BRADFORD TRADED FOR FOLES (IN SUPER UPPER-CASE TO DETER DUPLICATE THREADS)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I am not sure why people are thinking we get a 4th this year, like it's an extra pick. We are giving up our 5th round pick in exchange, so all we are is moving up ; we're not getting extra picks .

And, with the surrending of the 7th rnd for Keenum, the Rams have 4 picks total (excluding compensatory picks to be determined at a later date).
The 7th rounder for Keenum is next years 7th.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
You guys are forgetting that Bradford hasnt played since week 7 TWO SEASONS AGO. We made out like bandits. Its Foles or a backup. Bradford could not be counted on, especially when he costs so much against the cap. And remember, Foles has actually been to the playoffs...
You mean Files went to the playoffs with the Eagles? Playoff appeaaten

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
Looks like I need to find a new avatar.
Charlie Brown has left the building.

All jokes aside, wish Bradford the best. If he can play (productively) a few more years after TWO knee surgeries, than you got to consider that a win.

RamBill

Legend
Early returns: Rams come out on top of Bradford trade
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...eturns-rams-come-out-on-top-of-bradford-trade

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Despite countless insistences to the contrary, the St. Louis Rams are finally moving on from quarterback Sam Bradford.

The Rams confirmed Tuesday that they are sending Bradford to the Philadelphia Eagles in exchange for quarterback Nick Foles, with additional draft choice compensation involved. The move means the days of "make or break" years for Bradford in St. Louis have mercifully ended and fresh starts for all parties can be had.

Throughout coach Jeff Fisher's three years in St. Louis, the Rams seemed to remain devoted to Bradford's potential as a franchise quarterback. On multiple occasions, Fisher said Bradford was one of the two primary reasons he took the St. Louis job in the first place. That affection never materialized into much on the field; Bradford missed the past 25 games because of two torn anterior cruciate ligaments in his left knee and played in just 49 of a possible 80 games in five years in St. Louis.

Despite those ailments, the Rams appeared to again be committed to him for 2015. As it turned out, Fisher's and general manager Les Snead's repeated claims that "deleting" Bradford wasn't the solution and that Bradford played a large role in the hirings of Frank Cignetti as offensive coordinator and Chris Weinke as quarterbacks coach turned out to extend only so far as the best trade offer they could retrieve.

At last month's NFL scouting combine, both Fisher and Snead denied that they had allowed Bradford the chance to seek a trade.

"I was surprised to hear that -- not surprised -- but no, that's inaccurate," Fisher said then. "We talked about what our plans are for him."

Snead echoed those sentiments.

"I did say deleting him is not our answer," Snead said. "I don't know that that [trading him] solves our riddle. ... He's a good player. If some team was interested I certainly don't blame them. But I'll stick to what I said earlier, deleting him is not the answer."

At nearly every turn, Fisher and Snead offered similarly blatant misdirection. But they did so as a means to an end -- that being doing what they could to drive up the price for Bradford in the event that some team wanted to make a deal, while at the same time maintaining their relationship with Bradford.

In the meantime, Tom Condon, Bradford's agent, was apparently refusing to discuss the parameters of a pay cut from Bradford's $16.58 million 2015 cap hit. As that issue simmered on the back burner, the Eagles and Chip Kelly apparently began making it clear that they wanted to make a move for Bradford.

All along, the Rams didn't seem that interested in trading Bradford, with the important caveat that they might if the right offer came along. As the process moved on, Philadelphia apparently sweetened the pot to finally reach something with which the Rams felt comfortable. That something included Foles, a 2015 fourth-round pick and a 2016 second-round selection, not to mention a net savings of about $11,443,000 when subtracting Foles' 2015 cap number from Bradford's.

Make no mistake, Foles has plenty to prove in his new digs, not least of which includes proving that he can perform in an offense outside of Kelly's control. But a new start certainly won't hurt in those endeavors and the Rams figure to make moves to help him along the way.

