Any word on Grob starting this week?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iced

Watched the same plays. Outside of the missed stunt, looked good to me.
the biggie is the stunt/recognition of it; as far as how deep he goes, was trying to figure out if he's purposely moving back or being over powered.. I'd like to see it more shallow, but based on that small sample size he leads me to believe he definitely would be an improvement over joseph.

AZRamsFan93

Not sure what your definition is of a "more polished" choice would have been. Matthews? And where exactly would he have fit in on THIS YEAR's team?
Good point, but G Rob is a tackle as well.
As to Tampa blitzing, while it might happen, it would go against the grain that is the staple of Lovie's "Tampa 2" scheme. They rely on getting pressure from the front four, and drop 7 into coverage MOST of the time.
True. I would adjust my scheme based on film from last week.

jjab360

Legend
the biggie is the stunt/recognition of it; as far as how deep he goes, was trying to figure out if he's purposely moving back or being over powered.. I'd like to see it more shallow, but definitely would be an improvement over joseph.
I guess I'm just not seeing what you're seeing. Outside of the stunt, didn't even come close to allowing a pressure. Sat down and stonewalled his guy the rest of the game.

iced

I guess I'm just not seeing what you're seeing. Outside of the stunt, didn't even come close to allowing a pressure. Sat down and stonewalled his guy the rest of the game.

it's a small critique - and i think it would be an issue if a guy is stunting to his side if he's deeper then the center and rg... Like I said,not a huge deal, just something of note

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Not sure what you're seeing CoachO, I've gotta side with JJ on this one. Robinson looked bad on the stunt, his first regular season play, but after that he looked like a wall to me.

He's going against a very good DT most of the time too.

As he will on most Sundays. I guess I am misstating my point here. I have no doubt that Robinson WILL develop into a stud. He has all the physical tools. But RIGHT NOW, IMO, he is not there.

Again, this doesn't have as much to do with him, as it does with the guys they are playing right now. I just am not of the opinion that they played as poorly as many seem to think. And, at least for me, I think they are playing the 5 most consistent players (at this time) in terms of knowing their assignments.

If and when Robinson shows a better understanding of his assignments, then by all means, get him in there. But until then, I would rather have the guys in there who know what they are doing, even if they aren't as physically talented.

wrstdude

Rookie
I guess you didn't see him give the ole' block on the play that resulted in the pick six? He has very little idea of what to do when they run any kind of a stunt in front of him. He continually blocks the wrong guy, and doesn't seem to understand the concept of passing off and picking up someone who may not have started the play lined up across from him.
I noted the same thing before the draft.

iced

As he will on most Sundays. I guess I am misstating my point here. I have no doubt that Robinson WILL develop into a stud. He has all the physical tools. But RIGHT NOW, IMO, he is not there.

Again, this doesn't have as much to do with him, as it does with the guys they are playing right now. I just am not of the opinion that they played as poorly as many seem to think. And, at least for me, I think they are playing the 5 most consistent players (at this time) in terms of knowing their assignments.

If and when Robinson shows a better understanding of his assignments, then by all means, get him in there. But until then, I would rather have the guys in there who know what they are doing, even if they aren't as physically talented.

My thing is - I saw worse from joseph.. he missed a couple of his own assignments but more importantly, was getting overpowered by Floyd while Robinson did a good job against him. joseph was pretty much bad, didn't matter who was across from him.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
"outside of the stunt"..... which is exactly what I have said his issues are. They stunted ONE TIME, and he whiffed. If you can tell me that a defense will only stunt once in the time he is on the field, then great, get him out there. But we both know that isn't realistic.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame

I agree- but I also think the best way to learn is on the job, in game against good opponents. If the drop off isn't too great from Joseph to Robinson then I'd prefer to see GRob in there, learning, making mistakes sure, but learning. Its not like Joseph played great last week; then he'll progress quicker and we'll have a better o-line quicker.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
This has been beaten to death. It's all based off of one game. If it doesn't get better, then I will be the first in line to say something needs to change. But, at least for me, this is so much better than the days of Quinn Ojinnaka being the best we could do.

I think for many, its all about where the guy was drafted, and the expectations that obviously come with that. What if, just for arguments sake, that Brandon Washington is the better option at this point? Would people be clamoring for him to be put in there after one week?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I agree- but I also think the best way to learn is on the job, in game against good opponents. If the drop off isn't too great from Joseph to Robinson then I'd prefer to see GRob in there, learning, making mistakes sure, but learning. Its not like Joseph played great last week; then he'll progress quicker and we'll have a better o-line quicker.
Normally I would tend to agree with you,, but add in the variable of having a 3rd string QB, who doesn't understand where the pressure is coming from, nor where to go with the ball when it gets there, and its a recipe for disaster, IMO.

You don't "learn" on the job, when it means you put people in jeopardy of being injured when they make the kinds of mistakes he is bound to make.

iced

I think for many, its all about where the guy was drafted, and the expectations that obviously come with that. What if, just for arguments sake, that Brandon Washington is the better option at this point? Would people be clamoring for him to be put in there after one week?

For me it's simply my horror of Joseph's play after rewatching the first half, and realizing that we got much better play from GRob against the same DTackle..and let's not forget it was Joseph who let Todd johnson (who the hell?) beat him for a sack on Hill late, and it was Joseph's guy that got pressure on the pick. I'd rather gamble with Grob and let him learn the stunts because I know at least physically he is more than capable.

