Bailey?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
That is the biggest insult to Ricky Proehl I have ever seen.

Bailey has great hands, better speed, and is tougher than Pettis. Pettis might be a little more saavy and have better knowledge of the game, but Bailey is the clear cut option for #3 behind Britt and Quick.

First off, let's not make Ricky Proehl more of a player than he was. He was a low volume, 3rd option WR like Pettis. I do like Bailey as the #3 WR, I'm just saying that one bad game shouldn't dismiss Pettis's game time.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I said PEttis is a better player, mind finding that for me? All I ever said is Pettis has earned his spot here and he's been doing it since longer than Bailey's been around, and that Bailey hasn't earned anything and everybody's infatuation with him already is a bit premature, especially when all they have is OMG HIS COLLEGE STATS while the guys beside him Austin and Smith are still struggling to find their mark in the NFL, so college stats mean nothing.

I'm also saying Pettis is a better player than people give him credit for and wonder why so many people seem to want to eliminate him for no reason but because he's not flashy. They don't even really have a reason for why he's bad, they just say he's bad and gives nothing, when we're what, two games removed from him saving a game for us with a great grab?

I'm saying we can keep both and have Pettis' steady hands, and see if Bailey can make something of the NFL. Only you seem to reason that it has to be one or the other, because it seems you have some hate boner for Pettis to the point where it makes you hear things that aren't happening.

Saying Pettis has steady hands compared to Bailey, who has ZERO drops and was MASSIVE in college just isn't going to sell. Pettis is a fill in guy. He's had many seasons and is still the same guy. Bailey is miles above him in potential and even better in the reality. There's no way Pettis beats out Bailey.

RamzFanz

Damnit
It's because there are too many Austin Pettises on the team right now.

The Rams, unfortunately, have a ton of cap tied up in players that are either A) not playing or B) are grossly overpaid. Couple that with players like Pettis who are not in the long term plans for the team, and you have a recipe for stagnation.

Crappy teams who work and scratch and claw their way out of it do so by replacing marginal talent with young elite talent and by trimming cap figures. The Seahawks are perfect examples. The had a ton of roster transactions in the first couple years of Carrol's tenure, turned over the veteran roster that was bogging them down, and let their young players flourish.

Bailey is head and shoulders a better talent and football player than Pettis and it isn't even close. The blueprint for success exists, it just stinks that sometimes the guys who suffered through the futility aren't good enough to go to the promised land.

^ This

RamzFanz

Damnit
First off, let's not make Ricky Proehl more of a player than he was. He was a low volume, 3rd option WR like Pettis. I do like Bailey as the #3 WR, I'm just saying that one bad game shouldn't dismiss Pettis's game time.

Proehl set the rookie record for the Cards in receptions. He was a key part of the GSOT and caught 6 receptions for 100 yards and the winning TD in 1999 to send the GSOT to the superbowl or there may never have been a GSOT. He caught the tying TD in super bowl 36 against the patriots with 1:30 on the clock. In super bowl 38 he AGAIN caught the tying TD catch with 1:08 on the clock. He was a team member of the Colts when they won super bowl 41. He was talked out of retirement TWICE by two teams. Let's not make him less of a player than he was.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Pettit has a hard time getting 10 yards downfield without tripping over his own feet. Yet, I like 3 bigs on the outside. Bailey should be running slot. I don't know where Givens and Austin fit in.
The Rams were using T.Austin &Bailey together,& Givens is hurt or else he would have been in a couple of series Pettis was in on.
Kenny Britt AIN't going No where except to the Super Bowl w/ his Afros .
--The bigs are Quick,Britt,& 3 TE's

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Ain't no one more popular in St Louis than the last guy on the bench. When's Ray Ray going to start over Dunbar so we can see all the potential?

Seriously, I like Bailey. I think he's going to be a good WR, better eventually then Tavon. But we are scoring and moving the football better than we have in 10 yrs without them so let's not act as if they are the missing link. Right now we are best with two TEs mismatching on the LBers.

And stop all this "look at what they did in college" nonsense. That stopped making any difference 2 seconds after they were drafted.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
I think Bailey will be fine. I think he'll make solid contributions this year. But this offense is a big receiver offense right now--the tight ends and Britt and Quick. Pettis and Bailey can still make the clutch catch but this offense lives off the big guys right now.

The guy I'm more concerned at fitting in is Tavon Austin. They just can't seem to get him rolling or he just can't get rolling--whatever. I don't have any answers there but if they don't figure something out with him I really see him more of the odd man out than Pettis or Bailey.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Pettis has won us games. The Bucs game he came up huge at the end. The Buffalo game a few years back he made an amazing clutch catch. The Jaguars game last year, the Jaguars pulled within 7 and a clutch bomb to Pettis extended our lead so we could win.

Pettis deserves his spot on this team. He's earned it time and time again. Bailey has not as of yet. I think Bailey is a better player, but he hasn't shown it yet. Let's slow down before trying to replace one of our most clutch players with a guy who hasn't proven anything yet.

Athos

Legend
I think we greatly overestimate how clutch Pettis is. He'll make about one huge play every two weeks or so, then goes super, super quiet. That is, if he sees the field. I'm not sure he was any more clutch than Danny A when he was here, only difference is, Pettis can score a TD here and there. But I don't think Pettis is anything more than a situational 5th option, mainly in there for RZ packages or extra height for jump balls.

Face is, he disappears. A lot.

No TDs his rookie year. 6 games with 12 yards or fewer.

In 2012, 8 games with 15 yards or fewer.
in 2013, 8 games with 16 yards for fewer.

He's good for maybe a 1st D a game on average.

I think Quick and Britt are making him irrelevant. I wan to see Bailey mixed in with all those tall guys because he adds a different wrinkle with his size, elite routes, and hands. Hopefully he's caught up to speed by now as I think he's ultimately a better option and is more Welker than DA in potential imo.

Athos

Legend
I think we greatly overestimate how clutch Pettis is. He'll make about one huge play every two weeks or so, then goes super, super quiet. That is, if he sees the field. I'm not sure he was any more clutch than Danny A when he was here, only difference is, Pettis can score a TD here and there. But I don't think Pettis is anything more than a situational 5th option, mainly in there for RZ packages or extra height for jump balls.

I think Quick and Britt are making him irrelevant. I wan to see Bailey mixed in with all those tall guys because he hadds

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Pettis has won us games. The Bucs game he came up huge at the end. The Buffalo game a few years back he made an amazing clutch catch. The Jaguars game last year, the Jaguars pulled within 7 and a clutch bomb to Pettis extended our lead so we could win.

Pettis deserves his spot on this team. He's earned it time and time again. Bailey has not as of yet. I think Bailey is a better player, but he hasn't shown it yet. Let's slow down before trying to replace one of our most clutch players with a guy who hasn't proven anything yet.
its hard to let Bailey prove anything when you dont play him (example: GRob). but when he has played hes come up with more impressive catches than ive seen pettis make. picking out catches from a few random games means nothing. In all his years here he has NOT developed or gotten any better than his first year there is no potential there. is that the type of receiver we want to keep dragging around when the rest of the group is excelling?

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

I think Quick and Britt are making him irrelevant. I wan to see Bailey mixed in with all those tall guys because he adds a different wrinkle with his size, elite routes, and hands. Hopefully he's caught up to speed by now as I think he's ultimately a better option and is more Welker than DA in potential imo.

Were there a lot of 4th string receivers who did loads better? The fact is, neither him or Pettis is adding any kind of wrinkle to Quick and Britt the way they are playing. Tavon is the only one with the potential to do that. Both Pettis and Bailey are kind of the same receiver. They both have size, both have hands, and both run good routes. Bailey has, WE BELIEVE based on preseason, more upside while Pettis has the experience and for now the coaching staff's trust. I seriously doubt either one playing over the other will have a greater effect on this game. It's going to come down to Quick and Cook to make this team's passing game work. For me personally, my top 4 who would be playing this week would be BQ, KB, Bailey and Pettis. Tavon needs to step it up and Givens... should be cut next year for someone who at least looks as if he cares.

Irish

Starter
its hard to let Bailey prove anything when you dont play him (example: GRob). but when he has played hes come up with more impressive catches than ive seen pettis make. picking out catches from a few random games means nothing. In all his years here he has NOT developed or gotten any better than his first year there is no potential there. is that the type of receiver we want to keep dragging around when the rest of the group is excelling?

Exactly. You know who had an impressive highlight video? Mardy Gillyard.

David Tyree has the most clutch catch in Superbowl history. Where is Tyree now?

Athos

Legend
Tavon needs to step it up and Givens... should be cut next year for someone who at least looks as if he cares.

Agree on both counts.

