Bonsignore: Jeff Fisher cost Rams a chance to win, but he won’t admit it

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
By Vincent Bonsignore, Los Angeles Daily News

POSTED: 10/09/16, 8:26 PM PDT | UPDATED: 5 HRS AGO

1 COMMENT

EP-161009434.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667

A fan holds up a “Fire fisher Sign” in the first half of a NFL football game between the Buffalo Bills ands Los Angeles Rams at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum on Sunday, Oct. 9, 2016 in Los Angeles. (Photo by Keith Birmingham, Pasadena Star-News/SCNG)

Maybe in some alternate universe where Bradley Marquez is the equivalent of a prime-time Reggie Bush and the Rams didn’t have three timeouts remaining and their defense wasn’t playing its guts out and there were two minutes left to play, not four, maybe then Jeff Fisher would have been right to dial up a fake punt from his own 23-yard line.

Eh, who the hell are we kidding.

No, absolutely not.

No way, no how.

It wouldn’t have been a prudent call under those circumstances and it certainly wasn’t judicious in the situation the Rams faced on Sunday with a chance to steal a win over the Buffalo Bills and take another decisive step forward in the standings.

On a blazing hot Sunday afternoon in which the Rams left far too many makable plays on the Coliseum turf Sunday than they care to remember, the one they’ll be kicking themselves over most had less to do with execution or talent than flawed thinking.

Todd Gurley put a ball on the turf that resulted in a Bills touchdown in the second quarter.

Case Keenum floated a lazy sideline pass into the waiting arms of Bills cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman for a devastating pick-6 that put Buffalo up by a touchdown in the third.

And the Rams continued to shoot themselves in the foot with sloppy penalties at the most inopportune times.

All of which contributed to a 30-19 loss that sent the Rams stumbling into a two-week road odyssey to Detroit and London with negative momentum rather than positive.

But nothing was as egregious as the fake punt Fisher ordered with 3:47 left in the game, the Bills leading 23-19, and the Rams facing a fourth-and-5 from their own 23-yard line.

Rather then give his team one more chance to get the ball back and drive the field for a game-winning score, Fisher gifted the Bills the ball at the 24-yard-line. From there, they easily delivered a final dagger when Marquise Goodwin reeled in a 6-yard touchdown pass from Tyrod Taylor to put the game out of reach.

Then Fisher clumsily pointed the finger everywhere else — including the Coliseum crowd of all things — rather than admitting he might have needlessly rolled the dice when being careful would have been the proper call.

Culminating with one final reach by going all in on what might have been or should have been had guys just done their job.

“If that thing works, it’s really good stuff,” Fisher said.

But it didn’t.

And everything Fisher said to justify or rationalize it was simply chatter to shift attention from the real issue.

He blew the call.

It didn’t cost them the game. But it denied them one final chance to win it.

And with every victory so precious to the Rams right now while playing with limited offensive weapons that leave very little margin for error, that’s nearly as bad as losing it.

Winning is tough enough as it is, let alone your head coach stepping in to sabotage things.

With the right decision staring him right in his face, Fisher fumbled it all away.

Rather than punt the ball and then lean on the strength of his team to get it right back with sufficient time to mount a comeback. Fisher put it in the hands of Marquez on a direct snap fake punt that Buffalo easily snuffed out.

Then Fisher did the most curious thing: He simultaneously threw his players under the bus while also blaming the crowd at the Coliseum for alerting Bills cornerback Ronald Darby the fake was on.

While never once admitting that, well you know, the whole part about calling a fake punt inside his own 25 in a one-score game with all his timeouts left — and the two minute warning — was brutally ill-advised.

Instead, Fisher put it squarely on the shoulders of his players by insisting the defensive look fit the call, and had the Rams merely carried out orders everything would have worked out beautifully.

“They executed it in practice,” Fisher said, sternly. “They didn’t execute it there.”

Marquez manned up and took his share of responsibility — while giving credit to the Bills — but seemed dubious that the Bills presented the ideal defensive scheme.

“We didn’t get the look that maybe we were anticipating,” he said. “But it was still a look we thought we could be successful with.”

Unfortunately the Bills didn’t bite.

And that prompted Fisher to half-jokingly — we think — put the screws on Rams fans for tipping off Darby the fake was on.

In actuality, Darby made a brilliant read by breaking off his blocking assignment to roll back and nail Marquez 2 yards shy of the first down.

But apparently an assist goes to the crowd. At least according to Fisher.

“He stopped coverage when he heard the crowd roar,” Fisher said. “So he came back and made the play.”

That’s nonsense, of course.

And even Marquez seemed a bit taken aback by his coach’s summation.

“As far as the crowd, I can’t speak to that,” said Marquez, who rightfully tipped his cap to Darby.

“He sniffed it out and was able to set the edge.” Marquez said.

At least someone was honorable enough to call it right.

Fisher certainly didn’t.

It was the wrong call at the absolutely wrong time.

It didn’t cost them the win. But it likely denied them one last legitimate shot to win it.

And that’s just as bad.

Psycho_X

Legend
This article should have been a third the size it was if he didn't repeat the same thing over and over about what Fisher said before actually putting what Fisher said.

Having said that, Fisher really comes off like a rube with this post game conference.

“If that thing works, it’s really good stuff,” Fisher said.

Just nut up man, you made a bad call and it cost you the game.

