Brian Quick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Good post. I think Quick may be serviceable this season. The main reason he was never going to be cut is the tradiional time it takes for rookie WRs to be productive in the NFL. No way Fisher was going into this season with four rooks on the roster. Three is pretty rare I think and that's what we have. pulling for Quick because if he is successful, we are in fantastic shape.

Ramification

Happy at the Coliseum again
...Be the other big target opposite of Britt....I think Thomas, Duke, McRoberts, and to some degree SPRUCE were brought in to push him...

I've noticed that you have taken to typing SPRUCE in all caps. What is the significance?

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Good post. I think Quick may be serviceable this season. The main reason he was never going to be cut is the tradiional time it takes for rookie WRs to be productive in the NFL. No way Fisher was going into this season with four rooks on the roster. Three is pretty rare I think and that's what we have. pulling for Quick because if he is successful, we are in fantastic shape.

5 years?

Psycho_X

Legend
It's not even the drops that bugs me about Quick it's the way he looks on the field. He did have a nice 3 games streak a couple of games before his big shoulder injury but that's been about it. He has always just looked raw and confused... or like his brain was taking a couple seconds to process past when it should be. At first I chalked it up to the whole "played for Ap State" part but as the years went on it continued. And his lack of using his size a lot of the times. Yes, he has made some nice plays. But they our outnumbered by the befuddling awful ones.

He must be a hell of a practice player because based on games there is no reason he shouuld be on this team still. But I welcome him to prove me wrong.

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
QS_0ffa066544814611b1e526075c06ba2a.jpg

FRO

Legend
Is there any examples of a WR playing poorly then all the sudden turning it on in year 5? They shouldn't have even brought him to camp and should have been more aggressive adding WRs in the offseason. I mean it was a glaring hole going into the offseason as it has been for 8/9 years or so. Really no excuse to have such a poor WR group.

fearsomefour

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Is there any examples of a WR playing poorly then all the sudden turning it on in year 5? They shouldn't have even brought him to camp and should have been more aggressive adding WRs in the offseason. I mean it was a glaring hole going into the offseason as it has been for 8/9 years or so. Really no excuse to have such a poor WR group.
There were a couple of reasons a WR was not brought in via FA.
The main reason is they were just being way over paid. Marvin Joned is a nice receiver but not a true dominant take over the game kind of guy. Those true number 1 guys don't hit the FA agent marks very often. So, teams overpay for who is available. The second level FAs didn't offer a ton more.

lockdnram21

Legend
There were a couple of reasons a WR was not brought in via FA.
The main reason is they were just being way over paid. Marvin Joned is a nice receiver but not a true dominant take over the game kind of guy. Those true number 1 guys don't hit the FA agent marks very often. So, teams overpay for who is available. The second level FAs didn't offer a ton more.
And if they do hit open market they not coming to Jeff Fisher team where they will be a blocker most of the time.. No good receiver is going to want to come play in this offense

lockdnram21

Legend
Only way u get a good at with Fisher the coach is to draft or trade for 1. No one will want to play in this dumb offense

fearsomefour

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
And if they do hit open market they not coming to Jeff Fisher team where they will be a blocker most of the time.. No good receiver is going to want to come play in this offense
Hadn't really thought of that but it's a good point.
If I was a FA WR my first two questions are who is the OC and who is the QB.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Hadn't really thought of that but it's a good point.
If I was a FA WR my first two questions are who is the OC and who is the QB.

I agree with you guys on that. Although I will add when that is the case you overpay as a GM in FA. Having overpaid for one of those wideouts would have me feeling pretty good right now tbh.

But I still think the Rams have been a dumb offense because of their leadership at the coordinator position. Schotty was in over his head, a victim of rising too high too fast. Cignetti wasn't ready and got his butt handed to him non-stop once the league had a bead on his playcalling tendencies and gameplanning. Fish in general has struggled with coordinator hires in his history and it's why his coaching tree is so barren for a guy who has been around 20 years as a head coach.

The Rams haven't had an actual "good" OC since Linehan was here, and he was busy being overwhelmed by head coaching duties. It's sad man.

But either way I actually like what I've seen thus far from Boras and Groh. I suspect they might make a really good team and if so we will see improvement in this offense. If not, well, it's just gonna be another long season for us.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Quick was playing some good ball before his injury. I was thinking man he was worth taking and finally coming around. I don't know what happened after the injury. Was he afraid of getting hurt again? Who knows. I saw a pretty damn good WR before he got hurt. I'm up for him another year. Hopefully he can recapture what he had before he got hurt. As many have said, he's also a good downfield blocker. That can only help Gurley and our RB's in the long run.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I've noticed that you have taken to typing SPRUCE in all caps. What is the significance?
Just like @-X- says....pronounce it like...SPRUUUUCE!!!!!! Loud and proud baby....

