Camp Report 8/20/14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Irish

Starter
If the season were to start today, Robinson would not be part of the five best players on the offensive line. Now, that can change in 2 weeks, or even 8 weeks and he could start later in the year, but this team needs to start fast if they have any chance of making the playoffs, and Robinson just hasn't looked the part YET.

Long-Saffold-Wells-Joseph-Barksdale is a unit that can win football games NOW. That is the only thing that matters. I am really pulling for Robinson, especially because of the scrutiny his selection is going to get because of the other players Rams fans wanted at his spot, namely Watkins, and I don't see any reason why the Rams need to justify his pick by playing him before he is ready. Let him develop under the tutelage of a superior O line coach in Boudreau and, once he is up to speed, plug him in to start dominating.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I don't think I would give a roster spot to someone as a kick returner.

I'm not saying that's all Givens is - but to the extent that's where the discussion was going ....

How many kickoffs are actually returnable per game? Two at the most?

I have no problem with keeping our top 53 players even if it means taking the ball at the 20 every time.

Of course, a strong case could be made that Givens is one of our top 53.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
They have said all along that Long is on schedule and the plan is for him to play this week.

Didn't realize that. That can change though.

Even if he starts Jake might not see as much action as the rest of the ones. In that case you'd see Robinson jump back to LT with Saffold at LG.

Just spitballing. I'm just hoping that Robinson isn't riding the bench to start the season. I want to see what he and Saffold can do in the run game.

Thanks for the camp reports. I didn't get a chance to make it out to any of the sessions for the first tie in about 5 years unfortunately. If you're a beer drinker I owe you one next year.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't think I would give a roster spot to someone as a kick returner.

I'm not saying that's all Givens is - but to the extent that's where the discussion was going ....

How many kickoffs are actually returnable per game? Two at the most?

I have no problem with keeping our top 53 players even if it means taking the ball at the 20 every time.

Of course, a strong case could be made that Givens is one of our top 53.
Especially with the Bailey suspension, I doubt they are going to part ways with Givens. So yes, the KR role does in fact become a factor.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
CoachO - great report, as usual. If you could put a probability of Michael Sam making the roster, where would you put it? I haven't heard much lately and from your post regarding special teams, looks like he was on the 3rd unit... doesn't sound too promising.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
CoachO - great report, as usual. If you could put a probability of Michael Sam making the roster, where would you put it? I haven't heard much lately and from your post regarding special teams, looks like he was on the 3rd unit... doesn't sound too promising.
I would put it at 60/40 I do know they want to keep him on the roster. It just a matter of him giving them a reason. He has leveled off some in the past 10 days, but he still is showing up, and taking advantage of his pass rush opportunities. Like many other players at this point, he has two weeks, to show he deserves a spot.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I have no issues with Robinson @ first being a top reserve for the OLT/OLG posts when you have injury marred pasts of Saffold & Long.

Having Robinson who covers two vital posts as a major OL reserve does help Boudreau in another element of OL plans .....GR as a reserve is much better than having Joseph who just covers one post. This lineup would give Boudreau a full set of vets to help settle what has been a very shaky OL. I am sure that Long & Wells would love to have Saffold playing between them early since Wells & Long have not had much time to work with GR in between them @ all. Saffold fits like a glove in there @ OLG. Those three wise vets protecting his blind side is some big time protection! Sam Bradford would have a large amount of comfort in that!

It could be @ the end of pre season when roster cuts are so very critical, it may be vital that some other Ram units may need an extra roster spot due to many unknowns not known to us now. Cutting excellent young DL'ers like Westbrooks & Sam over so so OL'ers like Bond or Hooey will be hard to do. Boudreau may be asked to take a hit in his OL here & asked to go with just Nine or maybe even Eight OL'ers at first. The highly probable 4 reserves would be Robinson OLT/OLG, Person OLT/OLG/ORT/OC, Barnes OC/ORG/OLG & maybe Bond ORG. In an emergency Boudreau could go with just Person/Robinson & Barnes, wait for the other 31 teams OL'ers to clear waivers & then Snead & Fisher could see who out there for the pickings. A veteran release of a ORT/ORG who may fit better could clear wavers.

Based off of the last Ram two pre seasons the coverage of the OL posts by the 4 above named reserve OL'ers
2 reserves @ OLT
3 reserves @ OLG
2 reserves @ OC
2 reserves @ ORG
1 reserve @ ORT

Irish

Starter
I have no issues with Robinson @ first being a top reserve for the OLT/OLG posts when you have injury marred pasts of Saffold & Long.

Having Robinson who covers two vital posts as a major OL reserve does help Boudreau in another element of OL plans .....GR as a reserve is much better than having Joseph who just covers one post. This lineup would give Boudreau a full set of vets to help settle what has been a very shaky OL. I am sure that Long & Wells would love to have Saffold playing between them early since Wells & Long have not had much time to work with GR in between them @ all. Saffold fits like a glove in there @ OLG. Those three wise vets protecting his blind side is some big time protection! Sam Bradford would have a large amount of comfort in that!

It could be @ the end of pre season when roster cuts are so very critical, it may be vital that some other Ram units may need an extra roster spot due to many unknowns not known to us now. Cutting excellent young DL'ers like Westbrooks & Sam over so so OL'ers like Bond or Hooey will be hard to do. Boudreau may be asked to take a hit in his OL here & asked to go with just Nine or maybe even Eight OL'ers at first. The highly probable 4 reserves would be Robinson OLT/OLG, Person OLT/OLG/ORT/OC, Barnes OC/ORG/OLG & maybe Bond ORG. In an emergency Boudreau could go with just Person/Robinson & Barnes, wait for the other 31 teams OL'ers to clear waivers & then Snead & Fisher could see who out there for the pickings. A veteran release of a ORT/ORG who may fit better could clear wavers.

Based off of the last Ram two pre seasons the coverage of the OL posts by the 4 above named reserve OL'ers
2 reserves @ OLT
3 reserves @ OLG
2 reserves @ OC
2 reserves @ ORG
1 reserve @ ORT

This is exactly correct. Robinson has a huge amount of value in being a reserve, and doesn't get exposed too early in his career. Let him develop in practice, learn how to be a pro, and when his time comes this year (Saffold WILL get hurt, folks. We need to accept that) he will be that much more prepared. This isn't a knock on Robinson, or Fisher and Snead, or the draft pick, or anything of the sort; it is what is best for the Rams as a team.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
So is Mason's deal that he just doesn't know the intricacies of pass pro yet, or does he just not want any part of it?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
So is Mason's deal that he just doesn't know the intricacies of pass pro yet, or does he just not want any part of it?
both! Although I think at this point, its more about his lack of understanding his assignment, and a whole lot of technique issues.

Irish

Starter
both! Although I think at this point, its more about his lack of understanding his assignment, and a whole lot of technique issues.

Shoot, I wouldn't want to block Chris Long and Robert Quinn in practice, either!

Part of the game, though. Lots of RBs come into the league not willing/ready to pass block, but the good ones develop the ability. He just needs some time/confidence

Memphis Ram

Legend
Reading Wagoner's report, Saffold took reps at both LG & RG. Now if he's taking reps at LG and Long is at LT then obviously Robinson wouldn't be in. Methinks some might be making a mountain out of a mole hill.

images

Last edited:

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Reading Wagoner's report, Saffold took reps at both LG & RG. Now if he's taking reps at LG and Long is at LT then obviously Robinson wouldn't be in. Methinks some might be making a mountain out of a mole hill.
I can't imagine Robinson not starting. He's going to be a fun guy to watch. He'll have some hiccups but he's going to put the hurt on some guys. I think he was definitely the right pick at #2.

CoachO

Hall of Fame

images
While I agree with you that there's not much here long term, as far as Wagoner's observations about RG & LG, that was more in the unit drills and one on one stuff where guys all over the line were moving around. Such as Bond taking reps at RT. When it came to the team stuff, 11 on 11, Saffold was taking all his reps at LG, as was they case in all of the walk throughs in the warmups.

I don't think anyone can read too much into it, but it was worth pointing out.

iced

thanks for the comments.

When I use the term "whiffs", it usually mean that he most likely lunged at him, and missed completely. Which was the case with a couple of these guys.

Cody came up quickly after reading the route, and caught Quick in an awkward position, extended and reaching for a high throw. It was not meant to be a hard hit, just ill timed.

Honestly, Austin looks like the 3rd or 4th option on many of the routes he runs. Most are crossing routes, or an occasional wheel route up the sideline. They tried to run the toss/reverse they ran vs. Chicago, and it was sniffed out by Westbrooks who stayed at home, and was waiting for him when he reversed fields.

I have always paid close attention to the Special Teams, especially the 2nd units. They tend to be very fluid, based on who is not practicing, and who the coaches feel deserve an extra look. Fisher commented last week, that every position coach, breaks down the Special Team tapes, so they can see their position players and how they perform. So it's not just Coach Fassel when it comes to input on these teams.

They can be very telling as to the back end of the roster, and who is garnering a second look.

so schotty still hasn't figured out how to use austin....awesome

CoachO

Hall of Fame
so schotty still hasn't figured out how to use austin....awesome
why is that were you decide to go? Maybe its more a case of other guys being more prominent, and Austin's opportunities are going to come off of that. I will never understand why people keep thinking that ONE player has to be featured at the expense of the overall offensive scheme. They do NOT have a Calvin Johnson type player on this offense, and AUSTIN will never be that kind of receiver.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

images

Me thinks it worth taking about it Memphis I like get in the high weeds on some issues.....it is after all something a little surprise since most all have this long time Ram veteran Sharpie'd (not penciled) in as a starter @ ORG.

I sure like that CoachO brought that out myself & it was important to me. "Saffold was taking all his reps at LG, as was they case in all of the walk throughs in the warmups."

A molehill around mostly flat Memphis Tenn. could be rather large when compared to a molehills in other parts of Tenn lets say Gatlinburg :D

iced

why is that were you decide to go? Maybe its more a case of other guys being more prominent, and Austin's opportunities are going to come off of that. I will never understand why people keep thinking that ONE player has to be featured at the expense of the overall offensive scheme. They do NOT have a Calvin Johnson type player on this offense, and AUSTIN will never be that kind of receiver.

Not expecting him to be a Calvin Johnson - but mostly crossing/drag routes and an occasional deep route sounds just like last year to me...and while he may not be CJ, i would hope he's not the 4th option on a majority of plays

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Not expecting him to be a Calvin Johnson - but mostly crossing/drag routes and an occasional deep route sounds just like last year to me...and while he may not be CJ, i would hope he's not the 4th option on a majority of plays
Actually, it's a win win scenario for me, if guys like Quick, Britt, Cook, Bailey are all becoming big enough threats to dictate serious attention from opposing defenses. All that can do is make Austin more dangerous, even if it is with these same crossing routes.

Let me ask you this.... how would YOU expect them to use him? What route tree do you think they should incorporate into his game? and let's not forget, he's 5'8 and 175 lbs.

Athos

Legend
You think one of the UDFA WRs makes the team? If so, which? Not the one you want, but the one who'd make the team?

With Pead to IR, do we keep another RB in his place or does his roster spot go somewhere else on the team?

How's Donald been lately?