Barksdale update

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
Who else better is still available? Start a rookie? We need a players that will protect Foles from the first snap of game 1. If Barks is the best bet, get 'er done.

lockdnram21

Legend
Or maybe we get lucky and Davin Joseph made Barks look like such utter crap, we can get a solid RT back on the super cheap.

I mean......Joseph really is one of the worst OGs I've seen play the position for the Rams at least since Bradford was drafted. That's really saying something when Barry the Turnstile Richardson is also on that list.
I don't buy that at all. He got beat like a drum. He's no good vs the division. I would rather draft a Rt

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I don't buy that at all. He got beat like a drum. He's no good vs the division. I would rather draft a Rt
WELL MAYBE YOU SHOULD FUCKING PLAY RIGHT TACKLE WOULD THAT BE GOOD ENOUGH!?
Seriously though, I like Barks. But we could do better. And this year I really expect nothing less then excellence from this team.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
I'm shocked by the seemingly sudden turn on Bark. He was rough against the pass last year but was pretty solid against it last year. I blame Davin a lot for that. The guy is one of the best run blockers in the league at his spot, provides consistency on the line, is consistently healthy, and could come back to us at a pretty reasonable price it seems. I would love to have him back and shore up the line before the draft.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
This thread is rivaling the "lemon vs jelly donuts debate". Jesus. H. Christ.
Enough already.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
I'm shocked by the seemingly sudden turn on Bark. He was rough against the pass last year but was pretty solid against it last year. I blame Davin a lot for that. The guy is one of the best run blockers in the league at his spot, provides consistency on the line, is consistently healthy, and could come back to us at a pretty reasonable price it seems. I would love to have him back and shore up the line before the draft.

I meant the year before last year. Two years ago. My bad.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I honestly believe that Barksdale didn't look bad until he was put next to Davin Joseph. The year before when he was next to Saffold, they both looked like Pro-bowlers to me.

So just resign Barksdale, move Saffold back to RG and sign Blalock for LG (for basically one year), then draft you guard of the future in the 2nd/3rd round and you're set.

thehammer

Rookie
IMO trying to explain Barksdales poor play last year because he was playing next to Joseph is pretty weak....he struggled with speed all season in pass pro....doubt Joseph was the reason

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
IMO trying to explain Barksdales poor play last year because he was playing next to Joseph is pretty weak....he struggled with speed all season in pass pro....doubt Joseph was the reason

I would normally agree but two things come to mind. He played better the year before when he played next to Saffold. And I recall when Incognito was next to Goldberg and his game suffered because of it.

That still does not make Barksdale good. I think he is below average but he looked about league average the year before, he should be able to play to that level again.

I think the Rams should sign him and bring in some competition. Barksdale can be good insurance and if they give him a one or two year deal, he could compete with the rookie. Maybe this experience causes him to work harder to prove to the league that he is more like 2013 Barksdale. If it doesn't then the rookie should easily unseat him.

It would be good insurance.

Alan

Legend
thehammer nailing it (see what I did there?:LOL:):
I agree with that hammer but I also think that if a player isn't all that quick on the draw in the first place and he has to be worried/prepared for the inside pass rush more than normal because he knows that Joseph won't be there for him it can slow his reaction time just enough that it really affects his ability to respond to the outside speed rush. While his reaction time has never been great, I don't think he suddenly got any slower last year and the only thing that changed was the subtraction of Saffold and the addition of Joseph. I'm not saying that it's necessarily true but it fits some of the facts so...I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand.

Last edited:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Dammit, it's Bavarian creme! BAVARIAN CREME! WITH CHOCOLATE ON TOP!

:p

(But seriously, it blows both lemon filling and lemon jelly out of the water.)

Alan

Legend
Lemon filling and lemon jelly set a pretty low bar as far as taste goes so...

Just sayin'.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I agree with that hammer but I also think that if a player isn't all that quick on the draw in the first place and he has to be worried/prepared for the inside pass rush more than normal because he knows that Joseph won't be there for him it can slow his reaction time just enough that it really affects his ability to respond to the outside speed rush. While his reaction time has never been great, I don't think he suddenly got any slower last year and the only thing that changed was the subtraction of Saffold and the addition of Joseph. I'm not saying that it's necessarily true but it fits some of the facts so...I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand.
I tend to agree with you on this. We all know the oline is a unit. They are suppose to a as a unit, not every man for himself.
If the guy next to you is struggling, your going to have that in your head at all times.

Barks is only 26. He may still improve his pass pro. He doesn't have to be great at it. Solid would be nice.
He is a beast at run blocking. Just ask Tre Mason. His largest play of the year was from Bazzoka Joe blowing guys up.

I want him back. I'm not ready to give him a 5 year deal with a ton of guaranteed money, but for the next year or two to further develop him.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Dammit, it's Bavarian creme! BAVARIAN CREME! WITH CHOCOLATE ON TOP!

:p

(But seriously, it blows both lemon filling and lemon jelly out of the water.)
Absolutely.
Bavarian Cream is the ROD filling of choice.
If not, it should be.