Andrew Whitworth expected to sign with LA Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Does it really matter if your bringing in a key player ?? Comp ?? What will The Rams get if they let GRob go the following year ?? What kind of Comp did they give up by wasting draft picks on Jared Goff if you can't protect him ?? What good is a WR if you don't have time to throw to them ??
--- How long are Saffold & Barnes signed for ?? Saffold will. Ring something back & Tru if The Rams add depth at CB .. The Rams have some excellent Comp picks moving forward. Kenny Britt was a great value FA .. The problem is The Rams should have seen the player Kenny Britt was going to be. He was young & was maturing into a solid player(man) who was doing the right things.
Kenny Britts problem has never been that he was not an excellent WR. The problem Kenny had was Kenny Britt himself. -- Kenny Britt does have trouble concentrating & drops passes at bad times. He still jumps offside as a WR which should never happen.
WHooooa.. Calm down man. I was just pointing out how the comp system works.(y)

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I still find it hard to believe that a well regarded NFL offensive line coach, with decades of experience, and a history of getting the most out of guys, didn't coach Robinson correctly. Maybe Robinson just needs a different voice. Looking back, that rookie season trying to learn to play guard sure seems like a poor decision.
I think Robinson played excellent at Guard. Overpowered Justin Smith that game.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
I think Robinson played excellent at Guard. Overpowered Justin Smith that game.
It isn't the guard play, as much as the position switch that hurt his development. I suppose they could have just left him at guard, but either way he needed to have one position.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I still find it hard to believe that a well regarded NFL offensive line coach, with decades of experience, and a history of getting the most out of guys, didn't coach Robinson correctly. Maybe Robinson just needs a different voice. Looking back, that rookie season trying to learn to play guard sure seems like a poor decision.

It is a mystery as to what happened, but I think part of it comes from offensive schemes - set in place by bad coordinators - that were utterly incoherent. To me it looked as though last year's offense - particularly what they were trying to do with the OL - was a complete mismatch with the physical skill sets of the guys we had drafted. And given the staggering incompetence of Rob Boras as an OC, I'm not sure Boudreau would have been able to fix things even if he himself had been perfect.

Edited to add: Pretty much every single OLineman on the Rams regressed last year. What changed from the year before? The OC.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
For the love of god leave big Rob alone and plug in Grob at the guard position right next to Whit
Think that's all they are signing him for. He could be an inspiration to the younger crowd we got due to his vet status. This should help Goff...

I don't think should is the right word. It is will help !! Just look at the roster & what this does to the depth ?? Wichmann I think needs to learn to play guard. The completion now at guard is huge !! Who is going to get cut & who is going to step up ?? GRob is going to get better no matter what .

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
For those interested. A good grade in signing. by a harsh grader. No one has rated higher yet

Thursday, March 9

i

Andrew Whitworth, Rams
Grade: B+

The Rams have spent years attempting to develop their left tackle of the future without any success. Now they have their best left tackle since Hall of Famer Orlando Pace left town. Whitworth isn't quite a Hall of Famer, but he's been one of the five best left tackles in football for several years now while protecting Andy Dalton's blind side in Cincinnati. He hasn't slipped much, if at all; STATS LLC suggests Whitworth didn't allow a single sack during the 2016 season.

The 35-year-old obviously isn't going to be Los Angeles' left tackle for the long haul, which raises questions as to why a rebuilding team would hand Whitworth a three-year, $36-million deal. There are two clear arguments for the deal. One is that the Rams are really only committed to Whitworth for one year; they guaranteed the three-time Pro Bowler $12.5 million in 2017 with just $2.5 million due in guarantees the following year. That's paying Whitworth less than the franchise tag would have cost this season.

