Camp Report 8/20/14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Why would you hope Long is still out?

I'm assuming Long isn't going to play because they're being cautious with him. I'm hoping that's why our #2 overall pick is practicing on the second unit rather than Davin Joseph.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Thanks for the reports all of training camp. I know myself and everyone else love them and appreciate it.

One questions for you and if you are to cover it in final report then no need to answer now.

How would you rank this years training camp compared to the two previous years? In terms of talent, depth, preparedness, comfort or discomfort, etc.

Thanks again for all the great work this year.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
CoachO...You know it's your fault that I left RamStalk mostly for good? lol.....I appreciate the work you put into these reports, and feel that even Jim thomas doesn't contribute nearly as much as you do. I don't always agree with you, but respect your POV.
Thanks again.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm assuming Long isn't going to play because they're being cautious with him. I'm hoping that's why our #2 overall pick is practicing on the second unit rather than Davin Joseph.
They have said all along that Long is on schedule and the plan is for him to play this week.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Thanks Coach, not being in STL and not being able to hear local coverage I can't tell you how much I appreciate reading your reports!

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Great stuff Coach. I look forward to your final camp assessment!!

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
Coach O, thanks again for all your camp reports. It is the first thing I look for when I visit the forum.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Coach, just wanted to take a moment and say thanks for all of these great reports. Being 5 hours away it's really hard to break away and check things out for myself. But then I get these great synopsis of all of the practices and it's much easier to handle knowing someone who understands what is going on, is giving you the inside scoop to things. And you don't mind being patient and answering questions as well. But here's to you my friend.....:cheers:

paceram

Pro Bowler
I would say there are a couple of surprises. On both ends of the spectrum.

On the positive side, one of my biggest surprises is just how good Bradford has looked. The velocity on some of the throws is noticeably better. He is fitting throws into tight windows consistently. Obviously, the combination of Quick and Britt, and how well they have looked has been a big surprise.

On the other end, Givens has been a huge disappointment. I have never been a big fan, but he just looks disinterested, and almost defeated. He contributes next to nothing in practice, and other than a few days two weeks ago, he looks no where near the guy they drafted. The other, again, not a huge fan (obvious to anyone who has read anything I have posted before) but with all the hype and chatter about how Armstrong was poised to step in and "take reps from Dunbar", he has been given every opportunity, and has not shown much at all. In fact, I now hear how "we need to be patient" "he is still earning a new position", "he missed the last year of school" and "at least he still is a value because of his Special Teams play."

That is definitely disappointing news about both Givens and Armstrong! I am assuming Armstrong is safe for this season but he will probably need to show so some improvement for next season but do you think Givens could be in trouble in making the Rams final roster this season? Seems like the Rams have a few young WR's that could take his roster spot if he is not careful. I was one of those Rams Fans that really thought Armstrong had a lot of potential and would be a great backup and eventual replacement for Dunbar in the near future (Hopefully, he will get better SOON!). As always - Thanks for your great reports/updates! It is greatly appreciated!

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
@CoachO, could you tell how Robinson seemed to respond to being bumped to second team? Did you get a feel for whether this is a "shot in the arm" or whether he really is the 6th man at this point? Not trying to read too much into it - but it's hard not to ....

jap

Legend
They have said all along that Long is on schedule and the plan is for him to play this week.

Big Bad Jake himself expressed his desire to get in some work in at least two pre-season games over a month ago.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Thanks coach,things never worked out for me to make it and meet you,wish I had ,but you made it close to being there for us(y)

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
No mention of K. Jones, I'm assuming he's still injured and didn't participate?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
@CoachO, could you tell how Robinson seemed to respond to being bumped to second team? Did you get a feel for whether this is a "shot in the arm" or whether he really is the 6th man at this point? Not trying to read too much into it - but it's hard not to ....
Not really reading much into it. I guess it may be nothing more than them getting Saffold back in the fold. It could also be an indication that Long may only get a series or two on Saturday, and they plan on bumping Robinson out to LT, and let Saffold get reps at both RG & LG.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
No mention of K. Jones, I'm assuming he's still injured and didn't participate?
He has been dressed and participated in the RB drills, no team stuff. Not much to report other than that.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Robinson with the 2s? o_O

CoachO Thanks

Was Robinson working @ OLT & OLG or just OLG or just OLT with the 2's? From the other reports it was mentioned that GR was still working both left side posts.

