Bailey?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Bailey was selfish and cost himself and the team. Pettis works hard, makes clutch catches in crunch time and the red zone.

Bailey still has not proved he is as good as Pettis. He needs to earn it and the coaches know them both better than anyone here.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Bailey was selfish and cost himself and the team. Pettis works hard, makes clutch catches in crunch time and the red zone.

Bailey still has not proved he is as good as Pettis. He needs to earn it and the coaches know them both better than anyone here.
Pettis has made catches like this more often than he's dropped the ball.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBSO6z4CmDk

It's not fair to call Bailey selfish because Pettis served a PED suspension as well.

I will say that there is definitely a spot for Pettis on the team. He may not break off a huge run after a catch but he finds away to get open and move the sticks when needed.

EDIT- It's worth mentioning, I've never seen the guy get a case of the alligator arms. I don't believe he deserves any criticism for being soft.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Because Pettis has been making clutch catches since before Bailey was even in this league? Because he's been a consistent and reliable target for our carousel of QBs since Bradford got here? Why is everybody acting like suddenly all the good Pettis has done is immediately erased by a bad game? He's made so many clutch grabs before that crap was bound to happen eventually, it's not like he's been Jared Cooking it, people need to relax.

For that matter why is everybody acting like Bailey's this god of receiving already? I can agree he flashed some mad potential, but yall need to chill.
Besides this^ Bailey is just coming-off his 4 game suspension, he's been in "1" game, he'll need to knock the rust off, and get up to game speed!!

V3

Hall of Fame

Pettis was busted for PED's as well so don't go down that road.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Pettis was busted for PED's as well so don't go down that road.
That does not relieve Bailey from being selfish. It just means they both have done the same stupid shit

Irish

Starter
Part of being a shitty team that is ascending is cutting ties with marginal talent that the fanbase and the team get attached to.

I will use the Blues as an example. in 2006, the Blues were the absolute laughing stock of the league. Horrible attendance, worst record in hockey, and rapidly declining as our talent got older and more oft injured.

The team featured guys like Eric Boguniecki, Peter Cajanek, Lee Stempniak, Ryan Johnson, Jay McClement, and the list went on and on. However, the Blues used high draft picks to draft the TJ Oshies, David Backes', Jaden Scwartzs, David Perrons, and Vladimir Tarasenkos and slowly but surely the team was pruned of the marginal talent for actual talent.

Austin Pettis is a throwback to those bad teams. He was there for Sam when no one else was, but now he needs to be pruned for superior talent. Sure, Lee Stempniak scored a few goals for the Blues, but he was eventually traded for Alexander Steen, a guy who is a bona fide star in the NHL now.

Its hard, it sucks, but for this team to continue to ascend, guys like Pettis need to go away and real NFL players like Stedman Bailey need to take his spot. Its all part of the game.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Bailey is in the doghouse....I hope he gets released soon....I have never understood the love for Pettis...I thought Salas was better and I really didn't like him....He catches the ball, isn't that what receivers are supposed to do?

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I call BS. Rams fans have put Pettis up on this little pedestal as a "clutch" receiver because of just how BAD the Rams receivers have been up to this year. Pettis is occasionally the one that would make that 3rd down catch and keep what ever pathetic drive we had going but thats all he can do. He has never made yards after catch he simply falls to the ground. Half the time he makes those catches is because nobody ever cared to cover him. Bailey is the true route running and possession receiver to make those plays. HE is the one that should be out there making those clutch plays. he wouldn't have dropped two clutch plays back to back. Have you ever watched a WVU game when he was their with Tavon? They were the college version of the GSOT. Pettis is only even playing cus Bailey got suspended and now some reason they wont play him.
No, they called him clutch because they understood that he did actual good among a shitty group of WRs that had little consistency, that he wasn't flashy but he still did his job. We call him clutch because he was, because we didn't forget what he did simply because it stopped happening. Also I don't get this Pettis can't get yard nonsense comes from/ The guys played in how many games and he's only had 14 games where he's failed to grab one over 10 yards, and most of those were when he received 2 or less targets a game.

I call BS on your last statement, how do you know Bailey would have made those catches? Are you some sort of wizard who can see different scenarios as they play out, because go ahead and tell me when Bailey enters the hall of fame, because that's just silly. How can you dog Pettis, but then be like BAILEY WOULD HAVE CAUGHT IT, I MEAN DID YOU SEE HOW GOOD HE WAS IN COLLEGE? Pettis has Bailey beat because he's actually done good in that spot in the NFL, so do you see why he was in and Bailey wasn't?

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I supppose you could argue that Pettis should have caught at least one of those passes in the philly game.

But you can't argue that he caught THE pass in the Tampa Bay game.

He doesn't do that and the Rams are 0-4.

