Article: 7 candidates to replace Jeff Fisher

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/galler...head-coach-replacement-candidates-list-121216

7 candidates to replace Jeff Fisher as the Rams’ coach

By Cameron DaSilvaDec 12, 2016 at 4:34p ET
7 names the Rams should consider

The Los Angeles Rams made a big move on Monday, firing head coach Jeff Fisher after four-plus seasons with the team. After Sunday’s embarrassing 42-14 loss to the Falcons, the Rams had little choice but to sever ties with Fisher. The decision came just months after he and the Rams agreed to a contract extension, which only proves there was a sense of urgency and a significant lack of patience from owner Stan Kroenke.

With Fisher out, the Rams now have to begin their extensive search for a new head coach. A handful of big-name candidates will certainly be atop the list, but there are also a few lesser-known offensive minds that should be serious contenders to try to make the most out of No. 1 overall pick Jared Goff.

Here are the top seven names the Rams should look out to fill the void left by Fisher.

Kyle Shanahan, Falcons offensive coordinator

One of the biggest issues during Fisher’s tenure with the Rams was his inability to lead an offense and develop quarterbacks. He’s a good defensive mind, but Fisher repeatedly struggled on the other side of the ball. As a result, the Rams need an offensive-centric coach to take over. Shanahan currently runs the league's best offense in Atlanta. His relationship and chemistry with quarterback Matt Ryan has improved as time has gone on, and there’s no reason to believe he couldn’t elevate the Rams with Goff, Todd Gurley and Tavon Austin in place.

Josh McDaniels, Patriots offensive coordinator

Like Shanahan, McDaniels is a young, quarterback-savvy coach. He struggled in his first head coaching gig with the Broncos, but since his return to the Patriots, McDaniels has thrived. Though Tom Brady is the main cog in New England’s offense, the guy behind the play calling is McDaniels. He did a brilliant job calling plays during the Patriots’ Super Bowl run in 2014 and has continued to do so this season, particularly when Brady was suspended. He put Jimmy Garoppolo in situations to have success, and the same goes for Jacoby Brissett, whose skill set isn’t exactly NFL-ready. Yet the Patriots still went 3-1 in those four games.

Norv Turner

If the Rams want to go with someone who has a bit more experience than the younger McDaniels and Kyle Shanahan, Turner should certainly warrant a look. He surprisingly stepped down from his gig as the Vikings’ offensive coordinator earlier this season, which was essentially a falling-out between he and coach Mike Zimmer. Turner’s scheme is a bit outdated and requires the proper pieces – power running game, big No. 1 target, athletic tight end, great offensive line – but the Rams could potentially add a couple of those assets in the coming years. That’s not to say Turner can’t have success without those types of players, but it’s a staple of his game plan. He is considered to be one of the best offensive minds the league has seen, and his prowess would benefit Goff.

Jim Harbaugh, Michigan head coach

Jim Harbaugh is a long shot to leave Michigan -- where he’s completely turned around the program and is considered a savior – but Kroenke has deep pockets and shouldn’t be afraid of throwing around a bit of money. It would take a substantial pay day to pry Harbaugh out of Ann Arbor. He has had success everywhere he’s gone, from Stanford to the 49ers to Michigan, and a return to California would likely yield more of the same. He’d bring a good balance of offensive and defensive-centric philosophies, led by his work with quarterbacks. Harbaugh did have success with guys like Andrew Luck, Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick, so the ability to develop quarterbacks is there.

David Shaw, Stanford head coach

Shaw has made it clear he doesn’t want to leave Stanford, but the allure of being an NFL head coach can do some funny things to people. Everyone from Nick Saban to Lane Kiffin to Harbaugh has made the jump to the NFL, and although success is hard to come by there’s nothing like being a head coach in the pros. Shaw hasn’t missed a beat since Harbaugh left Stanford, finishing well above .500 in each of his six years while finishing in the AP top 15 four times. Shaw will undoubtedly be a hot commodity in the upcoming offseason despite his refusal to make the jump, and a team like the Rams could pay him a hefty amount to leave the Cardinal. Not to mention, he’d be able to stay on the West Coast and land in a shiny new stadium just a few years down the line.

