Camp Report 8/4/14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
How about we let these kids play in some games and get some more practices in with pads before we start writing them off? Heaven forbid the kid that hasn't played in two years has some rust to knock off.

He asked me a question, and I am just giving my opinion based on what I HAVE SEEN his role being thus far. And yes, I know he hasn't played for two years, but how does that help his case? He just hasn't performed on the field to this point in training camp.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Nice report O ,must be some difference in Britt and Ray when it comes to talkin smack

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
He asked me a question, and I am just giving my opinion based on what I HAVE SEEN his role being thus far. And yes, I know he hasn't played for two years, but how does that help his case? He just hasn't performed on the field to this point in training camp.

I don't mean to sound like a grump. I think I have a soft spot for these UDFA guys. Comes with the territory of routing for the underdogs for so many years.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Thanks Coach for the excellent reports, I had written a bunch but forgot to hit post. I see a bunch has already been answered. Here goes, Did Reid look decent, read they threw about 7 passes his way and caught 5. He had the one pick. Was he getting used and abused out there? Did Roberson do anything? Read McLeod was meeting Stacy a few times, what was the result, and your impression? Who was bringing it for the RB's? How about the backers besides Dunbar? I read Williams yelled at Mo Alexander, "I see you finally showed up" or something like that. Was Mo trying to bring some pain? I saw you mentioned Cody Davis, coverage in zone was tight or was it man?
Lets go back to Bond, any way he doesn't make the roster? Hooey, Van Dyk, and what's the other OT's name? They're better than Bond & Washington? Is there any chance B. Jones gets cut? Hey Coach, thanks for this your impressions of camp are a joy...NFLN has nothing on you....

It has been mentioned that Reid was physical on a couple of plays where he came up and put a shot on the receiver. It must also be noted BOTH of those plays were in 7 on 7, and he closed on the receiver (one was J. Cunningham) and the other was Harkey on passes to the flat. He knocked an unsuspecting Cunningham to the ground, and barely phased Harkey.

On the INT, he jumped an out route vs. the 10th WR on the depth chart. Thrown by the rookie QB. Again, guys, a little perspective here is needed.

Right now, Roberson would be classified as the "last man up" on the CB depth chart. He has shown to have better than average cover skills, but ZERO interest in tackling anything bigger than a tackling pad. That he is no where to be found on a single Special Team, speaks volumes about his chance to stick as a potential 6th CB.

Stacy had his best day, running hard, and making that decisive cut that he is known for. Bennie Cunningham might be the most improved overall. He is leaner, and in much better shape, and has been maybe the most physical of the RBs.

Bond is defniitely more involved than Washington, who has not practiced now for almost a week. Just a hunch, but I think his days may be numbered. Bond got some early work at OT, but nothing since they settled on him at RG. Hooey, Person and Van Dyk all have their moments, but have been inconsistent. I think right now, they seem to be more impressed with Hooey at a Tackle, but he has been kept at RT primarily. Person has moved all over the place, so his versatility may be the deciding factor.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I don't mean to sound like a grump. I think I have a soft spot for these UDFA guys. Comes with the territory of routing for the underdogs for so many years.
I get that, but with this roster, after all the upgrades over the past two years, this crop of UDFA are going to have a very hard time sticking. Which says it all about where this team has come from and where it is now.

PolarBear

Rookie
Coach0, what have you thought of Jones so far? Hammer seems to have written him as a bust already and I would have to agree. I seriously doubt he will be a survivable starter In the future.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
CoachO, I asked this in another thread, but I know everyone reads your threads...A lot of talk about Bradford, all the time, lol. In your opinion, as someone who has been to multiple camps with him, how does he look compared to previous years in camp, even though he had the knee surgery, and I wouldn't expect him to be 100%, but with this offense, and the developing tools, etc, I would expect him to loo pretty good. What is your take on both counts? Thank you.

And this is an open question to anybody else who has seen Bradford in multiple, if not, all camps. I trust your guys opinions more than the mass media.

And as a comment...can't wait to do a breakdown of the OL, and you, and other's have me pumped up about Travis Bond.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thanks CoachO....I am concerned with the trash talking. Last year, seeing Jenkins and others trash talking, and then not backing the talk up (getting torched for TD's..Steve Smith, for instance), is embarrassing. I think folks aught to kick @ss first, and talk afterwards...not the other way around..

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Coach0, what have you thought of Jones so far? Hammer seems to have written him as a bust already and I would have to agree. I seriously doubt he will be a survivable starter In the future.

I have never expected him to be the savior that many thought he would be. Can he still be a factor? Not if he isn't on the field. Have no idea what is up with him not being around since last week. I mean, he isn't even on the sidelines.

