Barksdale Negotiations have Begun

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I'd (try) and sign him to a 3 year contract, $16m with $7m guaranteed - this should give us enough $$ left to secure a C and OG

lockdnram21

Legend
If we do resign big Joe, it is imperative that we move Saffold to RG. I don't want a rookie guard in there that may require the RT to provide cover for the inevitable protection breakdowns that come with 1st year players. Of course if we sign Blalock, Saffold will in all likelihood move anyway.
I would rather put a rookie next to him then Robinson on Left side. If he can't handle it with a good rookie he don't need to be there

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
His wife sure did pick a good time to marry him.. :whistle:
And she is also the reason No Contract has been signed yet!.. Had to have a Honeymoon.. who ever heard of such a thing!..:love:.. BAH! HUM-BUG!..She needs to learn to set his priorities..:LOL:!!

paceram

Pro Bowler
And she is also the reason No Contract has been signed yet!.. Had to have a Honeymoon.. who ever heard of such a thing!..:love:.. BAH! HUM-BUG!..She needs to learn to set his priorities..:LOL:!!

I have to say I really do think Mrs. Barksdale is pretty inconsiderate! To think she could be having fun on her Honeymoon while us Rams Fans are back home being miserable until HER & her Husband decide on their team! But, in all honesty - I do wish they would make their decision SOON!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I would rather put a rookie next to him then Robinson on Left side. If he can't handle it with a good rookie he don't need to be there

A good rookie would be fine as the left or Right Guard IMO. It would have to be a top Guard though, like Scherf. But that is why Blalock would be a great signing. He knows Boudreau and what he wants his linemen to do. He is a LG and could help GRob until the rookie is up to speed.

So if the Rams only sign Blalock they could have a vet at both Guard spots to coach rookies. If they get Blalock and either Barksdale or Wiz then it is all the better.

Blalock should be the cheapest signing and to me the highest priority. Then one of the others would be gravy on top.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
if Snisher fucks this up I swear. we have THREE starting roles to fill. stop dicking around and start hitting them hard. we don't have the luxury of seeing how this all plays out and 'make due'. they completely half-assed it last year assuming that paper thin line was good enough. you can't put two rookies on the line this year straight out of the draft. I'm fed up with this situation every year. yea FA isn't over but when it is and the draft is and if our line still looks pathetic then I'll lose faith in Snisher.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the line start off as Long / Saffold / Wells / Joseph / Barksdale, then remain that way until Robinson got his first start in the San Francisco MNF game, at which point Saffold moved to RG, then in the third game with Saffold at RG (Kansas City) Long got injured, so Joseph came back in as RG. So all in all he played next to Saffold for 2.5 games.

Best I can recall here is Saffold started the season as the starting Left OG next to Jake Long. Saffold started four games @ OLG until wk 6 when Saffold started @ ORG for four straight games. Wk 6 is when Greg Robinson made his first start @ OLG.

Saffold started officially 12 games @ OLG & 4 games @ ORG. Saffold missed about a half of a game in KC & ended the season playing about a half a game @ OLT for the injured Greg Robinson in Seattle.

I sure did not see any difference in the play of Barksdale with either Saffold or Joseph next to him. Barksdale is certainly consistent in his play no matter who plays next to him. It has been posted on here that having Saffold playing next to him would improve his play against those speed rushers...but I will poo poo that real quick. Saffold is one very good OG no matter where you play him. Joseph was one very poor playing OG.

I will agree here that teams sure found our weakness in the interior OL right between Wells & ORG Joseph. Neither could contain much of anything. Now JB did not help much either cause he failed on his outside right shoulder responsibility as much as Wells & Joseph did. But that was a sickly mess on going on that right side of the OL when Wells-Joseph & Barksdale were in full fail mode.

Now with a new OC..... what would help Barksdale more on these pass plays is having a LOS TE playing more often next to his right where that TE is required to chip those incoming speed quick rushers a bit so it can give Barksdale time so he can get his big hands on them.....now when that happens Barksdale usually wins. Not always but most of the time Barksdale is also weak in those double moves too.

