Brian Quick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
First things first, I am a Quick apologist. I didn't love the pick when it was made, but, I certainly saw the upside.
Now that Cook has gone Quick has become the symbol/target of the Rams enemic offense.
He has had several drops this preseason but I think there was little chance he was going to be cut. Rookie WR take time to get up to speed. Maybe he is just here until other guys are healthy, but, I sort of doubt that.
I went back to 2014 because that was the last time Quick got meaningful time.
He had 25 catches (39 targets) and 1 drop along with 3 TDs.
Britt had 48 catches (84 targets) with 2 drops.
Austin had 31 catches (41 targets) with 3 drops.
Quick 4% drop rate (1 TD/8.3 catches)
Britt 4% drop rate (1 TD/16 catches)
Austin 9.8% drop rate (0 TDs)
By comparison a physically similar receiver Malcolm Floyd had 4 drops with 47 catches (99 targets), a drop rate of 8.5% drop rate.
A guy that some were clamoring to sign to replace Quick, Cecil Shorts had 5 drops with 53 catches (110 targets) a 9% drop rate.
For the 2014 season the worst drop rate belonged to Mike Evans who had 74 catches (148 targets) with 11 drops, a 14% drop rate.
The drop was tracked as an attempt the receiver got his hands on and could not complete the catch.
Quicks career drop numbers are higher and we all know numbers can mean what we want them to mean. For example last year he had a drop rate of 10%. One drop with 10 catches.
Quick can make plays. He was project that took a couple of years and then, when he was starting to contribute, had a serious injury.
Are the rookies ready to contribute? Don't know. I for one understan why Quick was not cut....a rookie rich receiving corp that also was dropping balls, injuries and he has shown some capability.
Signing someone like Shorts, an average guy who does not have better hands doesn't make much sense.
The real frustration is the Rams O and non production across the board. Cook was the guy everyone kicked (me included) even though he was more productive than most other guys on O because he dropped passes and had some fumbles.
That mantle had now been passed to Quick. He is a 2nd round pick that has not produced, but, as a whole the O have been flatlining for quite some time.
If the plan is to keep him until the rookies are healthy then so be it. If the plan is the have him contribute then I am getting him the ball by design a couple of times early in the SF game.
The Rams passing game has been short passes, outs, lateral routes, check downs and occasional deep shots. What has been missing is the intermediate stuff....something I think both Quick and Britt could do well with.
Not popular I know, but, I am down with Quick for one more try.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
Yep and look at the scrubs that have been throwing the ball to him. That second year he looked great then got injured. If he doesn't do anything this year then he'll ya cut him but I think he can contribute this season

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Nice post but I can't help but think it's kinda like posting Pead only fumbled three times so he wasn't a bad pick... But I'm still optimistic Quick's flashes will pay off somehow. Everywhere we look around the board people are putting a happy face on a lot of things. My nature doesn't allow me to do that very well so I respect the people that can, it's why I visit here so often.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Count me in as a Quick supporter, right now tho it wouldn't be the worst thing to give his allotted targets to Spruce or Thomas

He is a contributor as a downfield blocker tho, hope those other two are

fearsomefour

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice post but I can't help but think it's kinda like posting Pead only fumbled three times so he wasn't a bad pick... But I'm still optimistic Quick's flashes will pay off somehow. Everywhere we look around the board people are putting a happy face on a lot of things. My nature doesn't allow me to do that very well so I respect the people that can, it's why I visit here so often.
I hear ya.
It's why I led with the fact I am pulling for Quick still.
To me it is partly about none of the rookies lit it up.
If Quick doesn't contribute this year he is gone. Stat wise Austin has the worst hands on the team. Maybe because I am sure his are smaller. His playmaking ability allows him those drops.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I was a big Quick supporter and was slow to come around to the idea that he's just not gonna be any good. Here's hoping we swiftly find a replacement for him, I'm tired of running out the same old plodding offense year after year and he's one of the reasons why.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Crap . I clicked on the link hoping that he was cut . Enough is enough

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
I'm rooting for BQ to perform well. All the hate I have in life is exclusively reserved for the 49ers.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
First off I'm gonna support whoever makes the team, and whoever starts. But yeah, I think it''s insane to expect him to suddenly figure it out. I'll have to go back and look, but I'm pretty sure in the Vikes game he was running to the wrong side and Goff corrected him, just can't recall if that was him as I'm old with zero brain cells left. If it was him, well, I'd like to say that would be enough for Fish along with the drops and overall dumb play but Fish is too hard to read.

