Barksdale update

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Ok, for you monkey, choose one

STARTERS_____BACKUPS
LT Robinson --------Washington/Saffold
LG AJ Cann----------Bond
C Erving--------------Barnes
RG Saffold-----------Garrett Reynolds
RT D. Smith---------Barksdale

STARTERS_____BACKUPS
LT Robinson -------Washington/Saffold
LG Ali Marpet------Bond
C Erving-------------Barnes
RG Saffold----------Garrett Reynolds
RT Flowers----------Barksdale
(QB change in this one, no Hundley or Petty:oops::confused::sick:)
They Both look pretty good to me!!(y)(y)

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
STARTERS_____BACKUPS
LT Robinson ------Washington/Saffold
LG La'el Collins----Bond
C Rhaney-----------Barnes
RG Saffold---------Garrett Reynolds
RT Flowers---------Barksdale
This scares me a little " Starting two Rookies!"

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Actually, it's three rookies if you count Rhaney
I wouldn't count him as a Rookie, as such, because it's not his 1st year with the Rams and with Barnes resigned Rhaney won't start. At least not at the beginning of the season!

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Ok, for you monkey, choose one

STARTERS_____BACKUPS
LT Robinson --------Washington/Saffold
LG AJ Cann----------Bond
C Erving--------------Barnes
RG Saffold-----------Garrett Reynolds
RT D. Smith---------Barksdale

STARTERS_____BACKUPS
LT Robinson -------Washington/Saffold
LG Ali Marpet------Bond
C Erving-------------Barnes
RG Saffold----------Garrett Reynolds
RT Flowers----------Barksdale
(QB change in this one, no Hundley or Petty:oops::confused::sick:)
You are the best Champ! I like the looks of either of those. Marpet is an interesting prospect to me as well. Keep in mind that Erving could play guard too. I like the fexibility that he gives us.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
But, again you are disagreement with something that wasn't even said.:(

And as stated in other thread, Murray had a higher yards per carry average the season prior to Martin's arrival with a declining 36 year old Brian Waters (5 games) and Mackenzy Bernadeau (11 games) at Martin's current spot being the only personnel change on the OLine. And they still scored a buttload of points.

Again the difference this year had more to do with the team's re-dedication to running the football and Murray staying healthy 16 games. Not the addition of Martin.

I would argue that Martin was the reason......and was stout at the point of attack. He gave them the confidence to slam it down other teams throats.....and although he can play right tackle. ....he is already an elite tackle.

Go Rams......... ;)

Memphis Ram

Legend
I would argue that Martin was the reason......and was stout at the point of attack. He gave them the confidence to slam it down other teams throats.....and although he can play right tackle. ....he is already an elite tackle.

Go Rams......... ;)

But, they had decided to go that route before they even drafted Martin due to Romo's injuries and how the prior gameplan wasn't working the overall team concept (even though they were scoring lots of points). BTW, I wouldn't say that he's an elite tackle. That's pretty high praise. Too high.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I tried to say he wasn't that good. Now u can see nobody wants him

He didn't play well this past season but he did the pretty good the year before with Saffold next to him. That is often how Olines work out of necessity of not being able to use valuable money or cap space on a full 5 man unit. Two or three real good guys next to some scrubs elevates the play of the scrubs. That is why I want Blalock in there somewhere, because if Saffold moves to RG they need a LG and Blalock can play next to GRob, who is still raw. Then Barksdales play elevated playing next to Saffold and you get a young center sidled with Saffold and vet Blalock and GRob with Blalock helping him out too. It is a good set up.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I agree that typically the talent SHOULD BE better during the early portions of the draft but oftentimes that simply doesn't turn out the be the case. Especially along the OLine.

Just going back to the 2013 draft class, one could argue that the best OG and OTs have been 3rd Rounder Larry Warford, 4th Rounder David Bakhtiari, and 5th Rounders Ricky Wagner & Jordan Mills.

And even if someone disagreed, they'd be hard pressed to prove that Fisher, Joeckel, Johnson, Coooper, Warmack, Pugh, Long, and Watson are and have been noticeably better impactwise (key point) at their positions. But, those were all the big names in the first couple of rounds.

Plus, I'd argue that the OLine wouldn't be an exception "potential" wise if Blalock and Barksdale (original point) were signed. Long-term investment? That doesn't matter too much for 2015 season does it? I'm not going to feel good about the season if the team places a bunch of rookies out there next year and they struggle through some growing pains and hurt the team. Are you?

"Well, they might not have done as well as a veteran might have and our QB may have taken some hits that he shouldn't have had to take, but at least long term, we are in good shape on the OLine in they pan out."

The long term doesn't mean a thing for the 2015 season. Team needs can change yearly via injuries, free agency, or the unexpected development of other young players. Besides, some of the so-called long term investments elsewhere have contracts that expire shortly. So how long-term are they really?

Good points but you always say that this years draft is not about this year. I hope they take one or two OLineme even if they don't start.

