PREGAME Bears at Rams - Pregame Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So I took Stafford in my fantasy draft.

I was the last owner to draft a QB and stocked up on all other positions.

Going on faith that you all know what your talking about....and Mcvay as well.

Truth time. Let's go Stat Padford!
Wise choice in my book. You being a Ram fan you have seen , more of what this guy is capable of doing,
than your average fan. Hell before the trade, i had no clue about how good this guy is.
I wouldn't call it a homer pick. I would call it a educated pick.
The numbers WILL be there.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Does anyone else think the Cynthia Freelund stats are garbage? How does she figure them out? Are they usually right ?
It all seems homey to me.

It's literally made up. All part of "I'm a woman that knows how to talk numbers and math but I'm also a hot blonde so don't stereotype me" shtick.

It's like the PFF grades or the DVOA bullshit or whatever football outsiders thing is.

bluecoconuts

Legend
It's literally made up. All part of "I'm a woman that knows how to talk numbers and math but I'm also a hot blonde so don't stereotype me" shtick.

It's like the PFF grades or the DVOA bullshit or whatever football outsiders thing is.

She has a masters in predictive analytics, as well as her MBA she just uses her skill set in the world of sports rather than finance, research, or data science.

By virtue of being a sport her data is extremely limited and has too many variables to be counted for, but it is based on actual numbers and statistics. Nothing about her skillset is related to her gender or appearance, I think we can be better than to simply dismiss it based on that. While I don't think anyone needs to worry about her predictions too much that's more related to the unpredictability of the data vs anything she does with crunching the numbers.

She earned two masters degrees that aren't easy to obtain and figured out how to use it to get a high paying job in the NFL, you do that with your brain, not your looks.

RamWoodie

Legend
With Stafford starting and him having faced a pretty good Bear defense over the last 3 years...he and McVay should have a great scheme offensively.

We all know the 1st qtr *could* look like "preseason with starters", then the game takes shape.

I would be surprised to see a Ram blowout or the Rams eek it out. Either way...I SEE A WIN!!!

JUST ANXIOUS FOR RAM FOOTBALL!!!

Angry Ram

She has a masters in predictive analytics, as well as her MBA she just uses her skill set in the world of sports rather than finance, research, or data science.

By virtue of being a sport her data is extremely limited and has too many variables to be counted for, but it is based on actual numbers and statistics. Nothing about her skillset is related to her gender or appearance, I think we can be better than to simply dismiss it based on that. While I don't think anyone needs to worry about her predictions too much that's more related to the unpredictability of the data vs anything she does with crunching the numbers.

She earned two masters degrees that aren't easy to obtain and figured out how to use it to get a high paying job in the NFL, you do that with your brain, not your looks.

Didn't say that was the reason she got the gig (I didn't know about her degrees, ill admit).

It's the vibe she gives off. I just see someone that talks a bunch of numbers that don't lead to anything, who also looks good which goes against the stereotype. I feel that is being pushed on screen too much. Just talk football.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
She claims Kc's OL as "improved", but they haven't played together one down. How can she make that claim with no real analytics? I question all her other so called "analytics".

Card Games Fun GIF by AsmodeeGames

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I think the Rams win 34-20... and the 20 points largely coming against Rams backups. I think the Rams get out front big and ease up.

The Bears Oline looks like a mess to me and Dalton is less-than mediocre.

The Rams biggest opponent this week is overconfidence and buying into their own hype.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Didn't say that was the reason she got the gig (I didn't know about her degrees, ill admit).

It's the vibe she gives off. I just see someone that talks a bunch of numbers that don't lead to anything, who also looks good which goes against the stereotype. I feel that is being pushed on screen too much. Just talk football.

I feel ya. There's just a pretty common narrative around here when critiquing or even praising women reporters/analysts and it tends to circle more around their appearance/gender and it's not really the best of looks. I'm probably a little more sensitive to it because I've shown this forum to potential new posters and had them come back with posts that were rather unbecoming and tell me they didn't want to participate in an environment like that. Not pointing fingers at you or anything, as far as I remember it's not something I notice from you, it's just something I think we as a collective can do better at.

