PREGAME Bears at Rams - Pregame Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
Sunday nights game should have a big TV rating. Everyone I talk to is interested in seeing Stafford play under McVay. So the Rams need this win. In some ways its their first real game at SoFi.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I expect the Rams' defensive front to be all over Red Rocket's nuts. Only guy I like on that Bears OL is Whitehair and he's gonna have AD in his face. Their RT Ifedi is going to need help vs Floyd all night. The Bears are in trouble up front in this one. My question is how well Long is gonna hold up, no idea there we just haven't seen enough of him to know. Hope Morris calls a sharp game with that secondary.

But I figure Dalton will be pulled by halftime and the Bears will need to put in the kid QB because of the rush. Just let him run around and use his legs.

Offensively I think the Rams are too much for Chicago. They should pull away. Only question is if they have a slow start like if the ground game isn't there early and maybe Stafford has to settle in a bit. But even if that happens I expect our offense to roll. And if the defense is getting three and outs this could be a blowout of Chicago IMO.

Sold! :pointup:This is the game I want to see.

:D

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Bears rule Eddie Goldman out for opener (Goldman was a Pro Bowl alternate in 2019)​

Bears rule Eddie Goldman out, elevate 2 from the practice squad to face the Rams​

The Chicago Bears have made some roster moves in advance of their game against the Los Angeles Rams.
1631393462852.png

On Saturday the Chicago Bears made an adjustment to their injury report for their Sunday night contest against the Los Angeles Rams by downgrading nose tackle Eddie Goldman from doubtful to out. They also elevated inside linebacker Josh Woods and defensive tackle Damion Square from the practice squad to the active roster.

Just like last year, teams can call up two practice squadders before 3:00 p.m. (CT) the day before a game to give them a 55-man roster. On game day each team can keep 48 players active, as long as at least eight of those are offensive linemen, but if not then they can only dress 47 players.

Woods’ experience in the third phase — he played 60% of the Bears special teams reps in 2020 — makes him a good candidate to dress on Sunday night.

With the Bears down to just Akiem Hicks, Bilal Nichols, Angelo Blackson, and rookie Khyiris Tonga along their defensive line, I’d imagine they also activate the 6’2”, 293 pound Square who has appeared in 91 games, with 24 starts, in his NFL career.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

3 Keys to Winning for the Rams against the Bears​

The Los Angeles Rams begin their 2021 regular season hosting the Chicago Bears on Sunday Night Football at SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, Calif. Kickoff is scheduled for 5:20 p.m. pacific time on NBC.

Ahead of the game, theRams.com examines 3 Keys to Winning for the Rams, presented by The Wallace Firm:

1) Don't let Bears running back David Montgomery get into a rhythm.

As Rams defensive coordinator Raheem Morris alluded to in his press conference last week, Montgomery authored a strong finish to his second NFL season, rushing for seven of his eight rushing touchdowns and nearly 600 of his 1070 yards across Weeks 12-17 in 2020. That rushing yardage total landed him in a tie with the Jaguars' James Robinson for fifth-most in the NFL last year.

One of those performances included rushing 32 times for 146 yards and a pair of touchdowns against the Vikings in Week 15.

Keeping Montgomery in check and force the Bears offense in to a one-dimensional – as in, pass-heavy – approach will go a long way to securing a victory Sunday night.

2) Maximize opportunities in the run game.

This one's important for a couple reasons.

Number one, it helps the Ram have a balanced approach and not over-rely on quarterback Matthew Stafford's arm. Number two, the Bears ranked in the middle of the pack in the NFL (15th, to be exact) in rushing yards allowed per game last year at 113.4, so there should be some chances.

And much like offenses throughout the league, an efficient and effective run game opens up play-action opportunities in the passing game, which can generate explosive plays through the air.

3) Smooth execution defensively.

The Rams had multiple departures on the defensive side of the ball in free agency. While they still return multiple key pieces from last year's No. 1-ranked unit – including defensive linemen Aaron Donald and Sebastian Joseph-Day, cornerbacks Jalen Ramsey and Darious Williams and safety Jordan Fuller – it will take a group effort to ensure things operate smoothly.

