Asshole Face could be available

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Kinda with @Dog on this. I didn't think much of that Aints team that won the SB. A little on the flukey side. I definitely am not on board if there is compensation involved unless it is Stan's money. He has it. If he wants to spend it in that direction, who would mind? But I don't like the idea of us giving up draft choices that are a bit too few these days in order to lure a coach that I don't have a lot of faith in as a really good HC. I also don't have a lot of faith in his ability to recognize DCs that would work with him or his offenses.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Never said he was. I want a head coach who's been successful lately, preferably at the pro level. Come to think of it, Tom Coughlin should be erased from my want list for that reason. :)

As I said earlier, it's a gut feeling.

I had the same feeling before Sam Bradford was drafted and before Fisher was hired. I wanted Ndamukong Suh and Ron Rivera. That said, if Payton is hired and turns the Rams into a perennial playoff team, I will cheerlead him on and admit my bias was foolish. (y)

Powerball numbers for Wednesday. Go!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kinda with @Dog on this. I didn't think much of that Aints team that won the SB. A little on the flukey side. I definitely am not on board if there is compensation involved unless it is Stan's money. He has it. If he wants to spend it in that direction, who would mind? But I don't like the idea of us giving up draft choices that are a bit too few these days in order to lure a coach that I don't have a lot of faith in as a really good HC. I also don't have a lot of faith in his ability to recognize DCs that would work with him or his offenses.

I guess I am a bit confused by the use of "flukey." They were 13-3 that year (started 13-0). They beat three quality teams in the playoffs. Their first playoff win was a 45-14 win over a 10-6 KURT WARNER led Cardinals team (beating Kurt Warner in the playoffs is always significant in my book). Their second playoff win was over a 12-4 BRETT FAVRE led Vikings team. Their third playoff win was over a 14-2 PEYTON MANNING led Colts team.

They beat three hall of fame QBs in the playoffs. The Vikings and Colts both had top tier teams that year.

There's always going to be some flukiness in winning a Super Bowl. You need luck to do it. But that Saints team was definitely a Super Bowl caliber team.

Plus, Asshole Face has a strong career record in the playoffs.

I understand people's apprehension, but I still believe Payton is one of the best coaches in the NFL. I think a change of scenery to a team who will give him a quality defense to work with will show that to be true.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
Payton would bump another Super Bowl winning coach from the top of my list. I still remember that onsides kick he called to start the 2nd half of the Super Bowl. His team recovered and went on to win. That kind of fearlessness and confidence is infectious with the players.

He also seems to have that Martz like ability to craft an offense.

Get him a proven DC (what's Lovie Smith doing?) and happy days would finally be here again.

…..

Legend
I guess I am a bit confused by the use of "flukey." They were 13-3 that year (started 13-0). They beat three quality teams in the playoffs. Their first playoff win was a 45-14 win over a 10-6 KURT WARNER led Cardinals team (beating Kurt Warner in the playoffs is always significant in my book). Their second playoff win was over a 12-4 BRETT FAVRE led Vikings team. Their third playoff win was over a 14-2 PEYTON MANNING led Colts team.

They beat three hall of fame QBs in the playoffs. The Vikings and Colts both had top tier teams that year.

There's always going to be some flukiness in winning a Super Bowl. You need luck to do it. But that Saints team was definitely a Super Bowl caliber team.

Plus, Asshole Face has a strong career record in the playoffs.

I understand people's apprehension, but I still believe Payton is one of the best coaches in the NFL. I think a change of scenery to a team who will give him a quality defense to work with will show that to be true.

Yes they were worthy.....That year. I think they hit lightning in a bottle at the right time with Vilma, Sharper, and Roman Harper. Thats why they won it to me....timely defense. The offense was awesome but the defense was timely and opportunistic. its like everyone hit their peak, had their best year right when it was needed. Sharper had all the INT's but to me the defense revolved around Harper and his playmaking.

But mainly....it just felt very weird the whole movement behind the team when the City so desperately needed something to believe in.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Payton would bump another Super Bowl winning coach from the top of my list. I still remember that onsides kick he called to start the 2nd half of the Super Bowl. His team recovered and went on to win. That kind of fearlessness and confidence is infectious with the players.

He also seems to have that Martz like ability to craft an offense.

Get him a proven DC (what's Lovie Smith doing?) and happy days would finally be here again.

Lovie is head coach of the Illinois Fighting Illini.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
With the loss of Stedman Bailey, maybe Payton could help with the WV marketing/connection
news_sky.jpg

No3SeanPaytonSkyleneMontgomery.jpg

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I would love to have Payton as our coach. This would be the best option by 10 miles.
Young Rams team > Experienced NFL Coach with great history
LA demands championships > Proven World Champion
Offense is horrific > Offensive Genius
Young QB in Goff > Great QB track record

For all those stressing over the defense with Payton, what do Kyle Shanahan or Josh McDaniels know about defense? We need offense desperately. This game is about out-scoring your opponents. Frankly, I find it more entertaining to lose 52-49 than 10-3 anyway. If he is available, we would be foolish to pass him up.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I guess I am a bit confused by the use of "flukey."
Just what I always felt back then watching them. I wasn't impressed with either team that made it to the SB. Doesn't matter much. I really doubt it happens.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This game is about out-scoring your opponents

Or is it about making sure your opponent doesn't out score you?

Frankly, I find it more entertaining to lose 52-49 than 10-3 anyway

You know, that's what i used to think until this year when the Rams d couldn't stop anything anytime the offense put up points. It was so infuriating how easily completions were made to opposition wrs.

We need a team that can score points and keep the opposition in check.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I would love to have Payton as our coach. This would be the best option by 10 miles.
Young Rams team > Experienced NFL Coach with great history
LA demands championships > Proven World Champion
Offense is horrific > Offensive Genius
Young QB in Goff > Great QB track record

For all those stressing over the defense with Payton, what do Kyle Shanahan or Josh McDaniels know about defense? We need offense desperately. This game is about out-scoring your opponents. Frankly, I find it more entertaining to lose 52-49 than 10-3 anyway. If he is available, we would be foolish to pass him up.

I think he would turn our offense around to at least middle of the pack in the first year. That's how good he is. He'd insist on some additions of course, probably OL and WR, but he'd steer us quickly back to scoring points at a respectable clip.

I'd like to see him run a cover 2 with our personnel. Draft a couple CBs with size who are solid in zone with cover over the top (those guys are easier to get than shutdown/man types) and let our front seven shine with their speed and ability to beat blocks up front.

Payton is exactly what we're looking for. The most ideal fit for this team of all the "believable" options at this point. His team is 6-8, there is no telling if he'll even avoid firing, too, given their last two games are the BUCS and @FALCONS. Probably gonna be 6-10 so yeah I could see him being fired or dangled for cash considerations or some picks.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think he would turn our offense around to at least middle of the pack in the first year. That's how good he is. He'd insist on some additions of course, probably OL and WR, but he'd steer us quickly back to scoring points at a respectable clip.

I'd like to see him run a cover 2 with our personnel. Draft a couple CBs with size who are solid in zone with cover over the top (those guys are easier to get than shutdown/man types) and let our front seven shine with their speed and ability to beat blocks up front.

Payton is exactly what we're looking for. The most ideal fit for this team of all the "believable" options at this point. His team is 6-8, there is no telling if he'll even avoid firing, too, given their last two games are the BUCS and @FALCONS. Probably gonna be 6-10 so yeah I could see him being fired or dangled for cash considerations or some picks.

He was signed a 5 year $45 million extension right before this year. So I can't see firing being on the table. But I do think if they're considering moving on, they'll give him up for next to nothing to avoid paying him $9 million a year over the next few years.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He was signed a 5 year $45 million extension right before this year. So I can't see firing being on the table. But I do think if they're considering moving on, they'll give him up for next to nothing to avoid paying him $9 million a year over the next few years.

Yep that would be the allure and I'm sure Stan would have no prob pickin up that tab. I'd love to have that phone line tapped when they discuss compensation...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I would be fine with Peyton. Snead knows the personnel well enough on defense to let him know who to keep. He would have to hire a good defensive coach though. That Jeff Fisher guy is available. Peyton would be an excellent coach to get Goff going in the right direction. So would Kyle Shanahan for that matter.

The lack of defense over the years is concerning but his D is much better this year, so maybe he learned something from it.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Or is it about making sure your opponent doesn't out score you?

You know, that's what i used to think until this year when the Rams d couldn't stop anything anytime the offense put up points. It was so infuriating how easily completions were made to opposition wrs.

We need a team that can score points and keep the opposition in check.

You obviously can't win a Super Bowl without balance but nobody has ever done anything with the 32nd ranked offense. The Cleveland Browns had a more exciting offense. We need to make sure that is never the case again. I would definitely say the 28-31 game against Detroit was more fun to watch than the 10-13 lose to Carolina.

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
Payton would be awesome to fix the offense and work with Goff but he would need to bring in a good D coordinator for sure. And compensation to the Saints would have to be cheap cause we dont got the draft picks to give too much.

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler

This makes too much sense. Why are they willing to trade? They can trade him for next to nothing or keep him. They obviously want to move on from him but are being too cheap to outright fire him and pay him.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What if the Rams offer to pay the full freight of the contract and make compensation conditional?
I'd give a 1st rounder if the Rams were in the SB next season, but they'd have to get there first

On the flip side, Payton has a HOF QB playing some of the best ball of his career and he still hasn't had a winning season in 4 years

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
They have been first or second in total offense 5 of the last 6 years and the one time they didn't finish top 2 they finished 4th. That is incredible. I would love to have him combined with the most talented defense he has ever had.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yep that would be the allure and I'm sure Stan would have no prob pickin up that tab. I'd love to have that phone line tapped when they discuss compensation...

But no draft picks as the tender exchange please....we have Ram team cash but Rams have been in the soup line for draft prospects in 2016/2017.