Bradford vs Foles

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Rams must like what they see in Foles. And that's all that really matters.
Lets not get ahead of ourselves, that's not exactly a glowing praise, because lets not forget until he left the Rams liked what they saw in Bradford.

The team liking what they see doesn't necessarily confirm that there's something there.

tbux

Rookie
I think with Sam, many are going to find out what a good system and talent around him does for his performance. This about this fellas- the last year he was healthy (2012) for a full season- he was throwing to Gibson, Pettis, Salas and Kendricks the majority of the year, with an old SJ and oline issues. Think about that a sec. Many are going to be shocked by his #'s this year- I will not be one of those people.

Foles is a solid QB- and a nice fit here. Both will play well IMO.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Interesting topic and interesting thread.

The Bradford/Foles comparisons and discussions might go on for years. Whether we like it or not.

Here's how I'm currently looking at it.

Both are good QB's. Both are likely better suited for success in their new systems with their new teams. So this trade just might be win win for all 4 parties concerned.

Having said that, I would like to add a comment concerning Bradford and his projected NFL "promise" when he came out.

Sometimes great college players with terrific measurables just never really translate to the NFL. Isaiah Pead could be Exhibit A for this phenomenon.

Bradford may be another such player, although to a far lesser degree.

Foles owns a 12-4 winning percentage with a playoff appearance and a ProBowl on his resume already. Honestly, that means a helluva lot more than a Heisman, a glittering college record, and #1 overall pick status to me.

We're gonna "Roll with Foles". Okay, maybe that needs a little more work. Lol.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I believe Bradford is a more talented quarterback. He's got the measureables coaches fall in love with. Good size, strong arm, accurate, smooth delivery. What's not to like? But for some reason, all those great attributes never really translated onto the field on game day.

Something to consider, Foles had a down year last year. His QB rating was slightly better than Bradford's career rating. You can't discount that. My guess is because Foles is more of a playmaker than Bradford.

Bradford was good between the 20's. But getting the ball in the endzone was a challenge. How much was Bradford and how much was the supporting cast I guess we'll never know.

I was a big Bradford supporter. But when that last injury happened, I knew he would never be that guy I hoped he would be. His health was too fragile. Trading him for Foles was the right move. Even if Foles doesn't turn out to be the guy we hope for.

tbux

Rookie

The Bradford/Foles comparisons and discussions might go on for years. Whether we like it or not.

Both are good QB's. Both are likely better suited for success in their new systems with their new teams. So this trade just might be win win for all 4 parties concerned.

Having said that, I would like to add a comment concerning Bradford and his projected NFL "promise" when he came out.

Sometimes great college players with terrific measurables just never really translate to the NFL. Isaiah Pead could be Exhibit A for this phenomenon.

Foles owns a 12-4 winning percentage with a playoff appearance and a ProBowl on his resume already. Honestly, that means a helluva lot more than a Heisman, a glittering college record, and #1 overall pick status to me.

Do you think Foles would have been 12-4 with a playoff appearance with what Sam had from 2010-2012 when healthy? You think throwing to Gibson, Pettis and Salas would have yielded that kind of record? You are inadvertently comparing the success of 2 QBs with entirely different support.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Do you think Foles would have been 12-4 with a playoff appearance with what Sam had from 2010-2012 when healthy? You think throwing to Gibson, Pettis and Salas would have yielded that kind of record? You are inadvertently comparing the success of 2 QBs with entirely different support.

I hear you, tbux.

And I was a big Bradford supporter, myself, btw.

I have heard (and made) the same argument myself. And many, many others as well.

But here's the thing.

Some QB's have "talent" (measurables) and other QB's find a way to win.

I'll take the QB that wins over the QB with "talent" every single time.

Wins are the ultimate measurable.

tbux

Rookie
I hear you, tbux.

And I was a big Bradford supporter, myself, btw.

I have heard (and made) the same argument myself. And many, many others as well.

But here's the thing.

Some QB's have "talent" (measurables) and other QB's find a way to win.

I'll take the QB that wins over the QB with "talent" every single time.

Wins are the ultimate measurable.

Except winning isn't a QB thing- it is a TEAM thing. If you don't have the pieces around you to win, you wont. How is winning with nothing around them? Do yourself a favor, go look at the starting offense on ANY of those teams he was on- please do it. Tell me what QB is taking that to the playoffs. The whole thing- D, Oline etc- look at what we fielded.

A55VA6

Legend
I'm not worried about Foles struggling in practice at all.
My friend that is a Packers fan said Rodgers throws 3+ interceptions every other practice, even had a day where he threw 5. But we all know he doesn't do that in games.

