After four years of Jeff Fisher, Rams' regression means it's time for change/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

the rams need a legit oc. they just can't cut all the offensive players and start again. a years experience for all the young olinemen will hopefully have them better prepared for the future. they need an oc that can scheme well and get the job done.

oh, and a qb that can deliver the ball on time and on target. how hard can that be? they've been doing it all their lives.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I don't want Fisher gone, especially not when the difference between 4-7 and 6-5 is basically 2 field goals. And every team has injuries, but losing Quinn, Ogletree, Long and Gaines is a killer.
Kneejerk (courtesy Queen) "I want it all, and I want it now" mentality just makes me tired. It's as american as apple pie, but with fans, it's over the top.

Give JF his five years, and look at an extension at the end of '16 - problem being, that doesn't seem like the way it works. With a year left on their contract, seems like coaches either get canned or extended.
This sounds (to some - maybe most - of us), like a tired excuse, but the "He's had 4 years" mantra is a bit unfair given what he inherited, ESPECIALLY with what's happened at the QB position, but it's still true nonetheless.
But if the Rams clean house, we STILL don't have a QB or decent WRs, (and lack of WRs IS Fisher's fault), so what good will it do?

Maybe more discipline, not a JF strong suit, and a new OC (might help, but still think it's the QB). The Oline should be OK next year, (and even have experienced depth).
The D won't be any better, and might regress. Drafting won't be better, although it can be argued that it's been a bit one-sided. And I don't want GW gone either, (or Snead, though he's not necessarily tied to Fisher).

So seriously, what will we gain with a new coach? Panthers were 7-8-1 last year, and this is Rivera's 5th year. Continuity boys...continuity. If we suck next year, fire his ass, but not now.

(Aside - his having gone through a move has absolutely no relevance at all in this discussion - I don't even know what that means).

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
If the Rams finish 6-10 I believe they will stay the course and Fisher will make wholesale changes on his coaching staff offensively. However, if the Rams lose the rest of their games all bets are off, nepotism or not.
You may be right.

I may be crazy.

BUT.

It just may be a lunatic you're looking for.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Bang your head! metal health'll drive you mad
Band your head! metal health'll drive you mad
Sweet. I remember jamming that song while cruising my small town with friends in my Volkswagon Bug. I think I invested like $80 (at the time, that was some big coin) in the radio and speakers just so I could personify what cool really is as I drove down the street. lol. Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Den.

[av]http://ia600703.us.archive.org/16/items/leo_and_debbie1/10BangYourHeadmetalHealth-.mp3[/av]

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Yeah the power run scheme works. You have to be able to pass the ball too and block upfront. I would like a balanced approach going forward. I'm really interested in Hue Jackson and Gase. Both seemed to out scheme our own Williams, which is hard to do.
What I don't get is ... he wants a power running game. They drafted maulers and downhill blockers then .... this yr they go to a zone blocking scheme ,,,,??? WTF?

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
What I don't get is ... he wants a power running game. They drafted maulers and downhill blockers then .... this yr they go to a zone blocking scheme ,,,,??? WTF?

Yeah, didn't get that.

Counter to what they have on the OL

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Because this.

VIDEO

Havenstein and Brown ran zone in college, and Saffold (if healthy) can pave a road in outside zone. IMO, it wasn't a big deal to ask them to do more of it (Rams ran inside and outside zone in 2014 too). It just requires reps and a bit of patience on Gurley's behalf to wait for the cutback lane to open. Having so many injuries and having to employ multiple different offensive line combinations has put a damper on that, and they're doing less of it now as a result.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
I disagree and I think it is 95% Offense. Greg Williams has three of his best players out and they are still doing pretty darn good especially with the horrible offense.
Hiring and keeping Shottenheimer was Fisher's biggest mistake on offense and Gignetti is way better but the play calling is bland and predictable. The Rams did get Jake Long but who knew he would bust so badly.
Time to play Mannion. You have to see if he can play or not especially when you are going to be looking for another QB. Who knows, he could be a great QB. If not then why did the Rams draft him? To have a 3rd round pick sit on the bench?

