Being Brutally Honest....how Much Longer Do We Give Sam?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram_of_Old

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Want to make the Redskins fans leave you alone? Just say "Thanks for the #2 pick in next year's draft", then watch how fast they go from snarky to full head slump.

O do that pretty much every day of the week! :rofl:

Ram_of_Old

The HUGE answer to all of our concerns is WIN. If we win next year and make it to the playoffs, we can all forget about this very forgettable thread. If Sam excels and we don't win.....well then....?

I cannot assume, as some have, that Sam will play in the big game. He may, but we have to put some people in front of him and around him that will help. I do think Snead and Fisher are trying to do that. We will see how things go.I have been a Rams fan since 1967, and have found it is dangerous and many times disappointing to assume anything about the next season(s).

[hl]WE JUST GOTTA WIN![/hl]

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I am a huge Bradford fan. My avatar is Bradford, my computer background at the office is Sam. But we need to be honest and think of the team. Fisher and Snead have us on the verge of being a division contender and I see some great days coming....but

How much longer do we stick with Sam and not consider drafting or trading for another QB. He was solid last year until he went down. If he comes out and does that again this year, great. But guys, as much dedication as we feel for Sam, we need to think of the team.

How many more years do we give Sam?
IMHO opinion... give him Sammy Watkins and shore up the OL and he has one more yr. I know a lot of people ask "why do we wait one more year?" Well ... my thinking is this .... you go and get him a true #1 WR in Watkins. You fill needs to shore up the OL and finish your defense. You draft a young QB in this draft to groom (there are some good ones going into mid rd's this yr) Shelves are stocked and if Sam either plays like they need him too or he doesn't and next yr You go get that guy. Lots of good QB' s will be coming out next yr. too.

It would be a much better situation for either scenario. If we need to go rookie QB in 2015, at least he will be in a situation. No expiration dates or 2nd hand products on the shelf. Again ... just MHO, but that is how I would go about finishing this rebuild project.

Ram_of_Old

IMHO opinion... give him Sammy Watkins and shore up the OL and he has one more yr. I know a lot of people ask "why do we wait one more year?" Well ... my thinking is this .... you go and get him a true #1 WR in Watkins. You fill needs to shore up the OL and finish your defense. You draft a young QB in this draft to groom (there are some good ones going into mid rd's this yr) Shelves are stocked and if Sam either plays like they need him too or he doesn't and next yr You go get that guy. Lots of good QB' s will be coming out next yr. too.

It would be a much better situation for either scenario. If we need to go rookie QB in 2015, at least he will be in a situation. No expiration dates or 2nd hand products on the shelf. Again ... just MHO, but that is how I would go about finishing this rebuild project.

A good assessment I suppose, but I am hoping that he has many more years with the Rams. We need a top wideout, some OL depth and some defensive backfield help in the draft. If we put the right people around Sam, I think he will succeed. I do agree that 2014 is the year he has to show he is the man.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
A good assessment I suppose, but I am hoping that he has many more years with the Rams. We need a top wideout, some OL depth and some defensive backfield help in the draft. If we put the right people around Sam, I think he will succeed. I do agree that 2014 is the year he has to show he is the man.
I'm with ya. Sam taking the next step would be the ideal thing ... but if not get everything right for the next guy.

dodgerram

UDFA
Personally I think the Rams should look hard into drafting one of the top 3 QBs available in this draft. Bridgewater, Manziel or Bortles.
Bradford IMO has put up pedestrian numbers for 4 years now anyway you want to cut it and make excuses. After all the pro and cons he has made not enough plays and he is definetely injury prone. Missing about 25% of the games is a high number for any player.
Plus he does not produce enough in comparision to his cap number. It is insane that he will count more against the cap 2014 than Peyton, Brady or Rodgers for example.
I know he is not responsible for being the last uncapped rookie but the consequences for the Rams cap and their ability to sign free agents or retan their own guys can not be overlooked.
His cap number and his production on the field in addition to his injuries are not a good fit for the Rams.
Personally I would try to trade him (Browns were interested before, maybe Raiders who always look for vet QBs and have made good with those kind of moves in the past see Plunkett for example) and go with an experienced veteran (Ponder, Sanchez, even a last chance for Freeman) and a top rookie signal caller.

Fisher however will give him 2014 to show if he can be the QB we all want him to be and I am okay with it (cant do anything about it regardless) but I am not expecting much to be honest.

Go RAms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
If he is to replaced it will be in this draft. Not in 2 years. Yeah the Rams could take a guy at 2 and trade Bradford for less than you might think Blah, Blah Blah,
I still don't see it happening. There is no Andrew Luck in this draft. So who you going to get that's better? And are you willing to wait a couple more seasons till he gets up to speed?
The only argument that really has a slim part of validity is for cap reasons.
But do we want to win football games or impress accountants.

FRO

Legend
Sam is Matt Ryan without Julio, Roddy, and Gonzo. Put some pieces around him. He really has had poor support for 4 years.

I think it's all a moot point because it appears that Fisher is the biggest "Bradford Mom" out there. He likes Sam. Sam will be our QB for a while.

He put up a 90 QB rating, 14 TDs 4 INTs and 61% completions with a receiving corps in the top 5 in drops and no run game in 4 out of 7 starts. Try and find many QBs that would do much better.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
Sam is Matt Ryan without Julio, Roddy, and Gonzo. Put some pieces around him. He really has had poor support for 4 years.

I think it's all a moot point because it appears that Fisher is the biggest "Bradford Mom" out there. He likes Sam. Sam will be our QB for a while.

He put up a 90 QB rating, 14 TDs 4 INTs and 61% completions with a receiving corps in the top 5 in drops and no run game in 4 out of 7 starts. Try and find many QBs that would do much better.
I agree wholeheartedly. Sam was in the process of having his best season yet and this despite some awful drops and iffy blocking.

If we finally give Sam a solid o-line and our receivers actually catch the ball more consistently, there's no reason why he shouldn't be able to take us deep into the playoffs.

The caveat, obviously, is how fully he recovers from his injury.

dodgerram

UDFA
Problem that is apparent:
Bradford needs about EVERYTHING around him to be near perfect to function well.
O-line, WRs, running game, everything has to be arranged to accomadate him well.
In the time of the salary cap that is hard to achieve.

Go Rams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan

Legend
dodgerram forgetting 2013 already:
Bradford nees about EVERYTHING around him to be near perfect to function well.
O-line, WRs, running game, everything has to be arranged to accomadate him well.

I think this year disproved that contention. He was a top ten QB before his injury and we have none of those things FRO mentioned.

PhxRam

It is becoming apparent what your objective is here regarding Bradford. We get it, you don't like him. Move on.

consider this your one and only warning. .

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

As does every quarterback...

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff

I agree with this totally. Well said Sir. Myself, I give Sam until the end of his contract and see where it goes from there. Many things can be said for getting players around him (OL, WR, and etc). I'm of the ilk we need to build a better OL period. No matter if Johnny Hekker is the QB. :cool:

That said, the Rams (we) have a number 1 pick and $$$ invested in Sam. They're poised to get their ROI. Look at the stats provided here by FRO and RFIP. To give up on Sam would not be good. Just IMHO.

RamzFanz

Damnit
His issue is injuries. If he could stay healthy with this revitalised team this wouldn't be a discussion.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Sam will be QB for 2 more years, then he'll be extended . . . so I don't know exact amount, say 7