Any word on Grob starting this week?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
After last week's terrible showing for the Oline how can he not be in there???

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I too can't wait to see him in their, But he, honestly, didn't look ready last week.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
....and yet, when he was in there, he was as much a part of the problem as any of the guys he would be replacing!

Nothing to indicate they are making any lineup changes other than the obvious LDE spot, and QB spot is still in question.

jjab360

Legend
....and yet, when he was in there, he was as much a part of the problem as any of the guys he would be replacing!
Was he? I know it was only 9 snaps but he did nothing but handle the guy in front of him, far more than our other linemen seemed capable of.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Was he? I know it was only 9 snaps but he did nothing but handle the guy in front of him, far more than our other linemen seemed capable of.
I guess you didn't see him give the ole' block on the play that resulted in the pick six? He has very little idea of what to do when they run any kind of a stunt in front of him. He continually blocks the wrong guy, and doesn't seem to understand the concept of passing off and picking up someone who may not have started the play lined up across from him.

PhxRam

He continually blocks the wrong guy, and doesn't seem to understand the concept of passing off and picking up someone who may not have started the play lined up across from him

I thought Wells and Long were there to make sure they communicated that to him?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I thought Wells and Long were there to make sure they communicated that to him?
There's only so much they can do presnap. But when d-lines run stunts, not much anyone can do once the ball is snapped to communicate that. And that's where he struggles.

IMO, it would have been even worse for him early in the game, as Minnesota was stunting a lot, especially in the run game. Ran slants with the d-line trying to sell out to stop the running game. Rarely did they just line up and play the gap in front of them. It's a risk vs. reward way to play defense, because if they slant the wrong direction, it can be very susceptible to a big cut back run. But they seemed to be pretty effective in limiting the running game early on.

iced

he didn't pick up the stunt on his first snap, allowing pressure when davis threw the pick 6.

But I'll take that because Joseph has already proven he shouldn't be in the line up.... no namers were able to get past him to the qb

PhxRam

There's only so much they can do presnap. But when d-lines run stunts, not much anyone can do once the ball is snapped to communicate that. And that's where he struggles.

IMO, it would have been even worse for him early in the game, as Minnesota was stunting a lot, especially in the run game. Ran slants with the d-line trying to sell out to stop the running game. Rarely did they just line up and play the gap in front of them. It's a risk vs. reward way to play defense, because if they slant the wrong direction, it can be very susceptible to a big cut back run. But they seemed to be pretty effective in limiting the running game early on.

good explanation..

This may sound pretty stupid but would long be better served playing on the inside next to wells to solidify the middle and let grob play the tackle position where they seemingly play more man vs. man?

PeteMD

UDFA
I guess you didn't see him give the ole' block on the play that resulted in the pick six? He has very little idea of what to do when they run any kind of a stunt in front of him. He continually blocks the wrong guy, and doesn't seem to understand the concept of passing off and picking up someone who may not have started the play lined up across from him.

That is not an encouragingly evaluation.. I hoped, that G. Robinson would pick it up faster considering being coached by - presumably - one of the best o-line coaches in the NFL.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
good explanation..

This may sound pretty stupid but would long be better served playing on the inside next to wells to solidify the middle and let grob play the tackle position where they seemingly play more man vs. man?
I don't see that being better. Robinson will be fine, but he just isn't far enough along to understand the complexities of the NFL yet. Long has never played inside, so I don't see where that is advantageous.

I am not ready to concede that this oline, as it is comprised right now, is going to struggle. I also don't think they played as poorly as many seem to think they did. A lot of what happened in that game, in terms of pressures, mostly occurred with a 3rd string QB in the game who has very little understanding of where the pressure was coming from. And once they fell behind by 2 scores, it only exaggerated the problem.

Once again, for me, last week just furthers the point that this team needs to find a way to get an early lead.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
We've certainly had worse than Long, Saffold, Wells, Joseph and Bazzoka.

These guys need time together to improve. Even though it was frustrating at times, the pass blocking wasn't terrible last week. The run blocking....not that great. I hope they had a GREAT week in practice.

Also, I thought minn looked very good. Who knows, they may actually be better than most people have given them credit for. They have some of the best talent in the league and Norv Turner has always been one of the best OCs in the game.