Considering that Foles comes as a younger, cheaper, healthier (though he's had health issues) option, the Rams netted valuable future picks that could potentially provide a quarterback if Foles doesn't work out, and they got some much-needed cap space to improve other areas, it's hard not to see this as a win for the Rams.

Of course, declaring trade winners now means a whole lot of nothing in the grand scheme of things. What happens on the field in 2015 and beyond will give us a more tangible victor.

But as a team that hasn't had a whole lot of wins on the field or in the free-agent market in the past decade-plus, the Rams will take any victory they can get, even a premature one.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Foles.png

If he isn't 6'- 5" he is 6'-6" and 245 so he is a big presence in the pocket. He will tuck and run when needed and hell he loves to beat up on the Raiders too.
How do you not love that?

Last edited:

MrMotes

Starter
I think pretty much any QB in Kelly's offense will do better than just about any QB in Cignetti's .

But Foles for 1.5 mil and a 2 next year vs. Bradford for 16mil? That's a no brainer. I do that deal every day.

I also think this is good for Bradford: Gets to keep his big contact (so far anyway) and has a good shot at a Sanchez like Kelly bump to get his career back on track...

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
Ok so hypothetical and semi-serious question here, what if the Eagles trade Bradford? Does that count as him "not playing any snaps in 2015" hence the Eagles get a 3rd for 2016? This is getting way too complicated.

Also, I can't be having these kind of s*** thoughts right before I go to bed...

I think pretty much any QB in Kelly's offense will do better than just about any QB in Cignetti's .

But Foles for 1.5 mil and a 2 next year vs. Bradford for 16mil? That's a no brainer. I do that deal every day.

I also think this is good for Bradford: Gets to keep his big contact (so far anyway) and has a good shot at a Sanchez like Kelly bump to get his career back on track...

This^^^ It gets us focused $$$ towards building an Offense (WR/OL)

And devils advocate..

From last years game..

Austin Davis 29/49 375 yds. 7.73 avg. 103.7 QBR
Nick Foles 24/37 207 yds. 5.60 avg 86.2 QBR
And yes I do remember, we were playing from behind..

And 2014 stats..
http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/passingYards

My manufacturing background says look at the data.. numbers don't lie.. there are a lot of things a system can cover up whether it's Philly or St Louis.. regardless, with Case, Austin, and Nick.. we have a healthy battle.. no pun intended[/QUOTE]

RamBill

Legend
Breakdown of the Rams-Eagles trade
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/16906/breakdown-of-the-rams-eagles-trade

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The St. Louis Rams and Philadelphia Eagles made a trade Tuesday afternoon. You probably already heard about it as the foundation of it was a swap of quarterbacks. Sam Bradford to the Eagles in exchange for Nick Foles.

What followed was a lot of information that left a lot of people -- including yours truly -- scratching their heads on how exactly the accompanying draft pick compensation works out.

After getting some confirmation from the appropriate parties, here's the trade in all its glory (?).

Rams get: QB Nick Foles, 2015 fourth-round pick, 2016 second-round pick

Eagles get: QB Sam Bradford, 2015 fifth-round pick

None of the above picks are conditional. Those are set in stone.

Here's the conditional part:

If Bradford plays less than 50 percent of the snaps in 2015, the Eagles get a 2016 fourth-round pick from the Rams.

If Bradford does not play this season, the Eagles get a 2016 third-round pick from the Rams.

If Bradford plays more than 50 percent of the snaps in 2015, the Eagles get no additional picks.

So, for those keeping score at home, before the league announces compensatory picks at the NFL owners meetings, the Rams now have picks in the following rounds for the 2015 NFL draft: first, second, third, fourth (from Philadelphia) and seventh (from New England).

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
Ok so hypothetical and semi-serious question here, what if the Eagles trade Bradford? Does that count as him "not playing any snaps in 2015" hence the Eagles get a 3rd for 2016? This is getting way too complicated.

Also, I can't be having these kind of s*** thoughts right before I go to bed...
I have the same question. Does it matter on what team Bradford plays for the conditions to apply. The wording I've seen doesn't say it has to be for the Eagles.