The guy was very good on a very good line at Alabama. But the question begs to be asked, how much of that is the program, and how much is the players? Not exactly a long line of great O-linemen among the NFL ranks.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
CoachO, I asked this in another thread, but I know everyone reads your threads...A lot of talk about Bradford, all the time, lol. In your opinion, as someone who has been to multiple camps with him, how does he look compared to previous years in camp, even though he had the knee surgery, and I wouldn't expect him to be 100%, but with this offense, and the developing tools, etc, I would expect him to loo pretty good. What is your take on both counts? Thank you.

And this is an open question to anybody else who has seen Bradford in multiple, if not, all camps. I trust your guys opinions more than the mass media.

And as a comment...can't wait to do a breakdown of the OL, and you, and other's have me pumped up about Travis Bond.

I think he looks better this year. It has been reported more than once that he is bigger, and stronger due to his working out and being forced to work on his upper body. He has plenty of zip on his throws, and seems to be very confident in making throws he seemed hesitant to make in the past. Also, he is showing much more confidence in guys like Quick and Bailey. In previous camps, he only looked at Quick as a last resort. Now he is often his first option. They have been on the same page on a few "Sight adjustments" which was unheard of before now.

Unless there is a major setback, I expect him to be as close to 100% come Sept 7th.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Thanks CoachO....I am concerned with the trash talking. Last year, seeing Jenkins and others trash talking, and then not backing the talk up (getting torched for TD's..Steve Smith, for instance), is embarrassing. I think folks aught to kick @ss first, and talk afterwards...not the other way around..

You are preaching to the choir there. I have never been a fan of the trash talking. My boyhood idol was Roger Wehrli, who never said a word. He just lined up and knew he was better than you. And better yet, YOU knew he was too.

I don't mind a quick witted comment every now and then, but these guys seem to think it somehow adds something to their game, when like you said, more often than not it just sets you up to fail and then be embarrassed on top of it.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Thanks Again Coach, I am really interested to see what happens with all the DB's and how the final roster shakes out for the Secondary. I really like Christian Bryant but he is behind due to Injury. I thought he looked good at Ohio State before a season ending injury. I hope he plays some ST so he has a chance to stick.

Athos

Legend
No mention of Givens again? Nothing to warrant discussion on?

How did the backs look?

Have they tried Gaines covering outside?

Is Sam still flashing things to make the team?

fearsomefour

Legend
Great report as always Coach O.
Good update on Bond and Bates.
Having some improved depth at MLB behind JL would be great.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
No mention of Givens again? Nothing to warrant discussion on?

How did the backs look?

Have they tried Gaines covering outside?

Is Sam still flashing things to make the team?

No mention of Givens because there isn't much to mention.

I think Stacy has is best day. They focused more on the running game today, and he benefited from it. Some nice one cut decisive runs. Cunningham looks to be much better this year. He looks leaner, but stronger. Mason still has much to prove. His quick feet are evident, but he still is "jumpy" in the backfield, and isn't hitting hole the way he needs to. He shows a nice burst getting to the edge, but right now, is behind Stacy, Cunningham and even Pead on the depth chart, and its about right where he should be. (for now).

Michael Sam has leveled off some, but he won't embarrass himself if he makes this team. And it appears he will be given every chance to do just that. He has a role a Special Teams, whereas Westbrooks hasn't shown up on any so far.

I know I spend a lot of time talking about Special Teams with guys like this, but to me, its a very good way of seeing how the depth guys are looked upon by this coaching staff. If they are gonna make the team as the 5th or 6th CB, 6th LB, or in Sam's case, 9th DL, it will be BECAUSE of ST. The who aren't showing up on these units by now, will have a long road to hoe in the next 4 weeks to make this roster.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I think he looks better this year. It has been reported more than once that he is bigger, and stronger due to his working out and being forced to work on his upper body. He has plenty of zip on his throws, and seems to be very confident in making throws he seemed hesitant to make in the past. Also, he is showing much more confidence in guys like Quick and Bailey. In previous camps, he only looked at Quick as a last resort. Now he is often his first option. They have been on the same page on a few "Sight adjustments" which was unheard of before now.

Unless there is a major setback, I expect him to be as close to 100% come Sept 7th.
Perfect. Thanks.

Rambition

Rookie
AS a developmental guy, I am. He has a lot to like about him. Hammer and I were having this conversation today, in fact, and I think I said that I think Gilbert got lost in the shuffle with all the love being shown the SEC QBs. And playing for June Jones is a definite plus to me in his development.

When comparing his skill set to the likes of McCarron, Murray, Conner Shaw, and even to a point Mettenberger, I like Gilbert. He may just end up being the best of them all.
interesting to hear you say that. and thanks for the report.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Wow coach. Just thanks for sharing your camp observations as well as answering questions.

I look forward to these threads.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Thanks Again Coach, I am really interested to see what happens with all the DB's and how the final roster shakes out for the Secondary. I really like Christian Bryant but he is behind due to Injury. I thought he looked good at Ohio State before a season ending injury. I hope he plays some ST so he has a chance to stick.
I'm curious to know about Christian Bryant as well. Maybe I'm dreaming but for some reason I thought he actually participated in some form of practice yesterday.