Breaking: Alex Smith traded to the Redskins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
NRC is also one of the best slot corners in this league. But getting a QB who is at the top of his game for him and a third round pick would be a damn good deal.

Also I could care less who says what tbh, either, even in the media. They're the same morons who thought Goff was a bust in year one in a bad offense. Just my take that the Chiefs could have gotten a better deal. For the Skins timing's everything I suppose, and yeah I have no problem disagreein on this one.

They had a better and younger QB they should of had signed last year though. When you take that into account and the fact that the skins also resigned smith to a $24 mil a year deal with $70 mil guaranteed. Skins didn’t fleece anyone but themselves in my mind.

I do agree with you on the Goff pt. Anyone thinking a player thrown into the worst offense by far in the league with only 7 games to his name is a bust is an idiot.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So Cousins is going where?

If I were him and they have the money...Minnesota.

Gotta be Denver

Their window is closing IMO. They lost a lot of talent since the Super bowl. I think Minnesota is the better option.

Don't laugh but he is going to Cleveland. And the Browns just might be next years Rams success story.......

Just sayin'.....

~ArkyRamsFan~

Yes, but does Cousins risk it? It's the Browns. Go with the safe bet in Minnesota. However the Browns could outbid everyone. They have cap space....lots of it.

Doubt it, but Minnesota would be a great spot for Cousins. They're a complete team aside from stability at the QB position. I'd take Cousins over the 3 that they have/had.

Ditto.

Sure they do, $25 million in cap space and a non guaranteed $19 million to Bortles. Cut him and you're golden. Cut Hurns and Ivory and boom there's another $14 million. They have all the money the want.

Bottles just played his best game of his career against Pittsburgh, in the playoffs. I don't think Jacksonville will move away from him. More likely his trouble was coaching and management. They have both now with Marrone and Coughlin in charge. Bottles didn't look like the problem anymore.

Cousins ends up in Jacksonville, Denver, or (please, no) Minnesota. All three teams that can win now but have giant question marks at QB.

Yeah it would suck to have him in the NFC on a loaded team. It depends what he wants most. Money or the big game.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The timing of the deal is odd. Usually teams wait out trades. I guess if they converted Fuller then they got their guy. Fuller added to Peters will really stifle opposing QBs. Maybe it is better than draft picks to them. Apparently it is because no team in the league could have offered the amount of picks that Cleveland could. I guess if your team is a playoff team then take the sure thing and forget about quantity with a bunch of picks.

But, Damn what was Dorsey thinking? He should have been able to outbid anyone, and still keep a bunch of good picks.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Apparently either Washington isn't as big on Cousins as many others are (or they would have paid him rather than giving Smith that money AND trading a pick and a good young, cost contained player); or Cousins was demanding an absolute fortune to stay with the Redskins. At least Washington will get a comp pick, almost certainly a 3rd, for him. (though lower and a year later than what they traded).

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bortles just had wrist surgery already this offseason. He has a health clause in his contract that states that if he is unhealthy to perform at the beginning of the league year, they can not cut him. So there is a lot of money invested and I really do not think they can afford two QBs at this point. It's looking like Bortles is a Jag next year.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-jaguars-qb-blake-bortles-surgery-right-wrist

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Wow not sure on this IMO, the Skins save money, but the Chiefs really believe that Pat Mahomes is the next Len Dawson and will lead the Chiefs to not only an actual playoff victory, but to the Super Bowl. In Washington, they save serious money and receive a bonafide starter, in which, they will groom somebody down the road to take over.

Good for Smith, he goes to a new team and in a couple years Redskins fans will be screaming for them to play the other guy as for Smith, the more things change, the more things remain the same.

Todd59

Rookie
I have to imagine the Browns are going to put one heck of a deal together for Cousins. They have all the money in the world available to them. And then the can use their first round picks on 2 game-changers. They might even be able to trade out of #1 and get more picks, since they wouldn't need a QB.

Psycho_X

Legend
I'm sure the Chiefs are going to try Mahomes but it'd be hilarious if they signed Cousins and made a deep playoff run next season. Would really make Dan Snyder look like the boob that he is.... again.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/31/whats-next-for-kirk-cousins/

What’s next for Kirk Cousins?
Posted by Mike Florio on January 31, 2018

With Washington and Kansas City tentatively agreeing to a trade that would send quarterback Alex Smith from one team with a Native American nickname to another, the next question becomes where the career of current Washington quarterback Kirk Cousins will lead.

Obviously, the deal to acquire (and to pay) Smith means that Washington will use neither the franchise tag nor the transition tag on Cousins. This means he’ll become an unrestricted agent on March 14, and that he’ll sign with another team.

So which team will he sign with? Let’s consider the possibilities.

Jets: They need a franchise quarterback (they haven’t had one since Joe Namath), and they have the cash and cap space to bring him to town. The broader question is whether they want a 29-year-old franchise quarterback, or whether they’d rather get a guy out of college with 10-15 years of expected playing time in town.

Bills: The thinking is they’ll trade up for a franchise quarterback. But they could sign Cousins and use their draft ammunition on building a team around him.

Browns: Hue Jackson runs a similar offense to Jay Gruden. With Todd Haley now running the offense, however, the question of fit will emerge. Also, the Browns may be more inclined to swing for the fences with a younger quarterback. Then there’s the possibility that Cousins isn’t interested in being part of a reclamation project.

Jaguars: The Jags can pay Blake Bortles $19 million for 2018, or they can use that money on Cousins. Surely, he’d be intrigued by joining the best team (at the other 21 positions) in the NFL.

Broncos: G.M. John Elway desperately needs to upgrade the quarterback position, and Cousins would do it. The real question is whether Cousins would be good enough to bring the team together and lead it to another championship. For now, though, the primary goal should be to avoid what would be the team’s second straight losing season since 1971-72. Cousins would definitely help in that regard.

Giants: They seem to be all in with Eli. But that was before Cousins came free. Will that change their assessment? Maybe, maybe not.

Vikings: They have a huge decision to make at quarterback, obviously. What it would cost to get Cousins becomes another factor in the Sam Bradford/Teddy Bridgewater/Case Keenum conundrum.

Saints: Drew Brees says he’s staying. In the unlikely event he doesn’t, Cousins becomes an obvious alternative.

Cardinals: They have no quarterbacks. They need a quarterback. Cousins is a quarterback. #logic.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Apparently either Washington isn't as big on Cousins as many others are (or they would have paid him rather than giving Smith that money AND trading a pick and a good young, cost contained player); or Cousins was demanding an absolute fortune to stay with the Redskins. At least Washington will get a comp pick, almost certainly a 3rd, for him. (though lower and a year later than what they traded).

I think it just comes down to Snyder. His ego cannot accept that he was wrong and Shanahan was right. Shanahan never really wanted RG3, which is part of the reason Cousins was taken as an insurance policy. Sure enough, RG3 didn't work out, Cousins did, and that sticks in Snyder's craw to this day.

Yeah it would suck to have him in the NFC on a loaded team. It depends what he wants most. Money or the big game.

Exactly what I was thinking.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Wow not sure on this IMO, the Skins save money, but the Chiefs really believe that Pat Mahomes is the next Len Dawson and will lead the Chiefs to not only an actual playoff victory, but to the Super Bowl. In Washington, they save serious money and receive a bonafide starter, in which, they will groom somebody down the road to take over.

Good for Smith, he goes to a new team and in a couple years Redskins fans will be screaming for them to play the other guy as for Smith, the more things change, the more things remain the same.

The rookie contracts for a QB is a great deal Now A Days !!

Look at how much The Rams are paying Jared Goff as the first pick? Not what they gave up ).

Now look at what Sam Bradford got paid 7 years ago ?

Smith is still not cheap , but compared to over paying for franching a player twice.

Look at how much The Rams signed Tru Johnson for last season?

Aaron Donald in this scenario still has 3 years with The Rams.

How will The Rams spend there savings from having Jared Goff this season ?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm sure the Chiefs are going to try Mahomes but it'd be hilarious if they signed Cousins and made a deep playoff run next season. Would really make Dan Snyder look like the boob that he is.... again.

Come on Man , that is ridiculous. Maybe funny in some way ?

Ask McVay what he thinks of Snyder ? I’m sure he would have a Different view than you.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
ljramsfan,
I am definitely predicting the Browns draft Saquan Barkley at number one overall. Then they take either Bradley Chubb or Orlando Brown at 4.
They already have their speedy receiver in Corey Coleman so not a need there; plus with Josh Gordon back on the wagon they are looking pretty stout at Wide out.

People need to start taking a look at the Browns a little closer, imo.
They really do remind me of how the Rams looked at the end of our 4 and 12 in 2016.
Still just sayin'

~ArkyRamsFan~
Yeah that would be good. And your right about getting someone in the trenches. I believe they have a few 2nd rounders to get more offensive players or D help.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Cardinals: They have no quarterbacks. They need a quarterback. Cousins is a quarterback. #logic.

How in the hell, as an NFL team, do you not have a QB on your roster?! That shit is hilarious.

Psycho_X

Legend
Come on Man , that is ridiculous. Maybe funny in some way ?

Ask McVay what he thinks of Snyder ? I’m sure he would have a Different view than you.

