Any word on Grob starting this week?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

cracengl

Rookie
I guess you didn't see him give the ole' block on the play that resulted in the pick six? He has very little idea of what to do when they run any kind of a stunt in front of him. He continually blocks the wrong guy, and doesn't seem to understand the concept of passing off and picking up someone who may not have started the play lined up across from him.

Any idea why? I mean, is it just him being raw, confused by learning 2 positions at once, or something else? It seems like maybe he's getting flustered and just needs a chance to clear his head. Sometimes you get in a frenzy and even the simple things become hard.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yet, it is a good thing that are the youngest team in the NFL every year? I am not saying that you think that, but the Rams franchise seems to wear that fact like a badge of honor.

I agree, and that does not bode well for this week. Tampa will be blitzing the house after Austin Davis. Unless he is a completely different QB than last week I don't expect the offense to be on the field very much.

It is a badge of honor. It means you have a bright future if the young players are any good. It's all about rebuilding for sustainability.

Lovie Smith and Leslie Frazier are not known for being blitz heavy or running exotic blitzes. They run the Tampa 2 which is fairly straight-forward and focus more than anything on execution on the back-end and pressuring with the front 4.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Any idea why? I mean, is it just him being raw, confused by learning 2 positions at once, or something else? It seems like maybe he's getting flustered and just needs a chance to clear his head. Sometimes you get in a frenzy and even the simple things become hard.

He didn't recognize it. That's why. If he had, he would have given ground so that he could take Stacy's man and allow Stacy to pick his man up. Simply didn't see and then tried to continue to mirror his man rather than adjust to pick up the blitzer. He needs time. Isn't really seeing the whole picture right now.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I'm not sure we would want his first start to be opposite Gerald McCoy - but I'm looking forward to seeing him on the field when he is ready.

If I had to guess, I would say game 4 - fresh off of the bye week - is his first start.

cracengl

Rookie
He didn't recognize it. That's why. If he had, he would have given ground so that he could take Stacy's man and allow Stacy to pick his man up. Simply didn't see and then tried to continue to mirror his man rather than adjust to pick up the blitzer. He needs time. Isn't really seeing the whole picture right now.
I suppose that's what I was getting at, is not seeing the big picture. I guess it's convenient to use a guy with his athletic ability to backup 2 positions. But, in Greg's case, it seems like they miscalculated the effect it would have on him and they overloaded him.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
While I think with Quick it was obvious he would need a lot more time to get up to speed I really expected Robinson to be in the starting line up day 1 and not look back. Picking at #2 overall I cannot see passed getting a guy who contributes immediately. Perhaps I just expect too much but if the second best player coming out of college (I know based on his draft position) can't play is that a reflection on our player evaluation or coaching ability??

Irish

Starter
Why doesn't this team come out on the first series and run the first 10+ plays scripted in a jumbo package? Pound the ball, pound the ball, and pound the ball, run play action Cook up the seam, and then pound the ball again until we A) cross the 50 B)Score a freaking touchdown or C) punt the ball away.

I love power football, I formations, simple leads and iso's and tosses. I love fullbacks and blocking tight ends and linebackers getting blown up by angry Olinemen pushing through the second level. I love cut blocks and crack blocks and double teams at the point of attack.

I see NONE of that.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Why doesn't this team come out on the first series and run the first 10+ plays scripted in a jumbo package? Pound the ball, pound the ball, and pound the ball, run play action Cook up the seam, and then pound the ball again until we A) cross the 50 B)Score a freaking touchdown or C) punt the ball away.

I love power football, I formations, simple leads and iso's and tosses. I love fullbacks and blocking tight ends and linebackers getting blown up by angry Olinemen pushing through the second level. I love cut blocks and crack blocks and double teams at the point of attack.

I see NONE of that.
Well if that worked all the time, wouldn't everyone be doing it?

And if everyone jumped off a bridge, would you jump off a bridge?

Sorry ... started channeling my mom when I was 12.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I suppose that's what I was getting at, is not seeing the big picture. I guess it's convenient to use a guy with his athletic ability to backup 2 positions. But, in Greg's case, it seems like they miscalculated the effect it would have on him and they overloaded him.

I don't feel like the two positions is that big of a deal. He's just not ready.

Irish

Starter
Well if that worked all the time, wouldn't everyone be doing it?

And if everyone jumped off a bridge, would you jump off a bridge?

Sorry ... started channeling my mom when I was 12.
...I don't quite follow what you are saying...

MauiRam

Rookie
I have never said that I think he is not mentally capable. I think you're misinterpreting my point.

The offense he ran at Auburn is only slightly more advanced that the one Brian Quick ran at Appalachian State. At least when it comes to the complexity and the number of plays they ran. This coming from G. Robinson himself. So saying there is an adjustment period is putting it mildly.

To your point of him starting in the not too distant future..... are you really saying if that doesn't happen, then you are ready to write this off as a "whiff" all based on him NOT starting his rookie year?
Absolutely not! Perhaps I should have inserted a disclaimer in that sentence: "If not, (this to the Jason Smith comparison folks) well then maybe we whiffed again, but I seriously doubt it."

