Camp Report 8/20/14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You think one of the UDFA WRs makes the team? If so, which? Not the one you want, but the one who'd make the team?

With Pead to IR, do we keep another RB in his place or does his roster spot go somewhere else on the team?

How's Donald been lately?
They are not likely to keep an extra RB in Pead's absence. That spot will go to another position, most likely and extra DB, or OL.

I think its highly unlikely that any of the UDFA WRs stick, but if there is one it would be Emory Blake.

Donald seems to have leveled off some in the past week. They are getting to that part of the preseason where fatigue is setting in, and the dreaded "camp legs" are becoming a factor. Donald and Michael Sam have taken many more reps respectively, compared to most of the other D-linemen. I think its starting to show.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
He has been dressed and participated in the RB drills, no team stuff. Not much to report other than that.
On the one photo it looked like he put TJ McDonald on his azz !!

What about #54 Steward ? He seems to be showing up of late.

Person has been sitting out,so yes Saffold might get reps.I know Fisher is big on taking mental Reps as well.He says G.Robo is going to start at LG & then move to LT later in the game.--Saffold is really biting the bullet.I would not want to be the guy going against him on Saturday.

I was wondering about this #10 Jordan Harris guy ? I also saw Givens taking a KR last game.Does he step up with Pead hurt ? I like Cunningham best,but he has been a good blocker.Bennie is a special player.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
On the one photo it looked like he put TJ McDonald on his azz !!

What about #54 Steward ? He seems to be showing up of late.

Person has been sitting out,so yes Saffold might get reps.I know Fisher is big on taking mental Reps as well.He says G.Robo is going to start at LG & then move to LT later in the game.--Saffold is really biting the bullet.I would not want to be the guy going against him on Saturday.

I was wondering about this #10 Jordan Harris guy ? I also saw Givens taking a KR last game.Does he step up with Pead hurt ? I like Cunningham best,but he has been a good blocker.Bennie is a special player.

I missed the rep with Kadeem and McDonald, There were 7 o 7 stuff going on at the other end of the field, and i was trying to watch both drills. Missed some of the matchups.

Steward looks like someone they seem to like. He has been a constant with the 2nd unit defense since the first day of camp. He also shows up on Special Teams. At this point, barring them adding a LB after cuts are made, he looks like his will be among the 53.

Jordan Harris has had his moments. But they are few and far between. He is just too far down the depth chart to have nay real chance.

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
Thanks coach, looked forward to the reports, it was like i was there !

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
They are not likely to keep an extra RB in Pead's absence. That spot will go to another position, most likely and extra DB, or OL.

I think its highly unlikely that any of the UDFA WRs stick, but if there is one it would be Emory Blake.

Donald seems to have leveled off some in the past week. They are getting to that part of the preseason where fatigue is setting in, and the dreaded "camp legs" are becoming a factor. Donald and Michael Sam have taken many more reps respectively, compared to most of the other D-linemen. I think its starting to show.

Coach do you think before pead got hurt that he and Chase Rynolds both were going to make the roster? Just curious I didnt think they would keep 5 running backs. If they were only gonna keep 4 then this really doesnt open up a spot it just lets Rynolds stay on the team.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Coach do you think before pead got hurt that he and Chase Rynolds both were going to make the roster? Just curious I didnt think they would keep 5 running backs. If they were only gonna keep 4 then this really doesnt open up a spot it just lets Rynolds stay on the team.
I absolutely think they both would have made it. They kept 5 last year if you consider Reynolds a RB, which I don't necessarily. In much the same way Dominique Curry was kept in previous years as a Special Teams player, I see Reynolds being that guy. Pead would have likely made the team for both roles.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I absolutely think they both would have made it. They kept 5 last year if you consider Reynolds a RB, which I don't necessarily. In much the same way Dominique Curry was kept in previous years as a Special Teams player, I see Reynolds being that guy. Pead would have likely made the team for both roles.