It's not even the drops that bugs me about Quick it's the way he looks on the field.
Body language expert huh??? Yeah, he wears his emotions on the field...he wants it...better than someone that looks like they don't give a fuck...ala Cook....

I still say it was 7 games...they actually had to game plan him out of the offense the last 3 games (after his 2 td game)....which helped others get open....and even if it was his 3rd year, it was like a rookie year...plus it was with Austin Davis...although he was showing the same chemistry with Sam Bradford in preseason....

Is there any examples of a WR playing poorly then all the sudden turning it on in year 5?
Too many to really name...Vincent Jackson comes to mind...not as long but worse since he played with Phillip Rivers....Chris Carter was almost out of the league...not sure what his production was...couldn't have been outstanding....
Can we just agree Fro...Everybody turns "ON" on their own schedule....Quick has his...hopefully it's year 5....

Last edited:

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
@Ramhusker Quick is going into year 5 and we're still hoping that one day he will be productive. The same way we would be hoping that the rookie could one day be productive. You could bring in almost anyone who has played wr in college to replace what Quick has brought to the team, with the exception of those few games that one year almost 2 full years ago now. That is, unless you want to forego the receiving and just have Wide Blockers. Heck, stick a lineman out there anytime you would put Quick in the field. Same same.

It's not like he's a slightly below average vet who brings savvy or a unique skill set. He's a tall guy with full use of both legs and that's about it.

It's been 4 years and a pre season and we're still waiting for him to bring any of the things he can supposedly do to the table.

A rookie can get a catch or two every other game game just like him. His size may be hard to replace, but his production isn't.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
@Ramhusker Quick is going into year 5 and we're still hoping that one day he will be productive. The same way we would be hoping that the rookie could one day be productive. You could bring in almost anyone who has played wr in college to replace what Quick has brought to the team, with the exception of those few games that one year almost 2 full years ago now. That is, unless you want to forego the receiving and just have Wide Blockers. Heck, stick a lineman out there anytime you would put Quick in the field. Same same.

It's not like he's a slightly below average vet who brings savvy or a unique skill set. He's a tall guy with full use of both legs and that's about it.

It's been 4 years and a pre season and we're still waiting for him to bring any of the things he can supposedly do to the table.

A rookie can get a catch or two every other game game just like him. His size may be hard to replace, but his production isn't.
Except you conveniently forget the full year, might as well been a season and a half when he was recovering.

He might as well be considered a year 3 guy who is still on an up trending progression. Obviously the staff thinks he deserves to get a shot or they would not have given him a new contract.

FRO

Legend
Just like @-X- says....pronounce it like...SPRUUUUCE!!!!!! Loud and proud baby....

Body language expert huh??? Yeah, he wears his emotions on the field...he wants it...better than someone that looks like they don't give a freak...ala Cook....

I still say it was 7 games...they actually had to game plan him out of the offense the last 3 games (after his 2 td game)....which helped others get open....and even if it was his 3rd year, it was like a rookie year...plus it was with Austin Davis...although he was showing the same chemistry with Sam Bradford in preseason....

Too many to really name...Vincent Jackson comes to mind...not as long but worse since he played with Phillip Rivers....Chris Carter was almost out of the league...not sure what his production was...couldn't have been outstanding....
Can we just agree Fro...Everybody turns "ON" on their own schedule....Quick has his...hopefully it's year 5....
Both Jackson and Carter had 600+ yard seasons within their first three years. Now you can argue maybe Quick would have in 2014 had he not got injured. Maybe. In 2015 he was as bad as he was in 2012-2013 and he didn't look improved over the preseason either. How long do you wait on him? If he weren't the 33rd pick in the draft in 2012 he'd be out of the league. If the Rams cut him today I would be surprised if another team picked him up.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
Both Jackson and Carter had 600+ yard seasons within their first three years. Now you can argue maybe Quick would have in 2014 had he not got injured. Maybe. In 2015 he was as bad as he was in 2012-2013 and he didn't look improved over the preseason either. How long do you wait on him? If he weren't the 33rd pick in the draft in 2012 he'd be out of the league. If the Rams cut him today I would be surprised if another team picked him up.

You are talking about production. No wide receiver for the Rams since 2012 have or will get the number of targets to put up those type of numbers except for Austin and he averages less that 10 yards per reception. Different systems and not a fair comparison.