Sad thing here is JB is not a finished product here even @ 27 yrs old. JB must work hard on his technique & skills to handle these speed rushers that teams will throw against him on a regular basis. Until he gets better JB is a serious liability in this offense. But in the past JB has gotten very little help coming from the LOS TE, thanks Shotty.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
A good rookie would be fine as the left or Right Guard IMO. It would have to be a top Guard though, like Scherf. But that is why Blalock would be a great signing. He knows Boudreau and what he wants his linemen to do. He is a LG and could help GRob until the rookie is up to speed. So if the Rams only sign Blalock they could have a vet at both Guard spots to coach rookies. If they get Blalock and either Barksdale or Wiz then it is all the better. Blalock should be the cheapest signing and to me the highest priority. Then one of the others would be gravy on top.

We saw a 2014 active Bou game plan take place last season when they selected the very young & inexperienced Greg Robinson. Bou worked GR inside & outside on the left side. Now many pointed this out at the conclusion of the season as why GR was rated so poorly as a rookie. I do not agree with their ratings nor their documented reasoning. I feel that that plan was good for the Rams team! I also feel it worked well for GR too.

Reason I bring this up Elmgrovegnome on your post is whomever Snead/Fisher select as their top OL'ers may run the same plan as we saw with GR. If for example if Blalock is the only UFA signing he would be a certain plug in @ LEFT OG. Depending on what OL'er is selected OT or OG they have Saffold who could slide outside @ ORT & let the new rookie play inside @ ORG (AJ Cann or a La'el Collins or a Laken Tomlinson or even TJ Clemmings).

Yes to me the UFA Blalock signing would provide Bou many options in TC & pre season. The Stefon Wisniewski signing would not be a bad one either as I have said I would look to plug Wisniewski in @ OLG myself so I could get the same effect as we could get with the Blalock signing. I think just happen to think that Wisniewski is a better OLG than OC but that's just me. The thing with Wisniewski is if the Rams have total failure with Barrett Jones or Rhaney or Tim Barnes then he can move inside to OC post to help stabilize it.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Remember Saffold can play RT if Barks doesnt resign with the Rams. I would prefer he play OG, but he is capable of playing any of the 4 non center positions and he had his shoulder worked on this off season so he should be at the best health wise we have seen since he became a Ram. Saffold gives the Rams some flexability as far as FA and draft.

Saffold can't stay healthy more than a game or two playing tackle for some reason and while he is a OK tackle the short time he can play there he is an ELITE guard when hes playing that position. I would really rather not go into the season expecting saffold to start at RT all year.

V3

Hall of Fame
Saffold can't stay healthy more than a game or two playing tackle for some reason and while he is a OK tackle the short time he can play there he is an ELITE guard when hes playing that position. I would really rather not go into the season expecting saffold to start at RT all year.
Saffold couldn't stay healthy at OG, either. He just played through it. I no longer trust Saffold's health at any position.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
We saw a 2014 active Bou game plan take place last season when they selected the very young & inexperienced Greg Robinson. Bou worked GR inside & outside on the left side. Now many pointed this out at the conclusion of the season as why GR was rated so poorly as a rookie. I do not agree with their ratings nor their documented reasoning. I feel that that plan was good for the Rams team! I also feel it worked well for GR too.

Reason I bring this up Elmgrovegnome on your post is whomever Snead/Fisher select as their top OL'ers may run the same plan as we saw with GR. If for example if Blalock is the only UFA signing he would be a certain plug in @ LEFT OG. Depending on what OL'er is selected OT or OG they have Saffold who could slide outside @ ORT & let the new rookie play inside @ ORG (AJ Cann or a La'el Collins or a Laken Tomlinson or even TJ Clemmings).

Yes to me the UFA Blalock signing would provide Bou many options in TC & pre season. The Stefon Wisniewski signing would not be a bad one either as I have said I would look to plug Wisniewski in @ OLG myself so I could get the same effect as we could get with the Blalock signing. I think just happen to think that Wisniewski is a better OLG than OC but that's just me. The thing with Wisniewski is if the Rams have total failure with Barrett Jones or Rhaney or Tim Barnes then he can move inside to OC post to help stabilize it.

Yeah Wiz would be the more versatile of the two, but also, predictably much more expensive. I look at Blalock as a better get because of the monet involved as well as the smooth transition. Plus I think he is the better player.

But yes Wiz could do what Blalock would do and give more flexibility because he could play Center. For the record I dont count on Jones as a center, since JT said the team considers him a guard. I dont count on Jones to do anything but backup actually.

The one idea that I don't like is the idea of moving Saffold back to RT. His skills are maximized as a Guard. If the Rams don't re-sign Joe, I think they have to draft a RG, preferably a scheme versatile one and to me the top target then should be La'el Collins.

Signing Two of the three targeted Olinemen would open up so many more options.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Saffold couldn't stay healthy at OG, either. He just played through it. I no longer trust Saffold's health at any position.
Yep. The sad thing here is Saffold is our best & most trusted Ram OL'er. Just shows a true BRIGHT light on just how bad the current Ram OL situation is.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
if Snisher fucks this up I swear. we have THREE starting roles to fill. stop dicking around and start hitting them hard. we don't have the luxury of seeing how this all plays out and 'make due'. they completely half-assed it last year assuming that paper thin line was good enough. you can't put two rookies on the line this year straight out of the draft. I'm fed up with this situation every year. yea FA isn't over but when it is and the draft is and if our line still looks pathetic then I'll lose faith in Snisher.
I not where you are at Robocop yet & since I have a big dislike @ paying for used up aged, declining UFA's.... I am not in panic mode yet. But if Fisher runs out another poor awful starting OL like he did in 2012-2013 & 2014....(n) I am not sure I can run with him any longer.

His mega high draft picks loaded up in the defense each & every year at the same time he has one of the strongest most experienced defensive coaches lineup in the NFL while his offense coaches are not in the same league with the defense coaches and yet he continues to purchase & spend to add & build defensive players right & left???

Looks to me & if I were in his shoes & I have a serious defensive resume myself I would turn my attention to the area that really needs it & let those experienced defensive coaches use their talent to develop some less talented players & get some offensive OL'ers with talent in that damn OL for once.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Looks to me & if I were in his shoes & I have a serious defensive resume myself I would turn my attention to the area that really needs it & let those experienced defensive coaches use their talent to develop some less talented players & get some offensive OL'ers with talent in that damn OL for once.

And that's why if Fisher fails the Next Head Coach of the Rams will be:
1386116862000-USATSI-7595809.jpg

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe I missed it, but based on the subject title I was assuming that they were working a deal.
Saying they're still interested is hardly negotiating, unless I missed something?

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
No one with our options can say we will be looking good even if we sign all three guys which is a PIPE DREAM as most of us here really know. Then having us forced to take offensive lineman 1-3 in the draft with a possible if even available trade down as we all know missing BPA in any draft is just SAD.

I will repeat after watchin Erving play center every play this last ONE season of experience with two PRO LEVEL guards on either side He just plainly struggled at times as he had his good plays and games also IN COLLEGE. Projecting his one year center skills as the best center coming out of this draft says it all about the level of centers are coming out this season. Unless another team has a better O-Line coach than coach Boo who I'm no great fan of sorry. What and who has coach Boo raised the level of ???

Fisher HATES playing rookies on the O-Line . Until I see Barrett Jones myself playing center I won't believe it or Rhaney please... If you have a QB that gets rid of the ball in 2.8 seconds you may get away with Erving as your center in the pro's . If not goodluck. Scherff was a legend playing QB at his tremendous size but he has very short arms and is sometimes too aggressive to be successfull on his blocking and he will have a transition learning how to play in the pro's and he's not as good as the guard the Cowboys drafted last season we tried to trade back into the first round and get. That player (name eludes me) was elite and was an offensive ROY canidate.

I'm not impressed with any OT coming out this year to be starting for us as our ORT much less our OLT . They will have problems with NFL speed rushers like Houston from the chiefs and the standard list that follows. We can get away with a Cann, Tomlinson,Collins or Tre' Jackson as an offensive guard. Not as high on Marpet that was this years underwear champion at the combine (lots to prove in a Major upgrade in opponent).

Obviously the free agency has cooled and settled and players and agents are now able to call a few shots. It really does'nt look good from here for us even if everything I can think of went our way. I blame fisher totally and Snead should be embarrassed. Barksdale needs to get better and play better than his 13' season. Nothing like last year at all. He can't play guard or LT so he is a one trick lineman Fisher usually wants versatility in his OL . Even with him signed and I believe we are only offering a 2 year deal so we don't get locked in on a player stuck in a position lets say Collins could take over next season and play better than Joe B. just as an example you see why there may be a hold up on a contract. We look like we are in a bind to say the least . This years draft has guards but not the tackles other years we've seen. Centers ...Meh just SMH no. I'm sure I'll be given the chicken little monicker after this post but can I pull this post after week 4?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
A good rookie would be fine as the left or Right Guard IMO. It would have to be a top Guard though, like Scherf. But that is why Blalock would be a great signing. He knows Boudreau and what he wants his linemen to do. He is a LG and could help GRob until the rookie is up to speed.

So if the Rams only sign Blalock they could have a vet at both Guard spots to coach rookies. If they get Blalock and either Barksdale or Wiz then it is all the better.

Blalock should be the cheapest signing and to me the highest priority. Then one of the others would be gravy on top.

I'm of the opinion that Coach Boudreau knows what he's doing. That what is needed is TALENT for him to work with. Not another overpaid vet on his last legs with the hope he can pass some knowledge down.

If they're gonna get a FA OL I prefer it's a young player. If not, just draft the bejeezus out of it and let our excellent OL coach do what he does.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
I'm of the opinion that Coach Boudreau knows what he's doing. That what is needed is TALENT for him to work with. Not another overpaid vet on his last legs with the hope he can pass some knowledge down.

If they're gonna get a FA OL I prefer it's a young player. If not, just draft the bejeezus out of it and let our excellent OL coach do what he does.
Merlin I'm one of your biggest fans as I've been reading your posts for decades and even look down a long thread and just read your reply over others but I just can't agree on the infamous coach Boudreau who is almost a legend , and I'm wondering after his full stint with us WHY? Who has he improved? Maybe Barksdale a little from picking him from the Raiders but he is still lacking and went backwards last year. Everyone wants to give him a pass because of playing next to Joseph and Wells who both Melted down to the wick. It was pitifull.

Read a giant thread on another board where I don't post and many are asking the same question about where have all the magic coaching skills of coach Boo gone? It may be a chicken and the egg situation but does coach Boo have to have 1st round ELITE talent to be able to groom them? How did he do with the #2 pick in the draft last season ? I know he had to have interviewed Greg Robinson many times and judged his ability to learn until we drafted Greg and all we hear about is how slow of a learner Greg really is .

How much of that falls on coach Beaudreau who had to pound the table to take Greg over the other tackles right? I'm at a no confidence level after what I've seen over ALL I've heard about THE GREAT coach Boo. Lets see it. He'll sure have his chance this year to pull a rabbit out of his arse with what we now have signed and even Sneads best and luckiest draft to get us the most Elite OLmen that might have to start for us when most posters here would love to take the BPA that would really upgrade our team the way we took Donald last year when most were not thinking that way.

From the other boards thread I'm in the majority of posters wondering where the skills of coach Boo have gone. Maybe you'll say moving Saffold to guard and having him not get hurt every game on the ground played at OT? I know he coached Blaylock at Atlanta and the Falcons did have a couple post season games they lost while Boo was there. Is that it? Sorry to be such a downer today.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

A proven OG still playing well, that played for Boudreau is fine with me for a couple of years.

1. Atlanta is switching to a zone blocking scheme that Blalock doesn't fit. They aren't letting him go because he is no longer useful.

2. If Blalock could be signed cheaper than the other two and for a shorter term, then he makes sense as a stop gap that won't hurt the cap much.

3. Even if the Rams draft a Guard Blalock could start until the new Guard is ready to. Then he is good depth

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian

I am 100% in agreement with you. A medium to bad OL has gone on way to long for the Rams. Just flippin get it done Fisher. Geez.