Brian Quick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HellRam

Starter
Both Jackson and Carter had 600+ yard seasons within their first three years. Now you can argue maybe Quick would have in 2014 had he not got injured. Maybe. In 2015 he was as bad as he was in 2012-2013 and he didn't look improved over the preseason either. How long do you wait on him? If he weren't the 33rd pick in the draft in 2012 he'd be out of the league. If the Rams cut him today I would be surprised if another team picked him up.

Chris Carter actually had 700 plus in his 2nd. Vincent Jackson had 400 plus in his 2nd season.

The comparisons with Quick don't match IMO, Quick doesn't progress. In 5 seasons he has a 2 game stretch were he had 7 receptions each, that was to start the 2014 season. The so called "breakout year"..he did not do much after those 2 games. I belive in 3 games before the injury Quick had 5 catches total in 3 games.

As for the argument about system's mentioned in a post above... mustering up 600 yards should not be difficult, regardless of the system you run.

Last edited:

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Quick is going to have a good year - if for no other reason than to make so many of you so wrong.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Except you conveniently forget the full year, might as well been a season and a half when he was recovering.

He might as well be considered a year 3 guy who is still on an up trending progression. Obviously the staff thinks he deserves to get a shot or they would not have given him a new contract.

I still don't see how that's any better. Almost no production going into what we'll call his 4th season and we're keeping him over a rookie because we're concerned the rookie might not produce.

I firmly believe in the superior wisdom of every coaching staff on the NFL over every person who isn't a coach, but we have to remember that they aren't machines or computers or Vulcans with cold, infallible logic. They're humans with mental blind spots, fear, pride, other emotions, and way too much information to process. I think they're doing a great job. But this one area, exclusively Brian Quick, I think the overwhelming likelihood is that they are wrong.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I still don't see how that's any better. Almost no production going into what we'll call his 4th season and we're keeping him over a rookie because we're concerned the rookie might not produce.

I firmly believe in the superior wisdom of every coaching staff on the NFL over every person who isn't a coach, but we have to remember that they aren't machines or computers or Vulcans with cold, infallible logic. They're humans with mental blind spots, fear, pride, other emotions, and way too much information to process. I think they're doing a great job. But this one area, exclusively Brian Quick, I think the overwhelming likelihood is that they are wrong.
He has an opportunity and I will be rooting for him to succeed on this team that does not mean 60 or 70 catches it probably doesn't even mean that many targets. He has never been the #1 guy on this roster, he isn't even the #2 option for WR. On this team, a team that is not going to throw more than 30-35 on a VERY busy day, he will be lucky to see a handful of games where he gets 5 targets. Expecting him to produce big numbers on this team is foolish, its not going to happen and it shouldn't.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I feel your dog @blackbart . I never stop wanting the people on the team to do well. It's just that if I think it won't happen and then it doesn't happen, I get angry. And I don't want to be angry anymore. I'd rather be happy or pleasantly surprised, or even mildly elated.

I also think that if we had a true dominant WR he would have better numbers than our best receiver now. They might be the only one with the numbers, but they would have the numbers. And more than that, more importantly than that, it would improve the team more. I hear (read?) people saying Quick is talented, he's one of the best on the team, his skill set can't be replaced, and so forth. I think that's completely unwarranted. So I think keeping a proven (sub-)JAG over a rookie who still might develop is a mistake. Just my humble philosophy.

I used to believe in Quick. I was thrilled in '14. But generally speaking, good players come back from injuries and continue to be good. Fluke players are never the same. Depending on the injury. Maybe his shoulder is inhibiting his ability to catch, like the Warner thumb thing and holding onto the ball. Maybe we can find a way to get it to work, but can't keep him for 6 more years trying to figure it out.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Britt and Tavon, not Quick. In fact I think Higbee and Spruce will both outplay Quick.
You may be right.
Not the point I was making with what you quoted.
Higbee is an apples and oranges comparison. It will be interesting to see who gets time as the season progresses.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Barring some excellent early season performances I believe Quick will be cut once Spruce or Cooper gets healthy.

Quick is due a bonus for every week he is on the active roster. If he doesn't perform well while the rookies are out doesn't make alot of sense to keep him on the roster and continue to pay that bonus.

RamWoodie

Legend
I like Quick and I want him to break out...BUT...here's the bottom line:

He best get going or he'll be gone before game 8!!! It's mental for Quick...and he needs to show he's conquered and now knows how to play! Drops don't bother me as much as a talented player that can't get it going.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He best get going or he'll be gone before game 8!!! It's mental for Quick
I'd say game 3...or whenever SPRUCE & Thomas wake up....but way b4 game 8....
Drops are caused by lack of concentration....He needs to be prepared to play as soon as he enters the game...get more engaged...sorta like Tavon...get talking...get confident...get a lil swag....this is an emotional game...You know why it's hard to stop a Dez Bryant? Guys supremely confident...you better believe that SPRUCE is too...so is Cooper...so is Britt....you need to play with confidence...and he's gotta be focused...all that, looking like a lost sheep when he's in the game needs to stop...scream a lil Quick...your career depends on it...

RamWoodie

Legend
I'd say game 3...or whenever SPRUCE & Thomas wake up....but way b4 game 8....
Drops are caused by lack of concentration....He needs to be prepared to play as soon as he enters the game...get more engaged...sorta like Tavon...get talking...get confident...get a lil swag....this is an emotional game...You know why it's hard to stop a Dez Bryant? Guys supremely confident...you better believe that SPRUCE is too...so is Cooper...so is Britt....you need to play with confidence...and he's gotta be focused...all that, looking like a lost sheep when he's in the game needs to stop...scream a lil Quick...your career depends on it...
I get your point...but I've only seen one sample of Spruce...I need to see more before I'm sold.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I've only seen one sample of Spruce
Yeah, I guess the coaches have seen a bunch more in practices/ota's....The Spruce I saw at Colorado looked like he'd have trouble getting open in a "real" game...With real db's....I don't see slot receiver quickness needed to succeed....but I'm pulling for any guy that can help this offense. 300 yards per game is pitiful...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Quick is going to have a good year - if for no other reason than to make so many of you so wrong.

No way.

But I could see him having a good game vs SF. Then Fisher being insane enough to cut one of our rooks. Then Quick doing nothing the rest of the season while the rook goes on to a good career elsewhere.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Hope you're right, but I don't see it. He's got all the physical tools, but something's missing in the attic, IMO.
Not that he's dumb or anything - it's just that he doesn't have the diva attitude that most successful receivers have.

lockdnram21

Legend
Hope you're right, but I don't see it. He's got all the physical tools, but something's missing in the attic, IMO.
Not that he's dumb or anything - it's just that he doesn't have the diva attitude that most successful receivers have.
He has no swag, no fire burning.. Even his celebrations ate lifeless.. If we could get the Quick back from first half of 14 would be good tho