Her analytics are pretty simple statistics, nothing too exciting, she just plugs her numbers into her model and reads out the results. Again, just by virtue of being a sport there are so many unknown and variables that it's impossible to really have a lot of accuracy and you're probably running with a similar hit rate as the people who are just guessing based on nothing but a gut feeling.

With sports moving more into the age of analytics, moneyball, corsi, etc, the NFL probably just loves the fact they can get these percentages on screen because it makes it appear more legitimate. Personally I agree, I'd rather just stick with some football stuff.

Really the issue is the 24 hour TV cycle stuff, there's just not enough going on in the NFL to talk about it for 24 hours day after day. Even when the season is going on, there isn't enough content. For example Good Morning Football is a 30 minute to an hour long show that they stretch for three, which is why they repeat segments like a little "news" drop multiple times in an episode, just to fill some time.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
This game will be over 1am… I need to be awake 6am.

It will be worth it.
I scheduled nothing for Monday except for watching all the sports shows!! I learned long ago from a Steeler fan buddy of mine. He worked in a union shop and once the schedule came out in April he put in for vacation days following any SNF, MNF or TNF the Steelers had on the schedule. Of course it helps when you get 6 weeks vacation!!! I don't have to go that route though.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

A skill set that should respected but also not taken as the last word.

Analytics are firmly entrenched in sports, and the rest of the world, but agree that in football (as in life) there are often too many variables to be accounted for. A powerful tool but not the final answer in sports or human affairs.

Seems to me these statistical approaches work best in addressing general trends (such as use of defensive shifts in baseball). However, like all abstractions, they may fail to fully address the individual circumstances of any event. Or all of those circumstances which pile up in, say, a football game. And if key variables are unaccounted for or weighted incorrectly it can all fall apart quickly.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I scheduled nothing for Monday except for watching all the sports shows!! I learned long ago from a Steeler fan buddy of mine. He worked in a union shop and once the schedule came out in April he put in for vacation days following any SNF, MNF or TNF the Steelers had on the schedule. Of course it helps when you get 6 weeks vacation!!! I don't have to go that route though.
That's first off an excellent idea , and second, a true fan of the game.
Also helps me realize I am not alone. :beer2:

Angry Ram

I feel ya. There's just a pretty common narrative around here when critiquing or even praising women reporters/analysts and it tends to circle more around their appearance/gender and it's not really the best of looks. I'm probably a little more sensitive to it because I've shown this forum to potential new posters and had them come back with posts that were rather unbecoming and tell me they didn't want to participate in an environment like that. Not pointing fingers at you or anything, as far as I remember it's not something I notice from you, it's just something I think we as a collective can do better at.

Her analytics are pretty simple statistics, nothing too exciting, she just plugs her numbers into her model and reads out the results. Again, just by virtue of being a sport there are so many unknown and variables that it's impossible to really have a lot of accuracy and you're probably running with a similar hit rate as the people who are just guessing based on nothing but a gut feeling.

There are plenty of women in the biz that come off as people who you can hang out with. Jourdan Rodrigue, Lindsay Rhodes, Maria Taylor, Jane Slater (if you gave her a follow with the Cowboy drama last year that was some fantastic stuff), Stephania Bell with the fantasy football. Even Dani does great at her tennis and fantasy shows. Not a single one of them come off across as the hot chick that tries way too hard to show she knows sports and numbers. For me its the same thing with the men. When I see the PFF guys talk about random shit. PASS.

And don't even get me started on sideline reporters. Male or female. I don't think any of them add anything of value to the game.

With sports moving more into the age of analytics, moneyball, corsi, etc, the NFL probably just loves the fact they can get these percentages on screen because it makes it appear more legitimate. Personally I agree, I'd rather just stick with some football stuff.

Really the issue is the 24 hour TV cycle stuff, there's just not enough going on in the NFL to talk about it for 24 hours day after day. Even when the season is going on, there isn't enough content. For example Good Morning Football is a 30 minute to an hour long show that they stretch for three, which is why they repeat segments like a little "news" drop multiple times in an episode, just to fill some time.

Yeah there's definitely a TMZ-like entertainment vibe since the NFL has gone mainstream in the last few years. You see that with all the pop culture references and whatnot. There's actually plenty of stuff in the NFL, you can do in-depth matchups for every game, player stories outside of Tommy boy and Patrick Mahomes, but demographics and ratings and shit y'know?