Let that sink in.

Pettis isn't a world beater, but he serves an important purpose on the team.

I agree with the member that wondered why Givens is still around.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Why does it have to be an either/or with Bailey and Pettis?

I think that there is a place for both on our team. Of the two, I prefer Bailey. I'm just a huge fan.

While I'm at it, I'll say this...

We could do far worse than signing Britt to a 3+ year contract at an affordable price after this year. Having 2 tall starters on each side is sure nice, huh?

And I agree with others that Givens is our 6th WR and odd man out.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Are you guys talking about Stedman Bailey? Right now he's the 5th option at WR. Pettis has been reliable, Sunday was an exception not the rule. Maybe he dropped the ball because it was 2nd down. He's bailed out his QB more than a couple times on 3rd and 4th down in the past to keep drives alive. Part of the reason that Bailey looked so good during the preseason is that he was on the field more than pretty much anyone because he has a future with the team and was not expected to make his season debut until this coming Monday. Realistically, he's the 5th option. He, at least right now, is not the reincarnation of Isaac Bruce or Torry Holt.

Austin Pettis caught about twice a many passes as Bailey last season. Pettis = 38, Bailey = 17. Pettis dropped 4, Bailey dropped none. Bailey caught all but 1 of his passes after becoming active game 12. He only started in two games. Pettis started in 6 games and was active in 14.

Bailey averaged 13.3 to Pettis' 10.5 yards per catch.

Last season Bailey rushed twice for 33 yards. Pettis has rushed once in his career for -6.

I always saw Givens and Pettis as options after Bailey once Bailey returned this season. The dude has massive upside. Have you ever looked at his college numbers?

If Bailey isn't handed the spot, he will steal the spot.

Last edited:

V3

Hall of Fame
That does not relieve Bailey from being selfish. It just means they both have done the same stupid crap
I agree it doesn't absolve Bailey but in your OP you made it sound like Pettis didn't act selfish. If Bailey was selfish for using PED's, so was Pettis. And I'd be willing to bet that both Bailey and Pettis work hard.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Austin Pettis caught about twice a many passes as Bailey last season. Pettis = 38, Bailey = 17. Pettis dropped 4, Bailey dropped none. Bailey caught all but 1 of his passes after becoming active game 12. He only started in two games. Pettis started in 6 games and was active in 14.

Bailey averaged 13.3 to Pettis' 10.5 yards per catch.

Last season Bailey rushed twice for 33 yards. Pettis has rushed once in his career for -6.

I always saw Givens and Pettis as options after Bailey once Bailey returned this season. The dude has massive upside. Have you ever looked at his college numbers?

If Bailey isn't handed the spot, he will steal the spot.
I'm not saying Bailey is bad just that he's currently the 5th on the depth chart. He was banished from the team and from having contact with the team for over 2 weeks. He's playing catch up right now. I got caught up in the "Why is Pettis still here?" ridiculousness and was stating facts as to where Pettis is on the depth chart as compared to Bailey. Hopefully Bailey is as special as you guys think.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I'm not saying Bailey is bad just that he's currently the 5th on the depth chart. He was banished from the team and from having contact with the team for over 2 weeks. He's playing catch up right now. I got caught up in the "Why is Pettis still here?" ridiculousness and was stating facts as to where Pettis is on the depth chart as compared to Bailey. Hopefully Bailey is as special as you guys think.

I agree that they were easing him back, but that's over. Two games ago, his first game back, they didn't target him, he mostly played special teams. Last week he was targeted three times. This week, he's going to be number 3 or 4 in targets I would bet. He's way too talented to be on the bench in this must win divisional game on MNF.

We know who Pettis is. This is his fourth season and he's the same guy he was season one and that is clearly nothing special. Yes, he's made some clutch catches. That's it.

We know for sure that Bailey can do much more. Rushing, trick plays, receiving, route running, he's just the better athlete. Clutch? He's yet to drop a single pass. That's clutch.

My bold prediction? Bailey is the second receiver in receptions this week. Quick, Cook, Britt, Tavon, are all known threats. Bailey will be the hidden gem. JMHO.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I agree that they were easing him back, but that's over. Two games ago, his first game back, they didn't target him, he mostly played special teams. Last week he was targeted three times. This week, he's going to be number 3 or 4 in targets I would bet. He's way too talented to be on the bench in this must win divisional game on MNF.

We know who Pettis is. This is his fourth season and he's the same guy he was season one and that is clearly nothing special. Yes, he's made some clutch catches. That's it.

We know for sure that Bailey can do much more. Rushing, trick plays, receiving, route running, he's just the better athlete. Clutch? He's yet to drop a single pass. That's clutch.