If you think I'm exaggerating about Joseph's play - go pump up game rewind, put it on condensed, and just watch joseph.. shouldn't take but maybe 10 minutes to just watch the first half offensive possessions... that short horror flick was on par with the conjuring

MauiRam

Rookie
However you slice it or dice it, only game reps will get Robinson the experience he needs. If Greg is mentally tough enough to forget each play (whether he wins or loses) and take each snap anew, I'm sure he'll be fine. I think it's fair to say there aren't too many folks here who doubt his physical talents. He just needs to go out there and earn his chops. He's going to lose some battles for sure, but if he's tough enough mentally, he'll be fine in the end. In the meantime, it is hard for us fans to see him blow his assignments, but we need to remember he's a rookie after all.

Anybody heard how Saffold is doing? Is he probable/questionable/doubtful?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
However you slice it or dice it, only game reps will get Robinson the experience he needs. If Greg is mentally tough enough to forget each play (whether he wins or loses) and take each snap anew, I'm sure he'll be fine. I think it's fair to say there aren't too many folks here who doubt his physical talents. He just needs to go out there and earn his chops. He's going to lose some battles for sure, but if he's tough enough mentally, he'll be fine in the end. In the meantime, it is hard for us fans to see him blow his assignments, but we need to remember he's a rookie after all.

Saffold's good to go. He wasn't even on the last injury report.

CoachO

Hall of Fame

To say the only way he gets the experience is thru game reps is not accurate IMO.

We aren't sitting in the meeting rooms. We aren't seeing how he grades out when they implement the game plans. And they are tested on the different assignments before they ever see the practice field. If he can't understand the concepts of the game plan in the classroom why would any coaching staff expect him to figure it out with game reps?

The offensive line is the most mentally challenging position on a football team outside of the QB. And by his own admission, he has not felt up to speed yet.

Again, that doesn't mean I think he won't "figure it out". But it doesn't seem to have happened yet.

MauiRam

Rookie
To say the only way he gets the experience is thru game reps is not accurate IMO.
Obviously Greg won’t see the field until he can assimilate the classroom stuff, that’s a moot point. My contention was, that when the day comes where he is given the go ahead, he needs to play and take his lumps like any other rookie.
We aren't sitting in the meeting rooms. We aren't seeing how he grades out when they implement the game plans. And they are tested on the different assignments before they ever see the practice field. If he can't understand the concepts of the game plan in the classroom why would any coaching staff expect him to figure it out with game reps?
My point is that the only way he can fully integrate/implement all the conceptual aspects of his game is on the field of play. One would think the Rams did their due diligence prior to selecting Robinson. If Greg has the IQ of a radish, or any serious form of learning disability, I believe the Rams would have been aware of it.

From the get go, the Rams inferred that Greg would be a “project” because of the type of spread offense he played in college. The Rams staff hoped he could be plugged in at guard to start off. (A position he hadn’t played since high school), and eventually segue into playing tackle. That as far as I know, is still the plan. I expect Greg to be starting in the not too distant future. If not, well then maybe we whiffed again, but I seriously doubt it.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I

The offensive line is the most mentally challenging position on a football team outside of the QB. And by his own admission, he has not felt up to speed yet.

Again, that doesn't mean I think he won't "figure it out". But it doesn't seem to have happened yet.
I tend to agree. If we put everyone out there that fans thought deserved to be there, and they all had to learn on the fly despite being fully acclimated with their respective responsibilities, it actually WOULD look a lot worse.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Obviously Greg won’t see the field until he can assimilate the classroom stuff, that’s a moot point. My contention was, that when the day comes where he is given the go ahead, he needs to play and take his lumps like any other rookie.

My point is that the only way he can fully integrate/implement all the conceptual aspects of his game is on the field of play. One would think the Rams did their due diligence prior to selecting Robinson. If Greg has the IQ of a radish, or any serious form of learning disability, I believe the Rams would have been aware of it.

From the get go, the Rams inferred that Greg would be a “project” because of the type of spread offense he played in college. The Rams staff hoped he could be plugged in at guard to start off. (A position he hadn’t played since high school), and eventually segue into playing tackle. That as far as I know, is still the plan. I expect Greg to be starting in the not too distant future. If not, well then maybe we whiffed again, but I seriously doubt it.

I have never said that I think he is not mentally capable. I think you're misinterpreting my point.

The offense he ran at Auburn is only slightly more advanced that the one Brian Quick ran at Appalachian State. At least when it comes to the complexity and the number of plays they ran. This coming from G. Robinson himself. So saying there is an adjustment period is putting it mildly.

To your point of him starting in the not too distant future..... are you really saying if that doesn't happen, then you are ready to write this off as a "whiff" all based on him NOT starting his rookie year? This is a draft pick like many in the Fisher/Snead era, which was made for the long haul. The only people I hear expressing any concern over him not starting, are fans who base it all on his draft position.

PeteMD

UDFA
I have never said that I think he is not mentally capable. I think you're misinterpreting my point.

The offense he ran at Auburn is only slightly more advanced that the one Brian Quick ran at Appalachian State. At least when it comes to the complexity and the number of plays they ran. This coming from G. Robinson himself. So saying there is an adjustment period is putting it mildly.

To your point of him starting in the not too distant future..... are you really saying if that doesn't happen, then you are ready to write this off as a "whiff" all based on him NOT starting his rookie year? This is a draft pick like many in the Fisher/Snead era, which was made for the long haul. The only people I hear expressing any concern over him not starting, are fans who base it all on his draft position.

I partly agree with you. But since we have the youngest team in the NFL it is very important to have this years draftclass step in and play at a certain level - otherwise it is hard to take a step forward. I dont think he was picked to high or that he is not living up to the expectations. I thought (or hoped), that he would start at LG and R. Saffold at RG - where he did well last year.