Camp Report 8/20/14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you!!! I've been saying he needs to run crossing routes behind the LBs for a while.

Also, how has our screen execution been in practice? We've done a poor job of executing these in the past.
they have worked on the screen game earlier this week, both with the RB's, and WR's. Part of the problem with running screens, is again, the types of defenses they face. Since most teams tend to play zone against us, screens just aren't gong to be effective. Conversely, with the Rams focus on applying pressure on QBs, they tend to run themselves out of plays, and are VERY susceptible to screens.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'd like to see more routes down the field, whether its a 10 yard corner route from the slot or if it's 13 yard dig from the X Slot. Move him around to other spots besides the formations, and send him deeper than 3 yards. ATLEAST give him a route that puts him behind the LB's if he's going to do a crosser.

More creative play calling - look at the eagles screens tonight. How many times did they get the defense flowing one way and sneak a screen back in the other way? haven't seen that in st.louis since steven jackson did it vs Jacksonville several years ago.

Another example - The Niners loved running a certain screen play to crabtree, particularly on 3rd down or in the red zone.He'd run a hard slant to the inside while the other receivers and tight ends set up for the clock.

Like I said, I think they lack creativity.

Kinda what I said they are able to do, (crossing routes BEHIND the LBs) based on play action, and having teams focus attention of Britt and Quick, something they didn't have last year. Having Austin running intermediate dig routes between the safeties is a recipe for disaster, IMO. So I disagree with that.

AS far as the screen game, i just mentioned it in my previous post, why I believe they aren't effective. Everything you have mentioned in your frustration, is all predicated on the coverage they get. The 49ers running a WR screen to Crabtree is dependent on getting them in the right coverage. Teams just aren't going to let the Rams exploit them by playing primarily man coverage. Even Seattle, for all the Legion of Doom crap, play predominantly ZONE. so screens aren't gonna be nearly as successful.

You seem to be under the impression they never call these types of routes. But again, when they get to the LOS, and they get their presnap reads on coverage, it will dictate the adjustments in the routes.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Hey X I liked your posts on the Brown's message boards.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
We need some screen hot routes with a couple OL, and outlets. Several...obviously.