Or was Mike Person working with the 2's @ OLT?

With Jake Long finally returning to starting action to the OLT post with the 1's, then the top 2 of the 3 OL'ers that have been working the OLT post till now, will also get major work @ OLT too. Now with the return of the other main starter OG Rodger Saffold working @ OLG eases up some on the pressure on left side OL'er Robinson (OLG/OLT) & left side OL'er Person (OLT/OLG). Both GR & MP now will get some extensive work in the late second quarter & half. This younger duo GR/MP most likely continue with each of them getting action @ both posts. We also might see that MP get his first pre season work @ ORT too.

Is the left side work by Saffold @ OLG all that surprising? it will be a bit interesting to observe what it means to GR & MP remains to be seen. I said it before I still maintain that Saffold is the perfect OLG IMO. Could also mean that ORG Davin Joseph is slowing coming around making progress in Boudreau eyes. (even though I have not been that impressed by his play) It could be too that Boudreau may want to get DJ as much action as possible. With Saffold being @ OLG will sure give DJ & Boudreau a first time pre season game action look with having Long, Saffold, Wells & Barksdale together.....I would want to see that too.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Thank you for all of your reports this camp! Its a bit cincerning that they put safgold at lg and bumped robinson down, I dont think that joseph has been great run blocking in the two games. Are they saying that that is their best 5? Its good to hear that the injured guys are getting back in there.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
That is definitely disappointing news about both Givens and Armstrong! I am assuming Armstrong is safe for this season but he will probably need to show so some improvement for next season but do you think Givens could be in trouble in making the Rams final roster this season? Seems like the Rams have a few young WR's that could take his roster spot if he is not careful. I was one of those Rams Fans that really thought Armstrong had a lot of potential and would be a great backup and eventual replacement for Dunbar in the near future (Hopefully, he will get better SOON!). As always - Thanks for your great reports/updates! It is greatly appreciated!
I don't think Givens in any jeopardy to lose his roster spot. With Pead's injury, I think he is the default KR. But there is no mistaking his role has changed dramatically in the WR rotation.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
CoachO Thanks was Robinson working @ OLT & OLG or just OLG or just OLT with the 2's? From the other reports it was mentioned that GR was still working both left side posts.

Or was Mike Person working with the 2's @ OLT?

With Jake Long finally returning to starting action to the OLT post with the 1's, then the top 2 of the 3 OL'ers that have been working the OLT post till now, will also get major work @ OLT too. Now with the return of the other main starter OG Rodger Saffold working @ OLG eases up some on the pressure on left side OL'er Robinson (OLG/OLT) & left side OL'er Person (OLT/OLG). Both GR & MP now will get some extensive work in the late second quarter & half. This younger duo GR/MP most likely continue with each of them getting action @ both posts. We also might see that MP get his first pre season work @ ORT too.

Is the left side work by Saffold @ OLG all that surprising? it will be a bit interesting to observe what it means to GR & MP remains to be seen. I said it before I still maintain that Saffold is the perfect OLG IMO. Could also mean that ORG Davin Joseph is slowing coming around making progress in Boudreau eyes. (even though I have not been that impressed by his play) It could be too that Boudreau may want to get DJ as much action as possible & Saffold being @ OLG will sure give DJ & Boudreau a first time pre season game action look with having Long, Saffold, Wells & Barksdale together.....I would want to see that too.

Ironically, the 2nd unit LT spot has been manned by Brandon Washington the past two practices. Now that could simply be a coincidence, in that Person has had both days off.

So the 2nd unit YESTERDAY was: LT - Washington LG - Robinson C - Barnes RG - Bond RT - Hooey Not that I want to see this unit for any long stretches, but suddenly, that looks like a pretty decent backup unit. No issues with the Guards getting over matched. I also would envision Person would still be considered the first option at LT.

This just reiterates my point, that having just one or two guys back in the mix, can have a trickle down effect on each of the units. And the concerns about depth aren't as warranted.