I am wondering if Fisher didn't move his playoff plan back a year. The line is a glaring weakness. The QB is not really settled because Foles contract is up. The receiver picture is cloudy and they are tweaking the defense. Now I am sure he would be happy with a playoff run but I think it is obvious that he doesn't have the team completely set to make a long run of several playoff appearances over a 5 year span. The three year plan is taking more than his three years, but losing Sam put a hurting on that plan and losing Williams in year one hurt it all too.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If the Rams do take 2 or 3 Olinemen early, and sign Joe, and Blalock the depth on the Oline will look so much better than it has in years. Even if they only take a guard and ORT/Guard it will be a big improvement.

Getting Barnes back could mean a few things in my mind. Either they don't like the Centers in the draft enough to commit to doing what it takes to draft one, or they just want insurance in case they don't get one(which to me means they are not committed to any of them.) And they have decided to stop pursuing Wisneiwski because he wants too much money.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
But, they had decided to go that route before they even drafted Martin due to Romo's injuries and how the prior gameplan wasn't working the overall team concept (even though they were scoring lots of points). BTW, I wouldn't say that he's an elite tackle. That's pretty high praise. Too high.
Oops yeah meant elite guard....lol my bad.

Go Rams........... ;)

lockdnram21

Legend
He didn't play well this past season but he did the pretty good the year before with Saffold next to him. That is often how Olines work out of necessity of not being able to use valuable money or cap space on a full 5 man unit. Two or three real good guys next to some scrubs elevates the play of the scrubs. That is why I want Blalock in there somewhere, because if Saffold moves to RG they need a LG and Blalock can play next to GRob, who is still raw. Then Barksdales play elevated playing next to Saffold and you get a young center sidled with Saffold and vet Blalock and GRob with Blalock helping him out too. It is a good set up.
Barksdale didn't play well vs the division either year

Memphis Ram

Legend
Good points but you always say that this years draft is not about this year. I hope they take one or two OLineme even if they don't start.

And I believe that wholeheartedly. And this is why I don't like the idea of banking on rookies to fill starting positions. Hey, if they can beat out a veteran, then great. But, to draft a kid and automatically give him the starting gig in attempt to fill a hole is a mistake, IMO.

The hole may have been filled with the body, but if the kid isn't playing well, or doesn't get up to speed quickly (or ever), has the need really been filled?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
And I believe that wholeheartedly. And this is why I don't like the idea of banking on rookies to fill starting positions. Hey, if they can beat out a veteran, then great. But, to draft a kid and automatically give him the starting gig in attempt to fill a hole is a mistake, IMO.

The hole may have been filled with the body, but if the kid isn't playing well, or doesn't get up to speed quickly (or ever), has the need really been filled?

Well sometimes you don't have a choice and even then 'correct me if I'm wrong' you were behind such an instant emphatically. We were happy with drafting Gregg Robinson and getting him on the line since the line was in such bad shape. How would it be any different if they take another first or second round Olinemen and they end up starting? I really don't think one quality rookie would really be a downgrade from what we got from Davin Joseph or Scott Wells.

MauiRam

Rookie
I think Rhaney will be a big suprise this year. I really liked him coming out of college.

Demetrius Rhaney the Dark Horse
Exerpted from: College 2 Pro

C2P - What is your best quality at your position?
DR - At the center position, I feel my best quality is my speed and being able to climb to the second level to get hands on linebackers and being able to reach 2 and 3 tech defensive tackles. Also, I feel another quality that I have is how aggressive I play and the fight I have in me to always win.

C2P - What offense/defense did you play mostly in college?
DR - I played in both spread and a pro style offense running inside and outside zone.

C2P - What will be your biggest adjustment moving forward?
DR - Adapting and playing to the tempo of the NFL game. I know the competition will be a lot bigger and faster than in college, and I look forward to the adjustment.

C2P - What pro player would you remind us most of with your style of play?
DR - I would say Alex Mack. He's not the biggest player but he gets the job done on both run and pass plays and he can also get out front on screens and make an impact, and those are the things that I believe I do well with.

C2P - How many positions can you play or have played?
DR - I have played all positions on the offensive line. My freshman year at Ellsworth Community College, I started all eleven games at right tackle. My sophomore year, I moved to right guard and started all eleven games. I then transferred to Tennessee State and started at right guard for eleven games. Coming into the spring of my senior season, I made an adjustment to play center and started all fourteen games into the playoffs.

C2P – The system you played in college. Is there an NFL team that comes to mind that resembles in the most?
DR - There isn't a system that just pops out, but I know where ever I land I will work hard as possible to do whatever it takes to help my team win whether its at Center, Guard, Tackle, Special teams or just on the sideline taking mental reps and being ready to step in.

C2P - What makes you unique to another player at the same position? DR - My speed and the fight I have in me to never loose. I can pull, get out front on screens, win the one on one battle at the line of scrimmage, take control of the offensive line and be a guy that the rest of my teammates can depend on.