A big piece to that is Fuller, who is expected to replace John Johnson III as the on-field defensive signal-caller. Fuller has a lot of poise and maturity for a second-year player, but will also need the support of his teammates.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Rams would be smart to have Jalen Ramsey shadow Allen Robinson​

There are several reasons the Los Angeles Rams acquired Jalen Ramsey from the Jaguars in 2019, but one of his biggest strengths is his ability to match up with elite receivers on a weekly basis. We saw him do a lot of that last season, all but taking away DK Metcalf, DeAndre Hopkins, Terry McLaurin and several others when tasked with covering them.

Allen Robinson beat him for one catch – a 42-yarder – in the Rams’ win over the Bears last year, but other than that, Robinson wasn’t a huge factor in the game. The Rams hope that’ll be the case again on Sunday night, but their plan for Robinson is still to be determined.

Raheem Morris said on Thursday that Ramsey won’t follow Robinson around and shadow him throughout the game, trusting that Darious Williams and David Long Jr. will be able to handle the talented receiver in coverage when those matchups arise.

“You know, you’re talking about Allen Robinson, a premier receiver in this league for a long time. He does some things very, very well. He’s a great isolation player. He’s a great player in third down,” Morris said. “He has been a great player for a long time on two different teams now and having the luxury of being able to play – if you want to look at it that way – he’s one of those guys you have to prepare for and you know he’s going to move around. They’re going to try to get him the ball in his hands, particularly in the third-down situations, particularly in situations when you’ve got to have it.

“It’s nice to have a player like a Jalen Ramsey to be able to have a got-to-have-it player on defense that you can match up with him. Not to say that he would follow him around the whole game or anything like that, but there will be times that they’ll have matchups. There will be times where he’ll be with Darious Williams and there’ll be times he’ll be on D-Long. And I’ve got a lot of confidence in all those guys holding up their end of the bargain.”

Morris wasn’t going to give away the Rams’ game plan anyway, but it would be foolish of them not to use Ramsey on Robinson for most of the game. The Bears’ other receivers are Darnell Mooney, Marquise Goodwin, Breshad Perriman and Damiere Byrd.

That’s not exactly the most threatening group of wideouts, though Mooney is an up-and-coming player for Chicago.

If the Rams can essentially take Robinson away, Andy Dalton will be left with an underwhelming group of receiving targets. Goodwin and Mooney can make plays down the field, but they aren’t players Williams can’t handle in coverage.

As Morris said, Robinson will be a go-to player on third down and in obvious passing situations. That’s when it’ll be paramount for Ramsey to be lined up across from him – or at least on his side of the field if the Rams are in zone. They can’t let Robinson beat them, especially knowing they have the ultimate eraser in Ramsey.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Bears will try to get Robinson on Long. Hope Long is ready to show what he can do.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Bears will be without Eddie Goldman tomorrow. Hurt his knee in practice earlier in the week.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Just in case your wondering......

Alyssa is the managing editor for BearsWire.com, which covers the Chicago Bears for USA Today Sports Media Group.

Let's hope he doesn't enter the game because these Rams have historically had a hard time beating the back up qbs when they enter a game with the result in the balance.

dang

Legend
Damn, I wish they wouldn't use Jake Funk to return kicks as mentioned today (either punts or kick off's).

For any that might not already know this, Jake had his 2 knee injuries (ACL), same knee I understand.....in college, not on the field as a running back, receiver or blocker, but BOTH TIMES returning kicks!!

Now please someone tell me why it's a good idea to use him returning kicks?.....EVER????
#1 reason is he is a 7th round draft pick who is filling an RB3 role due to injuries. He is being given a chance to contribute where he is most needed. No room for redshirts on this roster.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Re: slot corner I think they will be moved around depending on where they want Jalen. So he'll probably be slot again vs teams with that threat and also vs strong run teams since he's like an ILB out there.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
So we're activating Lawler and Tyler hall...

Interestingly Tyler Hall has a pretty good kick returner at Wyoming..had a couple of TDS