FRO

Legend
I don't understand it at all. It blows my mind. You drafted big maulers, go let them bully defenses. Do not get it.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Because this.

VIDEO

Havenstein and Brown ran zone in college, and Saffold (if healthy) can pave a road in outside zone. IMO, it wasn't a big deal to ask them to do more of it (Rams ran inside and outside zone in 2014 too). It just requires reps and a bit of patience on Gurley's behalf to wait for the cutback lane to open. Having so many injuries and having to employ multiple different offensive line combinations has put a damper on that, and they're doing less of it now as a result.
Thanks X

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Sure thing dude.

Another thing, now that I'm thinking about it, is that they seem to be switching to becoming a zone blocking team - or at least that was the intent early on. I know they probably could have drafted some guys who ran it a ton in college, but they kind of found themselves in a situation where they needed top rated linemen and lots of them. So I guess it was easier for them to draft the guys they wanted and teach them to run zone effectively, or draft lower rated/ranked players who were already proficient at it. Tough decision to make. I really don't know why they wanted to run more zone, but I guess it could be linked to Cignetti and him wanting to get a lot of those jet sweeps and reverses into the playbook, so he put in some inside zone runs as well that he could call on jet sweep fakes. Running away from jet motion will take advantage of LBs flowing with the jet motion and creates a natural cut back as the LB flowing to the jet sweep tries to gain outside leverage.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's a question. What would Williams as HC look like? He certainly knows how to motivate his defense, and plays an exciting style...but what would his offense look like?

He was close to getting the job in Washington, and some fans hate Snyder for not giving it to him.

Can he be a contender for the position after bountygate?

Greg Williams coached the Buffalo Bills for at least two years back in the early 2000's maybe. Unsuccessfully I might add, from what I remember.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Sure thing dude.

Another thing, now that I'm thinking about it, is that they seem to be switching to becoming a zone blocking team - or at least that was the intent early on. I know they probably could have drafted some guys who ran it a ton in college, but they kind of found themselves in a situation where they needed top rated linemen and lots of them. So I guess it was easier for them to draft the guys they wanted and teach them to run zone effectively, or draft lower rated/ranked players who were already proficient at it. Tough decision to make. I really don't know why they wanted to run more zone, but I guess it could be linked to Cignetti and him wanting to get a lot of those jet sweeps and reverses into the playbook, so he put in some inside zone runs as well that he could call on jet sweep fakes. Running away from jet motion will take advantage of LBs flowing with the jet motion and creates a natural cut back as the LB flowing to the jet sweep tries to gain outside leverage.
I just have always heard ... and noticed, that good OL in ZB schemes were usually smaller but very athletic. The guys we took are HUGE maulers and just don't fit that prototype.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I just have always heard ... and noticed, that good OL in ZB schemes were usually smaller but very athletic. The guys we took are HUGE maulers and just don't fit that prototype.
I don't know about smaller, but you definitely want athletic. And I guess rookies and younger O-linemen fit that bill.
I mean, let's face it, when you're up over 285 lbs, you're not necessarily athletic anyway. But the younger you are, the more you can move.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I don't know about smaller, but you definitely want athletic. And I guess rookies and younger O-linemen fit that bill.
I mean, let's face it, when you're up over 285 lbs, you're not necessarily athletic anyway. But the younger you are, the more you can move.
Most the guys, with the exception of Donnal, and Havenstein, both RT only players, would have very high SPARQ scores.

FrankenRam

Starter
IMO I don't see the Rams winning another game and at 4-12 ESK needs to make the change. If he wants to promote Les Snead and give him a VP title encompassed with GM and allow Les to hire the next Head Coach then fine, but the time is now!

If 4-12 turns out to be what happens, I like that idea. Not sure why so many folks seem so down on Snead.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
If 4-12 turns out to be what happens, I like that idea. Not sure why so many folks seem so down on Snead.
Don't count me as one of them. The draft is a crapshoot, and Snead has shot shit, as well as anybody, IMO. Even gave us more chances to succeed. Snead's ability to move around, and gain picks is above average, at least.

Plus, I really like his hair, it's so dreamy.