Jim Bob Cooter, Lions offensive coordinator

Cooter was a relative unknown before he was promoted to offensive coordinator for the Lions last season. In just a year in that post, he’s proved to be an offensive guru capable of working with quarterbacks and elevating their play. Peyton Manning raved about the work Cooter did while in Indianapolis and Denver as an offensive assistant, which only bolster’s his case as an offensive mind.

“He’s been on a fast climb,” Manning said in February. “He’s earned it. He’s a hard-working guy, he’s very smart, and he just sees football and knows football. I enjoyed the couple years we had together in Indy. He was really helpful to me in Denver in 2013.”

Cooter doesn’t have nearly the amount of experience some teams look for in a head coach, but he could be a huge factor in Goff’s development.

Tom Coughlin, former Giants and Jaguars head coach

There’s a place in the NFL for Tom Coughlin, and it just might be in L.A. Coughlin has expressed that he’s interested in getting back into coaching, saying his “Doppler is back up” as recently as last month. His separation from the Giants was messy, but it wasn’t the result of his sudden inability to coach. He can still motivate players, devise intelligent game plans and lead a team to perennial success. His tenure in New York was just past its prime. Coughlin wouldn’t be a flashy signing by the Rams, but it would be a smart one. He would bring experience and leadership and command respect from both veterans and rookies. After seeing the way players were uninspired under Fisher, finding a head coach who guys want to play for is key.

Andrew Weber-USA TODAY Sports Andrew Weber

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
from that list put me down for a dose of the Jim Bob's ..

FRO

Legend
Norv Turner? Is that a serious article?

David Shaw is the top target for me.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Norv Turner? Is that a serious article?

David Shaw is the top target for me.

Ludicrous suggestion with Turner another pundit not doing his research because Coaches don't get 4 chances with losing records. Turner a 114-122 career record as a Head Coach again just trying to bring up names without doing a little research, which is par for the course in social media today although it's right at everyone's fingertips.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Harbaugh > Shaw > Shanahan, please.

Add in Defensive Coordinator Matt Patricia and I concur with the list, however, like or not Josh McDaniels will get plenty of play from the Rams.

Last edited:

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Can somebody sell me on Shaw? I have a feeling he's going to be the guy but I just don't know enough about him. Maybe some stanford highlights or something.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
One of the biggest issues during Fisher’s tenure with the Rams was his inability to lead an offense and develop quarterbacks.
I agree that there hasn't been much of an offense to speak of, but where does this "inability to develop quarterbacks" come from? The former doesn't validate the latter. When your quarterbacks are Bradford, Clemens, Hill, Davis, and Keenum, where does the opportunity arise to turn them into elites? Who's been able to do that with any of those guys? Is it because Goff took 10 games to learn the intricacies of a pro-style NFL offense?
Here are the top seven names the Rams should look out to fill the void left by Fisher.
This is clearly an amateur writer. But that aside, those are the top seven names for every coaching vacancy this off-season. I wouldn't measure their worth by their ability to develop quarterbacks. Even if you hire the very best at that, and they suck at hiring coordinators or relating to players, then all you have is a properly developed QB on a wrecked team. The Rams need someone with Coughlin's leadership skills and his ability to hire good assistants, but without being the oldest coach in the league. And I notice Chuckie isn't on that list - even though he's expressed some interest in returning to coaching. Guy can't help but say "That's a guy I'd have on MY team" every single time he announces a game. Clearly he's still got the itch.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Add in Defensive Coordinator Matt Patricia and I concur with the list, however, like or not Josh McDaniels will get plenty of play from the Rams.

Two reasons why I'm a little leery of Matt Patricia:

1) The track record of Belichick disciples promoted to HC is less than stellar. McDaniels, Crennel, and Mangina have all crashed and burned....right now, Bill O'Brien down in Houston might be the best of the bunch, but the Texans also have the luxury of playing in the AFC South where an 8-8 record might be good enough to win the division.

2) He's running a 3-4 D in New England -- don't know if he'd try to take the Rams' D to a 3-4 or if he'd be willing to run a 4-3. Either way, somebody has to make a transition. I'd rather have a coach bringing in a defensive scheme that's "move-in ready" for the current personnel.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
And yet....watch it be Gruden. Lolz....

…..