I forgot Richardson somehow managed to stay on the roster all year even though after the first few games I dont know that he was ever on the active 46 the rest of the season.

iced

Actually, it's a win win scenario for me, if guys like Quick, Britt, Cook, Bailey are all becoming big enough threats to dictate serious attention from opposing defenses. All that can do is make Austin more dangerous, even if it is with these same crossing routes.

Let me ask you this.... how would YOU expect them to use him? What route tree do you think they should incorporate into his game? and let's not forget, he's 5'8 and 175 lbs.

I would use a lot more than two or 3 routes, especially intermediate and occasionally deep. The Bubble and WR screens will never work if all he runs are short or crossing routes.

Tavon is not being used right, imo.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I would use a lot more than two or 3 routes, especially intermediate and occasionally deep. The Bubble and WR screens will never work if all he runs are short or crossing routes.

Tavon is not being used right, imo.
I think if you look at last year & from some of Coach O's report from camp report.Tavon is going to be a huge part of 3rd down & red zone packages.
I won't say your wrong,but I think they are not showing you a lot from a game playing side of his use. He also took awhile to get up to speed.When he was finally getting it he got hurt.
I Tavon got Hurt in a special teams play.I know it was on a weird type (shoestring) tackle. How would

T.Austins numbers looked ? If
1. Lights went off day 2
2.If penalties don't negate all his big TD plays.
3.If he was healthy the last 4 games.

I think will see a lot better numbers this year just by another year under his belt.Super Star numbers & worthy of trading up to the #8 pick ? Don't think so.Just my opinion.

iced

I think if you look at last year & from some of Coach O's report from camp report.Tavon is going to be a huge part of 3rd down & red zone packages.
I won't say your wrong,but I think they are not showing you a lot from a game playing side of his use. He also took awhile to get up to speed.When he was finally getting it he got hurt.
I Tavon got Hurt in a special teams play.I know it was on a weird type (shoestring) tackle. How would

T.Austins numbers looked ? If
1. Lights went off day 2
2.If penalties don't negate all his big TD plays.
3.If he was healthy the last 4 games.

I think will see a lot better numbers this year just by another year under his belt.Super Star numbers & worthy of trading up to the #8 pick ? Don't think so.Just my opinion.

I think Austin is a helluva weapon - and like most people, have not been pleased with use of him. I hope to see improvement, but hearing about mostly crossing routes with an occasional wheel route does not inspire much confidence as far as creativity goes. we'll see if schotty does some more saturday

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think Austin is a helluva weapon - and like most people, have not been pleased with use of him. I hope to see improvement, but hearing about mostly crossing routes with an occasional wheel route does not inspire much confidence as far as creativity goes. we'll see if schotty does some more saturday
I wouldn't expect to see a whole lot of creativity in preseason. And I don't think 'creativity' is the issue. There are ways to spring him open without being creative about it. Simple execution on a rub or pick would be fine. A good spring block on a bubble screen would work. Motioning him when a defense is in man coverage would get it done. Letting him beat man coverage on a deep post or 9 route would suffice. It doesn't have to be magic or super innovative. Just solid execution should do the trick. Of course people tend to forget about plays like this, presumably because they were too few and far between (#1 run on the video).

iced

I wouldn't expect to see a whole lot of creativity in preseason

i probably should have said used him more than just 2 or 3 routes, and deeper down the field

CoachO

Hall of Fame

They have used him on seam routes, and occasionally on a deep post. The problem quite honestly, he just isn't big enough to go up for contested balls in the middle of the field. He can run a deep corner route, but again, unless he beats guys of the LOS, he isn't gonna get behind guys by just out running them Instead of putting the blame on the Offensive Coordinator, why not pause for a second and look objectively at the WR you seem to think they don't know how to use.

He is best utilized on crossing routes, matched up against Nickel CBs or safeties. The biggest change that needs to take place, is him being able to get some depth on those same routes and running them BEHIND the LB's instead of in front of them. This is where having viable threats on the outside, AND a legitimate running game to exploit play action will give him the space he needs.

