more at watching him at camp...looks like a solid late1/2nd rd pick from practice..right now a steal...raw but really flashes..made a great sidearm throw to get around a pass rusher today, moves very well in the pocket and is making better decisions with the ball and making solid throws in tight windows..."
I saw Gilbert in that Bowl game for Texas and thought he had a bunch of talent then. Bunch of Texas kids can really throw the rock. Happy he's getting a good opportunity. I have 0 faith in Hill at this point...

FRO

Legend
Daniels,,, and that's saying alot for me, cuz i am not a huge Matt Daniels fan. But he has worked his way on to many of the ST, where Reid is no where to be found on any of them. But I also find it telling that Matt Daniels is still noticeably behind Alexander on the depth chart at the SS spot.
So you would keep 5 safeties I take it? I think I'm in the camp of keeping the extra CB. I'm not sure who the 6th guy is though. Also, hasn't Reid gotten work in the return game?

FRO

Legend
I wouldn't go as far as to say he looks like a second or first rounder, but he looks much better than Davis. He has some upside.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
So you would keep 5 safeties I take it? I think I'm in the camp of keeping the extra CB. I'm not sure who the 6th guy is though. Also, hasn't Reid gotten work in the return game?

They have done virtually nothing in the Punt return game, and he is not in the top 3 when they have worked on the KO return.

Ideally they keep a 6th CB. But to be honest, so far there isn't one on the roster worth considering. Not Woodard, not Roberson, not Reid. That leaves Jenkins, Johnson, Joyner, Gaines and McGee.

If they get in a pinch, McLeod CAN slide into the Nickel. So for me, I would rather they keep the 10 best DBs and Daniels is certainly a better choice than the aforementioned CBs IMO.

FRO

Legend
They have done virtually nothing in the Punt return game, and he is not in the top 3 when they have worked on the KO return.

Ideally they keep a 6th CB. But to be honest, so far there isn't one on the roster worth considering. Not Woodard, not Roberson, not Reid. That leaves Jenkins, Johnson, Joyner, Gaines and McGee.

If they get in a pinch, McLeod CAN slide into the Nickel. So for me, I would rather they keep the 10 best DBs and Daniels is certainly a better choice than the aforementioned CBs IMO.
I actually like Daniels, I just don't know what he is after 2 major injuries. I was hoping Reid or Roberson would have stepped up. Joyner can fill in at S when needed just as Joyner can fill a CB position if needed, but I agree keep the 10 best DBs. If that's 5 safeties and 5 CBs then so be it.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
How about we let these kids play in some games and get some more practices in with pads before we start writing them off? Heaven forbid the kid that hasn't played in two years has some rust to knock off.

FRO

Legend
How about we let these kids play in some games and get some more practices in with pads before we start writing them off? Heaven forbid the kid that hasn't played in two years has some rust to knock off.
I don't think anybody has written anybody off.

CoachO

Hall of Fame

AS a developmental guy, I am. He has a lot to like about him. Hammer and I were having this conversation today, in fact, and I think I said that I think Gilbert got lost in the shuffle with all the love being shown the SEC QBs. And playing for June Jones is a definite plus to me in his development.

When comparing his skill set to the likes of McCarron, Murray, Conner Shaw, and even to a point Mettenberger, I like Gilbert. He may just end up being the best of them all.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Thanks Coach for the excellent reports, I had written a bunch but forgot to hit post. I see a bunch has already been answered. Here goes, Did Reid look decent, read they threw about 7 passes his way and caught 5. He had the one pick. Was he getting used and abused out there? Did Roberson do anything? Read McLeod was meeting Stacy a few times, what was the result, and your impression? Who was bringing it for the RB's? How about the backers besides Dunbar? I read Williams yelled at Mo Alexander, "I see you finally showed up" or something like that. Was Mo trying to bring some pain? I saw you mentioned Cody Davis, coverage in zone was tight or was it man?
Lets go back to Bond, any way he doesn't make the roster? Hooey, Van Dyk, and edit:(Pierson)? They're better than Bond & Washington? Is there any chance B. Jones gets cut? Hey Coach, thanks for this your impressions of camp are a joy...NFLN has nothing on you....