Which part is ridiculous? The part that'd be funny and ironic if the Chiefs signed Cousins and they performed better than the Redskins after they basically gave a 3rd and a good, young CB to swap a better QB to them? Or the part where Snyder always overpays for mediocre and/or aging talent to perpetually leave his team average at best?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/31/whats-next-for-kirk-cousins/

What’s next for Kirk Cousins?
Posted by Mike Florio on January 31, 2018

With Washington and Kansas City tentatively agreeing to a trade that would send quarterback Alex Smith from one team with a Native American nickname to another, the next question becomes where the career of current Washington quarterback Kirk Cousins will lead.

Obviously, the deal to acquire (and to pay) Smith means that Washington will use neither the franchise tag nor the transition tag on Cousins. This means he’ll become an unrestricted agent on March 14, and that he’ll sign with another team.

So which team will he sign with? Let’s consider the possibilities.

Jets: They need a franchise quarterback (they haven’t had one since Joe Namath), and they have the cash and cap space to bring him to town. The broader question is whether they want a 29-year-old franchise quarterback, or whether they’d rather get a guy out of college with 10-15 years of expected playing time in town.

Bills: The thinking is they’ll trade up for a franchise quarterback. But they could sign Cousins and use their draft ammunition on building a team around him.

Browns: Hue Jackson runs a similar offense to Jay Gruden. With Todd Haley now running the offense, however, the question of fit will emerge. Also, the Browns may be more inclined to swing for the fences with a younger quarterback. Then there’s the possibility that Cousins isn’t interested in being part of a reclamation project.

Jaguars: The Jags can pay Blake Bortles $19 million for 2018, or they can use that money on Cousins. Surely, he’d be intrigued by joining the best team (at the other 21 positions) in the NFL.

Broncos: G.M. John Elway desperately needs to upgrade the quarterback position, and Cousins would do it. The real question is whether Cousins would be good enough to bring the team together and lead it to another championship. For now, though, the primary goal should be to avoid what would be the team’s second straight losing season since 1971-72. Cousins would definitely help in that regard.

Giants: They seem to be all in with Eli. But that was before Cousins came free. Will that change their assessment? Maybe, maybe not.

Vikings: They have a huge decision to make at quarterback, obviously. What it would cost to get Cousins becomes another factor in the Sam Bradford/Teddy Bridgewater/Case Keenum conundrum.

Saints: Drew Brees says he’s staying. In the unlikely event he doesn’t, Cousins becomes an obvious alternative.

I call bullshit on the Hets not having a franchise QB . I think they just did a poor job at building there team over the years.

Will be interesting to see where Cousins goes.

It will help start to shape what teams will do with the draft. I think The Jets stay with there QB .

The Jags would be the best fit. I say that above the thoughts of a post before this.

Bortles vs Cousins ? I’d say NE might not be playing in the Super Bowl if there was a swap ?

The Vikings could be a good place , but it seems Nick Foles really exposed there defense.

It shows what the bomb can do to cheating Defenses.

Think Al Davies theory ?

I sure hope to see Nick light the Pats up .

I will always remember when Barron took Big Ben out & The Rams had a chance of beating the Steelers. Nick Foles finds a wide open Lance Kendricks for a TD on the left side of the field. I stood up to cheer in front of a bar full of Steelers fans all dressed up, to only have it go off of 4 thumbs Kendrick’s.
—Felt like taking a South West Flight !! Want to get away ?
To think The Rams didn’t have playoff talent ? Wow — Chris Long is going to another Super Bowl along with Rodney McCloud.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bortles contract is fully guaranteed if still on roster by March 1st. Free agency doesn’t start til March 14th. He also has a clause that guarantees his money if injured or recovering from an injury. He just got wrist surgery. That’s why there are reports of the jags sticking with him for next year.
His surgery was a minor one with a 3 week recovery. He’ll be fine for a physical.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Which part is ridiculous? The part that'd be funny and ironic if the Chiefs signed Cousins and they performed better than the Redskins after they basically gave a 3rd and a good, young CB to swap a better QB to them? Or the part where Snyder always overpays for mediocre and/or aging talent to perpetually leave his team average at best?
My favorite part is this is the second aging QB that Andy Reid has fleeced Washington with. He got a 2nd and 3rd for Donovan McNabb.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Don't laugh but he is going to Cleveland. And the Browns just might be next years Rams success story.......

Just sayin'.....

~ArkyRamsFan~
I lol, But IF Cleveland EVER got there act together, with all the Draft choices they have, If they could land Cousins, the could do something!! "BUT THAT's A BIG IF!!(y)

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

It seems like he was afraid of over paying for a QB in Cousins , but way over paid in the long run. Now he is signiing a (the word ?) Career type QB

—Andy Reid knows about QB’s better than 90 % of coaches. I don’t think there is any chance the Chiefs would ever pay that price tag for Cousins !!
—Sort of funny to think that would happen.

I think on both sides it was a far deal.