Asshole Face could be available

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
It may not take much to get him. Cali guy may jump to head of list.

===

A year after the Colts considered acquiring Saints coach Asshole Face, and a year after Payton signed a lucrative extension in New Orleans, a change of scenery is still possible.

League sources said the Saints -- adrift in another lost season and with veteran quarterback Drew Brees spiraling in recent weeks -- would consider moving the coach should there be suitors, and it would not likely require hefty trade compensation.

The Saints are dealing with several issues regarding ownership and the possible structure of football operations moving forward. Brees, who turns 38 on Jan. 15, has one year left on his contract, and doing another one-year extension may be tricky given his struggles after a strong start. He has thrown nine touchdowns to nine interceptions in New Orleans' last five games, four of them losses; only Philip Rivers has more interceptions in that span.

Moving Payton's contract would free up about $40 million at a time when owner Tom Benson's health and the future of ownership is in question, and that money, along with the $25 million in cash/cap savings that would occur whenever Brees departs, would go a long way to providing an influx of means to rebuild this team. Benson has also struggled with his NBAfranchise, both in the standings and at the box office.

"I don't think it would take all that much to get him, actually," said one source with knowledge of the situation. "I don't think [GM] Mickey [Loomis] would hold him back or ask for all that much in return at this point."

Payton has had a long and successful stint in New Orleans, taking the formerly moribund franchise to a Super Bowl title, but the idea of a new challenge wouldn't be without attraction. The Saints may be undergoing a front office restructuring of sorts, and, mired in salary cap hell in recent years, adding young, cheap draft picks would appeal to them.

sean-payton.jpg

Asshole Face could be on the move in the offseason. USATSI
Landing Payton would qualify as an immediate impact move during a year in which there is not a preponderance of hot coaching candidates, and with other options somewhat limited. The Colts, for instance, could make a move for a coach again a year after deciding to extend Chuck Pagano. The Ramswould be an appealing job. The Chargers have a lot of strong young individual talent, and Rivers is a few years younger than Brees.

Payton is a California native with family there and previously coached at San Diego State, so the Southern California jobs could have a particular appeal.

@Billy Baroo - please include a link when posting an article.

Last edited by a moderator:

FRO

Legend
He is the offensive version of Fisher. May work with the current defense in place though.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Payton feels like a coach, at this point in his career, with similar struggles as Fisher... But on the opposite side of the ball.

EDIT: what @FRO said

Name
rick zollo
Asshole Face becomes an immediate favorite to be next Head Coach of Los Angeles Rams.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I don't know what to make of this guy. He had a nice run then had fallen off the last 3 years. It feels like they should have been better the last 3 years, especially with they QB.

Maybe he needs a fresh start.

The biggest issue I have with him is he wears a visor....can't stand it lol

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If Payton becomes available, he's the next Head Coach, he just needs a high profile DC and I believe he will hire one, is Los Angeles ready for Asshole Face and Rex Ryan as Defensive Coordinator? Not sure Rex would work with Payton because he fired his brother Rob, but there will be a ton of pressure to hire Payton in Los Angeles, funny if he kept Gregg Williams, wouldn't it be?

FRO

Legend
His last three seasons: 7-9, 7-9, 5-8. Sound familiar? Besides that he's a weasel, as he proved in our last game against the Saints. No thanks.
If Fisher went to a team with a great offense and Payton went to a team with a great defense, they'd either be successful or find a way to still screw up the other side of the ball they're clueless about. They are essentially the same coach just on opposite sides of the ball.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
His last three seasons: 7-9, 7-9, 5-8. Sound familiar? Besides that he's a weasel, as he proved in our last game against the Saints. No thanks.

It does, but he is still a Super Bowl winning coach and quite frankly the Saints defense has been playing much better this year and Payton has tried high profile guys as DC where Fisher did not in all his time in St. Louis & Los Angeles. Keep in mind, IMO, Fisher was involved with the offense, whereas Asshole Face allowed his DC total autonomy, I think it's a good match, he's 52 and he's fantastic in the community as well which will play huge with ESK and Demoff,

Let's not forget that before Asshole Face New Orleans had never won a playoff game so we can't take away what he has accomplished and he'll have a new young gunslinger in Goff. He's got good defensive players in place and this might be the perfect storm for him. As of now a 92-65 overall record along with a 6-4 record in postseason, the Rams could do much worse.

…..

Legend
Tough sell....instant favorite???? That's a pretty bold statement.

I always thought their Superbowl win was Katrina Karma. Their defense SUCKED and they still won.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
he is still a Super Bowl winning coach

And Jeff Fisher barely missed winning one himself. But that was a long time ago for both coaches. If the question is, "what have you done for me lately?" then both coaches are on a downward spiral. What I'm asking myself is, if he's so great then why are the Saints so willing to get rid of him? It's mostly a gut feeling with me.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2016/12/sean_payton_trade_saints_repor.html

New Orleans Saints could trade Asshole Face and not ask for much in return

"I don't think it would take all that much to get him, actually," one source said in the report. "I don't think (general manager) Mickey (Loomis) would hold him back or ask for all that much in return at this point."

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pair him with a strong defensive coordinator and you've got something. I think this rams defense is more talented than any of the saints defenses he's had.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Payton was let go, he'd be on a short list but not a no brainer.
The fact that compensation is involved? Gimme a break.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
if he's so great then why are the Saints so willing to get rid of him? It's mostly a gut feeling with me.

I get the comparison, but I believe the sole reason that the Saints want to go in another direction is they have money issues along with a total rebuild and they understand that Payton is at a different point in his career. This is a tough call and I realize he know will have three losing seasons under his belt, however, you have a great offensive mind that has a Super Bowl Ring, which Fisher did not have and a winning record in post season too, which Fisher did not have.

Again this is tough call, if the Rams can get David Shaw then it's a slam dunk, however, if the choice is between Kyle Shanahan for example or Asshole Face might be hard to pass on Payton, but I understand the disdain and that many consider him Jeff Fisher on the other side.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Freak Payton. IMO, he may be an offensive genius, but his attitude has always been if his team can score 30+ who cares what kind of defense he has. I want someone who is going to put points on the board and wants a "Total" team too. Offense, Defense and Special Teams. Can't be successful without all three being successful.