Pettis can score TDs or get a 1st D. He definitely has a role on the team, not arguing that. Not sure what Givens is doing anymore or if he cares. Clearly though, we need another WR who can run a straight go-route and burn a team deep with his speed. Don't think that's Givens anymore. Maybe Tavon can get there, but I'm doubtful. Which is why Cooper may be a guy to look at.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Agree on both counts.

Pettis can score TDs or get a 1st D. He definitely has a role on the team, not arguing that. Not sure what Givens is doing anymore or if he cares. Clearly though, we need another WR who can run a straight go-route and burn a team deep with his speed. Don't think that's Givens anymore. Maybe Tavon can get there, but I'm doubtful. Which is why Cooper may be a guy to look at.

Watching Cook run warm ups I'm not so sure he can't do it. If he would just develop his hands he could be truly great. Perhaps this will be Bailey's week. There's certainly a lack of film or awareness of him so he could find some room.

…..

Legend
Pettis had two drops last week that were pretty big in the 4th quarter. Inconsistent.

Cook 4 catches on 10 targets? yikes. Inconsistent

Tavon um....does he even fit in this offense? No impact at all. We drafted a fragile punt returner #8 over all. Nice. Inconsistent non factor that doesnt even have a roll.

Britt- non factor thus far. The one TD he got was a lack of awareness of the BD on a broken play rollout. Inconsistent impact, just 17 targets all season.

The package that had Tavon Austin and Steadman Baily out wide last week IN THE 4th Quarter no less...all I could think of was "midget reciever package, get them out of there, not the right time for gimmicks"

Almost unbelieveably our only consistent reciever has been Brian Quick. I'd like to see Baily get more time opposite Quick at the expense of the inconsistent Britt and Pettis. We need him to use his route running ability to get open then feed him the ball to build his confidence like we did with Quick.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I supppose you could argue that Pettis should have caught at least one of those passes in the philly game.

But you can't argue that he caught THE pass in the Tampa Bay game.

He doesn't do that and the Rams are 0-4.

Let that sink in.

Pettis isn't a world beater, but he serves an important purpose on the team.

I agree with the member that wondered why Givens is still around.

The second one was a great play by the defender, it wasn't a drop at all the ball got knocked out.

…..

Legend
Proehl set the rookie record for the Cards in receptions. He was a key part of the GSOT and caught 6 receptions for 100 yards and the winning TD in 1999 to send the GSOT to the superbowl or there may never have been a GSOT. He caught the tying TD in super bowl 36 against the patriots with 1:30 on the clock. In super bowl 38 he AGAIN caught the tying TD catch with 1:08 on the clock. He was a team member of the Colts when they won super bowl 41. He was talked out of retirement TWICE by two teams. Let's not make him less of a player than he was.

LOL

good stuff!!!

but Ricky benefited from being the least likely reciever on the field to get a look. When you have Az running amuck in the middle and Holt getting the attention of the best coverage, theres bound to be a white guy open sooner or later lol

Irish

Starter
LOL

good stuff!!!

but Ricky benefited from being the least likely reciever on the field to get a look. When you have Az running amuck in the middle and Holt getting the attention of the best coverage, theres bound to be a white guy open sooner or later lol

In the context of the argument, Proehl was much more Welker than Pettis.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler

I'm trying to discount his achievements, he was a clutch player and a valuable asset to many teams. I'm only saying Pettis has that potential and he has proved himself in games like the Tampa game this year

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Pettis had two drops last week that were pretty big in the 4th quarter. Inconsistent.

Cook 4 catches on 10 targets? yikes. Inconsistent

Tavon um....does he even fit in this offense? No impact at all. We drafted a fragile punt returner #8 over all. Nice. Inconsistent non factor that doesnt even have a roll.

Britt- non factor thus far. The one TD he got was a lack of awareness of the BD on a broken play rollout. Inconsistent impact, just 17 targets all season.

The package that had Tavon Austin and Steadman Baily out wide last week IN THE 4th Quarter no less...all I could think of was "midget reciever package, get them out of there, not the right time for gimmicks"

Almost unbelieveably our only consistent reciever has been Brian Quick. I'd like to see Baily get more time opposite Quick at the expense of the inconsistent Britt and Pettis. We need him to use his route running ability to get open then feed him the ball to build his confidence like we did with Quick.
since when has Tavon been given a chance to run the deep route or run a successfully executed end around or gadget play? Schottenheimer doesn't know how the hell to use him cus that takes creativity. he has every bit the skill to change a game if deployed correctly. and fragile? low blow dude. his broken ankle last year was his first injury EVER since he started playing football