Bruce2980

Starter
Funny how the crowd blew the play and tipped Fisher's hat that the fake was on, but by sending #39 in motion, that was not a hint that this was going to be anything but another normal punt. Way to go Fisher, your special teams and defense could have forced a fumble, they've been clutch the last three weeks. Kennum and offense could have driven the length of the field and scored. There were several missed TDs earlier. I think you had too much doubt in your offense and that is why you were so desperate to end the game there. You had no faith in throwing the ball on first or second down. Good job.
I think the worst part about that call is that if it failed, game over. By punting, there were several future possibilities to win. I'd take the odds and go with more opportunities than by gambling on one, and even by making it there was no guarantee of victory, especially if you were just going to run again on first and second down and then throw short of the sticks on third.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
And that prompted Fisher to half-jokingly — we think — put the screws on Rams fans for tipping off Darby the fake was on.

In actuality, Darby made a brilliant read by breaking off his blocking assignment to roll back and nail Marquez 2 yards shy of the first down.

But apparently an assist goes to the crowd. At least according to Fisher.

“He stopped coverage when he heard the crowd roar,” Fisher said. “So he came back and made the play.”

That’s nonsense, of course.
I certainly do hope he was joking, because Walter Powell saw the whole thing unfold and made one-half of that tackle himself.
So even if Darby was "tipped off" by the crowd, Walker was gonna be there anyway to stop it.

These are the videos I hate to make.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ_Y1fpG56Q

(EDIT) - I'm waiting for the all-22 on this. I may have to rethink how this could have unfolded.

Last edited:

Psycho_X

Legend
I certainly do hope he was joking, because Walter Powell saw the whole thing unfold and made one-half of that tackle himself.
So even if Darby was "tipped off" by the crowd, Walker was gonna be there anyway to stop it.

(EDIT) - I'm waiting for the all-22 on this. I may have to rethink how this could have unfolded.

Watching this video it seems if Hager and Forest block anyone this could have been successful maybe. Basically Hager needed to man up his block and seal the edge and Forest just needed to get into Powell in any capacity and Marquez may have been able to squeak by with potential of something huge. Was some pretty piss poor execution.... was almost like they planned on the Bills being surprised and when they weren't no one knew wtf to do.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Watching this video it seems if Hager and Forest block anyone this could have been successful maybe. Basically Hager needed to man up his block and seal the edge and Forest just needed to get into Powell in any capacity and Marquez may have been able to squeak by with potential of something huge. Was some pretty pee pee poor execution.... was almost like they planned on the Bills being surprised and when they weren't no one knew wtf to do.
That's why I wanna see the all-22. Seems to me that the design was to have Troy Hill run Darby out of the play like a gunner typically does. If the all-22 shows Darby turning upfield to run with Hill, and he turns around because of the uproar, then Fisher would be right. Without seeing that angle, I can't say, but it would seem that if Hill blocked instead of trying to run Darby out of the play, Marquez wouldn't have had to turn the run inside. I'll have to revisit this and post the 2nd view when it becomes available.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I actually think a better player can get those yards...Bradley Marquez is a waste of roster space...we should have had Green or Brown or Chase taking that snap....

Or, Bradley coulda threw it to Hill when his man left to make the tackle...

But Fisher knows he blew a winnable game...again...just start a better QB...would have had a great 4:00 min drive...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Marquez is a gamer, but I wonder if Austin should have been used there? A cutback lane was there.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
its tough to see from the view what happened with the gunner, but before his man comes in to make the tackle it does look like Marquez might be able to beat the rest of the D to the edge enough to get the first, and thats with piss poor blocking all around. Can say what you want about the playcall, but man that execution was horrible. Damn shame

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Marquez is a gamer, but I wonder if Austin should have been used there? A cutback lane was there.
Austin in the backfield would raise 11 red flags all at once, IMO.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Well... I know it's happening in real time, but even the position of the Center seems to tip off the fake?

IMG_0658_zpsgh9xnqvi.jpeg

Debacled

Starter
Troy Hill COMPLETELY whiffed on his man on the outside. Runs 3 yards past him and turn around like oops. Had he stuck his man they may have been able to seal the edge there.

That said I don't think it was a terrible call. The offense was doing next to nothing in the 2nd half. Betting on getting the ball back and then the offense functioning later in the game under a time schedule would be rough to say the least.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Troy Hill COMPLETELY whiffed on his man on the outside. Runs 3 yards past him and turn around like oops. Had he stuck his man they may have been able to seal the edge there.
But on a fake punt, you have to run it like it's a real punt. Which means, as the gunner, he's supposed to ... gun.
Still wanna see how that action unfolded on that side, but I can't until they put the all-22 out.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
"Then Fisher did the most curious thing: He simultaneously threw his players under the bus"

Done this time and again.Can't expect someone to change or adapt when they refuse to
see or admit when they are wrong.This is one reason he has never changed in all of his years
of Coaching.Ego is a blinding personality trait.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
Well... I know it's happening in real time, but even the position of the Center seems to tip off the fake?

IMG_0658_zpsgh9xnqvi.jpeg
They had 4 defenders to 3 blockers and Fisher says he liked the look.He then blamed the players for not executing.Players must not have been listening when when he was teaching how to block two defenders with one man.After this Fisher could lose the team.Not for the play call,but for throwing his guys under the bus.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
This sign is something I never expected to see after the 3-1 start. I'm sure this guys next sign when they play Carolina at home will be interesting. LA Fans and media are going to be all over Fisher if he loses to the Lions next week.

EP-161009434.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667

Signs like these are merely just water off of a ducks back for coach..
FisherBucket.gif

RedRam

Pro Bowler
The crowd??? Really Fish??? Are you freaking kidding me??? After the snap the defense is likely all screaming "FAKE!!!"

It was a bad call, plain and simple. Own it Fisher! I'm no football coach but I don't run that play against the look I see from the defense. I audible out and punt.

Well, I wouldn't have called for a fake there period. But hey, what the freak do I know. I'm not a football coach...

Speaking of being a football coach, I'm beginning to think that you're not one either Fish! At least not a good one...