Barksdale update

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

lockdnram21

Legend
Demetrius Rhaney the Dark Horse
Exerpted from: College 2 Pro

C2P - What is your best quality at your position?
DR - At the center position, I feel my best quality is my speed and being able to climb to the second level to get hands on linebackers and being able to reach 2 and 3 tech defensive tackles. Also, I feel another quality that I have is how aggressive I play and the fight I have in me to always win.

C2P - What offense/defense did you play mostly in college?
DR - I played in both spread and a pro style offense running inside and outside zone.

C2P - What will be your biggest adjustment moving forward?
DR - Adapting and playing to the tempo of the NFL game. I know the competition will be a lot bigger and faster than in college, and I look forward to the adjustment.

C2P - What pro player would you remind us most of with your style of play?
DR - I would say Alex Mack. He's not the biggest player but he gets the job done on both run and pass plays and he can also get out front on screens and make an impact, and those are the things that I believe I do well with.

C2P - How many positions can you play or have played?
DR - I have played all positions on the offensive line. My freshman year at Ellsworth Community College, I started all eleven games at right tackle. My sophomore year, I moved to right guard and started all eleven games. I then transferred to Tennessee State and started at right guard for eleven games. Coming into the spring of my senior season, I made an adjustment to play center and started all fourteen games into the playoffs.

C2P – The system you played in college. Is there an NFL team that comes to mind that resembles in the most?
DR - There isn't a system that just pops out, but I know where ever I land I will work hard as possible to do whatever it takes to help my team win whether its at Center, Guard, Tackle, Special teams or just on the sideline taking mental reps and being ready to step in.

C2P - What makes you unique to another player at the same position? DR - My speed and the fight I have in me to never loose. I can pull, get out front on screens, win the one on one battle at the line of scrimmage, take control of the offensive line and be a guy that the rest of my teammates can depend on.

C2P – What is your most memorable play in your college career?
DR - My junior year playing in the Southern Heritage Classic against Jackson State running an outside zone; I got out front to lead the play and decleated the safety and our running back Trabis Ward took it all the way for about sixty yards, instead of the team running to him for the celebration they ran to me. It was pretty neat.

C2P - What other schools showed interest in your leaving high school? DR - Leaving high school, I was not highly recruited. I am used to being the underdog for whatever reason that comes along and working my way to the top. I was offered by a few Division 1 AA Colleges and signed to Alabama A&M but I was not cleared by the clearing house, and I needed to a JR College in Iowa to pursue my dream of playing football.

C2P - If you are small school prospect. Why do you feel you slipped through the cracks coming out of high school? I would say because my high school wasn't a powerhouse football program in Florida, so there wasn't many college scouts coming to our school. Although, my senior year, we went to the second round playoffs and lost to Dywer High School.

For NFL Scouts

C2P - Have you ever been arrested or have a criminal record?
DR - I was arrested once when I was thirteen years old for getting into a fight at the basketball court.

C2P - Where you a team captain in college?
DR - Yes, my senior year spring 2013, I was voted by the coaches to be a captain.

C2P - Are you married, engaged or single?
DR - Single

C2P - Have you ever belonged to a gang?
DR - No

C2P - How many games did you miss due to injury (College)?
DR - None, I have never missed a college game at Ellsworth Community College or Tennessee State.

C2P – How many concussions have you had or known of?
DR - I have never had a concussion.

C2P - How many games did you start?
DR - I started every year so I would say about 47 games.

C2P – What’s your 40 time, vertical jump, and short shuttle?
DR - I ran my 40 in 4.9 second a 4.7 short shuttle and a 29.5 verticle jump

C2P – When is your Pro Day and where?
DR -March 20th, Tennessee State, Nashville, TN

C2P – Pro Day results if you have already performed the drills?
DR - 40 4.92 4.96; 29 Vert, 9 2 broad, 4.72 short shuttle, 7.59 3 cone

DRAFT ANALYSIS:

STRENGTHS Very good quickness, agility and balance. Gets into blocks quickly and keeps battling through the whistle (see fourth play of second quarter vs. Bethune when loses helmet). Runs his feet on contact. Good lower-body power. Can wall off and seal short areas. Efficient working up a level. Solid anchor in pass protection.
WEAKNESSES Average arm length and overall athletic ability. Could do a better job gauging his power on the move and connecting with moving targets.

DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 5-6

BOTTOM LINE A compactly built, light-footed pivot who elevated his draft standing after clocking sub-5.0 40 times at his pro-day workout. Has the size, power and agility to eventually compete for a starting job.

I wonder if Rhaney is being considered at guard? He certainly adds depth at center and guard. He maybe could even fill in at RT, but having only 32 inch arm length does not bode well for tackle. Rhaney is a small school guy who mostly slipped off the radar, but the Rams did seem to really like him prior to his being injured.

What a huge bonus it would be for both Jones and Rhaney to pan out. Tim Barnes does not thrill me, and may not make the final cut.
If Rhaney plays anything like Alex mack I would be happy

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
:oops:
Sorry about that. I was typing quickly and didn't notice. Yes, I like Tennesee st lol
images

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would love for the Rams to have another Tom Mack on the team!!!!

OG's like Tom Mack do not fall out of trees as you know you have to draft them high & fast.
Selected by the Los Angeles Rams in the 1st round of the 1966 NFL Draft

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Man, have we bought and drank the cool aid. Owners make BILLIONS, only league without guarantee contracts and now refuse to install side line cameras to improve the game. They have persuaded us to celebrate cheap-skating players at every step.

As fans, I do not believe we are all that knowing.

Sorry for the rant. Have at me.
So you like April's horse picture from this years horse calendar?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
OG's like Tom Mack do not fall out of trees as you know you have to draft them high & fast.
I was in Viet Nam at the Time, so I had other things on my mind other than the Draft!:)

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
....Really? o_O
Yeah. I know it's weird. But I saw them play once and I liked their colors. Also, have you ever watched a show called Blue Mountain State? They looked a lot like them and I thought it was cool.
image.jpg

image.jpg

And yes, before you say it I know Boise State is way closer in color but I hate that damn blue field. Idk what it is, but it bothers me.

Memphis Ram

Legend

Probably won't fly much on a Rams message board, but I'd like the guys sitting next to him in the Hall of Fame with MULTIPLE Super Bowl rings like:

Larry Little (Undrafted free agent in 1967)
Larry Allen (2nd Round 1994 Draft)
Russ Grimm (3rd Round 1981 Draft)

Or maybe even this year's Hall of Fame Inductee Will Shields (3rd Round 1993 Draft).

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
If Memphis had it his way the draft would start in rd 4, that way nobody is reaching :whistle:

:fighting:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Probably won't fly much on a Rams message board, but I'd like the guys sitting next to him in the Hall of Fame with MULTIPLE Super Bowl rings like:

Or maybe even this year's Hall of Fame Inductee Will Shields (3rd Round 1993 Draft).

I don't mean to be picky but you just posted on this thread about even a first round Pro Bowl Guard doesn't make enough of an impact to make you think Guard is ever a value in round1 didnt you?

I'd take all three too....in the first round, throw in Hutchinson and a few more.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
When the CBA is being negotiated I'm a big advocate of more going to the players. But given the existence of the salary cap, when actual salaries are being negotiated it is in the team's competitive interest to pay a particular player less, leaving more to sign other players.

But yes, players should get a larger percentage of overall revenues. The owners make a huge, basically guaranteed profit, and have fun doing so. I mean, everything else being equal, would you rather own a series of office buildings or a NFL team?

In the past the best teams were able to continue to dominate by luring the best FAs. I don't think that would be as easy as it used to be even with no cap.

I think players make enough money. They aren't brain surgeons. They aren't protecting out freedom. They are saving lives. Yet they are paid more than any of those jobs except maybe the surgeon, but even the surgeon if they are star QBs and such.

I'd argue that much, much more money should go to retirement and health insurance and rehab programs for veteran players.if you get into congress you make that money for the rest of your life. Most politicians are horrible. Town cops make nearly their entire salary in retirement often. NFL retirement is pathetic in comparison. A lot of these guys bodies are broken by the time they are done. They need more support for what they sacrificed.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

And I'd like future HOFers with rings like...

Kurt Warner (Undrafted free agent in 1994)
Tom Brady (6th Round 2000 Draft)
Brett Favre (2nd Round 1991 Draft)
Drew Brees (2nd Round 2001 Draft)

Bad news is that it is insanely unlikely that you find a guy like that at all...much less later in the draft.

