Article: 7 candidates to replace Jeff Fisher

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
5696471748907.image.jpg

Report: Jon Gruden “Would Listen” To Rams’ Pitch For HC Job

By: Nate Bouda

Sam Farmer of the L.A. Times reports that “those close” to ESPN analyst Jon Grudenindicated he would listen” to a pitch from the Rams regarding their head-coaching job.

Farmer mentions that Gruden may finally be ready to return to coaching after seven years in the booth calling Monday night football games. Gruden previously worked with Kevin Demoff, while they were with the Buccaneers several years ago.

Other candidates for the job, according to Farmer, could including Jim Harbaugh, Josh McDaniels and Kyle Shanahan.

It didn’t take long for names to come up as speculative options for the Rams after the announced that they had fired long time HC Jeff Fisher, despite giving him a contract extension before the start of the season.

Many have said that the Rams’ coaching job will be very appealing, considering that it’s in the No. 2 market in the country, they have young talent to build around including No. 1 pick Jared Goff and will have a brand new stadium in the coming years. However, it could cost Rams owner Stan Kroenke over $10 million per year to lure someone like Harbaugh back to the NFL.

The assumption is that Los Angeles would likely target an offensive-minded head coach, but Demoff downplayed this thinking.

You may find an unbelievable head coaching candidate who you meet with and believe is absolutely perfect for the Los Angeles Rams who has a defensive background,” Demoff said. “I think what’s most important is they have a plan to maximize the offense.”

We’ll have more regarding the Rams’ head-coaching search as the news is available.

http://nfltraderumors.co/report-jon-gruden-listen-rams-pitch-hc-job/

Chuckie needs to put down the crack pipe. The Rams aren't going to come throw themselves at his feet and pitch the job to him, who the F does he think he is? Dude ain't that good. If any coach gets that treatment it's a very small list topped by Harbaugh and it does not include John Gruden.

I'm getting to the point where I think if they don't get Harbaugh just roll the dice on the hot coordinator you like best, the one who has the best plan not to mention the strongest staff lineup to come in with him.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That's almost unfair of me to expect. I'm not exactly a succinct person.
How else am I to spot the Millerisms?
How did you like his stint on MNF, by the way?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Chuckie needs to put down the crack pipe. The Rams aren't going to come throw themselves at his feet and pitch the job to him, who the F does he think he is? Dude ain't that good. If any coach gets that treatment it's a very small list topped by Harbaugh and it does not include John Gruden.
I hope he does get hired. Because part of me would like to see this thing get turned around, and then the other part of me would like to see him crash and burn as a Head Coach. I have all the time in the world to see either one.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
How else am I to spot the Millerisms?
How did you like his stint on MNF, by the way?

I thought he was funny and he brought a fresh take. I think he was too smart and quick for the guys in the booth and it annoyed them. To them, he just came off as a wise acre who never played the game, so why should anyone care what he said. What they all missed was that almost everyone who watched were just like Miller and better related to Miller than the meatheads who spouted tired platitudes or worse... Maddenisms... "you see... the guy with the ball is the quarterback. If he throws it to his guy in the end zone. BOOM. Touchdown."

Don't get me wrong... Madden and Summerall were like a warm blanket. But they didn't exactly give insight into the game.

I dunno. Some folks prefer the two man team and if you do, then I can see Miller being in the way, even if you liked him. I liked him.

WvuIN02

Starter
Harbaugh isnt leaving. It was a fantasy, at least until hes won a couple NCs at Michigan then he might go back to the pros.

That said there are plenty of guys who would make great coaches: Shaw, Cooter, Haley I would be fine with them all.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I hope this isn't true.

In addition i don't think he would come out and say he's interested at this point in the season. Wait until it's over to see whats up
I don't think he will leave Michigan. He's on top of the world in Ann Arbor. With that said, this probably came out to squash the rumors he might be interested. If there was any hint he might be leaving, a bunch of his prospects would probably reconsider coming to Michigan.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
at least until hes won a couple NCs at Michigan then he might go back to the pros.
Just a couple? Well at least he can add those assumed national championships to all those other fictional ones he's won, and all those Super Bowls the media likes to pretend he won, too.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Harbaugh please, those sideline tantrums are hilarious to watch.

