After reviewing all the vet FA QB options...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
I dont understand how by comparison Sam is the "best option" when his inability to stay on the field is the main reason the Rams need to look elsewhere

What else would you do chief? We're open to ideas. ;):cool:

FRO

Legend
I think Sanchez is the guy. He is turnover prone, but he knows the system and had a decent year this year. Still fairly young. While not a great starter I think he is an upgrade over the guys we had last year.

I think the Rams go the veteran route to improve their QB situation. I expect a Sanchez, Glennon, or Cousins type in here next year. This team is primed to win and I'm not sure a rookie QB will get us there in 2015. It would be good to nab one in the second or third round to develop however.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What else would you do chief? We're open to ideas. ;):cool:
I dont know what I'd suggest becasue we dont know who's available yet.
I like the Glennon idea. I'd gladly take Cutler off of Chicago's hands. If the Rams were to trade up to get Winston or Mariota, it would change perspective on who to "get"
In any event, from a pure talent perspective, Sam is head and shoulders above anyone out there. I get that. However it doesnt change the fact that the liklihood of him playing 16 IMO is slim and none. So he's never the "best" option if the chances of him watching the game on the sidelines in street clothes are extremely high

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I dont know what I'd suggest becasue we dont know who's available yet.
I like the Glennon idea. I'd gladly take Cutler off of Chicago's hands. If the Rams were to trade up to get Winston or Mariota, it would change perspective on who to "get"
In any event, from a pure talent perspective, Sam is head and shoulders above anyone out there. I get that. However it doesnt change the fact that the liklihood of him playing 16 IMO is slim and none. So he's never the "best" option if the chances of him watching the game on the sidelines in street clothes are extremely high
I've never gotten the Glennon love if he's not even good enough to start for Tampa Bay. Cutler isn't worth it even without the huge contract. Mariota would cost a ton to get and a lot of people are saying he's just the best of a bad class and not all that good himself, and Winston is a headcase and they end up being huge busts.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've never gotten the Glennon love if he's not even good enough to start for Tampa Bay. Cutler isn't worth it even without the huge contract. Mariota would cost a ton to get and a lot of people are saying he's just the best of a bad class and not all that good himself, and Winston is a headcase and they end up being huge busts.
16 games of any of them will be better than 4-6 games of Sam before he gets hurt.
Again

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
16 games of any of them will be better than 4-6 games of Sam before he gets hurt.
Again
Sure, if we absolutely know it's the case that they will all go 16 games and Sam won't. That's just your guess, especially the first part.

And I would disagree that 16 games of Cutler or Winston would be worth it anyway.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Dieter,

I hear you about it being like comparing apples to oranges when we look at talent vs injury-likelihood when it comes to Sam but I think another way of looking at it is: it's not apples to oranges as much as it's taking all variances into account. If we graded QB prospects on what they could bring to the team, Sam's injury grade would be much lower than others (though, others would have grades - it's not as if there aren't injury concerns with some FA QBs) - it's just one variance among many including: arm strength, smarts, leadership, price, knowledge of offensive sxs.

Now, let's expand that to grading the QB position as a whole. All three spots (QB1, backup, practice squad). I'd even go so far as to grade Sam Bradford at a lower price and a rookie QB* and a seasoned backup (maybe Hill) as the best option for the QB position as a whole.

We may disagree, of course. Regardless, I'm super happy if I'm wrong and the Rams take a ham sandwich in the 1st round and install him as the QB and we win 16 games. My pride would never supersede my desire to win and kick a@@.

*PS, this crop of QBs in the draft will most likely be a really crappy bunch. I'm not sure there's a win there for us but it's still worth a shot.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Here's the question to ask about Glennon: Yes, he didn't have an o-coordinator this year, he had a crap oline... but, he had amazing skill players on offense. If you can't put up better numbers with those WRs and that halfback... what does that say about him?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dieter,

I hear you about it being like comparing apples to oranges when we look at talent vs injury-likelihood when it comes to Sam but I think another way of looking at it is: it's not apples to oranges as much as it's taking all variances into account. If we graded QB prospects on what they could bring to the team, Sam's injury grade would be much lower than others (though, others would have grades - it's not as if there aren't injury concerns with some FA QBs) - it's just one variance among many including: arm strength, smarts, leadership, price, knowledge of offensive sxs.

Now, let's expand that to grading the QB position as a whole. All three spots (QB1, backup, practice squad). I'd even go so far as to grade Sam Bradford at a lower price and a rookie QB* and a seasoned backup (maybe Hill) as the best option for the QB position as a whole.

We may disagree, of course. Regardless, I'm super happy if I'm wrong and the Rams take a ham sandwich in the 1st round and install him as the QB and we win 16 games. My pride would never supersede my desire to win and kick a@@.

*PS, this crop of QBs in the draft will most likely be a really crappy bunch. I'm not sure there's a win there for us but it's still worth a shot.
Well, I appreciate that you understand the only point I was trying to make. And that is simply that there isnt a corelation between the talent available and the need to bring back Bradford. No matter how great or poor the talent pool is, it doesnt change Sam's injury prone history.
The lack of stability at the QB position over the past 2 years has been extremely detrimental to the success of the team.
That factor needs to be eliminated

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
There is no guarantee that any player, least of all a QB behind the Rams Oline will play a full season.

Having two or three QBs that are interchangeable would be great but the CBA won't even let the #1s get enough practice to be proficient how are the 1b and 1c going to get reps? Maybe the rosters need to be expanded to allow more QBs on the roster? Maybe there should be a grooming entity to build NFL ready players?

While all of that would be great they have to deal with what is there and available now and since that is the case Sam is the best solution for this team no matter what Kronke has to pay him. And the next fact is this Oline did not get it done, has not gotten it done for a decade and needs the most attention of any unit. FA draft existing players what ever it takes this unit is the one thing holding back the team the most.

I'm not sure either Hill or Davis should be kept, neither has the arm strength needed to play in the NFL. Bring in as many players as they can get at QB and sort through them for the best three scenarios. Arena football, CFL, college I don't care where they come from there have to be better arms out there than we have seen behind Sam.

But first and foremost FIX THE OLINE!!!!!