Bailey?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Wheres Bailey why is Pettis still here?
Because Pettis has been making clutch catches since before Bailey was even in this league? Because he's been a consistent and reliable target for our carousel of QBs since Bradford got here? Why is everybody acting like suddenly all the good Pettis has done is immediately erased by a bad game? He's made so many clutch grabs before that shit was bound to happen eventually, it's not like he's been Jared Cooking it, people need to relax.

For that matter why is everybody acting like Bailey's this god of receiving already? I can agree he flashed some mad potential, but yall need to chill.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Pettis is ok, but let's not act like he's done all that much good for this team. He's a possession WR who has lapses in his catching ability, not exactly rarefied air.

Bailey might not live up to expectations, but at least he has upside to be a #2 WR at some point, like next year after Britt rolls out. I'm with Robo, I want to see more of Bailey. Get him in there Schotty!

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
You can't give up on Pettis just yet. He is obviously not our biggest offensive contributor but it only takes one play to change the outcome of a game. One day a catch like this:
image.jpg

... Could come at a moment like this:

image.jpg

Austin Pettis is our Ricky Proehl

RamzFanz

Damnit
For potential... Bailey > Pettis.

I would like to see Bailey more. That's not a dig on Pettis, but Bailey has a much higher upside.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Because Pettis has been making clutch catches since before Bailey was even in this league? Because he's been a consistent and reliable target for our carousel of QBs since Bradford got here? Why is everybody acting like suddenly all the good Pettis has done is immediately erased by a bad game? He's made so many clutch grabs before that crap was bound to happen eventually, it's not like he's been Jared Cooking it, people need to relax.

For that matter why is everybody acting like Bailey's this god of receiving already? I can agree he flashed some mad potential, but yall need to chill.
If Pettis catches that 2nd down pass on our final drive vs the Eagles I would bet we overcome the biggest deficit in NFL history, yes he has been clutch but that was the opposite of one of his best pros and now I'm starting to wonder if Bailey would of made that catch..

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
If Pettis catches that 2nd down pass on our final drive vs the Eagles I would bet we overcome the biggest deficit in NFL history, yes he has been clutch but that was the opposite of one of his best pros and now I'm starting to wonder if Bailey would of made that catch..
It happens, guys are gonna mess up. He messed up, it doesn't undo all the games he pretty much saved for us with his solid hands. I would love to see more out of Bailey, but no need to dig at Pettis who does his job every well and has helped us out big time, especially in the red zone.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
It happens, guys are gonna mess up. He messed up, it doesn't undo all the games he pretty much saved for us with his solid hands. I would love to see more out of Bailey, but no need to dig at Pettis who does his job every well and has helped us out big time, especially in the red zone.
I know, I guess it just stings that, that drop ultimately cost us an NFL record in Davis' 3rd start. If we would of picked up the first on 3rd or 4th then no big deal, a drop is a drop, but damn it hurts like a mofo when the game is on the line.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I know, I guess it just stings that, that drop ultimately cost us an NFL record in Davis' 3rd start. If we would of picked up the first on 3rd or 4th then no big deal, a drop is a drop, but damn it hurts like a mofo when the game is on the line.
Yeah I get you guys, but you just gotta remember the good. Dude's saved a lot of games for us, given we haven't won a lot that means scads. I mean he just got done saving the Bucs game. If there's anybody I say deserves to be gone, it's Givens. He just hasn't improved at all and has stagnated hard since his rookie season.

jjab360

Legend
You can't give up on Pettis just yet. He is obviously not our biggest offensive contributor but it only takes one play to change the outcome of a game. One day a catch like this:
View attachment 3591

View attachment 3592

Sadly, Pettis either dropped that ball or landed out of bounds because he's never caught a TD pass against the Panthers.

reggae

Because Pettis has been making clutch catches since before Bailey was even in this league? Because he's been a consistent and reliable target for our carousel of QBs since Bradford got here? Why is everybody acting like suddenly all the good Pettis has done is immediately erased by a bad game? He's made so many clutch grabs before that crap was bound to happen eventually, it's not like he's been Jared Cooking it, people need to relax.

Pettit has a hard time getting 10 yards downfield without tripping over his own feet. Yet, I like 3 bigs on the outside. Bailey should be running slot. I don't know where Givens and Austin fit in.

reggae

Yeah I get you guys, but you just gotta remember the good. Dude's saved a lot of games for us, given we haven't won a lot that means scads. I mean he just got done saving the Bucs game. If there's anybody I say deserves to be gone, it's Givens. He just hasn't improved at all and has stagnated hard since his rookie season.
He couldn't have saved that many. You could probably count them on 1 finger.

Penguin.

Rookie
View attachment 3591

View attachment 3592

That is the biggest insult to Ricky Proehl I have ever seen.

Bailey has great hands, better speed, and is tougher than Pettis. Pettis might be a little more saavy and have better knowledge of the game, but Bailey is the clear cut option for #3 behind Britt and Quick.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Why is everybody acting like suddenly all the good Pettis has done is immediately erased by a bad game?
Because we live in an XBox/twitter/CGI world.

He dropped a big catch. Cut the bum and get someone new in there.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
We don't know for sure whether we go on to win the Philly game if Pettis makes either of those catches. We do know that we were able to beat Tampa Bay thanks to that catch he made when he reached back over the defender's head. I'm not saying anything about who is the better option out of him and Bailey but lets not ignore one instance where we know for a fact he's had a massive impact on the outcome of a game.

V3

Hall of Fame
To me it comes down to this: who has a future here and has the potential to help more in the future? I don't see Pettis being here much longer or used much. I'd much rather see Bailey get the reps so he learns faster and can help more, sooner.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Are you guys talking about Stedman Bailey? Right now he's the 5th option at WR. Pettis has been reliable, Sunday was an exception not the rule. Maybe he dropped the ball because it was 2nd down. He's bailed out his QB more than a couple times on 3rd and 4th down in the past to keep drives alive. Part of the reason that Bailey looked so good during the preseason is that he was on the field more than pretty much anyone because he has a future with the team and was not expected to make his season debut until this coming Monday. Realistically, he's the 5th option. He, at least right now, is not the reincarnation of Isaac Bruce or Torry Holt.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I call BS. Rams fans have put Pettis up on this little pedestal as a "clutch" receiver because of just how BAD the Rams receivers have been up to this year. Pettis is occasionally the one that would make that 3rd down catch and keep what ever pathetic drive we had going but thats all he can do. He has never made yards after catch he simply falls to the ground. Half the time he makes those catches is because nobody ever cared to cover him. Bailey is the true route running and possession receiver to make those plays. HE is the one that should be out there making those clutch plays. he wouldn't have dropped two clutch plays back to back. Have you ever watched a WVU game when he was their with Tavon? They were the college version of the GSOT. Pettis is only even playing cus Bailey got suspended and now some reason they wont play him.

Athos

Legend
Regardless, once Bailey gets back to up speed (he looked smooth in pre-season) with the game plan, he'll steal Pettis snaps.

Regardless, not sure Pettis would remain next year. But hell, we might just resign Britt and really turn Pettis into the 5th WR. With the way Givens' has fallen off the map, Pettis' future here seems more secure.

I'd draft Cooper and ditch Givens completely.