Legend
I agree that there hasn't been much of an offense to speak of, but where does this "inability to develop quarterbacks" come from? The former doesn't validate the latter. When your quarterbacks are Bradford, Clemens, Hill, Davis, and Keenum, where does the opportunity arise to turn them into elites? Who's been able to do that with any of those guys? Is it because Goff took 10 games to learn the intricacies of a pro-style NFL offense?

Naw.... I think you're reaching a bit to be the counter argument to a simple statement.

There ARE quarterback guru's. There are QB whisperers. Jeff Fisher aint one of them. You don't have to do a lot of home work to be able to come to the conclusion that Jeff Fisher is not a developer of quarterbacks.

Chip Kelly is one. Adam Gase another. Jim Caldwell has been called a QB guru when he agreed to be the Lions coach and he has Stafford playing at elite levels. To me, a bit biased but Mike Martz was one of the best ever.

One person that will never come up in a QB Guru conversation.....Jeff Fisher. Using your examples of Ram QB's does not change reality just because they aren't named Warner, Brady or Manning.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Naw.... I think you're reaching a bit to be the counter argument to a simple statement.

There ARE quarterback guru's. There are QB whisperers. Jeff Fisher aint one of them. You don't have to do a lot of home work to be able to come to the conclusion that Jeff Fisher is not a developer of quarterbacks.
Yeah, for sure. I know there are QB-centric head coaches. I'm just wondering where the evidence is that he's not able to do it, especially when you consider the caliber of guys he's been working with over the years. I think the disconnect is between his personal involvement in QBs and his hiring of staff who are able to develop the QB (QB coaches, OC's, etc). There are only a handful of head coaches who can personally develop a QB. The rest have to hire the right staff to do that job. In that regard, maybe Fisher hasn't done a great job in hiring the right people - but again, consider the clay he's had to mold.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Why couldn't Mike Shanahan be on the list? He has more HC coaching experience than all of them put together, a winning record, two superbowls and has developed young QB's. Not considered because he hasn't been in football a couple of years?

Just sayin, don't rule out M Shanahan if it's exprience Mr. Kroenke is looking for to replace Fisher. Rams haven't had a very good track record hiring 1st year HC's.

Last edited:

…..

Legend
Yeah, for sure. I know there are QB-centric head coaches. I'm just wondering where the evidence is that he's not able to do it, especially when you consider the caliber of guys he's been working with over the years. I think the disconnect is between his personal involvement in QBs and his hiring of staff who are able to develop the QB (QB coaches, OC's, etc). There are only a handful of head coaches who can personally develop a QB. The rest have to hire the right staff to do that job. In that regard, maybe Fisher hasn't done a great job in hiring the right people - but again, consider the clay he's had to mold.

True true...I can get behind ya when you put it that way.

BTW....good to see ya brudda

Lesson

Oh, really?
Why couldn't Mike Shanahan be on the list? He has more HC coaching experience than all of them put together, a winning record, two superbowls and has developed young QB's. Not considered because he hasn't been in football a couple of years?

Just sayin, don't rule out M Shanahan if it's exprience Mr. Kroenke is looking for to replace Fisher. Rams haven't had a very good track record hiring 1st year HC's.

What young QB did Shanahan develop?

I'd say Cutler. And that might be it.

He didn't really develop RG3. He had the foresight to draft Cousins, but he didn't really develop him either. Gruden did.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
Two reasons why I'm a little leery of Matt Patricia:

1) The track record of Belichick disciples promoted to HC is less than stellar. McDaniels, Crennel, and Mangina have all crashed and burned....right now, Bill O'Brien down in Houston might be the best of the bunch, but the Texans also have the luxury of playing in the AFC South where an 8-8 record might be good enough to win the division.

2) He's running a 3-4 D in New England -- don't know if he'd try to take the Rams' D to a 3-4 or if he'd be willing to run a 4-3. Either way, somebody has to make a transition. I'd rather have a coach bringing in a defensive scheme that's "move-in ready" for the current personnel.
I talked to a few ppl and I want to say Patricia runs a hybrid Defense..he runs some 4-3 in New England. I would like if they could keep he 4-3 /4/2 scheme we have currently. We just need to play more man coverage. I could not stand the zone coverage.