Article: 7 candidates to replace Jeff Fisher

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is clearly an amateur writer. But that aside, those are the top seven names for every coaching vacancy this off-season.

No doubt. I'd actually add that it's a superficial, "obvious" list he cobbled together quickly off the top of his head. Just enjoying having something else to read other than "Fisher sucks."

Curt760

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Curt760
Ludicrous suggestion with Turner another pundit not doing his research because Coaches don't get 4 chances with losing records. Turner a 114-122 career record as a Head Coach again just trying to bring up names without doing a little research, which is par for the course in social media today although it's right at everyone's fingertips.
114-122...Give him a few years here and he'll beat Fisher's losing record.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Why couldn't Mike Shanahan be on the list? He has more HC coaching experience than all of them put together, a winning record, two superbowls and has developed young QB's. Not considered because he hasn't been in football a couple of years?

Just sayin, don't rule out M Shanahan if it's exprience Mr. Kroenke is looking for to replace Fisher. Rams haven't had a very good track record hiring 1st year HC's.[/QUOT

who ever they chose as a new hc i'm more interested in who that coach picks for oc dc and position coaches. for years now I have not seen improvement in players after their rookie year. imo I just don't see players getting better and blame that on coordinators and position coaches.

BlackSheep

UDFA
Haven't seen Mad Mike's name brought up in the national media. Bring back Martz and reunite him with Lovie to run the D and please keep Fassel or promote him to OC under Martz' tutelage.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Haven't seen Mad Mike's name brought up in the national media. Bring back Martz and reunite him with Lovie to run the D and please keep Fassel or promote him to OC under Martz' tutelage.

I would actually prefer Lovie over Martz, with Mad Mike only worrying about the offense. Everyone likes to bag on Lovie, but he made some really shrewd staff hires in his two HC stints, his players play hard for him, he holds them accountable with loaf charts and focus on that stuff, etc. I of course am a big fan of Lovie, always have been since he came in and ran our defense.

BUT, that aside, I think we not only can do better, but we need to do better. This hire is a big, big deal for the Rams at this place in time. It needs to be a hire that satisfies not only good football sense but that also sets up the teams' investments on offense for success and potentially a quick turnaround.

KJD_Ram

Rookie
after reading the article about the Redemption of McDaniels....he's sounding eerily 4 Pillar-ish....pass
watching Michigan piss away the Ohio State game was like watching the Rams Dolphins game....pass

KJD_Ram

Rookie
actually, it would be more beneficial to speculate who each of these guys might bring in as coordinators because lets face it, the HC is going to be too busy with the celebrity aspect of LA

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lovie wont get fired from Illinois for at least another season

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
5696471748907.image.jpg

Report: Jon Gruden “Would Listen” To Rams’ Pitch For HC Job

By: Nate Bouda

Sam Farmer of the L.A. Times reports that “those close” to ESPN analyst Jon Gruden “indicated he would listen” to a pitch from the Rams regarding their head-coaching job.

Farmer mentions that Gruden may finally be ready to return to coaching after seven years in the booth calling Monday night football games. Gruden previously worked with Kevin Demoff, while they were with the Buccaneers several years ago.

Other candidates for the job, according to Farmer, could including Jim Harbaugh, Josh McDaniels and Kyle Shanahan.

It didn’t take long for names to come up as speculative options for the Rams after the announced that they had fired long time HC Jeff Fisher, despite giving him a contract extension before the start of the season.

Many have said that the Rams’ coaching job will be very appealing, considering that it’s in the No. 2 market in the country, they have young talent to build around including No. 1 pick Jared Goff and will have a brand new stadium in the coming years. However, it could cost Rams owner Stan Kroenke over $10 million per year to lure someone like Harbaugh back to the NFL.

The assumption is that Los Angeles would likely target an offensive-minded head coach, but Demoff downplayed this thinking.

“You may find an unbelievable head coaching candidate who you meet with and believe is absolutely perfect for the Los Angeles Rams who has a defensive background,” Demoff said. “I think what’s most important is they have a plan to maximize the offense.”

We’ll have more regarding the Rams’ head-coaching search as the news is available.

http://nfltraderumors.co/report-jon-gruden-listen-rams-pitch-hc-job/

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I agree that there hasn't been much of an offense to speak of, but where does this "inability to develop quarterbacks" come from? The former doesn't validate the latter. When your quarterbacks are Bradford, Clemens, Hill, Davis, and Keenum, where does the opportunity arise to turn them into elites? Who's been able to do that with any of those guys? Is it because Goff took 10 games to learn the intricacies of a pro-style NFL offense?

Mike Martz with one off-season took Jon Kitna and turned him into a 4k a year monster.

Sorry, brother, but I just gotta disagree. At no point has Fisher EVER developed a QB. McNair wasn't developed as a QB, but more as a playmaker who thrived because they could power run so successfully with Eddie George. The only pocket QB who he had any success with was a long time veteran who's development he had nothing to do with, Kerry Collins. And regardless of whether he wanted Vince Young or not, once he was on the roster, he needed to develop him. Did he? No. Not even close. It actually look in retrospect like he was so upset about being forced to take Young that he refused to develop him. And Young's play showed just that. So, if you go through his 22 years of HC experience, he's got zero examples of developing ANY QBs. Not a draft pick, not a back up...no one. That's almost an accomplishment in and of itself.

Mike McCarthy... Asshole Face... Josh McDaniels (especially this season the first 4 games using what? 3 different players at QB and going 3-1) Kyle Shanahan.... Jim Bob Cooter... JIM HARBAUGH (can we really forget how he had Colin Kaepernick playing like a Pro Bowl QB? Kaep??? At a Pro Bowl level???)