Rambo

UDFA
Im for Gruden. He's a big name. He'll sell the team, he'll get butts in the seats. People will have fun with the "Chuckie" thing. Its a perfect fit for Hollywood. Then I'd get one of the young offensive minds like Shanahan, McDaniels... as offensive coordinator. Chuckie also has a history with Goff with his QB Camp and they seem like they get along really well already. My second choice is the Shanahans, Mike and Kyle - father/son team.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Im for Gruden. He's a big name. He'll sell the team, he'll get butts in the seats. People will have fun with the "Chuckie" thing. Its a perfect fit for Hollywood. Then I'd get one of the young offensive minds like Shanahan, McDaniels... as offensive coordinator. Chuckie also has a history with Goff with his QB Camp and they seem like they get along really well already. My second choice is the Shanahans, Mike and Kyle - father/son team.

I don't really give a shit about butts in the seats. I want this team to win games. And Grudens past shows he's not very capable of that. Might as well have kept Fisher.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't really give a crap about butts in the seats. I want this team to win games. And Grudens past shows he's not very capable of that. Might as well have kept Fisher.
Except Gruden won one of those Sooper bold thingamahjigs

Jeff Fisher: 6 winning seasons in 22 seasons
Jon Gruden: 6 winning seasons in 11 seasons

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
New blood!!!!

Shaw
Gruden
Kyle Shanahan
McDaniels
Jim Bob Cooter.....
Harbaugh (he's my fav, but if he don't want us, I don't want him)
Sean Peyton
Greg Williams (he gets a chance at get back)

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Sam Farmer of the L.A. Times reports that “those close” to ESPN analyst Jon Grudenindicated he would listen” to a pitch from the Rams regarding their head-coaching job.

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/201...ad-coach-candidates-jon-gruden-kyle-shanahan/

usatsi_5293034.jpg

Jon Gruden among best candidates for Rams to replace fired coach Jeff Fisher
By: Bryan Kalbrosky

The Rams have not had a winning season under head coach Jeff Fisher. Jon Gruden leads the list of candidates to replace him now that he is fired.

1. Jon Gruden (NFL Analyst, ESPN)
The ESPN analyst became the youngest head coach to win the Super Bowl in 2003. It was his first season with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He has a very impressive mind for football and is a bit of an offensive guru, which is the exact culture change the Rams need.

ABC’s Lisa Salters recently said Gruden should win analyst of the year every year.” Gruden is a sought-after coach as well. When Charlie Strong was fired at Texas, rumors recently circulated that the Longhorns wanted to hire Gruden. Instead, Houston coach Tom Herman got the coveted Texas job.

While he is under contract with ESPN until 2021, many have speculated he could leave his post for the NFL.

In fact, he even said he could win games with Tim Tebow as his quarterback (via For The Win).

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
The only thing I don't like is that dang WCO...and the nightmarish language...it's such an impediment...

it really gets in the way

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Kyle Shanahan

I've heard some stuff about him rubbing players the wrong way. But I might be willing to take a chance on him. I don't think we need more of a country club atmosphere around here. Listening to some of the players reactions to Fisher's firing, I wonder if he forgot Machiavelli's maxim of "it's better to be feared than loved" ... seems like the players loved him, but didn't really fear him.

One thing that intrigues me about Kyle Shanahan is that he's never more than a phone call away from someone - namely his dad - who can give him some solid advice on how to be a head coach in the NFL. Having a father who has won two Super Bowls and had numerous playoff appearances can't be a bad thing ... and maybe Mike Shanahan could make a few phone calls to help his son bring in some quality assistants.

The only thing I don't like is that dang WCO...and the nightmarish language...it's such an impediment...

it really gets in the way

Yeah, on this I agree. On the bright side, it appears that at least Goff has learned enough of it now.

But that being said, you posted about the EP offense a few days ago, and I would not object in the least to giving that a try. It's one reason I don't automatically rule out Matt Patricia as a possible candidate, because I think he would bring in an OC to run it.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Please, no Harbaugh. I just can't stand to look at the guy. I don't want Coughlin either but I think we need a disciplinarian like him. Guys played hard for Fisher it seems but they didn't always play smart or in control. You got to have both in the NFL.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Peter King floated an interesting name: Mike MacIntyre. I actually think quite highly of him. He comes from the Bill Parcell coaching tree. He rebuilt two college programs from absolute crap into winning teams.

I have had the Rams hiring his Defensive Coordinator, Jim Leavitt, in a few of my mocks because I think very highly of him. QBs have done very well under MacIntyre in college. And his OC at San Jose State was a guy named John DeFilippo. You might recognize that name because I pushed very hard last year for the Rams to hire him as OC. I have a very high opinion of DeFilippo.

Basically, I think MacIntyre is a very good coach who surrounds himself with a high quality staff.