I'm ready for Sunday.

iced

going through his snaps at the end of the minny game..

He comes in at 3:14 in the 4th qtr for anyone with game rewind.

1st snap - whiffs on the stunt, barr forces the throw, pick 6, davis took a good shot
2nd snap - falls back a bit but regains balance and blocks off defender, no pressure allowed.. looked better
3rd snap - great job, threw the linemen to the ground.
4th snap - walled off defender well
5th snap - gets pushed a bit back into the pocket, digs in and seals off the blocker.
6th snap - first run play... ran 5 yards before he ran into a line backer, and only got one arm on him. Could have been a much better block.
7 snap - irrelevant - snap flies over qb's head and he had no one to block initially
8th snap - holds block eventually gets pushed into qb.

IMO , he needs to work on picking up stunts/recognition, and not getting pushed so far back... he looks like he either he is stepping too far back or is being pushed back on pass pro. And for what its worth the first snap was the only stunt I saw.

Last edited:

AZRamsFan93

Robinson will be fine, but he just isn't far enough along to understand the complexities of the NFL yet.
Yet, it is a good thing that are the youngest team in the NFL every year? I am not saying that you think that, but the Rams franchise seems to wear that fact like a badge of honor. IMHO they need to start drafting more polished talent rather than very athletic players (projects) that they hope will someday learn how to play. I think that the fact that GRob can't break into the offensive line after how they played last week is a red flag. I sure hope they don't have another Jason Smith on the team. Wasn't an amazing yet raw athlete as well?
Once again, for me, last week just furthers the point that this team needs to find a way to get an early lead.
I agree, and that does not bode well for this week. Tampa will be blitzing the house after Austin Davis. Unless he is a completely different QB than last week I don't expect the offense to be on the field very much.

CoachO

Hall of Fame

IMO , he needs to work on picking up stunts/recognition, and not getting pushed so far back... he looks like he either he is stepping too far back or is being pushed back on pass pro. And for what its worth the first snap was the only stunt I saw.

And was the one he completely blew his assignment on. Not saying he misses on every stunt. But he does struggle when they run them.

jjab360

Legend

He comes in at 3:14 in the 4th qtr for anyone with game rewind.

1st snap - whiffs on the stunt, barr forces the throw, pick 6, davis took a good shot
2nd snap - falls back a bit but regains balance and blocks off defender, no pressure allowed.. looked better
3rd snap - great job, threw the linemen to the ground.
4th snap - walled off defender well
5th snap - gets pushed a bit back into the pocket, digs in and seals off the blocker.
6th snap - first run play... ran 5 yards before he ran into a line backer, and only got one arm on him. Could have been a much better block.
7 snap - irrelevant - snap flies over qb's head and he had no one to block initially
8th snap - holds block eventually gets pushed into qb.

Watched the same plays. Outside of the missed stunt, looked good to me.

jjab360

Legend
Yet, it is a good thing that are the youngest team in the NFL every year? I am not saying that you think that, but the Rams franchise seems to wear that fact like a badge of honor. IMHO they need to start drafting more polished talent rather than very athletic players (projects) that they hope will someday learn how to play. I think that the fact that GRob can't break into the offensive line after how they played last week is a red flag. I sure hope they don't have another Jason Smith on the team. Wasn't an amazing yet raw athlete as well?
The only thing amazing about Smith was how amazingly overrated he was heading into the draft. Hated the pick, should've gone Monroe.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I agree, and that does not bode well for this week. Tampa will be blitzing the house after Austin Davis. Unless he is a completely different QB than last week I don't expect the offense to be on the field very much.

Not sure what your definition is of a "more polished" choice would have been. Matthews? And where exactly would he have fit in on THIS YEAR's team? I guess we just disagree on how they performed last week. And who was mostly responsible for the 5 sacks.

As to Tampa blitzing, while it might happen, it would go against the grain that is the staple of Lovie's "Tampa 2" scheme. They rely on getting pressure from the front four, and drop 7 into coverage MOST of the time.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Not sure what you're seeing CoachO, I've gotta side with JJ on this one. Robinson looked bad on the stunt, his first regular season play, but after that he looked like a wall to me.

He's going against a very good DT most of the time too.