Arians playing to win tonight but not winning

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I think he was right. Palmer, Peterson, & Veldheer all played like crap(am I allowing to cuss here or is that against forum rules here?). Calais played undisciplined, too. I don't see where he was wrong, though he didn't coach a very good game either. He deserves blame, too.

If his "crappy personality" leads us further & further each season, then I'm all for it my man :)
Well yeah they did didn't play well i agree, but why call out your best guys in public?

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Live by the sword... die by the sword.

Ariel kept trying to make up the deficit with big plays, that back-fired.

Might have been better off - just once - to take a more conservative approach to getting back into the game.

The hole just kept getting bigger... and bigger...

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
played like crap(am I allowing to cuss here or is that against forum rules here?).
Shit no. Where the fuck do you think you are?o_O

Seriously though, we only ask that members don't go off the rails with it with profanity laced tirades. But using profanity is ok here. There is a profanity filter for those who don't want it to show up on their computer.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Seems like the NFC West has had some real doozies for head coaches as of late. Arians, Harbaugh, Carroll, Fisher, and now Chip Kelly, each with their own distinct personality. Let us not forget Mike Singletary who was the HC for the 49ers before Harbaugh, and dropped his pants at half-time(among other things that got him fired).

These characters are at the very least entertaining. It's better than the drab and boring Linehan and Spags we had to endure in the past.

Bottom line though is can they get their teams to the playoffs? Fisher has not. An HC can be quirky and even a jerk as long as he has a winning team. This is why so many detest Arian's personality but would love to have him coach our team.

Heck, I would take Bill Belichick, evil personified, if it meant getting to the playoffs every season.

DVontel

Rookie
Well yeah they did didn't play well i agree, but why call out your best guys in public?
Why not?

If they didn't play like their best guys on the team, then they deserved to get call out for not playing like the best guys on the team. No sugar coating crap.

Even before Bruce arrived at AZ, I was never against coaches calling out their players in public for playing poorly.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
They do look nasty.It just sux ,that as rams fans this the only joy we get out of playoffs
is rooting for other teams

I wish there was a way all four teams in the divisional games could have lost

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Why not?

If they didn't play like their best guys on the team, then they deserved to get call out for not playing like the best guys on the team. No sugar coating crap.

Even before Bruce arrived at AZ, I was never against coaches calling out their players in public for playing poorly.
To me this comes down to leadership style in terms of a HC. You have good HC's who are players coaches, the hard-nosed type and some who walk the line in between. I have always leaned towards the players coach myself. I believe that what goes on behind closed doors is where you call out your guys...especially your best guys. Challenging them in public is just not a motivational tool IMO. It comes across as a deflection of blame to me. Fans get mad at players for playing like shit(myself included) and i suppose it satisfies the fan to hear it from the HC publicly, because if the HC doesn't call him out...then the fan perceives it as the HC is oblivious to the obvious.

I don't know what you do for a living but i've been in a leadership role and if I had taking a beating in a football game like that and my best guys came up short i think i'd just call out David Johnson for showing up prepared, give kudos to the other team, say we need to get better, apologize to the fans and move on. Calling out the QB who got you there, your Pro Bowl CB, and and your HOF WR accomplishes nothing IMO. Save that for the locker room and team meetings.
Just my take. It sounds like we disagree on our preference of head coaching style and that's fine.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Actually, I watched Arian's post game interview, too.

I would describe him as subdued, humble, and classy. But that's just me.

Couple of things...

You want classless? Let's don't forget Fisher sending out all those RG3 trade picks for the coin toss in Washington in '14. That was embarrassingly classless. ESPECIALLY coming from a HC yet to enjoy a winning season with the Rams after 4 years. Meanwhile, those Redskins went to the damned playoffs. But I digress...

Second, I LIKE a little edge in my HC. IF he can back it up on the field. Arians usually does. Us old farts remember Ray Malavasi doing that frequently back in the day. That was my favorite thing about Malavasi. Lol.

Look, I get that it's easy to hate on opposing HC's in our division. I felt the same way about Harbaugh, and still do about Carroll. But for some reason, I just feel more mellow about Arians. A respect thing for his accomplishments after a long and tough wait to get his HC opportunity.

I will close with this...

I would trade Fisher for Arians in a heartbeat if given the opportunity. AND offer to pay Fisher's final year $7 million contract, to boot.

I'd trade any/all Rams QB's on the roster for Palmer and wouldn't care who the HC was :)

Rams43

Hall of Fame

I hear ya, Mojo.

But the NFL is different than the corporate world, I guess.

Anyway, the blunt approach is how Arians rolls. Not a PC bone in his body.

And by all accounts, his players love and respect him. Would run through a brick wall to enter a burning building for him. A little George Patton and John Wayne type leadership, maybe. Gotta admire that.

But his results are what win me over. I would love to have his results on our Ram team.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
And by all accounts, his players love and respect him. Would run through a brick wall to enter a burning building for him. A little George Patton and John Wayne type leadership, maybe. Gotta admire that.
Well i think that's debatable...especially when you compare a players coach like Fisher to a guy like Arians. I don't think you'll find anyone that will say that Fisher's players wouldn't run thru a wall for him. Name me a coach who gets his players to play harder than Fisher's guys. Short list.
I think Arians' guys have a very high respect for the guy because of the success, but there's a difference between the two.