C2P – What is your most memorable play in your college career?
DR - My junior year playing in the Southern Heritage Classic against Jackson State running an outside zone; I got out front to lead the play and decleated the safety and our running back Trabis Ward took it all the way for about sixty yards, instead of the team running to him for the celebration they ran to me. It was pretty neat.

C2P - What other schools showed interest in your leaving high school? DR - Leaving high school, I was not highly recruited. I am used to being the underdog for whatever reason that comes along and working my way to the top. I was offered by a few Division 1 AA Colleges and signed to Alabama A&M but I was not cleared by the clearing house, and I needed to a JR College in Iowa to pursue my dream of playing football.

C2P - If you are small school prospect. Why do you feel you slipped through the cracks coming out of high school? I would say because my high school wasn't a powerhouse football program in Florida, so there wasn't many college scouts coming to our school. Although, my senior year, we went to the second round playoffs and lost to Dywer High School.

For NFL Scouts

C2P - Have you ever been arrested or have a criminal record?
DR - I was arrested once when I was thirteen years old for getting into a fight at the basketball court.

C2P - Where you a team captain in college?
DR - Yes, my senior year spring 2013, I was voted by the coaches to be a captain.

C2P - Are you married, engaged or single?
DR - Single

C2P - Have you ever belonged to a gang?
DR - No

C2P - How many games did you miss due to injury (College)?
DR - None, I have never missed a college game at Ellsworth Community College or Tennessee State.

C2P – How many concussions have you had or known of?
DR - I have never had a concussion.

C2P - How many games did you start?
DR - I started every year so I would say about 47 games.

C2P – What’s your 40 time, vertical jump, and short shuttle?
DR - I ran my 40 in 4.9 second a 4.7 short shuttle and a 29.5 verticle jump

C2P – When is your Pro Day and where?
DR -March 20th, Tennessee State, Nashville, TN

C2P – Pro Day results if you have already performed the drills?
DR - 40 4.92 4.96; 29 Vert, 9 2 broad, 4.72 short shuttle, 7.59 3 cone

DRAFT ANALYSIS:

STRENGTHS Very good quickness, agility and balance. Gets into blocks quickly and keeps battling through the whistle (see fourth play of second quarter vs. Bethune when loses helmet). Runs his feet on contact. Good lower-body power. Can wall off and seal short areas. Efficient working up a level. Solid anchor in pass protection.
WEAKNESSES Average arm length and overall athletic ability. Could do a better job gauging his power on the move and connecting with moving targets.

DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 5-6

BOTTOM LINE A compactly built, light-footed pivot who elevated his draft standing after clocking sub-5.0 40 times at his pro-day workout. Has the size, power and agility to eventually compete for a starting job.

I wonder if Rhaney is being considered at guard? He certainly adds depth at center and guard. He maybe could even fill in at RT, but having only 32 inch arm length does not bode well for tackle. Rhaney is a small school guy who mostly slipped off the radar, but the Rams did seem to really like him prior to his being injured.

What a huge bonus it would be for both Jones and Rhaney to pan out. Tim Barnes does not thrill me, and may not make the final cut.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Well sometimes you don't have a choice and even then 'correct me if I'm wrong' you were behind such an instant emphatically. We were happy with drafting Gregg Robinson and getting him on the line since the line was in such bad shape. How would it be any different if they take another first or second round Olinemen and they end up starting? I really don't think one quality rookie would really be a downgrade from what we got from Davin Joseph or Scott Wells.

Sometimes you don't have a choice. But sometimes you do. IMO, if the Rams pick up Blalock and Barkdale and they are healthy, then they have a choice.

I wanted Greg Robinson and a few years back I even championed a possible selection of Chance Warmack (but no with a top 10 pick). But, I didn't want either or any rookie simply handed a starting job. I prefer these guys prove their worth and earn their positions.

In hindsight, I wouldn't think one quality rookie wouldn't be downgrade from Joseph or Well either. But, foresight reminds me that knowing who to block can be just as crucial as the execution.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Okay, I'll bite, why?
Well for one, I enjoy watching Tennesee. I saw him play for a few years. The article above explains a lot of what I saw. Thanks to @MauiRam. He gets to the second level extremely well and he's very versatile. He can play literally any position on the line. Second, last seasons injury was a bit of a fluke. He stayed healthy all throughout college and just happen to get hurt last year. I would really like to see him have a chance to start at Center. I think Snisher likes him too. I'm definetely not an expert but that's pretty much why I liked him.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well for one, I enjoy watching Tennesee. I saw him play for a few years.

Just some clarification??? You enjoy watching Tennessee? Well, Rhaney went to Tennessee State, so do you enjoy watching Tennessee or Tennessee State?

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Just some clarification??? You enjoy watching Tennessee? Well, Rhaney went to Tennessee State, so do you enjoy watching Tennessee or Tennessee State?
:oops:
Sorry about that. I was typing quickly and didn't notice. Yes, I like Tennesee st lol