Anyone else frustrated with the lack of aggression?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jjab360

Legend
No, not really. Almost every move being made right now just reeks of desperation. Notice the teams making all the big moves: Raiders, Bills, Dolphins, Jaguars, etc. and notice the teams not making noise right now: Patriots, Seahawks, Packers, Ravens, etc. Great FOs make shrewd, patient moves, emphasize re-signing their own players, don't throw huge contracts around getting into unnecessary bidding wars, and don't rush into decisions that could have negative consequences later down the road.

Last edited:

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It is frustrating. FA might be a waste of money, but it's also the only place to get proven NFL players to upgrade your roster.

The same people in this thread that are preaching patience and saying we should stay away from big name free agents are probably the same people that bitched about GRob and Joyner not producing as rookies.

You want to rely on our current players getting better for our only upgrades? Be my guest....I don't. We need more. And you simply cannot count on a rookie to produce their rookie year.

Once you factor in rookie signings and vet FAs to fill your roster bc of injuries, the Rams will have what, $15-$20mil to spend on FAs (assuming Long and Wells are cut)? As long as they spend that money I'll be happy.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
If you look at the front page of ESPN you'll see the NFL just sent a message to all 32 NFL teams about contract leaks.
None of this should be public knowledge yet. FA starts in another day. I'm amazed that there is as much reporting about players signing as there has been.
It's breaking the rules really. The RAMS still have some work to do to give us the cap room we need. I don't expect a ton of action but hopefully we make a strong push for Iupati, Blalock, or some real OL help/depth.

So be patient as technically nothing should be happening for anyone.

ram007

Starter
Rams don't have Cap to spend on most of these FA's. I wish we could have got Rodney Hudson. But again no one can outbid stupidity (ie Raiders). Other meeehhh

jjab360

Legend
It is frustrating. FA might be a waste of money, but it's also the only place to get proven NFL players to upgrade your roster.

The same people in this thread that are preaching patience and saying we should stay away from big name free agents are probably the same people that bitched about GRob and Joyner not producing as rookies.

You want to rely on our current players getting better for our only upgrades? Be my guest....I don't. We need more. And you simply cannot count on a rookie to produce their rookie year.

Once you factor in rookie signings and vet FAs to fill your roster bc of injuries, the Rams will have what, $15-$20mil to spend on FAs (assuming Long and Wells are cut)? As long as they spend that money I'll be happy.
Personally, I was content with their production as rookies and optimistic about their potential in the future. And consider that Donald was arguably as good or almost as good as Suh last year who just made 115 million dollars on the open market. Gaines was a 6th round rookie who was arguably just as good as Byron Maxwell who made 63 million dollars from the Eagles. Anybody you sign on the first or second day of Free Agency is going to be ridiculously overpaid and it's just not worth it.

jjab360

Legend
If you look at the front page of ESPN you'll see the NFL just sent a message to all 32 NFL teams about contract leaks.
None of this should be public knowledge yet. FA starts in another day. I'm amazed that there is as much reporting about players signing as there has been.
It's breaking the rules really. The RAMS still have some work to do to give us the cap room we need. I don't expect a ton of action but hopefully we make a strong push for Iupati, Blalock, or some real OL help/depth.

So be patient as technically nothing should be happening for anyone.
Technically teams are allowed to negotiate three days before the beginning of free agency, so if players come to terms right now, it's in the legal gray area as long as they don't sign until tomorrow.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No, not really. Almost every move being made right now just reeks of desperation. Notice the teams making all the big moves: Raiders, Bills, Dolphins, Jaguars, etc. and notice the teams not making noise right now: Patriots, Seahawks, Packers, Ravens, etc. Great FOs make shrewd, patient moves, emphasize re-signing their own players, don't throw huge contracts around getting into unnecessary bidding wars, and don't rush into decisions that could have negative consequences later down the road.

I hear what you're saying, the only glaring problem problem I see with your argument is the following facts:

Desperate Group
Raiders: 3-13
Jaguars: 3-13
Dolphins: 8-8
Bills: 9-7

vs

Patient Group
Patriots: 12-4
Seahawks: 12-4
Packers: 12-4
Ravens: 10-6

Which division do you think the Rams at 6-10 fit in best?

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think I may not have made myself clear - I didn't say I wanted us to spend big bucks on players, just boost the areas where we are in desperate need. O-line / QB / OLB - pick up a tried and tested VET and double up in the Draft if needs be, at least have that option...

jjab360

Legend
I hear what you're saying, the only glaring problem problem I see with your argument is the following facts:

Desperate Group

vs

Patient Group

I'd say desperation is mostly determined by how secure your job is. The Rams are in the unique situation where we have underperformed due to circumstances yet our GM and HC aren't anywhere near the hot seat. We also don't have much money to spend so there's that.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
The only answers I want are how this team plays once the season starts...I don't care how they get there if they win...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nope. If there's anything our FO doesn't lack, it's aggression. But I'd rather see the aggression where it helps...the draft...than where it often hurts...free agency.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Not really, rushing and throwing yourselves at free agents like some sort of town skank never works out, just ask the Skins and the Eagles how well it works out. I'd rather slow and methodical, than just greedily gobbling up people we don't need.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Firstly let me apologise in advance for this thread, I'm in need of a vent, I'm driving my wife insane with my rating...

I'm just totally fed up with the lack of aggression we seem to have during the off-season and especially FA. We have glaring holes to fill in our roster and we seem to be sat on our hands. My main rants are:

1. I was annoyed at the OC situation, if our intention WAS to employ from within, then just get on with it and announce it. We were pussyfooting around with also-rans - which turned us down, so it looked like an, "ohh well, lets give our own guy a shot" moment.

2. Our FA silence. We only have a couple of picks in this years draft, and far too many holes - what's up with the inactivity during FA?? I've stopped listening and reading interviews with Snisher - because if I hear, we're building through the draft, I'm gonna flip!

3. We are in desperate need of a DECENT back-up QB, I think we've seen the best we can expect from Hill, and the news that we're in contract talks with him really disappoints me, lets cut ties and get someone else or commit to Davis - or cut him if we don't think he's up to the job. There are plenty of guys out there, I can expand on this if needed.

4. Our beloved O-line, the way I see it we need an OT, OG and potentially a C.
    JLong, is too much of an injury risk to be a shoe-in starter, he's a vet minimum backup now (if we keep him), Wells (needs to retire - I will not expand on this), Davin Joseph (thanks, but no thanks) - start Barrett Jones, he SHOULD be our centre for the future. He was highly regarded in college and through the draft, I'm surprised we haven't been able to make him work - what's going on.

5. All of this comes down to a lack of aggression (well it looks like it) from the FO. Other teams in need seem to be adding valuable additions to their squads, even if its going to be for a year or two, I'm fed up of this youngest team on the block b*ll*cks. When gives a flying fish, bring in a couple of guys that are going to get us those extra wins to turn us into a winning side, not a sub 8-8 team. If its for a season or two then great, I can live with that, because all these young dudes we're training up, as soon as their contracts are up for renewal, we won't be able to afford EVERYONE, you know whats going to happen, they're going to do an Amendola, they're going to head to a team with play-off potential. If thats what the league want from the Rams then you know what I'm out...

6. ...and while I'm at it, if we hit pre-season softly-softly again I'll explode, same goes for the start of the season, we need to compete for the first 4 games, our defense needs to be awake!
Sorry guys, feel a bit better now...

Hell no.

FA is so overrated.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

Along with jjab, count me out of that group. I was encouraged with what I saw of GRob last year, even at LT. He was improving as the season wore on, and I thought he was better than could be expected for a guy that came in so bloody raw from the type of college offense he did. Joyner looked like a rookie 2nd rounder much of the time, but he made a few strides too. He was just overshadowed by the fact that the play of EJ Gaines far exceeded his draft postion ... which is all the more reason to give this FO the benefit of the doubt.

In fact, if you look at the three drafts this FO has done, they've had at least one draft pick in the 5th round or later that became a major contributor in their rookie season (GZ in '12, Stacy in '13, and EJ in '14). In other words, they seem to know what they are doing.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
...and while I'm at it, if we hit pre-season softly-softly again I'll explode, same goes for the start of the season, we need to compete for the first 4 games, our defense needs to be awake!
I got your back on this one.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Desperate Group

vs

Patient Group

How does that compare with teams that have cap room?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

Nope.

The real irony is people screaming for the Rams to be aggressive are the same ones screaming for Jake Long and Scott Wells to be cut (and Cortland Finnegan last year).

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Technically teams are allowed to negotiate three days before the beginning of free agency, so if players come to terms right now, it's in the legal gray area as long as they don't sign until tomorrow.
Fair enough, didn't know that. But we both know a ton of these agreements were outside of that window.