Being Brutally Honest....how Much Longer Do We Give Sam?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
While I agree it would be foolish to dump Sam if he put up numbers like that I think this hypothetical is a little silly.

I don't see any possible way we DON'T make the playoffs if Sam puts up numbers like that. Unless our entire defense get's amnesia and forgets what a football is.
Phillip Rivers - circa 2010-2012 - pretty similar numbers - Think he was the problem? Yeah... neither did they.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
While I agree it would be foolish to dump Sam if he put up numbers like that I think this hypothetical is a little silly.

I don't see any possible way we DON'T make the playoffs if Sam puts up numbers like that. Unless our entire defense get's amnesia and forgets what a football is.

I disagree. I don't think it's silly at all. Not in the slightest.
I watched all of Archie Manning's career while he put up similar numbers and his teams NEVER reached the playoffs.
But, my point here is that whether we make the playoffs or not, it's typically more than one player.
Point is, if we don't win next year, it may or may not be Sam's fault.
And to just take a position before that happens (i.e. no playoffs=it's Sam's fault-period) seems like making up your mind who's fault it is, before it even happens.

ramfidelis

UDFA
You can believe Fhisher has thought about it, but is sticking with Sam for now. So, the question is, "How long will he stick with Sam?"

jap

Legend
I hope you are right. I have these frigin Redskins fans coming into my office and asking me when we are cutting Bradford loose....I want to put it into their face!

Do you ask them when they are losing RGIII? :stirthepot:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I watched all of Archie Manning's career while he put up similar numbers and his teams NEVER reached the playoffs.
But, my point here is that whether we make the playoffs or not, it's typically more than one player.
And to just take a position before that happens (i.e. no playoffs=it's Sam's fault-period) seems like making up your mind who's fault it is, before it even happens.
I agree. If the defense that showed up in the Dallas game for example, was the one we were seeing next season, do you concentrate on replacing a QB that is putting up good numbers? All players need to be evaluated based on what they do for the TEAM - period. Do they help us win or does their play hold us back.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I agree 100%.

And after next year watch all the folks who suddenly get amnesia about this subject....and how many will say "I knew it all a long that he's a stud!"

I'm right w/ you, he was on pace without a running game!!!... Just need some young big uglies via this off season!!!

jap

Legend
Not to mention we'd look like assholes because he'd be unemployed about a millisecond. And the next team he'd play for would be all the better.

Frankly I am getting concerned with all the negative pub that is being spewd toward him he and his agent may not want to resign when the time comes. Yeah we could franchise him but that usually doesn't go well.

Believe me! Nobody important pays attention to the stupid negativity about Sam.:deadhorse:

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
I say we trade him for RGKnee since everyone thought me made a mistake not taking Mr. Me instead of the draft picks etc..

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
So say we go 8-8 in both of those years, don't make the playoffs.
Sam throws for 65 to 68% -4000+ yards and 35-40 TD's with 10 int's and we dump Sam?
What if we go 11-5, as Arizona almost did, and not make the playoffs? I mean, that's a legit scenario.

Take a look at the top of the draft board. There were a lot of teams that lost 11+ games this year, which led to a top-heavy NFC wild card. Could that happen again next year?

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have to ask myself, as a huge Rams fan, and supporter of Sam, would I trade him straight across for say Phillip Rivers? They both show signs of promise at times, but then Rivers will throw the Romo interception when they least need it. Would Sam make the same mistake on that team? I doubt it. So, again, we are faced with the same discussion of how bad our targets for Sam have been forever. Get him some top notch receivers like Keenan Allen, Golden Taint on top of Tavon Austin and Amendola at the same time and he would be breaking records IF and I SAY IF the coaching staff allows it to happen. Carson Palmer now has Fitz and looks like an all pro QB that blossomed out of nowhere. We need a legit scary receiver. We have had a Chuck Knox type game plan and coaching mindset with little imagination in regards to a passing game since Sam arrived. Maybe Sam is ready to jump out a window with frustration in regards to how he is being utilized. I know I am at times. I think Sam is a good as Cutler or better, stick with him.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
You can believe Fhisher has thought about it, but is sticking with Sam for now. So, the question is, "How long will he stick with Sam?"

How about this question. How long with Kroenke stick with Fisher if Fisher sticks with Sam and they keep on losing?

bluecoconuts

Legend
You keep him until he is part of the problem. Could be next year, could be 15 years. Right now he is not the problem.

bskrilla

Starter

I agree with all of this. I was simply saying that given what our defense appears to be, it would be almost impossible for us not to win 10-12 game if Bradford ends up with the numbers mentioned earlier, because it would mean our offense is giving us 24+ points a game. If that happens I can't see us NOT winning a ton of games.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
How about this question. How long with Kroenke stick with Fisher if Fisher sticks with Sam and they keep on losing?

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Oh never mind LOL

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
You keep him until he is part of the problem. Could be next year, could be 15 years. Right now he is not the problem.

Exactly. THats why I posted earlier that next year all the questions will be answered.

jap

Legend
I don't like to get too involved with these Sam threads because the points raised by his detractors tend to be too overly simplistic to me. When the Rams went up against Dallas and San Fran in a murderous 5-day swing last season, they were running DRich ineffectively into the middle of the OL looking for usually non-existent holes. Dlines as good as the Cowboys and the '9ers could simply ignore the run and concentrate on stopping the Rams' biggest threat, an accurate Sam Bradford. If Zac was ready to roll then and was given his shot, does anyone think Dallas or 'Friscoe would have been dominant, that they may even have lost to our Horns? An effective Zac would have forced the opponents to crowd the LOS, allowing more open space for Sam's flyguys. If the D dropped more people into coverage to stop Sam, Zac would have killed them.

If you are going to criticize a player, especially the most critical position, then take the entire circumstances he was under into consideration. Quite frankly, I have never seen a big name QB ever having to start his pro ball career the way Sam has.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox

If you are going to criticize a player, especially the most critical position, then take the entire circumstances he was under into consideration. Quite frankly, I have never seen a big name QB ever having to start his pro ball career the way Sam has.

This. People seem to forget that Saffold went down and was lost for four games in the second quarter of the game against Atlanta too. While Barksdale filled in admirably a loss like that definitely impacts the effectiveness of an O-line in general.

I don't have all the dates but the time lost to injury this season by Wells, Dahl, Saffold and to a lesser extent J. Long kept our line in a state of flux almost the entire season which makes what Stacy, Clemens and the rest of our offense accomplished more impressive than the numbers would lead to believe.