There's players every year that shine in camp and don't do shit in games, and vise versa. So really, not concerned at the moment.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Ram43 rolls with Foles. The Rams O rolls with Foles.

There, I fixed it for you :)

Rainram

Starter
I'm not worried about Foles struggling in practice at all.
My friend that is a Packers fan said Rodgers throws 3+ interceptions every other practice, even had a day where he threw 5. But we all know he doesn't do that in games.

There's players every year that shine in camp and don't do crap in games, and vise versa. So really, not concerned at the moment.

Thank you with the Rodgers reference. It's not uncommon for QBs to push the limits, make some ill-advised throws, test their defense, test their WRs, etc. in practice.

And add in what Jrry said a few posts back.

Bottom line...at this point a little patience and some perspective is needed.

The thread turned into a larger Foles/Bradford debate (let's check back in week 8) whereas the OP was drawing comparisons to the camp/practice reports for both. I have no problem with Foles throwing some INTs when targeting receivers he's not familiar with. I'm ok (somewhat) with him holding the ball a bit longer than he might in real time. Also, they've had pads on for what?...3 days now. The offense still isn't running at full speed. And it's a new offense for him.

Patience and Perspective for now.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I miss Bradford, there I said it.

I'm happy with Foles though, I think he will do well in our system. I think Bradford will do well also, I'm excited to see him work Week 1. It'll probably be a little bittersweet, but that's fine. We will be better for having Foles, and that's what matters.

V3

Hall of Fame
I think with Sam, many are going to find out what a good system and talent around him does for his performance. This about this fellas- the last year he was healthy (2012) for a full season- he was throwing to Gibson, Pettis, Salas and Kendricks the majority of the year, with an old SJ and oline issues. Think about that a sec. Many are going to be shocked by his #'s this year- I will not be one of those people.

Foles is a solid QB- and a nice fit here. Both will play well IMO.
You're assuming he stays healthy the whole year. That's the main reason the Rams traded him.

tbux

Rookie
You're assuming he stays healthy the whole year. That's the main reason the Rams traded him.

Agree with that- but some have insinuated that without the health concerns he isn't that good. Those are the ones Im talking about.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Except winning isn't a QB thing- it is a TEAM thing. If you don't have the pieces around you to win, you wont. How is winning with nothing around them? Do yourself a favor, go look at the starting offense on ANY of those teams he was on- please do it. Tell me what QB is taking that to the playoffs. The whole thing- D, Oline etc- look at what we fielded.

Like I said, tbux.

I, too, was (and still am ) a big Bradford supporter.

Gawd knows he caught no breaks from the coaches and teammates that he inherited. Then there's the injuries he's suffered.

But after 5 years, I've gotta say that I just don't care anymore. I want to experience a winning and playoff season once again.

I wish Bradford all the best, but I'm all in with the trade and with the Foles contract extension.

The camp report buzz from both the amateurs and the beat writers indicates that the Ram players are all in on Foles, too. That speaks volumes to me. Foles seems to be our future while Bradford is clearly our past.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Just a comparison from what I've seen in games and heard from camp:

Foles:
- uses his height better (less tipped balls and MAY be able to locate Tavon better)
- less accurate, slower release
- takes more chances with the ball
- more vocal leader

Mobility for both could be interesting to discuss - past and future.

RamWoodie

Legend
Give it time folks! It can't be all gravy when you have:

*A new QB

*A new OC

*WRs, TEs, and RBs that have not worked with the QB.

*A very different OLine with a LOT of young players.

*These are all going up against a defense that has very few new players,

Kinda let it all come together...that's what camp is all about.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I'm not even sweating it, Foles will be better than Bradford next year. I'll throw all my ROD $$ down on that bet right now.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
At least we don't have to see Bradford's passes get swatted at the LOS this year..

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Nick Foles is the Rams' QB now. I'm not concerned with how Bradford looked in the past. I'm not concerned with how Foles looks now. I'll start worrying when the real games start. It's a new OC and Foles is coming from a completely different system and team. Let him get settled before worrying. Worrying doesn't help with anything. Just relax. We can't lose a real game for another month.

People know my opinion of Foles. But I think he's a good enough QB to get us to the playoffs if he's healthy. However, I have to disagree with the Flacco comparison. Foles doesn't have that type of arm.

This is me except that I take it one step further...I won't start worrying at any point...I can get disappointed, even angry at times...Worry, however, leads to ulcers...I've never had one, never will...I go with the flow and vent in my own way, time and place...It has always worked for me...Am I less a fan?? Am I less devoted ??? I certainly don't think so...I just don't let it overcome me...I've seen guys who actually make themselves very nearly physically ill,,,