There are PLENTY of guys in this league who've been able to coach up QBs immediately.

Fisher never did it. Now... on defense, it's a totally different issue.

But to try and state that Fisher ever developed a QB is just factually incorrect.

And THAT was why prior to the draft I was so confused as to why he'd want to pick a QB to develop.

It'd be like me picking for my next car...a kit car that I'd need to build myself. I've never built car myself. Ever. I have no tools, expertise or experience.

Hopefully, with the next choice, they go with someone who has developed QBs.

And I'll continue to buy pre-assembled vehicles... :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I think it's true. Short of the greatest job offer since Steve Jobs stole Sculley from Pepsi to run Apple, "do you wanna sell sugar water all your life? Or do you want to change the world?"

Short of the greatest offer, Harbaugh likely won't go.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Am I missing something here? Gruden wasn't even a good coach when he was in the coaching circle. Now that he's been out of it for 7 years, he's capable? No thanks.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Mike Martz with one off-season took Jon Kitna and turned him into a 4k a year monster.
Yeah, nobody's disputing that Martz - a career QB developer - isn't good at that. I was talking about the QBs Fisher had to work with. It's easy enough to say he didn't do anything with McNair (a NFL MVP), but I think that's a little disingenuous. Selective, even. I was talking about Bradford (Kelly and Norv Turner couldn't do any better), Clemens, Hill, Davis and Keenum. Who's supposed to develop those guys? Why did everyone past and present fail to do the same thing? All I'm saying is that maybe a nod could be given toward the guys he's had. That's all. I'm not here saying that he's on par with guys like Martz or anything. Just suggesting a little objectivity be employed. And again, there are only a handful of head coaches who are QB whisperers. Everyone else has to hire QB coaches (an actual NFL job) and offensive coordinators to do that.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I agree that there hasn't been much of an offense to speak of, but where does this "inability to develop quarterbacks" come from? The former doesn't validate the latter. When your quarterbacks are Bradford, Clemens, Hill, Davis, and Keenum, where does the opportunity arise to turn them into elites? Who's been able to do that with any of those guys? Is it because Goff took 10 games to learn the intricacies of a pro-style NFL offense?

This is clearly an amateur writer. But that aside, those are the top seven names for every coaching vacancy this off-season. I wouldn't measure their worth by their ability to develop quarterbacks. Even if you hire the very best at that, and they suck at hiring coordinators or relating to players, then all you have is a properly developed QB on a wrecked team. The Rams need someone with Coughlin's leadership skills and his ability to hire good assistants, but without being the oldest coach in the league. And I notice Chuckie isn't on that list - even though he's expressed some interest in returning to coaching. Guy can't help but say "That's a guy I'd have on MY team" every single time he announces a game. Clearly he's still got the itch.
" Chuckie!" is #1 on my personal List, and I have a couple other Retired HC I might consider, along with some of the Coaches mentioned in the Op.
I just hope Kroenkie Makes up his mind fast so the New HC can Hit-The-Ground-Runnning!!
A couple more:
* Mike Martz
* Bill Cowher
I WOULD NOT Hire the Following as HC's:
* Norv Turner
* Josh McDaniels
* Jim Harbaugh

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
And, with respect to that, Fisher hasn't either been able to spot a QB whisperer or been interested in truly getting one.

I won't relitigate McNair, cuz that's a distraction and a rabbit hole, but I do have a well thought out case.

However, when it comes to developing QBs, be it directly or indirectly, I'm rather harsh in my critique on that point.

As for Kelly developing Bradford, the last 8 games under Kelly, Bradford was on a really good pace. Let's not forget that Bradford has basically had a new OC every year he's been in the pros, so I dunno that he's a good case for anyone, good or bad.

Jon Kitna was basically Shaun Hill and look what Martz did with him. Austin Davis? I think fans would KILL for those numbers now. Guy threw for actual numbers, but he got NO development...he stagnated under the grind of the season, his fundamentals wavered and coach moved on.

I'm not saying that Fisher had the greatest material. I'm saying that others have taken similar mediocre material (Kirk Cousins, anyone?) and produced with them.

Fisher's biggest failing has to be the lack of QB development. I'm not criticizing him for not being a QB whisperer like Martz. But if he's not going to be that, he's got to recognize the absolute NEED to FIND ONE.

And in 22 years, he never did. That's unconscionable for an NFL HC in this passing league. Not developing RBs is a venal sin. Not developing QBs is a mortal sin. It's just that simple.

And we saw it with him dithering over the backup situation Austin/Keenum while NOT developing Mannion and then spending all this season teaching Goff this ridiculous system and really NOT developing him in any real way (he made all these throws before, the TDs and INTs...his PRO development is BEHIND)

I'm honestly not sure his vision for the QB matches what the league demands from the position, anymore.

I could see him working for a team again, but never as a HC. Especially if the Rams do well with the new HC and keep Snead, that will validate Fisher and he could go into the personnel side...GM/Team President. And I bet he'd do pretty darn well there.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
And, with respect to that, Fisher hasn't either been able to spot a QB whisperer or been interested in truly getting one.
I'd give more credence to the former than the latter.

Incidentally, I do read the entire post and not just the first line. :)

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I'd give more credence to the former than the latter.

Incidentally, I do read the entire post and not just the first line. :)

That's almost unfair of me to expect. I'm not exactly a succinct person.