The Rams drafted Robinson over Matthews because of his perceived ceiling. I believe Greg will not merely be a good player for us, but a great one. I wanted us to address the O-line first in the draft period. I'll admit I initially preferred Matthews due to the perception of his being more NFL ready, however, after Greg's selection, the visual image of Robinson pancaking whiners and squawks engendered enormous appeal - I can't wait till it happens. I have never been in the camp of those who labeled Robby as a bust because he didn't start right out of the gate. Didn't we go through that scenario with Brian Quick because he was the 1st player selected on round 2?

My reference to his starting in the not too distant future was simply alluding (IMO) to the fact we are not all that deep on the O-line. If Saffold was too dinged up to go, out of curiosity who would you prefer to replace him with given our current reserves?

Earlier in this thread I asked about Saffold's health, and someone was kind enough to answer that Rodger is good to go, which is very good news. I pray he can stay healthy!

This is not the only forum I post on. There are Ram fans out there who think it is appalling Robinson is not starting given the fact the Rams used the #2 overall to select him. I am not in that camp, and never have been.

Possibly we can agree on this premise Coach O: Robinson has freakish athletic ability, and has the potential to be a perennial Pro Bowl player. Given some seasoning, he should pay dividends in full.

Did anyone happen to hear what Schlereth had to say about Robinson on Sedano & Stink the other day? Schlereth has never demonstrated much affinity for the Rams, but he waxed poetic over Robinson ..

Irish

Starter
I will say this:

I don't care if Orlando Pace, Joe Thomas, Greg Robinson, Larry Allen, Jesus Christ, Andre the Giant, and King Kong are lined up in the trenches for the Rams this weekend. If Zac Stacy and Tavon Austin run right at Gerald McCoy over and over again for 0-2 yards on first down, I am driving down to Rams Park, sitting in the parking lot waiting for Schotty, and hitting him over the head with a rolled up newspaper until my arm falls off.

...that, or spraying him with one of those little doggy spray bottles saying "NO! That's a bad OC! NO!"

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Possibly we can agree on this premise Coach O: Robinson has freakish athletic ability, and has the potential to be a perennial Pro Bowl player. Given some seasoning, he should pay dividends in full.

I absolutely agree with that assessment. Standing within 5 feet of this man, one could not see the physical attributes he has. I guess I came off too strong, if my comments made it seem like I am not a fan of the pick.

What I am not a fan of, is people thinking he needs to be rushed into service based solely on where he was drafted. And that, it seems is what an awful lot of fans seem to be saying.

As I mentioned in my previous post, if Fisher and Snead have shown one consistent trait, its that they make their picks based on what they feel will be long term successes. While many don't seem to either appreciate that, or to say the least agree with it, I for one, have zero issues with it.

AZRamsFan93

It is a badge of honor. It means you have a bright future if the young players are any good. It's all about rebuilding for sustainability.

Lovie Smith and Leslie Frazier are not known for being blitz heavy or running exotic blitzes. They run the Tampa 2 which is fairly straight-forward and focus more than anything on execution on the back-end and pressuring with the front 4.
Based upon observation, maybe the team should rethink their personnel strategies. It is not a badge of honor if the young players are not very good. Will they be? Who knows? I can't see the future.

If Austin Davis is our QB I predict that we will lose this game, and he will be sacked at least 4 times. I also predict that Tampa will blitz.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Based upon observation, maybe the team should rethink their personnel strategies. It is not a badge of honor if the young players are not very good. Will they be? Who knows? I can't see the future.

Good to know that you can't see the future. Maybe you can stop connecting Greg Robinson to Jason Smith then.(major pet peeve)

Based upon observation, this team would be foolish to rethink their personnel strategies. What's your recommendation here? Go sign a bunch of old veterans? Going young is the way to go. But most teams can go young because they didn't draft terribly for a decade which kept them from accruing veteran talent.

AZRamsFan93

Good to know that you can't see the future. Maybe you can stop connecting Greg Robinson to Jason Smith then.(major pet peeve)

Based upon observation, this team would be foolish to rethink their personnel strategies. What's your recommendation here? Go sign a bunch of old veterans? Going young is the way to go. But most teams can go young because they didn't draft terribly for a decade which kept them from accruing veteran talent.
I didn't equate Robinson to Smith. I stated that they were both athletic yet raw tackles coming out of college. I stand by that observation. Hopefully Robinson eventually gets it, but this team needs help now. That was a sarcastic shot at me - I thought this site was about debating football without attacking other posters. I guess not.

If the team plans on going all youth then they should target a 5 or 6 year rebuilding plan, not 3 year. I am very concerned that this year will be a major step backward.

jjab360

Legend
"outside of the stunt"..... which is exactly what I have said his issues are. They stunted ONE TIME, and he whiffed. If you can tell me that a defense will only stunt once in the time he is on the field, then great, get him out there. But we both know that isn't realistic.
It was also his very first play in the game, coming on the field cold. Are you going to ignore that?

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Dang, how smart is this kid? Did he graduate from Auburn?