If he is able to line up outside, and he will be used there on occasion, he can run the sideline fade, or the "9" route as he did in the Carolina and Indy games. But to arbitrarily make a general statement that you don't think they know how to use him is vague, and inaccurate, IMO.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I wouldn't expect to see a whole lot of creativity in preseason. And I don't think 'creativity' is the issue. There are ways to spring him open without being creative about it. Simple execution on a rub or pick would be fine. A good spring block on a bubble screen would work. Motioning him when a defense is in man coverage would get it done. Letting him beat man coverage on a deep post or 9 route would suffice. It doesn't have to be magic or super innovative. Just solid execution should do the trick. Of course people tend to forget about plays like this, presumably because they were too few and far between (#1 run on the video).

I agree with this in principle, but how often do you seem teams play straight man against us? Indy tried it, and you saw the results. The problem is, teams play primarily zone or some sort of combination coverages (man - 2) and always have a safety deep. Austin just isn't going to get many opportunities to beat teams on deep post routes. And when they do choose to run him on one of those, even in practice, he seldom wins any contested balls, because of his lack of size.

Between Quick and Britt, they have much better options running those routes, which in turn opens up the underneath routes, and creates the space Austin needs to work his magic.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I agree with this in principle, but how often do you seem teams play straight man against us? Indy tried it, and you saw the results. The problem is, teams play primarily zone or some sort of combination coverages (man - 2) and always have a safety deep. Austin just isn't going to get many opportunities to beat teams on deep post routes. And when they do choose to run him on one of those, even in practice, he seldom wins any contested balls, because of his lack of size.

Between Quick and Britt, they have much better options running those routes, which in turn opens up the underneath routes, and creates the space Austin needs to work his magic.
I agree. That's why I said *when* teams play man coverage. But a lot of teams mix man coverage in during certain situations. Which, obviously, is why QBs put a man in motion to see how the defense reacts.

iced

If he is able to line up outside, and he will be used there on occasion, he can run the sideline fade, or the "9" route as he did in the Carolina and Indy games. But to arbitrarily make a general statement that you don't think they know how to use him is vague, and inaccurate, IMO.

I don't think schotty has been creative enough with austin - and i think you're one of the very few who would disagree otherwise. To each his own.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I don't think schotty has been creative enough with austin - and i think you're one of the very few who would disagree otherwise. To each his own.
You keep saying you dont think he has been used correctly ....so tell us how or what you would do different..... give some tangible examples of how YOU think he should be used

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
They have used him on seam routes, and occasionally on a deep post. The problem quite honestly, he just isn't big enough to go up for contested balls in the middle of the field. He can run a deep corner route, but again, unless he beats guys of the LOS, he isn't gonna get behind guys by just out running them Instead of putting the blame on the Offensive Coordinator, why not pause for a second and look objectively at the WR you seem to think they don't know how to use.

He is best utilized on crossing routes, matched up against Nickel CBs or safeties. The biggest change that needs to take place, is him being able to get some depth on those same routes and running them BEHIND the LB's instead of in front of them. This is where having viable threats on the outside, AND a legitimate running game to exploit play action will give him the space he needs.

Thank you!!! I've been saying he needs to run crossing routes behind the LBs for a while.

Also, how has our screen execution been in practice? We've done a poor job of executing these in the past.

iced

You keep saying you dont think he has been used correctly ....so tell us how or what you would do different..... give some tangible examples of how YOU think he should be used

I'd like to see more routes down the field, whether its a 10 yard corner route from the slot or if it's 13 yard dig from the X Slot. Move him around to other spots besides the formations, and send him deeper than 3 yards. ATLEAST give him a route that puts him behind the LB's if he's going to do a crosser.

More creative play calling - look at the eagles screens tonight. How many times did they get the defense flowing one way and sneak a screen back in the other way? haven't seen that in st.louis since steven jackson did it vs Jacksonville several years ago.

Another example - The Niners loved running a certain screen play to crabtree, particularly on 3rd down or in the red zone.He'd run a hard slant to the inside while the other receivers and tight ends set up for the clock.

Like I said, I think they lack creativity.