My bold prediction? Bailey is the second receiver in receptions this week. Quick, Cook, Britt, Tavon, are all known threats. Bailey will be the hidden gem. JMHO.
Hoping that you're right.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No, they called him clutch because they understood that he did actual good among a crappy group of WRs that had little consistency, that he wasn't flashy but he still did his job. We call him clutch because he was, because we didn't forget what he did simply because it stopped happening. Also I don't get this Pettis can't get yard nonsense comes from/ The guys played in how many games and he's only had 14 games where he's failed to grab one over 10 yards, and most of those were when he received 2 or less targets a game.

I call BS on your last statement, how do you know Bailey would have made those catches? Are you some sort of wizard who can see different scenarios as they play out, because go ahead and tell me when Bailey enters the hall of fame, because that's just silly. How can you dog Pettis, but then be like BAILEY WOULD HAVE CAUGHT IT, I MEAN DID YOU SEE HOW GOOD HE WAS IN COLLEGE? Pettis has Bailey beat because he's actually done good in that spot in the NFL, so do you see why he was in and Bailey wasn't?
I'm gonna keep this short. half your response just didn't make much sense to me. but I think you're infatuated with an underwhelming receiver for the Rams that you only like because he was the least shitty of the group of shit we had. Bailey is a potential #2. we have seen him do it when they finally played him last season and in preseason and in college. The fact you said Pettis BEAT Bailey for a start and is a better player is just an absolutely ridiculous statement and most would agree. don't settle for mediocracy bro.

lockdnram21

Legend

i agree to a certain extent Top 2 options seem like Quick and Cook with Britt coming in 3rd. Bailey will get reps but i dont think he will pass any of the 3 i just mentioned. especially this week. I think were going to see more of that running game this week. He may be talented but with Quick stepping up that just makes it harder on Bailey. unless a injury occurs i dont expect Bailey to become a major contributor on offense

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I'm gonna keep this short. half your response just didn't make much sense to me. but I think you're infatuated with an underwhelming receiver for the Rams that you only like because he was the least crappy of the group of crap we had. Bailey is a potential #2. we have seen him do it when they finally played him last season and in preseason and in college. The fact you said Pettis BEAT Bailey for a start and is a better player is just an absolutely ridiculous statement and most would agree. don't settle for mediocracy bro.
I said PEttis is a better player, mind finding that for me? All I ever said is Pettis has earned his spot here and he's been doing it since longer than Bailey's been around, and that Bailey hasn't earned anything and everybody's infatuation with him already is a bit premature, especially when all they have is OMG HIS COLLEGE STATS while the guys beside him Austin and Smith are still struggling to find their mark in the NFL, so college stats mean nothing.

I'm also saying Pettis is a better player than people give him credit for and wonder why so many people seem to want to eliminate him for no reason but because he's not flashy. They don't even really have a reason for why he's bad, they just say he's bad and gives nothing, when we're what, two games removed from him saving a game for us with a great grab?

I'm saying we can keep both and have Pettis' steady hands, and see if Bailey can make something of the NFL. Only you seem to reason that it has to be one or the other, because it seems you have some hate boner for Pettis to the point where it makes you hear things that aren't happening.

Irish

Starter
I said PEttis is a better player, mind finding that for me? All I ever said is Pettis has earned his spot here and he's been doing it since longer than Bailey's been around, and that Bailey hasn't earned anything and everybody's infatuation with him already is a bit premature, especially when all they have is OMG HIS COLLEGE STATS while the guys beside him Austin and Smith are still struggling to find their mark in the NFL, so college stats mean nothing.

I'm also saying Pettis is a better player than people give him credit for and wonder why so many people seem to want to eliminate him for no reason but because he's not flashy. They don't even really have a reason for why he's bad, they just say he's bad and gives nothing, when we're what, two games removed from him saving a game for us with a great grab?

I'm saying we can keep both and have Pettis' steady hands, and see if Bailey can make something of the NFL. Only you seem to reason that it has to be one or the other, because it seems you have some hate boner for Pettis to the point where it makes you hear things that aren't happening.
It's because there are too many Austin Pettises on the team right now.

The Rams, unfortunately, have a ton of cap tied up in players that are either A) not playing or B) are grossly overpaid. Couple that with players like Pettis who are not in the long term plans for the team, and you have a recipe for stagnation.

Crappy teams who work and scratch and claw their way out of it do so by replacing marginal talent with young elite talent and by trimming cap figures. The Seahawks are perfect examples. The had a ton of roster transactions in the first couple years of Carrol's tenure, turned over the veteran roster that was bogging them down, and let their young players flourish.

Bailey is head and shoulders a better talent and football player than Pettis and it isn't even close. The blueprint for success exists, it just stinks that sometimes the guys who suffered through the futility aren't good enough to go to the promised land.