Asshole Face could be available

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If available for a reasonable cost he would immediately be the top candidate. But the Saints aren't going to do that, they'll put that out there and try to squeeze round one picks out of some team.

I don't think the Saints are that stupid, but if they were the Rams would pounce and that dude would flip our fortunes quickly.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Oh and btw the Aints would not deal him to the Colts. No way.

Also, I think cash might get 'er done and that's something Stan can swing without impacting football operations by moving the few picks we have left.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I personally want the Rams to Keep Williams as DC, and IF Peyton where to come to L.A. I don't think that would happen!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If they're willing to give him up for nothing, GET HIM.

Do what it takes to get a top DC on the market to pair with Payton.

Goff is a perfect fit for Payton's system. And Payton is a brilliant offensive coach. Him and Brees have gotten production out of any WR and TE thrown into that system.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
His last three seasons: 7-9, 7-9, 5-8. Sound familiar? Besides that he's a weasel, as he proved in our last game against the Saints. No thanks.

Honestly, no, it doesn't sound familiar when you add in the 11-5, 13-3, 11-5, and 13-3 preceding those 3 years.

The Saints got themselves in cap hell due Mickey Loomis. And due to that, Loomis failed to put a decent defense on the field. It's easy to put the blame on Payton, but his offenses have ranked 9th, 8th, and 2nd over the past 3 years in scoring. And he's not a coach who meddles with the defense. Look at the DCs he's hired over those 3 years:
Rob Ryan
Steve Spagnuolo
Dennis Allen

All three had good track records.

To me, Asshole Face sounds more like Tom Coughlin before the Giants or Andy Reid before the Chiefs.

I watched the ass whooping he put on our defense back before they mailed it in. He outschemed Gregg Williams at every turn. He's a man who can coach offense. We just need to make sure he brings a good DC with him.

And he also has his priorities in check. He was one of the first coaches to emphasize the interior OL in today's game.

Freak Payton. IMO, he may be an offensive genius, but his attitude has always been if his team can score 30+ who cares what kind of defense he has. I want someone who is going to put points on the board and wants a "Total" team too. Offense, Defense and Special Teams. Can't be successful without all three being successful.

I disagree. You don't hire the DCs he has and give them complete control if you don't give a crap about defense.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Am I reading this right the Rams have 44 players signed in 2017 & have over 52 million of cap space with .031% of Dead Money????:heh:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Am I reading this right the Rams have 44 players signed in 2017 & have over 52 million of cap space with .031% of Dead Money????:heh:

Yes. Snead and Demoff have very much done this part of their job very well.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Honestly, no, it doesn't sound familiar when you add in the 11-5, 13-3, 11-5, and 13-3 preceding those 3 years.

Jeff Fisher's Titans, in the previous 4 seasons before he was hired by the Rams, were a combined 37-27. How did that work out? Everything about a head coach isn't about the quarterback but how will he manage the entire team? What kind of management skills does this guy have when he gets himself suspended for one year? No thanks!

Mackeyser

Name
Mack

The Saints got themselves in cap hell due Mickey Loomis. And due to that, Loomis failed to put a decent defense on the field. It's easy to put the blame on Payton, but his offenses have ranked 9th, 8th, and 2nd over the past 3 years in scoring. And he's not a coach who meddles with the defense. Look at the DCs he's hired over those 3 years:
Rob Ryan
Steve Spagnuolo
Dennis Allen

All three had good track records.

To me, Asshole Face sounds more like Tom Coughlin before the Giants or Andy Reid before the Chiefs.

I watched the ass whooping he put on our defense back before they mailed it in. He outschemed Gregg Williams at every turn. He's a man who can coach offense. We just need to make sure he brings a good DC with him.

And he also has his priorities in check. He was one of the first coaches to emphasize the interior OL in today's game.

I disagree. You don't hire the DCs he has and give them complete control if you don't give a crap about defense.

We talked about Payton before and I agree with you. The problem would be finding that elusive DC.

But, yeah, I would have a hard time saying no to Asshole Face.

The issue would be compensation since he's under contract. Considering how much money we save them, I'd be reticent to give up anything above a single third or a fourth and a conditional in 2018. Something like that. The notion of a second or a first is just...no.

This team has significant personnel needs and the Rams will go with another HC before they forgo restocking the roster.

That said, the chance to have Asshole Face develop Goff would, if that were actually an option would be damned tempting... (his being one of the only WCOs that work, imho, in today's NFL because of his adaptations)

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I do wonder, how good would Payton look without Brees? And would a good DC make a difference if Payton was the one who made the personnel decisions? I have serious doubts about his ability to build a winning team. We know the defense isn't his forte.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Well, maybe what Payton needs is to be paired with someone like Snead who has an eye for defensive talent.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jeff Fisher's Titans, in the previous 4 seasons before he was hired by the Rams, were a combined 37-27. How did that work out? Everything about a head coach isn't about the quarterback but how will he manage the entire team? What kind of management skills does this guy have when he gets himself suspended for one year? No thanks!

Prime, we're talking 37-27 vs. 48-16. But Fisher's biggest problem here wasn't that he couldn't coach. It was that he couldn't adapt to the modern game. There's no issue with Payton doing that. We have a defense. We can bring in a great DC to join Payton. Payton is exactly what Goff needs.

What kind of management skills does he have? I'd say the Super Bowl ring, 59.5% winning percentage in the regular season, 60% winning percentage in the playoffs, and the 5 10+ win seasons in 10 years speak for themselves in establishing his ability to manage a team.

You're entitled to your opinion, but Payton is nothing like Fisher.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We talked about Payton before and I agree with you. The problem would be finding that elusive DC.

But, yeah, I would have a hard time saying no to Asshole Face.

The issue would be compensation since he's under contract. Considering how much money we save them, I'd be reticent to give up anything above a single third or a fourth and a conditional in 2018. Something like that. The notion of a second or a first is just...no.

This team has significant personnel needs and the Rams will go with another HC before they forgo restocking the roster.

That said, the chance to have Asshole Face develop Goff would, if that were actually an option would be damned tempting... (his being one of the only WCOs that work, imho, in today's NFL because of his adaptations)

I was thinking like a 2018 4th or 5th at most. I'd laugh at them if they asked for a 3rd this year. They're letting Payton go for a reason. We have plenty of other great candidates on the market. We're not desperate. We're helping them as much as they're helping us.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I do wonder, how good would Payton look without Brees? And would a good DC make a difference if Payton was the one who made the personnel decisions? I have serious doubts about his ability to build a winning team. We know the defense isn't his forte.

It's hard to say. My issue with chalking Payton's success completely up to Brees is that Brees played for another team prior to New Orleans. He played for Marty Schottenheimer in San Diego. And Brees was a good QB, but he wasn't the elite QB that he became under Payton.

Brees has only missed 1 game due to injury during his Saints career, this is it:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201509270car.htm

All things considered, I'd say what he got out of Luke McCown against the 15-1 Panthers was pretty impressive.

However, there's one thing that works in Payton's favor imo. Asshole Face is the coach who developed Tony Romo from a UDFA to a Pro Bowl QB prior to being hired by the Saints. He actually tried to trade for Romo (Romo became Dallas's starter during Payton's first year in NO) when he was hired by NO. But Jerry turned down his offer. That led to Payton signing Drew Brees.

Last edited:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
You're entitled to your opinion, but Payton is nothing like Fisher.

Never said he was. I want a head coach who's been successful lately, preferably at the pro level. Come to think of it, Tom Coughlin should be erased from my want list for that reason. :)

As I said earlier, it's a gut feeling.

I had the same feeling before Sam Bradford was drafted and before Fisher was hired. I wanted Ndamukong Suh and Ron Rivera. That said, if Payton is hired and turns the Rams into a perennial playoff team, I will cheerlead him on and admit my bias was foolish. (y)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Never said he was. I want a head coach who's been successful lately, preferably at the pro level. Come to think of it, Tom Coughlin should be erased from my want list for that reason. :)

As I said earlier, it's a gut feeling.

I had the same feeling before Sam Bradford was drafted and before Fisher was hired. I wanted Ndamukong Suh and Ron Rivera. That said, if Payton is hired and turns the Rams into a perennial playoff team, I will cheerlead him on and admit my bias was foolish. (y)

Well, the problem with that is the head coaches who have been successful lately are currently employed. ;)

We'll just agree to disagree. I understand where you're coming from.