Will he make the team. Who knows. It is possible that Fish feels like none of his wideouts got enough coaching from the previous wide receivers' coach, and whether he's right or wrong remains to be seen. He did make a move at the position bringing in Groh, so there's merit to that. And by extension what some of the Quick backers here have pointed out has merit too, that he will probably bring more to this offense than the kids. So I don't know.

All that aside, if he is cut I'm gonna celebrate for selfish reasons. I don't like dumb players, and before someone jumps me about calling him dumb or how dumb people have rights too, etc., I mean in terms of how he plays. The dude is a dumbass, plain and simple. Too many dumb players on one unit can reach a critical mass, and that's where we have been with him and Cook, not to mention Tavon looking dumb as he tried to figure out what a route tree was.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Count me in as a Quick supporter, right now tho it wouldn't be the worst thing to give his allotted targets to Spruce or Thomas

He is a contributor as a downfield blocker tho, hope those other two are
While I agree with you about Spruce,( I started to type Bruce:LOL:) I don't have the same confidence in Thomas, yet!(y);):D

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Nice post but I can't help but think it's kinda like posting Pead only fumbled three times so he wasn't a bad pick...

Agree. Another one of those 7 - 9 type decisions which has posters scratching their heads about how long this can go on. jmo.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
It truly is a Lucy/Charlie Brown deal. The whole "Jared Goff is a bust!!!!" Media lie, which is now: Out there. Thick. Real. Prevalent. (I saw another hilarious pod/story today) It has been concocted:
  • 40% by Goff himself. (Not getting offense completely memorized, timing, fumbles, speed, etc.
  • 20% by management/coaching setting up this narrative by not getting him enough game reps- especially with front line players. (In my opinion.)And Fisher playing it too safe.
  • 40% by Brian freaking Quick and Mike flipping Thomas, and others, dropping ball after perfectly thrown ball!!
:deadhorse:Yeah, I'm still talkin' about it! Whatcha gon do?!!:sneaky:

EasyE

Starter
Nice post O.P.....here is to hoping better QB play helps him...His confidence is way down right now...hope he gets it together...come on Quickie!

next up, Whiners....

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He has had several drops this preseason
I count 3...which is typically defined as a few...

Biggest Quick fan on the net...he's gonna have to show it....but the only reason he wasn't cut was they didn't draft anyone that they think could do his job...Be the other big target opposite of Britt....I think Thomas, Duke, McRoberts, and to some degree SPRUCE were brought in to push him...Sorta like Belichick bringing in a rookie QB to push Tom Brady...was he motivated? Lets see...I will say, he's developing the habit of dropping poorly thrown balls over the middle..like he's scared...Like someone told him, "hey man, I ain't catching those bs passes over the middle" and Quick just replied, "yeah"....B4 he was a ex-basketball player playing football, didn't know what was what...didn't know catching high passes over the middle was/is dangerous..so he did it without complaints...Now, it looks like he's aware of the dangers...and it's effecting his go all out attitude...hope he overcomes this survival instinct...cause I think if he drops ONE ball vs frisco...he's gone....

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
First off I'm gonna support whoever makes the team, and whoever starts. But yeah, I think it''s insane to expect him to suddenly figure it out. I'll have to go back and look, but I'm pretty sure in the Vikes game he was running to the wrong side and Goff corrected him, just can't recall if that was him as I'm old with zero brain cells left. If it was him, well, I'd like to say that would be enough for Fish along with the drops and overall dumb play but Fish is too hard to read.

Will he make the team. Who knows. It is possible that Fish feels like none of his wideouts got enough coaching from the previous wide receivers' coach, and whether he's right or wrong remains to be seen. He did make a move at the position bringing in Groh, so there's merit to that. And by extension what some of the Quick backers here have pointed out has merit too, that he will probably bring more to this offense than the kids. So I don't know.

All that aside, if he is cut I'm gonna celebrate for selfish reasons. I don't like dumb players, and before someone jumps me about calling him dumb or how dumb people have rights too, etc., I mean in terms of how he plays. The dude is a dumbass, plain and simple. Too many dumb players on one unit can reach a critical mass, and that's where we have been with him and Cook, not to mention Tavon looking dumb as he tried to figure out what a route tree was.

That reminds me of Jimmy Johnson telling his coaches to just hit him in the head with a hammer if he ever drafts another stupid player!:rolllaugh:

fearsomefour

Legend
Nice post O.P.....here is to hoping better QB play helps him...His confidence is way down right now...hope he gets it together...come on Quickie!

next up, Whiners....

That is why I would get it to him early vs SF if the plan is to have him be a part of the offense.

fearsomefour

Legend

You mentioning dumb players reminds me to keep an eye out for Ray Ray Armstrong Monday night.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
First things first, I am a Quick apologist. I didn't love the pick when it was made, but, I certainly saw the upside.
Now that Cook has gone Quick has become the symbol/target of the Rams enemic offense.
He has had several drops this preseason but I think there was little chance he was going to be cut. Rookie WR take time to get up to speed. Maybe he is just here until other guys are healthy, but, I sort of doubt that.
I went back to 2014 because that was the last time Quick got meaningful time.
He had 25 catches (39 targets) and 1 drop along with 3 TDs.
Britt had 48 catches (84 targets) with 2 drops.
Austin had 31 catches (41 targets) with 3 drops.
Quick 4% drop rate (1 TD/8.3 catches)
Britt 4% drop rate (1 TD/16 catches)
Austin 9.8% drop rate (0 TDs)
By comparison a physically similar receiver Malcolm Floyd had 4 drops with 47 catches (99 targets), a drop rate of 8.5% drop rate.
A guy that some were clamoring to sign to replace Quick, Cecil Shorts had 5 drops with 53 catches (110 targets) a 9% drop rate.
For the 2014 season the worst drop rate belonged to Mike Evans who had 74 catches (148 targets) with 11 drops, a 14% drop rate.
The drop was tracked as an attempt the receiver got his hands on and could not complete the catch.
Quicks career drop numbers are higher and we all know numbers can mean what we want them to mean. For example last year he had a drop rate of 10%. One drop with 10 catches.
Quick can make plays. He was project that took a couple of years and then, when he was starting to contribute, had a serious injury.
Are the rookies ready to contribute? Don't know. I for one understan why Quick was not cut....a rookie rich receiving corp that also was dropping balls, injuries and he has shown some capability.
Signing someone like Shorts, an average guy who does not have better hands doesn't make much sense.
The real frustration is the Rams O and non production across the board. Cook was the guy everyone kicked (me included) even though he was more productive than most other guys on O because he dropped passes and had some fumbles.
That mantle had now been passed to Quick. He is a 2nd round pick that has not produced, but, as a whole the O have been flatlining for quite some time.
If the plan is to keep him until the rookies are healthy then so be it. If the plan is the have him contribute then I am getting him the ball by design a couple of times early in the SF game.
The Rams passing game has been short passes, outs, lateral routes, check downs and occasional deep shots. What has been missing is the intermediate stuff....something I think both Quick and Britt could do well with.
Not popular I know, but, I am down with Quick for one more try.
Great post Fearsome but i'm not down with 1 more year of Quick. I don't even see the upside anymore. He's uncoordinated, a bit soft when not run blocking, hands of stone etc. I've posted all this before. No need to for me to keep beating that horse.