Memphis Ram

Legend
If Memphis had it his way the draft would start in rd 4, that way nobody is reaching :whistle:

Round 4? No further reach then this reply, IMO.:p

On a side note:
Interestingly enough, by not spending a 1st rounder on Little the Dolphins were able to select HOF QB Bob Griese in 1967 first round. The Redskins were able to select 12 year vet OT Mark May in the 1981 1st Round. In 1993 the Chiefs were able to deal their 1st rounder for Joe Montana, safety David Whitmore & a 3rd rounder the following season (Shields). And the only 1st round bust in the group was Cowboys 1st Rounder Shante Carver the year Larry Allen was selected.

And I'd like future HOFers with rings like...

Kurt Warner (Undrafted free agent in 1994)
Tom Brady (6th Round 2000 Draft)
Brett Favre (2nd Round 1991 Draft)
Drew Brees (2nd Round 2001 Draft)

Bad news is that it is insanely unlikely that you find a guy like that at all...much less later in the draft.

And QBs have what to do with this topic??o_O

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend
I don't mean to be picky but you just posted on this thread about even a first round Pro Bowl Guard doesn't make enough of an impact to make you think Guard is ever a value in round1 didnt you?

I'd take all three too....in the first round, throw in Hutchinson and a few more.

I'm not a Pro Bowl measuring stick person as there are quite a few popularity contest Pro Bowlers not in the Hall of Fame.

Besides, aren't I the same person that was championing the potential selection of Chance Warmack for the Rams just a couple years back? And even Hutchinson & Faneca when they came out?

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm not a Pro Bowl measuring stick person as there are quite a few popularity contest Pro Bowlers not in the Hall of Fame.

Besides, aren't I the same person that was championing the potential selection of Chance Warmack for the Rams just a couple years back? And even Hutchinson & Faneca when they came out?

Me either. Lets say All Pro or Hall of Famer. And yes you wanted Warmack, so did I. But now you seem to have changed your tune.' No guards are worthy of a round 1 pick' goes against taking Warmack. I am just trying to figure out which one you believe. Seems like a juxtaposition of sorts is all.

I still say if a guard is rated higher than any other player on your board you take him. Also guards should not be devalued by points because of there position. Remember it was Martins first year. He may have just scratched the surface. He could be another Hutchinson. You yourself said that rookies have a learning curve.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In the past the best teams were able to continue to dominate by luring the best FAs. I don't think that would be as easy as it used to be even with no cap.

I think players make enough money. They aren't brain surgeons. They aren't protecting out freedom. They are saving lives. Yet they are paid more than any of those jobs except maybe the surgeon, but even the surgeon if they are star QBs and such.

I'd argue that much, much more money should go to retirement and health insurance and rehab programs for veteran players.if you get into congress you make that money for the rest of your life. Most politicians are horrible. Town cops make nearly their entire salary in retirement often. NFL retirement is pathetic in comparison. A lot of these guys bodies are broken by the time they are done. They need more support for what they sacrificed.

I'd agree that more of the billions should go to retirement and health care, including long retired players. But I don't begrudge the players ginormous salaries either. They ARE the product we pay to see, after all. If the networks make a fortune selling advertising and pay the NFL for the right to show the games, then the players should get a large amount of that. I don't think any of us are giving up a Sunday afternoon to watch Kroenke do anything, after all.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Hall of Fame post right there.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Me either. Lets say All Pro or Hall of Famer. And yes you wanted Warmack, so did I. But now you seem to have changed your tune.' No guards are worthy of a round 1 pick' goes against taking Warmack. I am just trying to figure out which one you believe. Seems like a juxtaposition of sorts is all.

I still say if a guard is rated higher than any other player on your board you take him. Also guards should not be devalued by points because of there position. Remember it was Martins first year. He may have just scratched the surface. He could be another Hutchinson. You yourself said that rookies have a learning curve.

No my tune remains the same:

1) If a guard is clearly the BPA on the Rams draft board, I want the Rams to draft him. I've said this repeatedly.

2) And contrary to what may be popular belief, I little have no issue at all with the selection of non potential NFL LT type, OLineman at the bottom half of the 1st round. Teams have been able to get good value there because teams don't typically select these guys in the top half of round one.

At the same time, I can't fool myself into believing that the Rams must use their 1st (top 10 pick at that) and/or 2nd round selections this year on a non potential, LT type OLinemen in such a deep draft class at those positions.

I want BPA within reason in every round. But, we have a need filling, "OLine or Bust" crowd (who have replaced last year's "WR or Bust Group", btw) that see things otherwise.

Last edited: