Anyone else frustrated with the lack of aggression?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Firstly let me apologise in advance for this thread, I'm in need of a vent, I'm driving my wife insane with my rating...

I'm just totally fed up with the lack of aggression we seem to have during the off-season and especially FA. We have glaring holes to fill in our roster and we seem to be sat on our hands. My main rants are:

1. I was annoyed at the OC situation, if our intention WAS to employ from within, then just get on with it and announce it. We were pussyfooting around with also-rans - which turned us down, so it looked like an, "ohh well, lets give our own guy a shot" moment.

2. Our FA silence. We only have a couple of picks in this years draft, and far too many holes - what's up with the inactivity during FA?? I've stopped listening and reading interviews with Snisher - because if I hear, we're building through the draft, I'm gonna flip!

3. We are in desperate need of a DECENT back-up QB, I think we've seen the best we can expect from Hill, and the news that we're in contract talks with him really disappoints me, lets cut ties and get someone else or commit to Davis - or cut him if we don't think he's up to the job. There are plenty of guys out there, I can expand on this if needed.

4. Our beloved O-line, the way I see it we need an OT, OG and potentially a C.
    JLong, is too much of an injury risk to be a shoe-in starter, he's a vet minimum backup now (if we keep him), Wells (needs to retire - I will not expand on this), Davin Joseph (thanks, but no thanks) - start Barrett Jones, he SHOULD be our centre for the future. He was highly regarded in college and through the draft, I'm surprised we haven't been able to make him work - what's going on.

5. All of this comes down to a lack of aggression (well it looks like it) from the FO. Other teams in need seem to be adding valuable additions to their squads, even if its going to be for a year or two, I'm fed up of this youngest team on the block b*ll*cks. When gives a flying fish, bring in a couple of guys that are going to get us those extra wins to turn us into a winning side, not a sub 8-8 team. If its for a season or two then great, I can live with that, because all these young dudes we're training up, as soon as their contracts are up for renewal, we won't be able to afford EVERYONE, you know whats going to happen, they're going to do an Amendola, they're going to head to a team with play-off potential. If thats what the league want from the Rams then you know what I'm out...

6. ...and while I'm at it, if we hit pre-season softly-softly again I'll explode, same goes for the start of the season, we need to compete for the first 4 games, our defense needs to be awake!
Sorry guys, feel a bit better now...

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Other teams in need seem to be adding valuable additions to their squads, even if its going to be for a year or two, I'm fed up of this youngest team on the block b*ll*cks. When gives a flying fish, bring in a couple of guys that are going to get us those extra wins to turn us into a winning side, not a sub 8-8 team. If its for a season or two then great, I can live with that, because all these young dudes we're training up, as soon as their contracts are up for renewal, we won't be able to afford EVERYONE, you know whats going to happen, they're going to do an Amendola, they're going to head to a team with play-off potential. If thats what the league want from the Rams then you know what I'm out...

All those teams you see signing players right now, they aren't allowed to. They're going to face punishment from the league for it. So in the long run, we might be doing the right thing. We don't have a lot of cap space either, so we can't sign many players. I'm sure we've tried.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
I understand where you're coming from. It is a little frustrating to not see them be aggressive. With the OC, I agree, if it was their intention to hire from within, they should have immediately done it. With FA, I agree. If there are guys they know that they are interested and want to try to sign, why not start negotiating now? Doesn't make sense to wait if there are guys there you want. I'm not saying that they go out and spend money on the big name guys. Just go start talking to guys they have interest in. Would be nice to see a rumor about the Rams getting someone. Even if it is a guy who will be here to compete for a fringe starter/backup position.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Not particularly. Especially with the NFL now claiming that they're looking into violations of the rules laid out for this "legal tampering" window.

Looks like they're playing by the rules, rather than being conservative.

If we don't sign anybody by Thursday, I'll be a lot more concerned.

Ltrautman

MIZ
All those teams you see signing players right now, they aren't allowed to. They're going to face punishment from the league for it. So in the long run, we might be doing the right thing. We don't have a lot of cap space either, so we can't sign many players. I'm sure we've tried.

they arent actually signing they are just negotiating and agreeing, which was allowed starting Saturday March 7

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
they arent actually signing they are just negotiating and agreeing, which was allowed starting Saturday March 7

The fact is, teams are not supposed to be "in agreement with" over a set contract at this point in time. That's against the tampering window as well. Signing or not, they ARE violating the rules.

FRO

Legend
I can understand the frustration with the OC. As far as free agents I wouldn't sweat it. In 2-3 years the guys signed now will be getting cut. We went big in free agency in 2012 and 2013 and none of the big contracts we signed were really good value. The best signings have been Hayes and Britt. Both were signed off one year deals. Hope we bargin shop in free agency and get some stop gap types and low risk high reward types.

jap

Legend
People obssess way too much over FA. It's best to use FA for stop gap selections mostly, with a few occasional impact picks if one has|creates the cap space. You build mostly through the draft with good scouting and an eye to team schemes.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler

They're not allowed to discuss financials.

Just going off the contract numbers that we're seeing, I'd say that's been thrown out the window by some clubs.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Regarding the free agency, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Look at how our free agent signings of the past have worked out. Jake Long, Wells, Finnegan, Cook and further back the likes of the centre from Baltimore (Jason Brown?). On the whole do you look back on those signings and do it all over again?

Long was solid for a couple of years and Cook does add something but overall they haven't been good moves. Ok I'm being selective (and I've missed loads) but the best FA signings that Snisher has made have been more low key like Hayes and Britt.

FA is overrated.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

But it just seems like we're missing out on key FAs...

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Regarding the free agency, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Look at how our free agent signings of the past have worked out. Jake Long, Wells, Finnegan, Cook and further back the likes of the centre from Baltimore (Jason Brown?). On the whole do you look back on those signings and do it all over again?

Long was solid for a couple of years and Cook does add something but overall they haven't been good moves. Ok I'm being selective (and I've missed loads) but the best FA signings that Snisher has made have been more low key like Hayes and Britt.

FA is overrated.

ANY FA news would be good, even if its our own guys.

Long has been ok (when healthy) - Finnegan worked for a while, until something was just turned off. Wells, has bombed. Cook - I was never a fan of his signing, and yes he adds 'something' but he's not worth what he's being paid

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Agree with the frustration. Only thing I can think of is that they may think they have a slightly better bargaining position with a potential replacement if they haven't officially cut anyone yet.
That's quite a reach though.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
But it just seems like we're missing out on key FAs...

I thought FA started on the 7th?

Maybe so, but it's better to play by the rules and miss out than cheat and get the player. For all we know we could lose draft picks or have the contracts terminated or both. It's not worth it. Have to play it smart.

The tampering period starts on the 7th. Actual free agency starts tomorrow on the 10th.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
ANY FA news would be good, even if its our own guys.

Long has been ok (when healthy) - Finnegan worked for a while, until something was just turned off. Wells, has bombed. Cook - I was never a fan of his signing, and yes he adds 'something' but he's not worth what he's being paid

I agree about cook not being worth the money. The centre that just went to Oakland isn't the best centre in the league but he's now gonna get paid as if he is. They were going to overpay Saffold last year too.

This is what happens in free agency. Leave it to the likes of Oakland

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Everyone has pretty much stated we won't be signing any big names. Maybe a "2nd" waver, but no big splashes. And as to our FAs, I think we do have some guys in mind and then they will go after ours as they "fall" into place.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Not now.

They were plenty aggressive in their search for OC IMO. They asked to talk to guys but for various reasons beyond their control couldn't bring them in. Would have loved to have gotten Chud on board, but despite their efforts to get an interview, the Rams never got the chance. I have no problem with them waiting to announce Cig, since he was already on board. With Cig there, they could take their time and do their due diligence since they had their fallback option already in house. It's not as if Cig lost any time getting to know the offense or the players.

Free agency? I don't want them to go crazy with big $$. Would like to hear Britt is re-signed, but I'm ok with mid-tier FA's vs. the big money guys. I want to save cap $$ to re-sign the high draft picks we've brought in. As far as holes, right now I see C, G, possibly RT. We don't have to fill all of those with FA, might be able to fill one or more with in-house guys, and will certainly have a chance to draft one in a class that is solid at OL.

Backup QB? Not much out there. No sense in rushing and overpaying for one.

I understand wanting answers now, but sometimes it just takes time.