Jared Goff. Goff was a mess in the pocket as a rookie but was also beset by pass pressure; he faced the league's third-highest blitz rate (34.3 percent) and its second-highest pressure rate (35.6 percent) while taking sacks an unreal 11.2 percent of the time. No quarterback was going to look remotely competent under that level of pressure, let alone somebody as inexperienced as Goff. Whitworth should take over for the massively frustrating Greg Robinson and lock down one side of the line for the time being.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure how it will play out I am sure Havenstein will be in the mix I'm thinking Robinson to RG for the running game to get more push.
Saffold and Whitworth with the veteran presence on the left side. Now we really need a center in this draft and the offensive line might be okay

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
This is one signing I never saw coming I guess Grob is gonna be moving to guard or to the bench.
Or to Right Tackle....
Make it so Kromer!

Nah. Whitworth is the model of health and reliability.

Its significant that the first FA during the McVay regime is a smart, healthy veteran LT.
Its true but you should probably knock on some wood just to be safe...
You two....I've never been superstitious...well, I hate to break mirrors..but I've worked some construction and shit breaks. I also hate to see a black cat cross my path...and accidents always come in 3's. Ok, maybe I'm a lil superstitious... but I learned in these threads... you never say, this game is over...
so you two....just gave Andy the kiss of death.:huh::notsure::wtf::rolllaugh:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Where is the crowd that said GRob was much better than thought of and was picked on by the refs?

I am not being sarcastic. I want to hear some counter thoughts.

My first reaction is that Kromer must not see GRob as an OLT at all if they move him to Guard. Otherwise this move would just delay his development as an OLT.

Or Kromer doesn't like Havenstein, or he is seriously injured. Even if GRob took over at ORT, it won't develop his Left Tackle skills. Interesting development. I guess the Rams will be looking for a new Left Tackle in the coming years, which sucks because it can be a very difficult position to fill.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
This makes me think a deal for for Tru might be coming... Or some surprising releases maybe.

So very, very happy with this move.
Its significant that the first FA during the McVay regime is a smart, healthy veteran LT.

Alright Kromer. You have a REAL building block in terms of skill, professionalism and leadership traits.
Lets see if you can make lemonade out of the rest of the bunch.

I think you under estimate The Rams youth & depth.

I just know J32 Loved Kromer as a OLine coach . You go around & look at his body of work & have to think what he is going to be able to do with this group.
He will be able to pick out the sour.

Wichmann,Brown,Donnal are your backups now at guard ?? GRob is your back up LT ?? Saffold plays Tackle as well. Wichmann hopefully can learn to be a solid center.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams agreed to terms with LT Andrew Whitworth, formerly of the Bengals, on a three-year, $36 million contract with $15 million guaranteed.

:santa:
Seeing this this morning just made my year! Sure puts a hurt on that very young team theme.......I gave this signing about ZERO % in happening. Maybe there's magic in the Demoff/Snead/McVay trio?

What this signing does to Rodger Saffold & Greg Robinson remain to be seen. With a new starting LT & Havenstein locked in @ RT there's no other starting OT posts left for GRob. Meaning if GRob want to continue his career in the NFL he will have to settle with competing & vying with other OG' for a starting position. A now healthy Jamon Brown entering his 3rd season is sure to have a sizeable leg up @ LG over GRob so a big battle @ LG may not take place.

McVay & Kromer already have a very good ( the only trending positive improving Ram OL'er in 2016) reserve backup RT in the 6-6/320 pound Andrew Donnal who finished 7 games as the starter & started the last four on the right side. So GRob might not be in a good position to push the smart & brainy Andrew Donnal out. Plus AD has proven smart enough to play 4 different NFL OL posts whereas GRob has mastered ????

Rodger Saffold position is on very shaky ground his main value to this team was being the main reserve to the LT post but also to the RT post. He still has worth but his over $6.2 million contract cost hit could be cut to $4.2 million saved if he is released. This is the more probable event IMO.

I would not stop here I would release Saffold & go sign a premium UFA OG to join Andrew Whitworth in this new lineup. Now lets see Goff stand behind solid pass protection & light up the NFL world.

Last edited: